2017 U.S. Stars on Ice (April 13 & May 4-21): publicity articles, fan reports & more

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Yes I understand, and I'm just expressing my opinions on comments that I feel can be harmful. I think it's okay that a voice for kindness can also be posted?
I may like some skaters more than others but I'm not posting things about the ones I don't cheer for that are hurtful to them as people.
Pls don't confuse factual with hurtful. It was what it was.....completely not acceptable at her level . I keep hoping someone will wake her from her coma!

VGThuy

From the sounds of the tone this show and comments on the lack of balance, no wonder Tom Collins made sure to include the hula hoop lady and those acrobats for Champions on Ice. It's probably why he made Rudy Galindo skate to YMCA a thousand times.

After watching one of Gracie's programs, the problem is beyond just bad conditioning and lack of jumps. Her program hardly shows any sort of impressive skating. Just posing and generic "sassy" club dance moves with no passion or personality behind it while doing the bare minimum to move across the ice. The best thing about exhibitions and show programs is that skaters have more freedom to show off moves and impressive blade work that they don't have time to do in competitive programs. It's not supposed to be an excuse to do a haphazardly choreographed program while lazily not doing any difficult skating moves. Even if there's no personal pride, I mean people did pay money to see you (and the entire cast) and you are getting paid.

twizzlesizzle

The concept of SOI basically relies a lot on star power. Because the show format (some quickly put together group numbers) and a bunch of random exhibition skates with dialled down tech content on small ice isn't particularly groundbreaking. You need lots of people who just want to go for the skaters themselves.

If there weren't any restrictions, I'd love to get the cast together and have them do something like Fairy Tales on Ice and have them all do programs depicting various fairytales (I could imagine Madison Chock and Evan Bates doing a good Aladdin program). But again the rehearsal time for this would be more significant and costs etc so that's why we have the format we have.

It's this cycle of 'we don't have money because we don't sell seats, so we can't spend money on production and rehearsal, so we don't sell seats so we don't have money...'

If you remember back to last year (maybe 2015?), Kurt dumped a lot of time, energy and personal resources into the theatrical number for the 2nd half of CSOI. I wish I could've gotten to see that super number.

The ideas, people, skaters and such are out there to make an awesome show happen. Yes, I want to see what brought the skaters to SOI (1 comp program), but after that, immerse in theme. Make the group numbers something awesome. Break the traditional format if you dare, but the same cookie cutter format isn't doing it anymore.

You wanna sell seats, you gotta make the seats sell.

Teamgracie

Pls don't confuse factual with hurtful. It was what it was.....completely not acceptable at her level . I keep hoping someone will wake her from her coma!
It's not factual to call someone a big girl and we all know what that implies! Look, this place obviously isn't for someone with a caring heart for skaters as people. She is just a young woman who might be really struggling right now and I think folks that can hide behind the keyboard and just say whatever they feel like with total disregard for others are cowards. I'll say goodbye, it makes me really sad to know this is what people that watch skating do. That is what I say is unacceptable, so we are just very different people.

twizzlesizzle

It's not factual to call someone a big girl and we all know what that implies! Look, this place obviously isn't for someone with a caring heart for skaters as people. She is just a young woman who might be really struggling right now and I think folks that can hide behind the keyboard and just say whatever they feel like with total disregard for others are cowards. I'll say goodbye, it makes me really sad to know this is what people that watch skating do. That is what I say is unacceptable, so we are just very different people.

Gracie is at a crossroads. Is she filling out into the woman she will be? Maybe. I dunno, but obviously she's struggling. She switched coaches and SOI isn't what she needs at this time. Did too much of the Hollywood life get to her head and she got soft?

The thing is, people can be mean and cruel, but at a time when it's right there in front of you to look at and see, the truth can hurt. It'd be something completely different if she was just phoning the shows in for the money, but she's not. She's gotta take some time and find herself.

The truth can be cruel. I hope she figures things out, gets herself together and continue to be successful with what she does (skating or not). Right now though, the reviews are coming in and she's not putting on anything worthy of a show.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Yes I understand, and I'm just expressing my opinions on comments that I feel can be harmful. I think it's okay that a voice for kindness can also be posted?
I may like some skaters more than others but I'm not posting things about the ones I don't cheer for that are hurtful to them as people.

Why is it "harmful" to give an honest account of what someone saw at the show? I don't think it's very kind to try to pretend that things are fine with her, because obviously they aren't.

Spun Silver

From the sounds of the tone this show and comments on the lack of balance, no wonder Tom Collins made sure to include the hula hoop lady and those acrobats for Champions on Ice. It's probably why he made Rudy Galindo skate to YMCA a thousand times.

After watching one of Gracie's programs, the problem is beyond just bad conditioning and lack of jumps. Her program hardly shows any sort of impressive skating. Just posing and generic "sassy" club dance moves with no passion or personality behind it while doing the bare minimum to move across the ice. The best thing about exhibitions and show programs is that skaters have more freedom to show off moves and impressive blade work that they don't have time to do in competitive programs. It's not supposed to be an excuse to do a haphazardly choreographed program while lazily not doing any difficult skating moves. Even if there's no personal pride, I mean people did pay money to see you (and the entire cast) and you are getting paid.
Judging by Gracie's previous comments about her weight, it sounds like she is painfully aware when she is out of shape (probably most skaters are the same, given their skimpy costumes). There were a bunch of SOI pictures where she was in giant sweatshirts - hiding under them IMO. Being a little overweight can enormously affect one's self-image, and how one looks and acts -- this is true even for many ordinary women in private life, how much the more so for someone carrying Gracie's fame and expectations -- let alone how it affects her speed and jumps.

I feel bad for her and hope she can find her way out of whatever hell she is in.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I agree they could use some more international talent on the roster, a better mix of music ... They need more attention to showmanship, audience connection, personality, IMO.

I remember that when SOI started, the idea was to have a roster that had both stars and "unknowns" who were great skaters. One of the skaters in SOI the first time I saw it was Kathleen Schmelz. I don't think she ever won a national or international medal, but holy cr*p could she skate. I don't know why SOI changed to only have "name" skaters - but given how poorly it seems to be doing now, how much worse could it do by adding some really exceptional but lesser-known amateurs or pros to the lineup?

Last edited:

VGThuy

It sort of has turned into Champions on Ice except with a much small roster, no international skaters, and a few more group numbers in-between. I guess that's to be expected with the pro circuit no longer existing and a lack of made-for-tv events.

seabm7

I used to go to Chicago and Toronto shows. Ever since I moved to Asia, I usually go to South Korean and Japanese ice shows. Japanese ice shows are expensive and super-long. But that is another story.

Several years ago the US SOI lost their main sponsor, Smuckers. They scaled down the show by a lot. Then came the announcement on the collabaration with US Figure Skating. I am wondering if this collaboration emphasized the role of elligible US skaters as the show cast.

Now the main sponsors for the US SOI are KOSE (e emphasized) and Citizen. Both are Japanese companies. In particular, Gracie Gold is a model for KOSE, the cosmetic company. I am also wondering her contract with KOSE asks her to skate in SOI.

ETD: Of course my concerns are speculations.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Then came the announcement on the collabaration with US Figure Skating. I am wondering if this collaboration emphasized the role of elligible US skaters as the show cast.
The partnership gives SOI increased advertising and promotional opportunities via USFS publications, website, etc, and in return SOI helps with USFS promotion at the grassroots level (the kids number, and pre-show meet and greet/Q&A with the skaters, synchro performance, skating clinics for the general public in certain cities). It also guarantees USFS sanction, which allows Oly-eligible skaters to join the tour (although I think USFS started providing SOI sanction for a few top skaters to perform in certain stops, post comp season, as far back as 2008, after COI folded).

Back in the day, SOI definitely was the stronger of the two tours in terms of artistry, variety, theme, and group numbers, but that's to be expected when nearly the entire tour is Oly and world medalists who also have a great deal of experience performing on a tour (or pro comps). The currently-competing skaters on COI were still learning how to perform on a tour, so their performances might not be memorable (with exceptions, like MK), but I enjoyed seeing the up-and-comers and the stars (Brian, Michelle) were among my favorites. The two tours definitely had a different tone, but I enjoyed both (although I would have preferred to see more up-and-comers instead of the acrobats or hula-hooper and for Rudy or Dan Hollander to be able to skate different numbers).

At this point, there is no more pro skating, the pros who sustained SOI in the early years are retired, and most recent Oly medalists are either still competing or found better opportunities in their own countries, or haven't wanted to tour for multiple years. Most of the current and recent stars aren't from the U.S. so most casual fans aren't paying much attention to them, and aren't paying much attention to the U.S. skaters b/c they aren't winning. I'm sure if a U.S. lady (possibly a U.S. man) won the OGM next year, SOI would see a big boost. I wish ice dance got the same attention as the singles disciplines, but unfortunately, it doesn't, so Meryl and Charlie aren't going to be as big of a draw for the general public as Brian or Kristi (or even MK) was.

centerpt1

Pro competitions might be the only thing that would revive SOI. Right now there's really no big money in the US for pro skaters-so few of the big names do it . I remember when most of the big names skated in shows and pro competitions after they retired from eligible skating. Without the money, there's no platform-without the platform there's no visibility or demand.

It's difficult to present a themed, cohesive show when your skaters are right off a season of competition and doing their SP's or thrown together gala programs. Perhaps Buttle needs the oversight or advice of an older, more experienced choreographer ........or someone from the world of show dance. New ideas are needed to prevent the schmaltzy type show, but new ideas can fall flat without some kind of entertainment value.

Gracie- While I do feel for her, she is being paid to be in shape and perform. She is clearly not in even show shape. It's up to her to do the off ice work to be in shape. IF she doesn't have the self discipline to work out she has no chance to be on the World Team. She is crazy talented, but clearly something is wrong. Someone else could have had that SOI slot.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Pro competitions might be the only thing that would revive SOI. Right now there's really no big money in the US for pro skaters-so few of the big names do it . I remember when most of the big names skated in shows and pro competitions after they retired from eligible skating. Without the money, there's no platform-without the platform there's no visibility or demand.

It's difficult to present a themed, cohesive show when your skaters are right off a season of competition and doing their SP's or thrown together gala programs. Perhaps Buttle needs the oversight or advice of an older, more experienced choreographer ........or someone from the world of show dance. New ideas are needed to prevent the schmaltzy type show, but new ideas can fall flat without some kind of entertainment value.

Gracie- While I do feel for her, she is being paid to be in shape and perform. She is clearly not in even show shape. It's up to her to do the off ice work to be in shape. IF she doesn't have the self discipline to work out she has no chance to be on the World Team. She is crazy talented, but clearly something is wrong. Someone else could have had that SOI slot.

Agreed. Furthermore, it's extraordinarily pretentious of Gracie to skate to "I'm Golden"...or any other music that links her name to a Gold medal, at this point in time, as weak as she is. Pathetic. I can't believe that the show's producers allowed this. Or is IMG so moronic as to actually have suggested this?

skatesindreams

Gracie- While I do feel for her, she is being paid to be in shape and perform. She is clearly not in even show shape. It's up to her to do the off ice work to be in shape. IF she doesn't have the self discipline to work out she has no chance to be on the World Team. She is crazy talented, but clearly something is wrong.
Agreed!

Gracie is no longer a young competitor.

Part of maturing is gaining the ability to deal with criticism; wherever it comes from, and responding appropriately to it. That includes critiques from the viewing audience; as well as the TPTB in the sport.
Some of that, undoubtedly is; and will continue to be, tough to hear.

Only Gracie can decide how to proceed.
I wish her happiness; whatever the future may hold.

clairecloutier

Agreed. Furthermore, it's extraordinarily pretentious of Gracie to skate to "I'm Golden"...or any other music that links her name to a Gold medal, at this point in time, as weak as she is. Pathetic. I can't believe that the show's producers allowed this. Or is IMG so moronic as to actually have suggested this?

I have a feeling that "I'm Golden" was probably Gracie's personal music choice, and I think it probably wasn't made with the motives you're attributing to it (i.e., claiming that 2018 OGM will be hers). If you look at the lyrics to the song, they are more inspirational rather than pretentious. It's about overcoming difficulties and people's perceptions--this is certainly applicable to Gracie right now. When you've been dealing with the weight of gold-medal expectations your whole career--not to mention actually being a Gold, by name--I'm sure all the associations/implications of that word are particularly meaningful for her.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
This is a message board about a sport. Fans here are going to make comments and analysis based on that. Is she a beautiful woman in a normal sense? Of course. Can she be considered fit in terms of what is required for elite figure skating? No, she's nowhere close.

Fans of all sports can be brutally honest with their opinions. I don't see why you think commentary should be all rainbows and butterflies. It simply comes with the territory.

Spun Silver

Just to put things in perspective, Tatsuki Machida new exibition https://youtu.be/9xEEmM_1cVg?t=16
He retired from competitions in 2015.
Thank you! That is unflippinbelievable. He wasn't even panting at the end. That made my day!

That is what happens when you have a skating genius with boundless respect for himself and his audience. And perhaps God. The ballerina Suzanne Farrell said she danced the way she did because of God, who gave her that gift.

Sylvia

TBD
"Travel buddies" Gracie, Adam & Ashley on the plane to the Anaheim show: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUC5Eh0gn_n/?hl=en&taken-by=ashwagner2010

Kristi Yamaguchi with Madison Chock & Ashley backstage in San Jose: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUCeOyCgUkU/?taken-by=ashwagner2010&hl=en

Kristi Y. shares a photo of Karen Chen reading to kindergartners in their hometown of Fremont for her "Always Dream" foundation: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUAeBrEAWdL/?taken-by=kristiyamaguchi&hl=en
Karen & Kristi together: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUARjNSjJnx/?taken-by=karebearsk8&hl=en

Madison C. helping Gracie tie the backs of her shoes: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUBf8HbhJrE/?taken-by=chockolate02&hl=en

Nathan smiling with Chock & Bates: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUEK28NgmDm/

Closeup of Lisa McKinnon's "ridiculously bedazzled" gloves for Ashley's "Handclap" number: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUBMP0Ilau-/?taken-by=lisamckinnon90210&hl=en

Last edited:

kre56

I saw the show last night and Karen Chen was amazing! Definitely a super star. Loved all the dance teams. Loved Ashley's second number! Nathan Chen was full of energy and Vincent Zhou is maturing but still skates a little junior-ish..... The group numbers seemed like they needed more energy or more exciting music. Just my opinion.....

Sylvia

TBD
10-minute montage of short clips from the first half of the San Jose show on Friday night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDbKbF75FPE
(Second half still to come)
Here's the montage of clips, in chronological skate order, from the second half (13 minutes) - opens with Abbott & Rippon skating together in "Fratres": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JMWQYabIfE

It looks like a bit of every number in the show is included in both videos - such as Chock/Bates' tango with chair, tribute to Jef Billings & the other group numbers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information