Yuzuru Hanyu Divorced (updated)

On My Own

Granny fans were never the problem though, lol, unless they're the ones being all cultish over the internet :lol: Funny to imagine a 75 year old woman typing some of the things they do.

MINAM

The "NICE" Admin
Staff member
Surprising news. TV shows are speculating who the mystery person is. In Japan, celebrity marriage announcements include how the two met, how that person has supported them throughout difficulties, etc. Hanyu's announcement only stating he's getting married is quite rare.
Anyway, congratulations!

Last edited:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively

sk9tingfan

Is the translation poor, is there a cultural difference that I am missing, or did he really say ONLY “I have decided to get married”? This sounds almost like he’s launching a search, putting himself on the market, so to speak 😀 anyway… much happiness to him and whomever!
I've put out a query to my friend in Osaka to see what her take is.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The translations posted on reddit seem to make it clear that it has already happened.

I congratulate him - not only for their happiness, but to keep a partner so serious that they have married out of all knowledge of the incredibly invasive, psychotic parts of his fanbase is a feat rather more impressive than all his skating ones, to me! Hopefully they will leave the happy couple alone.

sus2850

And I thought he had no social media…. So this was really an official/true anouncement by the real Hanyu?

Sally1214

Where, exactly, in this "announcement" did Hanyu ever say he was married? He said "I have decided to get married." VERY different statement from announcing he is already a married man. People "decide" to do things all the times. Often people don't think they ever want to get married and then change their minds and decide they do. I do not believe this is an announcement of a marriage which has already taken place. It does not say that. All he talks about after he's said he's decided he will get married is skating. No mention of an actual spouse, no date or place of marriage (or engagement). No, this is way too hoaky for me to take as an actual confirmation of a wedding that has taken place. I'm filing it under "misleading headline."

sus2850

I just wondered as there was no link provided and „on social media“ sounded pretty vague to me.
So what do his fans say, I hope they are happy for him?

sus2850

Where, exactly, in this "announcement" did Hanyu ever say he was married? He said "I have decided to get married." VERY different statement from announcing he is already a married man. People "decide" to do things all the times. Often people don't think they ever want to get married and then change their minds and decide they do. I do not believe this is an announcement of a marriage which has already taken place. It does not say that. All he talks about after he's said he's decided he will get married is skating. No mention of an actual spouse, no date or place of marriage (or engagement). No, this is way too hoaky for me to take as an actual confirmation of a wedding that has taken place. I'm filing it under "misleading headline."
I now found an article by the newspaper Asahi Shimbun which has this translation (without a link to the original message):

„Two-time Olympic men’s figure skater champion Hanyu Yuzuru broke the news on his official social media account that he is now married.

“To all of you who have always supported me. I, Yuzuru Hanyu, have decided to enter the family register,” he wrote, posting an image of the document that records changes in a person’s circumstances, such as marriage. “I will continue to skate one by one, moment by moment, so that I can skate at my best from now on.”

Cachoo

The translations posted on reddit seem to make it clear that it has already happened.

I congratulate him - not only for their happiness, but to keep a partner so serious that they have married out of all knowledge of the incredibly invasive, psychotic parts of his fanbase is a feat rather more impressive than all his skating ones, to me! Hopefully they will leave the happy couple alone.
The privacy alone is a triumph. I hope he and his wife have a blissful year.

YukiNieve

Japanese people have a family register which is an official document that is kept at the local municipal office. The family register lists members of the family, such as mother, father, and kids, and the infomration about when they got married, when and where they were born. (A side note: this system is quite useful when one wants to build the family tree as you can go back like nearly 200 years ago).

When you get married in Japan, you need to go to the municipal office where your family register is kept to inform them that you just got married, just like you submit a document to get a marriage certificate in some countries. Then the office creates a new family register for you and your spouse (and removes your name from your parents' register).

What Yuzuru said in the statement is, "I, Yuzuru Hanyu, is going to do ”Nyuseki” (this time)." Nyuseki means that you submit and sign the form to inform the municipal office about your marriage and the office will create a new family register for the newly-wed couple.

When you submit the form to the municipal office, your marriage becomes "officially recognized."

So when Yuzuru says he is going to do "Nyuseki," he is about to officially declare that he is married (and this means he already has someone whom he is going to marry).

Congratulations, Hanyu-san!! 🎉🎉🎉

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Japanese people have a family register which is an official document that is kept at the local municipal office. The family register lists members of the family, such as the mother, father, and kids, and the infomration about when they got married, when and where they were born. (A side note: this system is quite useful when one wants to build the family tree as you can go back like nearly 200 years ago).

When you get married in Japan, you need to go to the municipal office where your family register is kept to inform them that you just got married, just like you submit a document to get a marriage certificate in some countries. Then the office creates a new family register for you and your spouse (and removes your name from your parents' register).

What Yuzuru said in the statement is, "I, Yuzuru Hanyu, is going to do ”Nyuseki” (this time)." Nyuseki means that you submit and sign the form to inform the municipal office about your marriage and the office will create a new family register for the newly-wed couple.

When you submit the form to the municipal office, your marriage becomes "officially recognized."

So when Yuzuru says he is going to do "Nyuseki," he is about to officially declare that he is married (and this means he already has someone whom he is going to marry).

Congratulations, Hanyu-san!! 🎉🎉🎉
This is in Japan. It must be a female wife. Congratulations! 🎉 🥳 💐

barbarafan

This is in Japan. It must be a female wife. Congratulations! 🎉 🥳 💐
When asked before about his future family life he said when he marries it would be a Japanese woman. That was the criteria. It is possible he fell madly in love but also possible (with his high sense of duty and responsibility ) he looked and found someone who checked all his boxes and proceeded to the courting stage. Hope whichever way she is wonderful as a person and they make each other happy.

Cachoo

When asked before about his future family life he said when he marries it would be a Japanese woman. That was the criteria. It is possible he fell madly in love but also possible (with his high sense of duty and responsibility ) he looked and found someone who checked all his boxes and proceeded to the courting stage. Hope whichever way she is wonderful as a person and they make eachL
I hope it was more than duty. I’ve seen “because it was the right thing to do” backfire so many times.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information