Status
Not open for further replies.

Willin

I'm not 100% thinking Gracie will compete, but she is a competitive person and I'm sure she'll want to be back on competitive ice this season if she feels ready. The question is if she feels ready. I don't think she'll do the GP, but I think she might aim for Nationals if she does end up competing.

@Weve3 No way is Bradie ahead of Ashley. I could see both being on the Olympic team if Bradie keeps the good work up or Bradie beating Ashley at Nationals (Ashley seems to make silly mistakes there a lot), but Ashley's resume is a lot stronger, she looked good for this point in the season at the recent club competition, and she has the international reputation for higher PCS (unlike Bradie). Bradie is a girl of the future - Ashley is the top US lady for right now.

artsciboy

Is "juniorish skating" a new old wyf's term for "young, beautiful, energetic, strong and light"?

...... I think Karen Chen is wonderful... :cheer:

I do appreciate Karen's speed and skating skills, but I don't understand many tend to downplay her deficiencies. Obviously her style, programs and PCS are highly subjective - people will either love it or they won't. Karen has big jumps and all, but she's just as prone to underrotations as her skaters in the US who get major flack. We saw that at the US Classic and now at Japan Open. While yes, she put it together at Nationals, I am always flabbergasted by the number of people who are pitching her as untouchable for the Olympic Team.

Tinami Amori

I do appreciate Karen's speed and skating skills, but I don't understand many tend to downplay her deficiencies.
Yes, Karen has more work ahead of her. Yet there is a difference between noticing "deficiencies" which almost every skater needs to work on regardless of age, and calling a skater "juniorish" which is subjective, and often (imho) has more to do with either style preference, or choreo/interpretation preference, or even, lord behold .. self identification with "bustier heavier woman's figure".. :D

VGThuy

I do appreciate Karen's speed and skating skills, but I don't understand many tend to downplay her deficiencies. Obviously her style, programs and PCS are highly subjective - people will either love it or they won't. Karen has big jumps and all, but she's just as prone to underrotations as her skaters in the US who get major flack. We saw that at the US Classic and now at Japan Open. While yes, she put it together at Nationals, I am always flabbergasted by the number of people who are pitching her as untouchable for the Olympic Team.

Because every U.S. skater as of late except maybe Bradie now has been prone to harsh calls, inconsistencies, and TES issues. Nobody thinks Karen is untouchable or doesn’t need work to make her inclusion on the Olympic team a sure thing. People are just excited that when she does put it together she has qualities that are high top ten competitive. People may have been excited about her at Nationals and Worlds and at the early summer comp when she posted high scores, but why shouldn’t they have been? She rocked those comps and people do the same thing for every other skater when they have a great comp and score well. Don’t forget all the calls to replace Chen with Mirai after 4CC last season ignoring Mirai’s chronic issues all last season and all last decade. That was fair though because Mirai did her job and excited people that maybe she solved some of her issues. Now people are excited about her 3A but are critical of the fact she got every other triple jump called UR. And now Mirai rocked Japan Open and people are saying she has the national title sewn up. These things just happen.

Last edited:

bardtoob

Jayar

I don't care what anybody skates to as long as they skate it well. Ashley using MR again this season tells me this-- she loves the program. When skaters perform from a place of passion, they bring their programs to life. That coupled with the fact that it is an Olympics season, and I am sure that she wants to be in the top three in San Jose to earn her spot 'out right', I think that she will be just fine.

Bellanca

Funny how we must assign “top U.S. lady” titles around here. Yesterday, Mirai was top U.S. lady. The day before it was Karen. Today, Ashley. :lol: :drama: Instead, how about this: It is a new season with a clean slate and may the strongest, most consistent ladies prevail. :40beers:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I don't care what anybody skates to as long as they skate it well. Ashley using MR again this season tells me this-- she loves the program. When skaters perform from a place of passion, they bring their programs to life. That coupled with the fact that it is an Olympics season, and I am sure that she wants to be in the top three in San Jose to earn her spot 'out right', I think that she will be just fine.

I want Ashley to skate to selections from Groundhog Day.

GullyGirl84

Angela did great, and I thought she should have medaled.

Unless she gets a late season challenger event, is this her last scheduled event before nationals (come to think of it-does she even have a bye to nationals?)? I would have loved to see her get Skate America, given her bad luck over the past years (not being able to skate her lp at 2015 teb/having to withdraw from Skate America last year), but you can't exactly argue against Bradie having the spot.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Yeah I think Wang has a great shot at getting to 4CC this season. I hope these pewter finishes that Wang and Tennell have had so far inspire them to keep on skating well. Looking beyond who might or might not make the Olympic team, we need skaters that will continue through at least part of the next Olympic cycle. That’s not guaranteed with skaters like Nagasu and Wagner since they’ve already been around for 2 Olympic cycles, so it’s good that we’re seeing skaters improving, hopefully that inspires them to keep on skating beyond 2018 nationals and help lead the U.S. going forward

Sylvia

TBD
Angela did great, and I thought she should have medaled.

Unless she gets a late season challenger event, is this her last scheduled event before nationals (come to think of it-does she even have a bye to nationals?)?
My guess is that Angela will receive a second Challenger assignment that likely will give her a bye to Nationals.

The 3 remaining Challengers listed by USFS are Warsaw Cup and Tallinn Trophy next month and Golden Spin of Zagreb in December. Also in the running for a 2nd Challenger assignment, IMO, are Courtney Hicks and Caroline Zhang (who already has a bye due to her 5th place at Nationals).

jlai

Question everything
I think what hurts Wang is that she tends to not score a bunch of points in the second half, thereby not getting much bonus.

Z

ZilphaK

I think what hurts Wang is that she tends to not score a bunch of points in the second half, thereby not getting much bonus.

Very true. But a 121 score is a nice, solid starting point for racking up additional points here and there in the program. It would be nice to see that happen. She sort of occupies the same space in my mind as Samantha Cesario -- such enjoyable skaters to watch and who possess a steady, wonderful something special; even though you know they don't have "it all," you can't help but root for them and hope it all comes together. And when they retire from competing, you do miss them more than you realized you would. (Well, "you" in general. :) Mostly meaning "me.")

Willin

Polina :(:scream::slinkaway:yikes:
I don't know what else I can say at this point... Hopefully she gets better as she has more practice time?

As for Angela, she was lovely! I get that 121 in a FS isn't quite competitive for a World podium yet, but her stock is definitely going up. I think she could definitely get on the Olympic team or a maybe even a GP podium if she keeps skating like that!

Jammers

If Gracie doesn't compete this season i think she is done. When is the last time someone as talented and still in her prime as Gracie is has faded away in their last couple of seasons like this?

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Ray of sunshine, as always! And here I was hoping we could continue appreciating Angela's Finlandia performance just a little longer...

As for Angela, she was lovely! I get that 121 in a FS isn't quite competitive for a World podium yet, but her stock is definitely going up. I think she could definitely get on the Olympic team or a maybe even a GP podium if she keeps skating like that!
I wish Angela had a Grand Prix assignment but I'll be happy if she gets another Challenger and continues to skate well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information