U.S. Pairs 2017 - News & Updates, Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
The reason I said that is because you write a John Grisham novel for every reply.

It's really just figure skating but it's my favorite sport, so I care, but I'm not taking anything personally unless my character is being insulted. We're just talking about US pairs skating, and I think it's a good and friendly discussion!

I'm glad we agree on C/T first alternate, the only reason I think the alternate position matters at all (in hindsight) is because of D/F's physical health at worlds.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The reason I said that is because you write a John Grisham novel for every reply. It's really just figure skating but it's my favorite sport, so I care, but I'm not taking anything personally unless my character is being insulted... the only reason I think the alternate position matters at all (in hindsight) is because of D/F's physical health at worlds.

^^ :confused: Gosh you seem to enjoy talking in muddled circles and meaningless riddles @Karpenko. Ironically, it was actually Alexa's health U.S. fed was worried about at Worlds. And that has little to do with the final outcome. The first alternates ultimately were not needed. Maybe you should go read an actual John Grisham novel for some light entertainment. :p

Why worry about your character being insulted on a skating fan Internet forum, especially FSU?! Does anyone here actually know anything about your character?! :fsu10:

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Oy. I'm not trying to be so combative with you aftershocks!

John Grisham is an extremely accomplished author who writes some amazing adult fiction novels. I could've said Dr Suess!

And yes I do have a few friends here who know me, but I'm just trying to explain that I'm not going to get pissed off at people for having a different opinion, unless they throw shade or thinly veiled insults about who they think you are. Then I'd probably get pissed and throw them back. Your passionate replies made me think you were taking things personally, but that was in the Meagan and Eric thread. That's all I was trying to say.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ It's nice to see the pairs getting some outside help from coaches like Robin Szolkowy! I wonder in what ways these camps are truly helping overall. Is there a strategic long-term plan in other words. Moskvina helped out last summer as I recall.

It is interesting that D/F and C/T are apparently not at the camp. With C/T, seemingly they are based in Canada with Gauthier/Marcotte and apparently feel they are getting what they need there? Rhode Island is Marissa's home base. She was born in Providence, R.I.

Oy. I'm not trying to be so combative with you aftershocks!
John Grisham is an extremely accomplished author who writes some amazing adult fiction novels. I could've said Dr Suess!
And yes I do have a few friends here who know me, but I'm just trying to explain that I'm not going to get pissed off at people for having a different opinion, unless they throw shade or thinly veiled insults about who they think you are. Then I'd probably get pissed and throw them back. Your passionate replies made me think you were taking things personally, but that was in the Meagan and Eric thread. That's all I was trying to say.

Because I challenge some of your comments (some of which seem unclear), does not mean you and I need to agree in lockstep. And yes, you shouldn't take it personally when I challenge your comments and disagree. I'm not in complete disagreement with everything you say. And it truly doesn't matter anyway. Figure skating is just a passionate subject obviously. It's our egos that are butting heads anyway. For some wise words about egos, read Madi Hubbell's recent blog entry:
http://www.hubbell-donohue.com/ Wowza, I do love Madi & Zach! What a boss lady!!! :respec:

I happen to like reading some John Grisham myself. But it was you who brought him up a half derogatory/ half humorous way. We obviously are not always going to agree in minute ways @Karpenko. I am not trying to change your mind by sharing my slightly different takes on certain topics.

Maybe we should join up and skate pairs or ice dance together ourselves. :rofl: And get Rohene Ward and John Kerr for choreo. Got to save up to get those two though. :p

aftershocks

Banned Member
Awww, this is a fun video from USFS in Colorado. I love dogs (and cats too). Alexa & Chris introduce fans to their dogs Cami & Diesel; And Mirai introduces one of her pups, Lincoln. They are all back to work getting new programs after a bit of time off.

Mirai visited Belize and Florida, and she says that she's now 'scuba-certified.' Cool. :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/usfiguresk...live_video_explicit&notif_id=1496848758220773

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Posted in the 2017 Choreography thread, but if you don't see it there.

A four minute clip of Rohene Ward working with Alexa and Chris on their new SP, "Paint it Black".

https://www.facebook.com/rohene1?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

Rohene is working with Deanna and Nate, and Alexa and Chris, my two fav pairs. Life is good:cheer2:

ETA; I can't figure out how to link directly to the vid, sorry, but you can get to it from the page. Oh well.....

Sylvia

TBD

A four minute clip of Rohene Ward working with Alexa and Chris on their new SP, "Paint it Black".
Direct link to the video: https://www.facebook.com/rohene1/videos/vb.1231278820/10213226900167006/?type=2&theater

Music: "Paint It, Black" to The Rolling Stones, Ciara, and The London Symphony Orchestra
ETA that @Karpenko posted this link to the song by Ciara in the other thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYPWxymohWs
It's on the soundtrack of the 2015 film, The Last Witch Hunter.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

https://www.facebook.com/rohene1?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

Rohene is working with Deanna and Nate, and Alexa and Chris, my two fav pairs. Life is good:cheer2:

ETA; I can't figure out how to link directly to the vid, sorry, but you can get to it from the page. Oh well.....

Rohene has my full attention.

Loving it ALL!

clairecloutier

Sylvia

TBD
Speaking of Fields/Stevens, they visited Rafael Arutunian's rink earlier this month (before they went to the national pairs camp, I assume). They and their coach, Serguei Zaitsev, appear in Nathalie Weinzierl's group photo posted on her FB (linked in the German News thread) - Ernie's the tallest and Caitlin's the shortest one: https://www.facebook.com/2654387202...5438720291136/800234926811510/?type=3&theater

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
OH Good Lord.. I can't wait to see this little treasure throughout the years!

Natasha Mishkuteniok

:lol: Hmmm, no relation to Natalia eh? Anyway, aside from her uber amazing limberness, it was Natalia's partner who was more of the 'diva on ice.' :D And, even should the new young Natasha have amazing talent, she'll be lucky to maintain a viable partner and make it upward successfully through the musical pairs land maze that is U.S. pairs figure skating.

Are some of these young U.S. pairs, the sons and daughters of Russian emigre fs coaches/former skaters? I know that's not an unusual thing, what with the Torgashevs, the Kuliks, the Ponomarenkos, et al.

I found Alexandria Yao/Jacob Simon's debut from last week's Broadmoor Open ("Clair de Lune" Senior SP, choreo. by Alena Lunin): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z8Vmt38DLU&t=3m30s

Thanks for posting. Yao/Simon look good together, and I'm glad to see Simon with a new partner after it didn't work out all the way with Lindsay Weinstein. I wonder how long will Yao/ Simon will last ... hopefully they will 'cement.' ;) I'm boycotting the term, 'gel,' that I coined many moons ago to describe the process of a pairs team clicking and melding. 'Gel' seems a little too fluid (for current state of U.S. pairs) and way too much overused these days in figure skating terminology. :COP:

But pardon me, what happened to Austin Hale (Alexandra Yao's former partner)? Does Austin have another partner, or is he out of the sport after he and Alexandra placed third in Juniors at 2017 U.S. Nationals? I realize there are a variety of reasons why partnerships don't work out, and that young people often decide to leave the sport, or their family moves out of state from their training site, or the grass looks greener with a different partner, or ________ fill in the blank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx9WLhnSlb8 sp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9kw3S6fDU fp Yao/Hale looked good together too :watch:

Reminds me of the novice pair newcomers Erin Coleman/ Derrick Griffin, who proceeded to split after their blitz novice pairs title win in January. Austin Hale had at least two other partners before he and Alexandra Yao nabbed bronze in juniors. Austin's other partners were Olivia Allan, and Alicia Bertsch (with whom Austin won the Intermediate pairs title in 2013).

I know none of this ubiquitous partner-switching is new for U.S. pairs, but it does beg the perennial question: 'U.S. pairs, U.S. pairs, wherefore art thou U.S. pairs ... on the international podium, consistently???' :drama: It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes sticking together for a pairs team to evolve 'forever two as one.' Just ask Tai and Randy. :wall:

ETA:
From an IceNetwork search, I see that Austin Hale skated with Meiryla Findley in 2016. Austin and Meirlya also landed in bronze medal position, that year. It's not just Austin, but his career does seem to be a microcosm of a switcheroo-itis problem. Does this switching around actually help matters? Or it's just, 'well if you're not doing anything else this season, why not give it a go?' If you ain't Chinese fed, musical pairs switching seems iffy in connection with long term success. Unless longer term success is not the aim.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
OH Good Lord.. I can't wait to see this little treasure throughout the years!

Natasha Mishkuteniok
She was fun to watch on the Broadmoor Open live stream in her pairs competition debut (Natasha's last name is spelled Mishkutionok in the results). Mom/coach Natalia M. must be very proud. :)
But pardon me, what happened to Austin Hale (Alexandra Yao's former partner)?
Austin Hale was listed on IPS months ago, looking for a Senior level partner (he's 21 now). His IPS profile was taken down in late(?) May - that is all that's known publicly at this time. He also won Junior bronze at 2016 Nationals with Meiryla Findley (who has partnered just this year with Matthew Rounis).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information