Jeremy Abbott Uber Thread

Cyn

Well, his recovery to finish his SP was laudable, as was his FS, but apparently the post-competition interview for him showed his less-than-classy side: :(:(

http://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi...he_sochi_olympics_in_mens_figure_skating.html

“I’d like to put up a middle finger and give them all a big F-U,” Abbott declared to a horde of mainly American journalists, who apparently don’t appreciate the difficulty of skating four nearly four minutes before judges and turning quadruple jumps.
“If you think that’s not hard, then you’re a damn idiot. I’m a four-time national champion, two-time Olympian, and you can’t take that away from me.”

I don't think that sort of comment was warranted. Once, again, a foot-in-mouth episode. And I believe Abbott is retiring immediately and will not go to Worlds.

If you read the yahoo article, the context of that comment changes:

Asked what he had to say to those who say he chokes, he first exhaled loudly, put his head back and said, "Ahhhh … I would just love…"

He turned to Barb Reichert of U.S. Figure Skating public relations.

"Sorry Barb, you're going to kill me," he said.

"No," she said. "I'm not. Bring it. Bring it."

Abbott brought it.

"I would just hold my middle finger in the air and say a big 'F you' to everyone who has ever said that to me because they have never stood in my shoes," he said, the kind of direct language not commonly found in the skating hall.

"They've never had to do what I had to do. Nobody has to stand center ice before a million people and put an entire career on the line for eight minutes of their life when they've been doing it for 20-some years. And if you don't think that that's not hard, you're a damn idiot.

"So some people can handle it better than others, but everyone has that mental struggle, everyone goes through the same doubts. I am not alone. They just come at different times and different moments. Some people have their moment at the Olympics, and some have theirs at the national championships.

"I'm proud to be standing here. I'm a four-time national champion and a two-time Olympian, and no one can take that away from me. So whatever people have to say about me, that's their own problem because I'm freaking proud of what I've done and I'm not going to apologize for any of it."

Really classy of The Star to pick and choose only the most :eek: portion of what he said :rolleyes: :blah:.

BelleBway

a monkey stole my title
The article I saw has a little more of the background leading up to the finger quote...

Asked what he had to say to those who say he chokes, he first exhaled loudly, put his head back and said, "Ahhhh … I would just love…"

He turned to Barb Reichert of U.S. Figure Skating public relations.

"Sorry Barb, you're going to kill me," he said.

"No," she said. "I'm not. Bring it. Bring it."

Abbott brought it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jeremy...enge-for-being-called-a-choker-191716554.html

So it's pretty clear he was asked specifically to respond to the criticism from the haters and that he wasn't on the attack. For all the talk about how Jeremy is too fragile and not a strong competitor, I'm glad he was frank here and showed that he really does have some fire in him. I mean what should he have said "Yeah, they're right, I suck" and burst into tears?

ETA Cyn beat me to adding the context :respec:

Reactions: Cyn

tourtiere

Jeremy Abbott's PB is only 238.82. Can't believe his 160 FS score is actually a PB for him. Even his total PB score would only be enough for 9th place, behind Peter Liebers.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
er, I know this is slightly off topic, but from the article (emphasis mine)...
When his clean skate was over, his two coaches from the Detroit Skating Club, Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen (who double as close friends)...
That's weirder than just saying nothing about their relationship.

Anyway - Jeremy was FAB this morning. The Team Event sucked for him, and I'm sure that he and his hip would much rather not fallen yesterday, but he had two amazing skates at the Olympics, and he should be very proud. Selfishly, I'd like him to go to Worlds with this newfound "just go skate" attitude for one final chance at a medal, but all respect to him if he hangs up his skates now.

:respec:

BelleBway

a monkey stole my title
To all those who (in other threads) snarked about Jeremy only doing a triple-double combo... he'd already done the triple toe twice in his first 2 elements so he couldn't repeat it. I don't think he does triple loops as the back end of combos and he even skipped his solo triple loop- possibly because of pain.

I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir here :lol: But I don't want to get dragged into the pbp :drama: and I had to say that. I think Jeremy did fabulously today- and hella lot better than I'd have done if I'd smacked my hip into the ice a day earlier. Massive :respec: to him. I'll be happy if he goes to worlds, but if not- I'll be happy he ended his eligible career with such fighting spirit.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
^ that was mentioned in the pbp thread this am - but you know when people are on a tear they don't actually care about a skater making good or even just sensible choices, they only want to rant about why that skater is the worst in all possible ways, on or off the ice.

BelleBway

a monkey stole my title
^ that was mentioned in the pbp thread this am - but you know when people are on a tear they don't actually care about a skater making good or even just sensible choices, they only want to rant about why that skater is the worst in all possible ways, on or off the ice.

I figured it was probably mentioned before the thread got derailed post-event, but I still had to say it. :lol: (I wasn't following pbp live and made a mistake of checking the aftermath thread)

And I also figured that it would do no good to post there because anyone ranting about that wouldn't listen to rational argument.

Cyn

er, I know this is slightly off topic, but from the article (emphasis mine)...

When his clean skate was over, his two coaches from the Detroit Skating Club, Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen (who double as close friends)...

That's weirder than just saying nothing about their relationship.

When I first read the article, I thought the close friends bit was between Yuka and Jason themselves and was a bit :confused:, but after reading it a second time, I think it meant that Yuka and Jason double as Jeremy's close friends as well as his coach.

centerpt1

I can think of a few skaters likely to buy him a drink for making that comment. He put everything he had into this Olympics run. You can't ask more than that.

coppertop1

I am so proud of Jeremy! That fall in the SP would have taken a weaker minded skater out of the Olympics. Jeremy finished his SP and today he delivered a clean LP. It was quadless, but it was beautiful to watch. This is the LP that had mesmerized me in San Jose at the US nationals. That Jeremy returned today. I wish him the very best at the world championships.

I can't believe he was able to finish after that crash in the SP, never mind skate cleanly. THAT is toughness! To all those bashing him after the team SP, take that! I'm glad he finished on a high note. The flack he was getting really rubbed me the wrong way. The poor guy had to skate after Plushenko. If that wasn't enough, it was at the Olympics in RUSSIA! That would throw anyone off.

I think the press and his bashers owe him a big apology, but they won't apologize. I've always enjoyed Jeremy's skating, it's pure quality. All the best to him. He may not come off well all the time but these skaters are human. Sometimes they slip up and lash out.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think Jeremy discovered himself at these Olympics, sort of life Pau Wylie discovered himself in Albertville, but in a different way. He did not win a medal but he found his own strength. I hope he goes to worlds in March, and just skates the way he is capable of.

paskatefan

I think Jeremy discovered himself at these Olympics, sort of life Pau Wylie discovered himself in Albertville, but in a different way. He did not win a medal but he found his own strength. I hope he goes to worlds in March, and just skates the way he is capable of.

:) If he opts to go to Worlds, I hope he skates lights out & silences the naysayers. If he decides to retire right now, my hats off to him for not giving up on himself for the short program & free skate.

museksk8r

Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

It really would be the perfect revenge F-U story to his critics: consummately labeled choker phoenix continues his rise from the ashes by claiming a World gold medal leaving the skating world stunned and amazed. Hooray for underdogs!! I'm a sucker . . . I can't help but root for them. A fan can dream, right? :p

Cyn

It really would be the perfect revenge F-U story to his critics: consummately labeled choker phoenix continues his rise from the ashes by claiming a World gold medal leaving the skating world stunned and amazed. Hooray for underdogs!! I'm a sucker . . . I can't help but root for them. A fan can dream, right? :p

:respec:

In my own little universe, that's precisely the way I'd have it play out. :D

skatesindreams

If Jeremy does indeed go to Worlds, I want him to have two performances he can be proud of and feel great about.

Vagabond

Jeremy Abbott's skates were as courageous as anything I have ever seen in sports. I hope he is selected to carry the U.S. flag at the closing ceremonies.

Kabooke

I applaud Jeremy for going off! :respec:

Gets to a point when you are continually berated that you have to stand up for yourself.

centerpt1

If Jeremy is going to continue on to Worlds- Save some money and fire the Sports Psychologist (who doesn't seem to be helping). Follow the Tom Z Psych out approach (remember he had cutouts of competitors up in the World Arena) and put cut outs of negative journalists up at DSC. That way Jeremy (and perhaps Chan) can do some trash talking as they warm up, and aim some choreo or jumps at the cutouts.

lulu

Very proud of Jeremy on his come back in the SP and great LP.
I must say, that even with the unfortunate fall, his SP was one of my favorites of the night. :cheer:

coppertop1

Good, Jeremy! The media can be really insensitive sometimes, and he needs to let off steam. No one is perfect. He made it to the Olympics twice, something his bashers will never do

oedipamaas

Hi,
I've been following Jeremy's career inasmuch as one can given the media's total scrutiny of him. The narrative before his individual performance was all about his "disappointing 9th place finish" in Vancouver.

And the same bunch are now talking about "Jason Brown's impressive 9th place finish in his first Olympics."

Has this double standard always been plaguing him? If so, I wonder how much this has contributed to his mental problems. If enough people tell you you're a disappointment, you're going to start believing it... I don't care how strong your head is.

(That said, I was very glad about his middle finger comment... that seemed like a long time coming.)

coppertop1

He seems to be a target of the media, especially after he "choked" during the Team SP (when he had to skate after PLUSHENKO. I like Brown, but to say his finish was impressive and Abbott's 9th was disappointing is a double standard. Was Abbott considered a medal hopeful for 2010? Brown didn't skate particularly well.

I'm glad he blasted the media, harping on his finish in Sochi because it was one of the lowest finishes by a US man ever. Did they miss his heroic comeback in the SP?

Cheylana

I don't think it's a double standard. At 2010 Nationals Jeremy beat the reigning WC by a mile and there was a lot of talk about Jeremy being in the gold medal mix - fans thought maybe Jeremy had left his competition demons behind him. Then came the Olympics and Jeremy buried himself into 15th place after the short. A so-so skate enabled him to climb into ninth overall. But had he skated at or near his ability he would likely have won the OGM, or at least have podiumed.

Jason was kind of a surprise addition to the Olympic team inasmuch as his higher Nationals finish prior to 2014 was eighth. He doesn't have a quad or even the steadiest of triple axels, so nobody really expected him to medal here. For a youngster in his first year of competing senior internationally he did well for himself.

So no, not a double standard at all.

I'm not sorry Jeremy made it to Sochi though, he and Jason are the US men I adore the most these days, and the ones I wanted to see skate...medal or no medal.

coppertop1

^^ OK, thanks for clarifying. I couldn't remember if Abbott was considered a medal favourite in Vancouver or not.

oedipamaas

Yes, that makes sense. (Though I still bristle at how he's treated by the media these days. Christine Brennan's twitter feed during the team even was just inhuman, not to mention unprofessional)

coppertop1

Yes, that makes sense. (Though I still bristle at how he's treated by the media these days. Christine Brennan's twitter feed during the team even was just inhuman, not to mention unprofessional)

Oh, the way the media and people on message boards treated him was disgusting. Twisting his words, bashing him for not being perfect, mocking his failrues. Then criticizing him for lashing out. Gee, ever look in the mirror?

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well, here's this Olympic perspective from the inimitable Dick Button, in his recent book:

Most of us don't face moments like those an Olympic skater faces. For example, there's that moment when the pressure is frightening and years of work culminate in one performance that lasts only a few minutes. It is then that the souffle must souffle! ... How does one best prepare for that moment? One's personal experience may be the best guide with which to start.

Dick goes on to comment in this same chapter, appropriately entitled: To Wilt, Or Not to Wilt?

No one thought of 'imagining' that we would win. Nor did we 'visualize' the program. It was instead, a matter of remembering a specific position for each move. Gustave Lussi had taught us multiple positions for each move ... By the time competition came around, these had been culled down to remembering one specific position that would simplify yet focus our concentration and ignite total muscle memory.

ETA:
Dick also discusses the fact that many brilliant skaters trip up at inopportune moments, including himself. He offers examples, personal anecdotes and advice. Says Dick:

...Ultimately, a skater's best weapon against wilting or continuing to wilt: finding the unique thing, or combination of things that will keep that particular skater's mind and body attuned, relaxed, and ready for anything. Because on ice, anything goes -- and usually does!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information