IOC names French Alps and Salt Lake City as "Preferred Hosts" for 2030 and 2034 Olympic Games

A.H.Black

https://olympics.com/ioc/news/the-f...pic-and-paralympic-winter-games-2030-and-2034

In being named "Preferred Hosts" both places would have to mess up big time to not be officially awarded those games next year.

There's lots of video from Salt Lake. Please post. They are very excited to host another games. Actually they are ready now. All the main venues are still in use and thriving. There was a trust fund put in place after 2002 that kept everything going. Some updating and refurbishing will be needed. The 2002 games were one of only two games that actually made a profit (the other was L.A.).

Salt Lake actually bid for both the 2030 and 2034 games but preferred the 2034 Olympics. Since LA will be hosting in 2028, it would have been more difficult to raise money and get sponsorships for another US games so soon afterwards.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
https://olympics.com/ioc/news/the-f...pic-and-paralympic-winter-games-2030-and-2034

In being named "Preferred Hosts" both places would have to mess up big time to not be officially awarded those games next year.

There's lots of video from Salt Lake. Please post. They are very excited to host another games. Actually they are ready now. All the main venues are still in use and thriving. There was a trust fund put in place after 2002 that kept everything going. Some updating and refurbishing will be needed. The 2002 games were one of only two games that actually made a profit (the other was L.A.).
Wow. Speculation going into today was the IOC would elevate all three of the European nations (Sweden, Switzerland and France) to targeted dialogue for 2030. I'm surprised they didn't, to be honest, because none of the bids are super-strong and could easily fall apart.

Last edited:

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
There should be a 1/100 vBet on whether Nathan Chen lights the cauldron. Hometown boy gets inspired by the 2002 Olympics and learns to skate on the practice ice that was turned into a community athletic center. And with the help of many benefactors, he grows up to be an Olympic champion. Doesn't get more Olympic than that. :bribe:

A.H.Black

I have family in Logan. It would be a hike, but worth it!
In 2002 the Russians practiced in Logan. I went up the Tuesday before the Opening Ceremonies to watch. Lots of towns will have lots of things going on. Also, in 2002, the traffic was better than usual rather than worse. It's about an hour-and-a-half from Logan to Salt Lake.

One of the new ideas I heard floated today is to have a "family village" along with the athletes village. Families of athletes could stay there. It wouldn't be free but it would be available for families, including those who don't know if they are coming until the last minute

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
What? SLC never hosted a Winter Olympics in 2002. Michelle Kwan didn't lose the gold. In fact that season never happened. :wuzrobbed
I managed to remain unspoiled about those results, despite my mother doing her best to ruin the surprise of my favorite winning.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
I did not realize that Nice would host the figure skating events for the 2030 Olympics! 🤯 I knew France was bidding, but I had no idea that they intended to hold Winter Olympic events in a warm, sunny city. It's a great time to have just bought a property there! :cheer: :cheer2: Sadly, it only has two bedrooms.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I did not realize that Nice would host the figure skating events for the 2030 Olympics! 🤯 I knew France was bidding, but I had no idea that they intended to hold Winter Olympic events in a warm, sunny city. It's a great time to have just bought a property there! :cheer: :cheer2: Sadly, it only has two bedrooms.
That is one of our favourite places to visit - if you are looking for a retired couple from Canada to rent from you for a month - when I retire soonish..

Jammers

There should be a 1/100 vBet on whether Nathan Chen lights the cauldron. Hometown boy gets inspired by the 2002 Olympics and learns to skate on the practice ice that was turned into a community athletic center. And with the help of many benefactors, he grows up to be an Olympic champion. Doesn't get more Olympic than that. :bribe:
Just like i can't see anyone but Michael Phelps lighting the cauldron in LA in 2028. I can't think of anyone else that the US could call on other then the greatest Olympian of all time to light it. But nothing will ever top Muhammad Ali lighting the cauldron in Atlanta. Even as he shook with the torch in his hand he showed his strength and dignity.

Judy

I can tolerate the one with the biggest house, and she probably won't notice if I sneak a couple of y'all into the basement, which gives us a decade to decide who gets that honor.
Basement windows possibly? 🤣🤷‍♀️

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
DIBS.

ilovesalchows

Yes! I have family in Paris and Geneva. In fact, we are staying in the Paris apartment this summer for the Os. (I have family in SLC too, but that hookup is sooooo not worth it)

myhoneyhoney

I can tolerate the one with the biggest house, and she probably won't notice if I sneak a couple of y'all into the basement, which gives us a decade to decide who gets that honor.
I’m exactly 5 feet tall. I can squish in anywhere! Hint hint…. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information