Jeremy Abbott Uber Thread

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I am going to miss seeing his goofy, lopsided smile in the kiss and cry! :)

Wishing to Jeremy a very fulfilling Olympics and - dare I hope- Worlds? If he is feeling well, I hope he goes. It's in Japan, they love him there, and it's the last time... sigh... but how great that Jeremy made it possible for himself to go to Olympics and Worlds once again!

There is a God in heaven! Thank you, Jeremy for your beautiful skating, and for fighting so hard to make the Olympic team for the second time. Four U.S. titles! Do yourself proud in Sochi, Jeremy! Soak up every moment of your final season in eligible skating.

Yes, all this.

He may have been inconsistent competitively speaking, but I'm not sure anyone other than maybe Stephane Lambiel has as diverse a body of work. And really, with very few exceptions, he rocked them all. Jazz (Santana, this year's SP), classical (Waltz LP, Albinoni SP), movie character (Life is Beautiful), abstract soundtrack music (this year's SP, American Beauty, Les Mis), tango, flamenco, big band jazz, rock (Muse; Day in the Life SP), hammy/goofy (last year's SP), in addition to a ton of different exhibitions. (I'm probably missing some.) He has a great future ahead of him in performing and choreography.

shine

Jeremy used to fly into the 3A with so much height and trajectory and lands it in a beautifully extended position. I feel like the rotation of his 3A has been looking slower lately and the landing position not as clean as it used to be. I'm wondering if this is all because of his in the past year?

Blondie12

So anyone think Jeremey can win? I do. Remember Patrick will be under alot of pressure and really more often that not the champion often falters and Patrick has also been gifted some titles too. That cannot go on in the Olympics. If Jeremey has his head together (a big IF) ad skates like he did at nationals, he could win with falters from some of the other guys. From the USFS perspective, better to take a chance at a possible medal w a Jeremey rather than send random skaters who have no hopes just to get experience.

I just hope his mental issues do not haunt him. Even for himself. I think he just wants to skate clean at the Olympics no matter if it medals or not.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
So anyone think Jeremey can win? I do. Remember Patrick will be under alot of pressure and really more often that not the champion often falters and Patrick has also been gifted some titles too. That cannot go on in the Olympics. If Jeremey has his head together (a big IF) ad skates like he did at nationals, he could win with falters from some of the other guys. From the USFS perspective, better to take a chance at a possible medal w a Jeremey rather than send random skaters who have no hopes just to get experience.

I just hope his mental issues do not haunt him. Even for himself. I think he just wants to skate clean at the Olympics no matter if it medals or not.

I don't think he will win the gold, but he is capable of winning a silver or bronze. He may need help from other skaters making mistakes though. He has had a rough season, and the judges may not be willing to give him really high marks that he may be deserving of.

judgejudy27

I agree. I dont think the gold is in reach for him, but a bronze or even silver could be, depending how he skates, and how others do

VGThuy

If Jeremy skates lights out, I can see him having a Jeremy Ten moment and win silver but get the sympathy of the viewing audience.

judgejudy27

If Jeremy skates lights out, I can see him having a Jeremy Ten moment and win silver but get the sympathy of the viewing audience.

I dont think the Olympic judges will let a Chan like moment from Worlds last year happen again though, no matter how poorly the event is skated and how much they love Chan (or Hanyu) a skater who atleast stood upright for most or all the program and had a somewhat reasonable package to go with that will win. A result like that on Olympic ice will sink skating for good.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

I think you mean Denis Ten of KZN (not Jeremy Ten who is a Canadian skater). I was thinking more Paul Wylie moment that would get him a head start on his pro career.

I really believe that Chan will skate well enough to win, and there will not be a controversy. It doesn't mean absolutely clean but with may a minor mistake or two (SP & LP combined)

I just want Jeremy to win a medal of any color, but most important, I want him to be happy with his performances, medal or no medal.

Last edited:

luckiest1

I just was able to watch Jeremy's free skate from Nationals and I was so impressed with how he was patient and kept it together. Way to go Jeremy! I think he could definitely be on the podium at Olympics if he skates two great programs like that again.

Cheylana

I just want Jeremy to win a medal of any color, but most important, I want him to be happy with his performances, medal or no medal.
Me too. I want him to leave eligible skating on a good note, feeling good about his efforts.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Has Jeremy expressed interest in or done any choreography?
Yes. He did his exhibition program with the hat (can't recall the tune) and he and Yuka co-choreographed his Muse FS. Probably there are others as well, and he's said he'd like to choreograph.

Triple Butz

Yes. He did his exhibition program with the hat (can't recall the tune) and he and Yuka co-choreographed his Muse FS. Probably there are others as well, and he's said he'd like to choreograph.

"Rhythm of Love" -Plain White T's

centerpt1

He also did a show skating piece for Valentina a while back.

"Rhythm of Love" is my favorite of his exhibition skates.

I wish him all the best at the Olympics and beyond. I will really miss him as an eligible skater.

centerpt1

Have these been posted yet?

Jeremy interviews- in part two he talks about what he works on in sports psychology, and his biggest fears

http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/Olympics/part-2-jeremy-abbott-talks-with-tara-lapinski/-/11197928/24059106/-/sy6qr9/-/index.html

in part one he talks about the back injury and how therapy helps. Also some intersting comments about the difference between competing 6.0 and COP

http://m.clickondetroit.com/sports/part-1-jeremy-abbott-talks-with-tara-lapinski/-/16732610/24058856/-/100pcpt/-/index.html

Last edited:

Bournekraatzfan

mad :respec:
I'm a longtime fan of Jeremy, and my admiration for him has only grown during these Games. How he picked himself up after that terrible fall and continued to skate his program...wow, what a fighter. I am so, so proud of him. And props to the audience--they were wonderfully supportive and I am sure he was touched by their response.

I was swept away by his LP (my favourite of all the men). Gorgeous blade work, a deep sense of movement and phrasing...chills. And the crowd was right with him. I am so happy he could have this moment at the Olympics. :cheer2:

jenniwren12

ITA. I'm so proud of him. He might not be the best performer internationally, but he works so hard and has never given up. It's been an honor, watching him skate the past few years. I'm happy his career is ending on a high note, even if it's not a medal.

spikydurian

Jeremy, you did well. Remember this! If anyone belittles you, yes, just stick your middle finger at them as you said in your interview. I wish I could help you. I will use both hands including my toes. Now you go dude and to do your next big thing. I think you have the gift for choreography. And I am waiting to see you flourish with the likes of Buttle and Wilson.

Wishing you nothing but the best to come.

bronwynsings

What a way to finish his Olympics. His short program and his long program both were incredibly inspiring!

museksk8r

Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy
Jeremy, you did well. Remember this! If anyone belittles you, yes, just stick your middle finger at them as you said in your interview. I wish I could help you. I will use both hands including my toes. Now you go dude and to do your next big thing. I think you have the gift for choreography. And I am waiting to see you flourish with the likes of Buttle and Wilson.

Wishing you nothing but the best to come.

I agree! Jeremy's haters are being so damn vicious, even after he redeemed himself after the fall in the SP and again in his clean LP. Instead of supporting him for a good job on his comeback, there are some assholes who continue to harp on and on about what a choker he is because he fell instead of focusing on how he bravely rose back up like a powerful phoenix. I am proud of the way Jeremy finished here and will cherish that LP performance forever. He finished wonderfully!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am so proud of Jeremy! That fall in the SP would have taken a weaker minded skater out of the Olympics. Jeremy finished his SP and today he delivered a clean LP. It was quadless, but it was beautiful to watch. This is the LP that had mesmerized me in San Jose at the US nationals. That Jeremy returned today. I wish him the very best at the world championships.

jiejie

Well, his recovery to finish his SP was laudable, as was his FS, but apparently the post-competition interview for him showed his less-than-classy side: :(:(

http://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi...he_sochi_olympics_in_mens_figure_skating.html

“I’d like to put up a middle finger and give them all a big F-U,” Abbott declared to a horde of mainly American journalists, who apparently don’t appreciate the difficulty of skating four nearly four minutes before judges and turning quadruple jumps.
“If you think that’s not hard, then you’re a damn idiot. I’m a four-time national champion, two-time Olympian, and you can’t take that away from me.”

I don't think that sort of comment was warranted. Once, again, a foot-in-mouth episode. And I believe Abbott is retiring immediately and will not go to Worlds.

VGThuy

Well, his recovery to finish his SP was laudable, as was his FS, but apparently the post-competition interview for him showed his less-than-classy side: :(:(

http://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi...he_sochi_olympics_in_mens_figure_skating.html

“I’d like to put up a middle finger and give them all a big F-U,” Abbott declared to a horde of mainly American journalists, who apparently don’t appreciate the difficulty of skating four nearly four minutes before judges and turning quadruple jumps.
“If you think that’s not hard, then you’re a damn idiot. I’m a four-time national champion, two-time Olympian, and you can’t take that away from me.”

I don't think that sort of comment was warranted. Once, again, a foot-in-mouth episode. And I believe Abbott is retiring immediately and will not go to Worlds.

We're already talking about that.

iarispiralllyof

Well, his recovery to finish his SP was laudable, as was his FS, but apparently the post-competition interview for him showed his less-than-classy side:

D: ai yi yi
I think he was reacting to the online haters, right?

jiejie

We're already talking about that.
Sorry, must have missed this elsewhere on the forum.

D: ai yi yi
I think he was reacting to the online haters, right?
Without the entire context, unclear who the "them" is that he speaks of. Maybe he intends a blanket F-U for both media and online forum criticism. Regardless, it comes off as nasty, egotistical, and undercuts the luster of his redemptive skates. Why leave on a downer note when you could have left on an up note? :(

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well it looks like the Olympic gold medal could have been up for grabs, even for Jeremy had he come loaded for bear and determined to really make a statement. Sure, Jere did well to get back up and fight through in the sp and change strategy to go clean in the fp. However, I think that sometimes Jeremy over-thinks too much, and loses focus and confidence in his enormous talent and ability. He definitely does not have the killer instinct or the heart of a lion. But he's a master artist on the ice. I too hope Jeremy will continue to perform, and maybe carve out a career in choreographing.

In any case, it's as if all the top contenders were kerflumped by the fact they weren't competing against the great old Plushy (who uncharacteristically meekly bowed out before sp, even pointing out his surgery scars prior to the warm-up as excuse he could go no further -- well, Plush likely was only intent on winning the team gold in the first place). But I bet Plush is cursing the Gods he felt too injured to compete among this field with all the unexpectedly poor results. Too bad actually for Patrick Chan. Olympic gold seemed within his grasp after Hanyu's huge mistakes in the fp. Very surprising to see a fp comp where Jeremy skates clean (albeit w/o a quad), and Javi, Chan, and Hanyu all implode, while Hanyu NOT PChid, comes out on top in judges' scoring. :eek:

With Jeremy's comments to the media, and all the icky backlash re his performance in the team event, I too wonder if Jeremy will decide to attend Worlds. If he does, he needs to be determined to win and shut his critics up that way! That would be the best way to actually say F*U. Or at the least, (since he's never gotten rep points, and it's hard to win these days without them), he should be prepared to skate the living daylights out of his programs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information