Yuzuru Hanyu Divorced (updated)

Xallie

It seems ever more suspicious that there are bits to this that started even before the marriage announcement happened. Maybe he was only being followed because of his celebrity, or maybe there's even more behind the scenes.
Well, the speculation about one apartment being for the married couple only started after the announcement, of course. Before that, people speculated one was for him and the other, for the rest of his family.

I don't think there's much more going on behind the scenes. He leads an unusual life, the paps are always interested in finding out more. They frequently wait for him at the rink to see who he's with, and from what I've heard, even during the three months he was married, it was still his family driving with him, and no wife in sight.
He's a one-track-mind workaholic, I don't think there's much more to it.

On My Own

I don't think there's much more going on behind the scenes.
Maybe, maybe not. We don't know why they didn't want her out of the house if, as you say, she was never spotted with him at all:
He leads an unusual life, the paps are always interested in finding out more. They frequently wait for him at the rink to see who he's with, and from what I've heard, even during the three months he was married, it was still his family driving with him, and no wife in sight.

Anyway, this seems poorly handled to me. Sure, maybe we can also say his ex-wife is also culpable, because two-way street also applies to her.

On My Own

So a 'petty update' based off the screencapping and fanwarring happening on twitter seems to be that some Japanese 🕳️ fans are convinced that Shohei Ohtani's management company or whatever has a hand in all this?

Like I know they've been attempting to blame Boyang's agency on weibo, because you know. Can't get most of the assholes spreading rumours about him on the regular last season banned off social media, but sure will have articles written in Japanese in Japan.

(this is me saying they're all delusional, and I doubt outlets like Bunshun care so much about who is the most famous athlete in Japan or who has the best 4Lz or whatever these agencies care about and are supposedly doing in order to 'lower Hanyu's fame' or whatever)

DreamSkates

Maybe, maybe not. We don't know why they didn't want her out of the house if, as you say, she was never spotted with him at all:

Anyway, this seems poorly handled to me. Sure, maybe we can also say his ex-wife is also culpable, because two-way street also applies to her.
Japan is very make-dominant so she might not have had the choices she would make on her own.

On My Own

Japan is very make-dominant so she might not have had the choices she would make on her own.
Well that very much does seem to be partly the reason Hanyu's getting backlash. Why didn't she have the choice?

I do agree with airlegaal that (right now, from what we know,) surely the ex-wife would have known how he and his family were, so in some sense the responsibility also lies with her. And also that it seems strange she's not personally speaking up about this.

Although I will point out, it seems pretty much certain that the violinist is indeed the ex-wife. Not just because I believe Bunshun can be trusted, but also because he could literally just say "she isn't my wife", and won't exactly need to even sue anyone with that much - the credibility of anyone claiming so would be lost immediately.

On My Own

Last edited:

On My Own

Evgenia Medvedeva shared a story about her ex-boyfriend who got married and divorced within three months.

“Last year, I had a situation where my ex got married. And I was like, ‘Ha-ha’…

And then, three months later, he got divorced. And I was like, ‘Ha-ha!'” – shared the two-time world figure skating champion on the show “No Comments.”
Is this supposed to be tongue-in-cheek? I would guess so, but am seeing 🕳️ fans losing it so am now genuinely curious.

Rafter

Is this supposed to be tongue-in-cheek? I would guess so, but am seeing 🕳️ fans losing it so am now genuinely curious.

I have a few friends who are members of the Cricket Club. They told me years ago when Hanyu and Med were both training there that they were dating. Very common knowledge at the CC.

AnnM

Baseball player Shohei Ohtani announced his unidentified secret wife today, so perhaps this is now the norm with Japanese sports celebrities. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Perhaps their relationship will fare better since he (and her?) spends much of the year in the US.

Willin

Usually if a Japanese celeb marries a normal citizen they do keep their identity secret. This will be a lot easier for Shohei than Yuzu because Shohei primarily lives in the US right now - the MLB season + spring training is long. She could spend almost the whole year in LA and lord knows he has enough money to live in one of those high security celeb enclaves to protect her. The Japanese paparazzi also don't tend to go to LA to find out who they are.

If they marry another celeb or public figure it's a whole process of press conferences, press releases, and interviews.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Baseball player Shohei Ohtani announced his unidentified secret wife today, so perhaps this is now the norm with Japanese sports celebrities. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Perhaps their relationship will fare better since he (and her?) spends much of the year in the US.
Most of Seattle is going to blame her for him signing with LA and not Seattle, :lol:

I think most of the begging at the All Star Game wasn't with any real hope. The "But Ichiro works in the Mariners' front office" wasn't very convincing, when Ohtani could write his own ticket.

Reactions: tlk

On My Own

Are Japanese athletes expected to announce their spouses' names? I don't think I know the names or faces of the spouses of any of the athletes of my country lol. Not unless they are a big name athlete who married another big name athlete or a movie star/singer/politician... Actually, I feel like that's the norm everywhere?

Basically I'm saying I'm not sure what Hanyu and Ohtani did is all that weird. What happened to Hanyu afterwards might be a special case, goodness knows for what reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information