Odd Food Combinations

clairecloutier

My sister once traveled to the Netherlands and she said that a lot of Dutch people eat french fries with mayo, a peanut-based sate sauce (which I'm guessing is borrowed from Indonesia), or a curry sauce of some sort. I can sort of get the sate and curry sauce but eating mayo with fries struck me as sort of odd.

When I was in college, I practically lived on french fries with mayo and ketchup. Put a little mayo next to a little ketchup--dip the fry in each.

I still love french fries, but these days, I just eat them with lots of salt and a little pepper. Nothing else required.

DAngel

Popcorn with fresh jalapeno peppers? It would give it a nice kick since popcorn is kind of boring on its own.
pickled Jalapeno peppers for me.. The cinema I go to usually have it along with relish and other condiments.

Does eating pretzels with orange juice count? That's my husband's favorite snack.
Pretzels dipped in orange juice?

My coworker puts mayo on pizza. :yikes:
This sounds a lot like pizza made with white sauce or eating pizza with garlic sauce... Doesn't seem that strange to me...

Marge_Simpson

No...she puts it on regular cheese pizza with mozzarella and tomato sauce. And says it's common to eat pizza that way in her country.

DAngel

It's pretty normal to have pizza with white sauce or have a garlic sauce dip on the side... So to me, having a normal pizza with mayo doesn't sound that weird... Where is she from?

Lacey

I had cream cheese and green olive sandwiches all the time as a kid, but not open faced.

Tuna with relish was a staple.

My daughter in law makes canned chicken sandwiches and calls it tuna, huh? I think it started when she was pregnant and didn't want to eat the minerals (?) in tuna.

I made my oldest (43 now) bologna rollups with cream cheese inside. Might have started on a day when I had run out of bread. Yuk now to me, don't even buy bologna any more, but I think two of her four boys like these.

Peanut Butter and Nutella sandwiches are delicious.

gk_891

When I was in college, I practically lived on french fries with mayo and ketchup. Put a little mayo next to a little ketchup--dip the fry in each.

I still love french fries, but these days, I just eat them with lots of salt and a little pepper. Nothing else required.

I ate a lot of fries in high school (it was one of the few things that our high school cafeteria made that wasn't so gross). But I find that as I get older, I can't handle deep fried foods like a I used to.

clairecloutier

I ate a lot of fries in high school (it was one of the few things that our high school cafeteria made that wasn't so gross). But I find that as I get older, I can't handle deep fried foods like a I used to.

Me too. i only indulge now and then these days. :)

Susan1

Not "odd" just different than the usual?

Tuna salad made with tuna, hard boiled eggs AND Kraft sandwich spread (replaces mayo and any add-ins)

And my aunt invented deviled eggs with egg yolk, deviled (duh, huh?) ham and Aunt Nellie's Special Sauce (it's kind of a horseradish sauce that I only ever saw at Kroger). I wouldn't never have eaten deviled ham or horseradish sauce alone, but mixed with the egg yolk, it's really good. I used to make them for every holiday gathering. I don't even know if they still sell Aunt Nellie's.

hanca

Values her privacy
My family thinks I'm weird because I like a little mustard on my scrambled eggs and omelettes. None of them will try it. Chickens...
It seems to me pretty normal. My ex boyfriend liked hard boiled egg cut on slices and those slices were put on top of bread with butter, and then each slice of egg was thinly smeared with mustard. So it's similar combination like yours, egg with mustard, but the eggs were boiled. It tasted quite nice.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Does eating pretzels with orange juice count? That's my husband's favorite snack.
I can't see anything weird on that. I would have that without hesitating. What's wrong with that combination?

gk_891

Me too. i only indulge now and then these days. :)

Same here. There's a place in Toronto that serves Belgian-style frites and for a dollar extra, you can get them fried in beef fat rather than vegetable oil. I tried them once and they were fantastic.

hanca

Values her privacy
My sister once traveled to the Netherlands and she said that a lot of Dutch people eat french fries with mayo, a peanut-based sate sauce (which I'm guessing is borrowed from Indonesia), or a curry sauce of some sort. I can sort of get the sate and curry sauce but eating mayo with fries struck me as sort of odd.
That's the most common combination of fast food in my country, to have chips with mayonnaise. The second option is ketchup, but the majority people choose mayonnaise.

Our students put ketchup on spaghetti because they are lazy to cook a proper tomato sauce. So one of the simplest students food is just spaghetti with a ketchup and a bit of cheese grated at the top.

clairecloutier

Same here. There's a place in Toronto that serves Belgian-style frites and for a dollar extra, you can get them fried in beef fat rather than vegetable oil. I tried them once and they were fantastic.

That sounds oh-so-bad for you, but oh-so-good. :)

There's a restaurant called Duckfat in Portland, ME. Their specialty is French fries cooked in duck fat. Which is supposed to be one of the tastiest fats. Anyhow, the fries are good! Try it out if you're ever in Portland.

gk_891

That sounds oh-so-bad for you, but oh-so-good. :)

There's a restaurant called Duckfat in Portland, ME. Their specialty is French fries cooked in duck fat. Which is supposed to be one of the tastiest fats. Anyhow, the fries are good! Try it out if you're ever in Portland.

Nice! :)

gk_891

That's the most common combination of fast food in my country, to have chips with mayonnaise. The second option is ketchup, but the majority people choose mayonnaise.

Our students put ketchup on spaghetti because they are lazy to cook a proper tomato sauce. So one of the simplest students food is just spaghetti with a ketchup and a bit of cheese grated at the top.

Where are you from?

DAngel

That sounds great... What's the name of the store?

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I went out to lunch on Tues with friends. The soup of the day was potato, mushroom and pickle soup. I guess it was good according to those who had it

gk_891

Not to answer for hanca, but fries with mayo are popular/standard all over Europe. In Germany, for instance, the most common fries dip is mayo.

It must be good then. I'll have to give it a try one of these days although I hate mayo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information