Status
Not open for further replies.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Karen Chen took a big leap forward last season with a US title and a Worlds pewter. She has all the skills to join the Russians/Canadians/Japanese at the very top level and compete for Worlds titles: heart-stopping speed, jumps, skating skills, and performance qualities. This season she really needs to gain consistency and figure out the rotation on the 3lutz-3toe to really entrench herself amongst the world's elite.

Tinami Amori

Last edited:

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I don't see the US Ladies catching up any time soon. That is just my opinion. The Russians have found a winning formula........And then you throw the very competent Japanese ladies in....the US is pretty low on the totem pole. And to top it off............the Canadian Ladies came out of left field and squished the competition at Worlds.

On any given day, Ashley and Karen can be competitive. But over the long run, they aren't consistent enough. That leaves Marai.........who good for her, will land a Triple Axel in a competition or two, but has not cured her other problems (or so it seems).

Just for the record........I love Ashley and Karen. But they are going to have to up their ante a lot, and their consistency even more, to be competitive IMO.

To quote some very wise words from the past: "Ice is slippery. Anything can happen."

And it often does...

Bellanca

If Polina can pull it together, guaranteed that she will be right back in the mix.

I don't think that any particular skater is 'owed' a spot. If AW has a great season, of course, she should go. If MN has a great season, she, too, should go. If one or both falter and someone relatively unknown or new to the game shines, forget the known quantity, the household name, that is where USFS loses their way. You should go with who can deliver the goods, not the 'star' and not for sentimental reasons or commercial concerns. I am as nostalgic as they come, but success requires bold moves and an open mind.

This will be fascinating to see how it all unfolds. Will it be a team of newbies? A team of veterans? A team comprised of both? The same scenario is in place for the other disciplines, as well. So it goes in an Olympic year...

:soapbox: Ok, done ... for now. :p

Tinami Amori

To quote some very wise words from the past: "Ice is slippery. Anything can happen." And it often does...
I often see this comment, not as untrue, but as a wish for "other skaters" to fall/slip in order for your favorite to win.... I rather see all skate clean at their maximum best capacity and see which one wins.... Because that's a true win... not a fluke.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

I have a question. There is a person on that instagram link who is saying to Kwan "great! come join the adult competition".
Why "adult" and not "regular Senior Ladies"?

For example, if Kwan is willing to re-join USFSF, attend Regionals, Sectionals, Nationals, skate a Challenger comp, and have the minimums, CAN she skate Worlds and Olympics? (hypothetically.......).

VGThuy

I have a question. There is a person on that instagram link who is saying to Kwan "great! come join the adult competition".
Why "adult" and not "regular Senior Ladies"?

For example, if Kwan is willing to re-join USFSF, attend Regionals, Sectionals, Nationals, skate a Challenger comp, and have the minimums, CAN she skate Worlds and Olympics? (hypothetically.......).

Hypothetically, she can. However, that's a really big ask because as much as I love her, I don't know if she can do 6-7 triples with a triple at the end of a combination, do all the other elements at a high level and receive high GOEs for them. Not to mention the sheer amount of competitions she'd have to do. I also wonder if she really wants to go back to that lifestyle.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I'm calling bs on the claim she got her 2a back in 4 days after not jumping for 7 years. That sounds impossible.

Tinami Amori

Hypothetically, she can. However, that's a really big ask because as much as I love her, I don't know if she can do 6-7 triples with a triple at the end of a combination, do all the other elements at a high level and receive high GOEs for them. Not to mention the sheer amount of competitions she'd have to do. I also wonder if she really wants to go back to that lifestyle.
Thank you. I was asking if she can do that "by the laws of USFS and ISU", if she is she legally permitted (vs. is she capable).
Is there an age restriction or "past participation history" restriction?

VGThuy

Thank you. I was asking if she can do that "by the laws of USFS and ISU", if she is she legally permitted (vs. is she capable).
Is there an age restriction or "past participation history" restriction?

I really don't think there's a rule against it, but I hope someone more in the know will answer your question.

Tinami Amori

I'm calling bs on the claim she got her 2a back in 4 days after not jumping for 7 years. That sounds impossible.
I don't know about a 2A, but it is possible to get a few jumps back, like 2T, 2S, 2R in 2-3-4 days, after not skating for 7 years, especially if it is a bet for X-dollars and people betting against you.....

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Correct, and wasnt her layback giving her MAJOR problems at the end? Would she get out of level 1 on that?

Thats why she'd be EXCELLENT FOR PAIRS!! And we would have a good jumper!

Whats good for Deanna is good for Michelle!!!!!!!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

As these competitions tick by Im becoming more and more confident the USA ladies Oly and World team is only between

Karen, Mirai, Bradie and Ashley

Polina and GG appear to be a ways off. (doubles, falls, 2 foots, <)

Caroline, Mariah and Courtney I don't think can make that much change in 3 months.

Willin

I think Mariah has a shot along with Karen, Mirai, Bradie, Ashley, and maybe Caroline/Courtney.

We haven't seen Gracie compete, so while I agree that she didn't look great this summer, she is currently getting herself in a better place to be competitive. I want to wait until I actually see her compete after that to judge her chances. As for Polina, her jumps looked bad today and she hasn't exactly been going all out on the jumps at any club competitions, so I'm a lot more skeptical than with Gracie (who has at least been trying jumps and is getting extra help). But maybe she'll be better in a few months?

Karen and Ashley still look strong coming off last season - not in February form yet, but it's only early October so they shouldn't be in February form. Mirai also looks great. Bradie has had one good competition, but I want to see her hit on bigger stages this season. I think Mariah looks strong, but is just not consistent. If she can skate clean consistently, she has a very good chance. Caroline and Courtney don't have as strong of a case, but if the other skaters above them mess up, they could sneak in there.

But there's a lot of time for injuries and miraculous improvement and big moments at competitions, so who knows what will happen in that period of time?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Willin...

Gracie said she was going to take time off to work on stuff. Have you seen her skating of late? I haven't seen any word about it. I would be interested to know.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Has Mirai actually competed yet this season? I can't remember, and I did a search but had trouble finding anything.

Willin

@AxelAnnie There was nothing about her going cold turkey during her "break," so no one really knows what she's doing. My friends that skate at Canton aren't saying anything or posting anything about her, but they haven't posted anything about her since spring, so it may just be that they're respecting her privacy. Either way, we really have no information about what she's doing to improve and have seen no skating from her since Sun Valley, so who knows how she's looking.
We can't judge her chances if we have no idea if she's getting back into form or not. Recently she's been wearing Michigan State University stuff (some of Canton's ice dancers go/went there while training, and a few of the coaches at that rink are alumni), so I wonder if she's taking classes part time as well?

@Wyliefan Mirai will be competing her FP at the Japan Open this weekend. At the US Classic she got silver, landed the 3A, and had a total score of 183.54. So she's looking on track so far.

AxelAnnie

Willin - thank you for the information. Good for the people at Canton respecting her privacy. I hope she gets her life worked out.

As to Mirai - I hope she lands that 3A in competition. That will be a great feather in her cap.

Bellanca

I would thoughtfully opine :drama: on the fact that (((Polina))) is not quite ready for prime-time. Back to the drawing board :COP: in a BIG way. It is difficult to take time off (in Polina's case - for injury) from the ice and step it back up so quickly, to recover. I wish her a much better experience in the FS @ Finlandia.

Senior B's can be tricky, as many top-notch skaters do not want to peak at a Senior B. -- i.e., Kaetlyn Osmond, per interview, but yeesh! They want a somewhat positive experience. Winning is nice, but not the end of the world @ a Senior B. It is more about the feedback, etc. So, I hope team Edmunds does a reboot, or something. :(

What hasn't changed, is that I feel strongly any of the top U.S.A. ladies or newbies could make a move and be on the Olympic team - especially a newbie or two ... or three. ;) I would not bet on a sure thing, right now. Senior B rust... Lots of Senior B rust... :wideeyes: Stay tuned! :watch:

AxelAnnie

How about if we stop all the "peaking" nonsense, and agree that all skaters (should) want to skate their best each time on the ice. Now, will they look better at Nats....hopefully.

But saying someone didn't want to "peak" at a Senior B means what? They held back? They are going to "really start to work on stuff later...this was just pretend".

I understand pacing. However, in an Oly year, I promise, you want to be your best self every time out!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

^^^^ Agreed, sister!

I would think the skaters would want the judges thought bubble at The Olys to be, "Here's the chick who won Autumn Classic." And not "OK here comes the chick who placed 14th at Finlandia and 2 footed her landings, but I hear she's peaking."

Bellanca

Well, you should guard against injury, and a lot of skaters do not (intentionally) go 'full throttle' at a Senior B for this reason. It is a personal choice. Why do think some skaters choose to skip 4CC? - for example. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information