Detroit selected to host 2019 U.S. Figure Skating Championships

Japanfan

GPF is fun and it is nice to watch the top juniors, but GPF does not have the prestige of Worlds and never will.

No, but I'm not able to get to Worlds or other events that require air travel for the time being, even on my own continent, and have only been to one worlds, because it was in my city.

So I'm super pumped about attending GPF 2018, which will be my first GPF.

And just when you got settled in, the competition was done.

There is that, but I'm always thrilled to see whatever live skating I can get.

meggonzo

Banned Member
I don't remember the weather in St. Paul in 2016 being *that* bad that week. I thought it was around 20 degrees? I imagine Boston with wind would be worse.

sk9tingfan

I don't remember the weather in St. Paul in 2016 being *that* bad that week. I thought it was around 20 degrees? I imagine Boston with wind would be worse.

You should have been there in 2008. The temperature went down to 15 below zero during that week and daily temps were in the single digits on either side of zero. By Sunday, the temperature went up to 20 + I thought it was sub-tropical.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
How many feet of standing snow can I anticipate Detroit having in January? Fifteen? Thirty? Seven hundred?

It’s usually only about 8 feet. The problem is when the shuttle doors freeze open. Then it’s hard to drink your coffee, especially if you have no lid, because it tends to freeze. It’s worse, though, when the shuttle doors freeze shut. You may be in there a long time. There’s never enough bathrooms in those things. :drama:

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
It’s usually only about 8 feet. The problem is when the shuttle doors freeze open. Then it’s hard to drink your coffee, especially if you have no lid, because it tends to freeze. It’s worse, though, when the shuttle doors freeze shut. You may be in there a long time. There’s never enough bathrooms in those things. :drama:

And how can you calculate the tax on beans when both your fingers and your brain are frozen? The horror...

stejoho40

I was there. The first few days it was MINUS 18 without the windchill.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
From the original press release: "Tickets to the 2019 U.S. Figure Skating Championships will go on sale in early 2018."

Has anyone heard anything more?

Flip Jump

The North American Auto Show will be held in Detroit Jan 14-21, so there will be a few lap overdays when Nationals start. Downtown hotels should be clear when most fans check in. I do remember in 1994 there were a few cross over days that caused some problems.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
My wife is very passionate about pickup trucks, so we are both so thrilled that the Auto Show and Nationals are happening during the same time of year in 2019! I am going to look into whether there are handgun safety classes in the Albuquerque area so we can be prepared to defend ourselves from the many criminals in Detroit. Hopefully the real dangerous ones will not be attending the skating events!

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
My wife is very passionate about pickup trucks, so we are both so thrilled that the Auto Show and Nationals are happening during the same time of year in 2019! I am going to look into whether there are handgun safety classes in the Albuquerque area so we can be prepared to defend ourselves from the many criminals in Detroit. Hopefully the real dangerous ones will not be attending the skating events!

As far as I know, Tonya Harding’s cohorts won’t be in attendance. ;)

A.H.Black

The North American Auto Show will be held in Detroit Jan 14-21, so there will be a few lap overdays when Nationals start. Downtown hotels should be clear when most fans check in. I do remember in 1994 there were a few cross over days that caused some problems.
If I recall correctly, the auto show was on during 1994 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information