Odd Food Combinations

Nan

Just me, retired
My momma used to make cream cheese and green olive open faced sandwiches for her lunch. I have never seen anyone else eat that kind of sandwich. Her kids would not eat them!

My mother would do that, too, on pumpernickel bread. Loved them!

TheGirlCanSkate

Cottage cheese topped with fruit cocktail (the heavy syrup kind, none of the light stuff) and then (only my mom) would scoop a dollop of Best Foods mayo on top.

Moto Guzzi

I just came back from a cruise. Nearly every morning at breakfast, my room mate's friend would put peanut butter and bacon on a bagel. She had grown up eating this combination and, by the end of the cruise, had us all eating it, too. Delicious!

FiveRinger

Cottage cheese topped with fruit cocktail (the heavy syrup kind, none of the light stuff) and then (only my mom) would scoop a dollop of Best Foods mayo on top.

You were doing really good until you said mayo.....I love any kind of fruit and cottage cheese!

I just came back from a cruise. Nearly every morning at breakfast, my room mate's friend would put peanut butter and bacon on a bagel. She had grown up eating this combination and, by the end of the cruise, had us all eating it, too. Delicious!

Everything tastes better with bacon, or so they say. Peanut butter is no exception! Lol

emason

I don't stop at just peanut butter and bacon; my sandwich of choice is peanut butter, bacon, and banana.

Japanfan

I don't think a lot of these combinations are odd. Cheese and fruitcake are a traditional match so far as I know - my mom used to put slices of cheddar on her coffeecake, and they were yummy.

Eggs and potatoes are also a match, although they are often cooked separately. I often do hashbrowns with the egg mixed in for a quick meal.

Dill pickle and ham/deli meats is traditional too, as are tuna/cream of mushroom soup - the standard tuna casserole (with cheese and macaroni) that people have been making forever and is simply perfect as a comfort food.

Avocado and hot dogs make sense as well. Avocades go with every other sort of protein.

Mr. Japanfan eats kraft dinner with jerk sauce - that I do find very odd.

Moto Guzzi

My momma used to make cream cheese and green olive open faced sandwiches for her lunch. I have never seen anyone else eat that kind of sandwich. Her kids would not eat them!
I've had them at the Woodlawn Needlework show. The members of the needlework group serve lunch as a fund raiser and have them on the menu.

PDilemma

While on chemo, my dad became obsessed with sandwiches with tuna, black olives and mustard. He would want us to go get them at Subway. If you ever want the Subway people to ask you three times before they make the sandwich and possibly throw in a "are you sure?", order that.

(And for those who have not seen the thread, we have learned elsewhere at FSU that anything with pepper on it is odd).

Susan1

(And for those who have not seen the thread, we have learned elsewhere at FSU that anything with pepper on it is odd).

I believe this snarky, erroneous comment was directed at me because I think it is strange that my cousin's daughter DROWNS EVERYTHING in pepper. The last time we were at Lone Star, she reached over to another table and got her own pepper shaker. She put so much pepper on the baked potato, you couldn't even tell there was a potato underneath. How could you even taste the food?

Japanfan

Is that like putting cheese on apple pie? Never understood that one!

Cheese often goes with sweet, the prime example being fruit and cheese. Because the cheese has a bit of sweetness, it goes well with desserts. Or in desserts - cheesecake being the obvious.

Last edited:

Susan1

Cheese often goes with sweet, the prime example being fruit and cheese. Because the cheese has a bit of sweetness, it goes well with desserts. Or in desserts - cheesecake being the obvious.

okey dokey. Speaking of cheese, which I love, there was an item on the local news this morning about chocolate covered cheese. Ick! Sliced and wrapped like Kraft "cheese" (processed cheese food) slices. It's only in France right now. No thanks!

You did give me a craving for cheesecake though. :)

gk_891

My neighbours are Italian and they like to wrap prosciutto (a salty Italian ham) around fruit like melon or figs. It struck me as odd but they say it's a classic combination (salty and sweet).

gk_891

Popcorn with fresh jalapeno peppers? It would give it a nice kick since popcorn is kind of boring on its own.

Cachoo

I believe this snarky, erroneous comment was directed at me because I think it is strange that my cousin's daughter DROWNS EVERYTHING in pepper. The last time we were at Lone Star, she reached over to another table and got her own pepper shaker. She put so much pepper on the baked potato, you couldn't even tell there was a potato underneath. How could you even taste the food?

That does seem like overkill. I found out that in the 60's my aunt brought a bottle of Heinz Ketchup to her wedding. And she wasn't having a dinner so I'm still trying to figure out why she needed it. (I need to call her.)

FiveRinger

That does seem like overkill. I found out that in the 60's my aunt brought a bottle of Heinz Ketchup to her wedding. And she wasn't having a dinner so I'm still trying to figure out why she needed it. (I need to call her.)
My mother used to carry hot sauce in her purse. She claimed it was "just in case," but she put it on everything.

StitchMonkey

teriyaki and parmigiana go great together. Though i do recommend having something to drink handy as it is salty.

Also cream cheese on bratwurst is really good.

aliceanne

That was popular in the 60's in the women's magazines. You were supposed to use heavy brown bread.

oleada

When I was little, I liked pancakes with cream cheese and chocolate syrup.

gk_891

My sister once traveled to the Netherlands and she said that a lot of Dutch people eat french fries with mayo, a peanut-based sate sauce (which I'm guessing is borrowed from Indonesia), or a curry sauce of some sort. I can sort of get the sate and curry sauce but eating mayo with fries struck me as sort of odd.

oleada

It struck me as odd, too, but it's great! I don't really like plain mayo, but mayo with some kick? Yum! Pommes Frites here in New York had a ton of great mayo based dipping sauces:
http://www.pommesfritesnyc.com/gallery.html

I really liked the wasabi, rosemary garlic, dill and sweet mango chutney.

peibeck

Simply looking
Other than rye bread, separately I don't like anything that goes into a reuben sandwich. But put them together and I love it. (Although if I make it at home, I prefer to put mustard rather than Russian dressing on the sandwich.)

I've had salt on watermelon. Yuck, vile! A perfect fruit, spoiled. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information