DWTS Season 25

smileyskate

I was hoping people would know that it was also on for a full show on Tuesday. I've kinda missed the Tuesday shows. Will they be doing that each week or ?
What drama with Mark Ballas' mother?
I missed parts but liked how Judge Len and I think Bruno were giving technical details.
To me the pairs should all dance 1 or 2 different styles as it is easier to compare. I don't think, unless it is for a senior citizen, they should have the other dancers out there dancing full out. Maybe for background fill in but sometimes it's distracting and too early in the comp unless needed for an older person.
I noticed they don't seem to be dancing during the "bumpers" anymore. Not sure why but I recall Derek H. saying those were impromptu when the producer would call out for them to do those asap.
I think they stopped announcing so and so and partner dancing the _____. So sometimes it takes me a second to figure out the dance style if I miss it on the screen. Anyway still a good show and did Cheryl Burke do something to her face? Hollywood tradition I guess even if already so pretty..

screech

People were labelling Jordan as a frontrunner from the moment the 'Broadway' actor was announced. I haven't seen Hamilton (though I've got a bootlegged version of the original cast that I've been meaning to watch), but it doesn't seem like it's as much of a 'dancing' musical for the characters as a lot of other musicals.

Being in a Broadway musical doesn't automatically mean you're a good dancer. For example, Rory O'Malley (also in Hamilton, but best known for Book of Mormon) had a big tap dance number in BOM. Before the show premiered he had to take tap classes with 8 year old girls because he couldn't dance (and openly admits that he got almost failed tap when studying musical theatre in university), and in his big dance number (which you can find in some bootlegs on youtube), you could definitely see he's not a trained dancer.

Yes, Jordan is naturally better than most, but being a Broadway actor doesn't automatically make him great. In the big dance scenes in Grease Live, you can see that he has some natural ability, but he's not clearly an amazing dancer (mind you all the T-Birds look like not so great dancers next to Aaron Tveit, who himself looked not so spectacular next to Julianne).
Grease Live: Greased Lightning

Last edited:

screech

I've seen Hamilton and it's full of dancing. And rapping, of course. :D
Haha good to know. I knew there was a lot of amazing dancing in the background, but I didn't know that the main cast did much dancing. Then again, I've only seen videos of a few songs being performed - the King George songs (as performed by Groff, Rannells, and O'Malley), the Schuyler Sisters song, and the intro 'Alexander Hamilton' song.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Haha good to know. I knew there was a lot of amazing dancing in the background, but I didn't know that the main cast did much dancing. Then again, I've only seen videos of a few songs being performed - the King George songs (as performed by Groff, Rannells, and O'Malley), the Schuyler Sisters song, and the intro 'Alexander Hamilton' song.
Okay, King George doesn't really dance. :D

screech

Just watched Hamilton (I have a bootlegged copy some unsung hero filmed with the original broadway cast). While I agree there is a ton of dancing, it isn't really done by the actual lead and featured cast. Jefferson has a bit of a dance in one song, and Burr a bit of dancing in another, but that's about it. Nothing really from John Laurens/Philip Hamilton (who Jordan played).

That said, the dancing by the ensemble is absolutely fantastic! And I kind of wish there was more from the cast. Leslie Odom Jr can really move (as can Daveed Diggs). And Lin showed a bit of skill, though his dancing bits were more (intentionally) comedic.

In any case, back on topic, I'm surprised and disappointed Debbie Gibson went so quickly. She showed some dancing ability, and Alan is so damn likeable. I was kind of expecting Terrell Owens to go, based on dancing (and attitude).

This week is 'guilty pleasures' week, and I definitely like some of the songs!
Victoria and Val are quickstepping to "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba (I feel like that will be a hard one, but I'll be singing along!)
Derek and Sharna are doing a cha cha to the Fresh Prince theme song (again, a bit of a hard one - I don't see Cha Cha when I see Fresh Prince)
Vanessa and Maks have jazz to "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" (Cyndi Lauper)
Lindsay and Mark have Jive to "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" by Wham!

It's going to be a fun night! (all the songs and dance styles are here).

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I was hoping people would know that it was also on for a full show on Tuesday. I've kinda missed the Tuesday shows. Will they be doing that each week or ?
What drama with Mark Ballas' mother?

Shirley Ballas his mother replaced Len in U.K. For strictly come dancing show and tabloids usual dirt about her hmmm 'active' life. Her Ex, his dad did an interview .. in the past also dirt about the Houghs, who they apparently 'raised' but then turned on them.. I had no idea, just happened to be a tabloid when I was in Italy last week in hotel lobby and was English so was reading it.

mackiecat

Shirley Ballas his mother replaced Len in U.K. For strictly come dancing show and tabloids usual dirt about her hmmm 'active' life. Her Ex, his dad did an interview .. in the past also dirt about the Houghs, who they apparently 'raised' but then turned on them.. I had no idea, just happened to be a tabloid when I was in Italy last week in hotel lobby and was English so was reading it.
After you said that I went online. She seemed to "enjoy" your young handsome male students. In the past Julianne indicated that she was abused as a teen, she seems to have backtracked on that though. I'm not sure I'd send my two young kids to England to live and train with the Balas family

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Everyone probably already knows this but I just discovered that Derek, Julianna, & Mark were Hogwarts students in the 1st Harry Potter movie. Apparently they all were just a face in the crowd.

jkl

:confused: Maks isn't on due to dealing with a personal issue....okay. Alan is subbing for him.

screech

Lindsay and Mark were absolutely brilliant. That was so fantastic. Everything from the bit in the bed to the actual dance.

How the heck did Lindsay choreograph to that music? I agree it wasn't very Charleston-heavy, but that was absolutely amazing!

The Hamilton tour is in LA right now, and they don't have shows on Mondays. Kind of surprised the cast hasn't been in the audience yet. Some of the tour cast members (like Rory O'Malley as King George) were in the show alongside Jordan on Broadway. Maybe that (and some T-Birds from Grease Live) will come on 'Most Memorable Year' night, since both of those huge things happened in 2016 (and it's feasible he'll choose that for his year).

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
Was this week a planned non-elimination? Or was it because of the events that transpired in Las Vegas and the news segment cutting into the start of the show (thus less time)? I'm suspecting it was a last-minute decision, because making last week a double elimination would have been pretty pointless.

As far as the dancing goes, Lindsey & Mark were my favorite. Jordan & Lindsay were really great as well, but I really don't know how Len could fault her for a lack of charleston when she had absolutely zero to work with in regards to the music selection. She did the best that she could, I thought. A jazz style would have been more appropriate given the song selection.

Sasha & Gleb were a serious disappointment. That dance was like a cheese-whiz intro that lasted the entire song. Not much in terms of dancing, very small amount of square footage of the dance floor utilized. Maybe Gleb isn't used to the non-ballroom dance styles? I can't recall his work in past seasons with jazz and contemporary.

BaileyCatts

I'm guessing it was a last minute decision to do no elimination, and since the show was already timed to include it, they simply did the 4-5 minute news segment at the beginning to use up the time that would normally be used for elimination at the end. But that's just my opinion. :p

I'm shocked ... shocked I say ... to hear that Maks might be having conflicts with this partner. ;) But I am also surprised that they aren't exploiting it because normally they would. It must be worse than just bickering. But they sure hid it well. I never sensed anything wrong between them.

I think its going to come down to Lindsey, Jordan and Frankie in the Finals as they seem to be the biggest crowd favorites.

screech

I'm thinking it might not have been planned. The non-elimination week has often been the 'most memorable year' week because it's usually so emotional.

I agree that unless something surprising happens. Jordan, Lindsay and Frankie are the top 3.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I heard an interview with Sharna and her partner (the Laker) on the radio. They asked her about the rumors regarding Maks and Vanessa and while she downplayed it and said 'he called it something personal, so let's leave it at that", she had a number of opportunities to say it wasn't about them fighting, and didn't.

BaileyCatts

The surprise with Jonathan was a riot! :rofl: Not a bad dancer either. Did Erin say something about he should have said yes to being on the show or something like that? Were they trying to get both brothers to do the show or was that just her jabbering?

Artem's two-tone hair is distracting to me. He needs to be all one color. I don't like the white hair so go with the brown please. :p And Val, bless your heart ... ya look better with the scruff dude! But it will probably be back by next week so all is good. :rofl:

I did not know who Victoria was before this show so I did not know her background. OMG at what she has been through in her life! To go from where she was to where she is now is incredible. I'm still crying. :wuzrobbed

just tuned in

Paula Deen in the audience.
I wondered if that means she is considering doing the show.

That part where Tom came over to the three actors from "The Mayor" -- to plug "The Mayor" -- and Paula thought Tom was coming over to HER, and she stood up, like she thought she was going to have an interview -- hilarious, cringeworthy and I hope a lesson learned for the producers. Let your high profile guests know ahead of airing whether Tom will interview hem or not.

I noticed that Paula left her seat sometime after that. I like to speculate that she went home in a huff.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I wondered if that means she is considering doing the show.

That part where Tom came over to the three actors from "The Mayor" -- to plug "The Mayor" -- and Paula thought Tom was coming over to HER, and she stood up, like she thought she was going to have an interview -- hilarious, cringeworthy and I hope a lesson learned for the producers. Let your high profile guests know ahead of airing whether Tom will interview hem or not.

I noticed that Paula left her seat sometime after that. I like to speculate that she went home in a huff.

Paula was already on the show in a prior season.

screech

Okay, so Jordan and Lindsay's dance was far and away the best of the night's, but Lindsey and Mark got to me. I usually don't get emotional watching the dances, but hers just got to me. And Jordan was visibly crying during his (I do hate when the stars go to hug people in the audience though, but since he was crying throughout his whole dance, I'll give this one to him).

Jordan's may have been the best, but the most entertaining was Drew and Emma. And HUGE kudos to Emma for choreographing two extremely tall guys in the jive, one of whom is not actually on the show. That was really well done!

I really appreciate Victoria's story, but I find her overmarked for what she's actually putting on the floor. I know the lack of feeling in her legs is what makes her steps somewhat awkward and slightly clunky (almost) but she's supposed to be marked on her dancing, not her struggle. I felt the same thing with Amy Purdy.
That said, for what she's been through, she's doing fantastic.

Last edited:

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I'm such an easily manipulated sap, but I enjoyed "best year of my life" night. I loved Mark's choreography for Lindsay, especially the ending sequence. I've always been impressed by Jordan's performances, but this is the first I felt I really saw his personality come through so clearly - and that's always important on this show. Victoria's story is so amazing, and I'm impressed by her positive outlook after all she's been through.

And while he's still not the best dancer, I admire the progress that Property Brother has made over the weeks. He also comes across as a better sport than I expected. I thought Terrell had his best performance as well last night and Frankie is just like a happy little puppy dog.

screech

Apparently the producers are favouring Val again. He and Victoria were supposedly going to be doing Charleston this week, but he couldn't make it work, so they let him switch dance styles.

This week is Disney night. Some song selections are good.
  • Frankie Muniz and Whitney – Argentine Tango to“Angelica” from Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Terrell Owens and Cheryl – Quickstep to“I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” from Lion King (this should be fun)
  • Nikki Bella and Artem – Jazz to “Remember Me” from Coco
  • Nick Lachey and Peta – Quickstep to “Bare Necessities” from The Jungle Book (great song, but I don't think he'll do it justice)
  • Lindsey Stirling and Mark – Foxtrot to “When You Wish Upon A Star” from Pinocchio (Mark will be really creative to this. I kind of predict 10s)
  • Jordan Fisher and Lindsay – Foxtrot to “You’re Welcome” from Moana (excited for this, since he sang the song as a duet with Lin-Manuel Miranda on the Moana soundtrack. Wonder if they'll use his version, The Rock's version, or if the band will butcher it)
  • Sasha Pieterse and Gleb – Rumba to “Kiss the Girl” from The Little Mermaid (don't really see this song as a rumba, and also think someone other than Gleb would be able to offer more)
  • Vanessa Lachey and Maks – Waltz to “Un Jour Mon Prince Viendra” from Snow White
  • Drew Scott and Emma – Viennese Waltz to “Rainbow Connection” from The Muppet Movie
  • Victoria Arlen and Val – Jazz to “Steamboat Willie” from Steamboat Willie

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I love Disney night because it's fun, but seriously there were a lot of :kickass:dances. If I tried to rank best to worst I would have trouble with the #1 spot. I loved Jordan & Lindsey (but kind of hated the music) but Frankie & Witney might have been a hair better or just as good. I'd give most improved to Terrell & Cheryl. Or Drew & Emma. There was a lot of really good & few hokey ones. Worst was either Nick & Peta or Sasha & Gleb. The one that confused me was Vanessa & Maks. Why was Someday My Prince Will Come in French? The Disney movie I saw was in English & neither Vanessa nor Maks is French.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information