Detroit selected to host 2019 U.S. Figure Skating Championships

meggonzo

Banned Member
I have tickets for Skate America 2017, so I just looked at what temperature are there these days and it says tomorrow: (-8 ..-17 Celsius)(17...1 ºF), OMG!!! Lake Placid is in NY or Antarctica? -17ºC? W..T..F.. :eek::scream::wall::fragile:

Is that the current overnight temp? I looked at the 10 day forecast and the highs are 30-40s F.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Don’t look at today|tomorrow temps in Lake Placid as there is an arctic blast right now, will get milder in a few days.

YAY Detroit, I like that city as fond memories of the Grand Prix (car racing). I can drive there too, will take four or five hours but saves a flight.

acraven

You guys complaining about Boston Nationals and Skate American in Detroit must not have gone to St. Paul.

I did. (But I'm still not looking forward to Detroit in January.)

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
What?! When did that happen and how did I miss it? I know I've been busy and not on here as much but dang it, that makes things more challenging. I might still have to make it work though because I've never been to Anaheim. I'll have to see. Hmmmm..... :yikes:
@HeatherC, here is the GSD thread from last month: Decisions of the ISU Council: 2018/19 Grand Prix order & JGP dates/locations; 2019 4CC to Anaheim CA

Detroit SC has limited seating in their main rink (rink C) -- does anyone know how many people can be accommodated?

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
You guys complaining about Boston Nationals and Skate American in Detroit must not have gone to St. Paul.

I was in St. Paul, but I only went outside once in my five days there. The tunnels are the bomb! (although a bit creepy if one attempts to traverse them alone)

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
I live in the deep South, and I didn't think it was that cold in Detroit for SA. :lol: You would've never survived the Polar Vortex of 2014 Nationals in Boston. So cold I couldn't breathe.

There was only one day that the cold bothered me..Tuesday...wind, chilled to the bones. After that I was fine.

Debbie S

Walking across the pedestrian walkway from the Seaport to the Convention Center at 8 am on Wednesday for Juv Boys was pretty brutal, too. I skipped St. Paul in favor of Worlds. ;)

jkl

I went to Skate Detroit this past July (where I heard that Detroit got 2019 Nationals) I stayed in Southfield and found it a lovely and convenient place. I had a car then, though. I am not sure that Rink C, the largest rink at DSC, will accommodate all the fans wanting to see Novice and Junior short events.

Carolla5501

St Paul was my all time favorite. The perky weather girl announcing a "heat wave" and then saying the temperature the next day was going to be 4! (or -15 C for those of you not from the US ) LOL!

Carolla5501

I went to Skate Detroit this past July (where I heard that Detroit got 2019 Nationals) I stayed in Southfield and found it a lovely and convenient place. I had a car then, though. I am not sure that Rink C, the largest rink at DSC, will accommodate all the fans wanting to see Novice and Junior short events.

You would hope that they would limit the number of All Event and other tickets to available seats, but..........

Debbie S

You would hope that they would limit the number of All Event and other tickets to available seats, but..........
All-event tickets are sold based on the seating at the main arena. There's no way of knowing or controlling how many will want to go out to the secondary rink. The lower level events have always been open seating, first-come first-served. Of course, when the lower level events are in the main (or a similar size) arena, there are no worries, b/c usually only a small number of fans turn out for those anyway. I hope that when USFS goes back to a separate Junior Nats (I assume in 2020?), they'll go back to having all the Nov-Sr events in one arena.

Carolla5501

All-event tickets are sold based on the seating at the main arena. There's no way of knowing or controlling how many will want to go out to the secondary rink. The lower level events have always been open seating, first-come first-served. Of course, when the lower level events are in the main (or a similar size) arena, there are no worries, b/c usually only a small number of fans turn out for those anyway. I hope that when USFS goes back to a separate Junior Nats (I assume in 2020?), they'll go back to having all the Nov-Sr events in one arena.

In other words. just like this year "all event' does not mean "all events" but "those events you get to early enough to have a seat (where we didn't schedule events at the same time)"

And they wonder why some of us won't give them money years in advance any longer!

Frida80

I went to Detroit for Skate America 2013 and I thought I would die, I do not even want to imagine how it is in January.

It's horrible. I went to Detroit once in January and swore never to come back. Atlanta would be nice.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
Y’all (using that Southern term ironically) crack me up.

January in Detroit can range from sub-zero to in the 40s. Our weather here is moderated by the Great Lakes. That’s why places like Wisconsin and Minnesota have far colder weather than we do.

Besides, how much time are you really going to spend outside? I love Michigan but even I admit there’s not a whole lot of interesting thing going on outside in SE Michigan in winter.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity

Thanks for the info Sylvia. I'll have to see the prices for everything before I make any plans to attend that event. Things are always more expensive in CA. :yikes:

2004 Nationals in Atlanta was COLD. We had to walk through Olympic Park at night to get to our hotel, and it was in the 20s and 30s with a wind chill. We were running lol.

OMG, I didn't bring a winter coat with me to that Nats and nearly froze the entire week! I was layering clothes in the worst way for that whole trip. I did not expect it to be that cold at all, LOL :rofl:

I agree that St. Paul was one of the coldest Nats although I'm only speaking for 2008 since I didn't go in 2016 because I didn't want to spend another January freezing my behind off in MN, LOL :lol:

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
For 4CC in Anaheim, the Ayres will probably be an official hotel--it's across the street from the arena--so I'd recommend for anyone interested to look there first! And usually has good rates; I've stayed there tons of times, it's a great hotel. /random

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
That was the day that got me too! I stepped outside to catch the shuttle, tried to take a breath, and realized I couldn't. :wideeyes:
We went to SCOB to watch prs practice, freezing then later ended up at Jrs and had to walk across a bridge. I was practically in tears from the cold and wind!

Japanfan

It's a tough decision between Skate America 2018, GPF in Vancouver and 2019 Nationals in Detroit. Anyone know when the location for Skate America will be announced? I'd like to know that before I make a decision.

Isn't the GPF is obviously preferable to Skate America or any other Grand Prix event, since you get to see the top skaters in all the disciplines?

As to Detroit versus Vancouver, Vancouver has much milder weather. The only reason I can think of for choosing Nationals in Detroit over GPF in Vancouver is that you get more skating at the former event, and therefore more bang for your buck.

TanithandBenFan

Isn't the GPF is obviously preferable to Skate America or any other Grand Prix event, since you get to see the top skaters in all the disciplines?

As to Detroit versus Vancouver, Vancouver has much milder weather. The only reason I can think of for choosing Nationals in Detroit over GPF in Vancouver is that you get more skating at the former event, and therefore more bang for your buck.

There's something really special and extra exciting about Nationals. There's so much on thr line, and there are always so many memorable performances. I went to GPF in Quebec City, and while it was awesome to see so many of the top skaters, the energy didn't quite compare to Nationals.

I wish the US and Canada would coordinate their hosting of events better. This is the second time this decade they've hosted 4CC and GPF in the same season. Spread out the fun for us!

Japanfan

There's something really special and extra exciting about Nationals. There's so much on thr line, and there are always so many memorable performances. I went to GPF in Quebec City, and while it was awesome to see so many of the top skaters, the energy didn't quite compare to Nationals.

True. Whenever I've gone to a Nationals (3 times now, 4 come Vancouver 2018) I've always thought "It's only Nationals, nothing to get too excited about". I've gone because they are convenient to me and don't require me to pay for airfare and/or hotels. And then I've been surprised by enjoying the competition more than I expected. Part of the reason IMO is the audience, which is always so involved, and so supportive and appreciative of all the skaters. I was going to say Canadian audience, but American audiences could be the same, I don't know having never been to American Nationals.

clairecloutier

I've been to Skate America twice and it's one of my favorite events. It's exciting because it's usually the first big international of the season, and you get to see a lot of new programs for the first or second time. There's always good American skaters there, plus some international stars. It's kind of small and friendly-feeling, also it's usually less expensive. (I'm sorry to miss this year in Lake Placid.)

I've only been to one full Nationals so far (2014) and it was exciting, but I also found it stressful and kind of gut-wrenching. (I was happy for the skaters who made the Oly team--but crushed for the ones who didn't. :()

Debbie S

I enjoy seeing the lower level events at Nats. For the past few years, I've had clubmates competing, so it's been extra special, but even before that, it was exciting to watch the Novices and Juniors - some might go to the Olys one day and for others, it might be the only time they skate at Nats, but there is always a lot of energy and enthusiasm they bring. Plus at int'l events, practices aren't always open to the public, unlike Nats.

TanithandBenFan

I've been to Skate America twice and it's one of my favorite events. It's exciting because it's the usually the first big international of the season, and you get to see a lot of new programs for the first or second time. There's always good American skaters there, plus some international stars. It's kind of small and friendly-feeling, also it's usually less expensive. (I'm sorry to miss this year in Lake Placid.)

I've only been to one full Nationals so far (2014) and it was exciting, but I also found it stressful and kind of gut-wrenching. (I was happy for the skaters who made the Oly team--but crushed for the ones who didn't. :()

I love attending both SA and Nationals because they are so different as you described very well! SA is relaxed and a great chance to see big names plus lots of American skaters. Attending the past 17 Nationals has taken a few years off my life, but I wouldn't skip it for the world. I live for the high stakes drama!

manhn

When's the last time the US hosted GPF?

GPF is fun and it is nice to watch the top juniors, but GPF does not have the prestige of Worlds and never will. As a spectator in Quebec City, it felt like there were a gazillion zamboni breaks. And just when you got settled in, the competition was done.

Nationals has drama. Seeing skaters just losing out on that Olympic spot at 2010 Canadians are my most heartbreaking moments, not those who lost Olympic gold in Vancouver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information