Yuzuru Hanyu Divorced (updated)

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
This thread is quickly reminding me of the Twitter threads I've seldom clicked upon whenever certain posters brought them up.

I personally don't see much interest in needing to know the exact details of why his marriage didn't work out. I'm sorry that it didn't, and I'm not going to be borderline psychotic in assuming I know everything that he nor anyone else have ever revealed about his personal life. For as much slack as 'skating Twitter' gets for their behavior, this sure is headed in some kind of similar direction.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
This thread is quickly reminding me of the Twitter threads I've seldom clicked upon whenever certain posters brought them up.

I personally don't see much interest in needing to know the exact details of why his marriage didn't work out. I'm sorry that it didn't, and I'm not going to be borderline psychotic in assuming I know everything that he nor anyone else have ever revealed about his personal life. For as much slack as 'skating Twitter' gets for their behavior, this sure is headed in some kind of similar direction.
Good for you Lucinda Ruh :lol:

just tuned in

Yes.

I think she left the marriage and he’s saying he was as the one to do it because the fans would lose it on her if she dumped Yuzu and his image wouldn’t want to be the one dumped either.

And she’s just like “Say whatever you want. I’m done.”
Thank you. Now, this is plausible.

jackson

Going for the Iron Lotus
I still find this to be one of the oddest stories of all times. Best of wishes to him, but I wonder if there is something fishy painting himself as the hero on this? Maybe one day we will all know? Also, I was so surprise from my friends still in the sport to learn the level of fame skaters have in Japan, and I think it's great for the sport - I just look at it as an early 2000s pop culture fan and see this is messy like tabloid gossip! Entertaining though!

rhapsody

Congratulations.

On My Own

(machine translated)

《105 days divorce with Yuzuru Hanyu》 Ex-wife, Mayuko Suenobu's guardian accuses her real name "I can't forgive Hanyu's lies" "I want you to apologize for 'I couldn't make you happy'"​

Professional figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu (29) announced his divorce from former professional violinist Mayuko Suenobu (36) at midnight on November 17 this year. Tadashi Yasuda, the 82-year-old president of Masashi Collection 1225, a cosmetics company that has supported Suenobu for many years, said in an interview with Shukan Bunshun that he could not forgive Hanyu's lies.

https://bunshun.jp/articles/photo/68108?pn=1
Hanyu announced his marriage on his social media on August 4. However, he did not mention the personality of the other party at all, and his only comment about marriage was "This time, I, Yuzuru Hanyu, have decided to enroll." Most of them were enthusiastic about figure skating.

"Later, a report in the local newspaper 'Nikkan Shin Shunan' in Yamaguchi Prefecture revealed that the other woman was Suenobu, a former professional violinist, and the two met at the ice show 'Fantasy on Ice' in 2019 and developed a relationship."
However, Hanyu announced his divorce again on his SNS at midnight on November 17. "I am married to an ordinary person," he said, adding that Hanyu and his "partner who is an ordinary person" have been troubled by "slander, stalking, and unauthorized interviews and reporting." Although the two of us tried to get over it, it was extremely difficult to continue to protect my partner and myself, so I made the decision to divorce. Only 105 days after the announcement of the marriage, the reason for the divorce was "to protect the other party" caused a big stir.

On the other hand, Mr. Yasuda is from Fukushima Prefecture and founded his current company in 1967. It is said that he has been called a "revolutionary child of the beauty world" for the development of original shampoos. Suenobu's father is an old acquaintance, and since his death in 2012, he has supported her activities as a violinist. In a way, he is like a guardian. In 2013, Suenobu also wrote on his SNS, "I have a gratitude that I can't express enough to Chairman (Yasuda)" (now deleted).
Mr. Yasuda said the following about Hanyu's divorce comments.

"That was put out by Hanyu on his own, and Hanyu is a celebrity, so all he says is reported. I defended them,' but that's all a lie. Why was it necessary for ordinary people to pass through? She is a professional violinist. She even abandoned that path to marry Hanyu. I want you to apologize for not being able to make me happy. He's too immature as a human being."
The 120-minute interview with Mr. Yasuda was published in the "Weekly Bunshun" electronic edition distributed at 12 o'clock on Tuesday, December 26 and the "Weekly Bunshun" released on Wednesday, December 27. He talks about the reality of his marriage to Hanyu that Suenobu experienced, his resentment against Hanyu for not protecting his wife, and Suenobu's recent situation after his divorce.

Hashtag created on weibo is something like "Hanyu's ex-wife responds".

[Ex-wife's guardian accuses real name for 120 minutes] "The Yuzuru Hanyu family cornered Mayuko Suenobu" "Hanyu is lying"

I'm sure social media will be on fire with this. I just want to say, quite a few of the rumours have turned out to be true with this, like her giving up her job and his mother being overbearing, if Bunshun is to be trusted, which I don't find reason not to (and there are some more zingers, that I am wondering are true now). I don't believe Hanyu deserves respect for this.

(ETA: Fixed some links)

Last edited:

On My Own

Hashtag created on weibo is something like "Hanyu's ex-wife responds".
Oh and my favorite comment underneath the post on weibo goes something like "this woman only said she divorced but did not say whom she divorced".

Relevant to bullshit these "people" did underneath each """"tabloid"""" post on weibo:
I agree it was effective - because most just backed away from the crazy. But it was probably not effective in the sense that anybody was at all convinced.

ETA: https://weibo.com/3725773862/NyVJVDZbw (under a different hashtag)

"I don't know whose ex-wife it is, but I'm sure she's not Hanyu's ex-wife". :lol:

Last edited:

airgelaal

I'm sure social media will be on fire with this. I just want to say, quite a few of the rumours have turned out to be true with this, like her giving up her job and his mother being overbearing, if Bunshun is to be trusted, which I don't find reason not to (and there are some more zingers, that I am wondering are true now). I don't believe Hanyu deserves respect for this.
Reply from Hanyu

by google-translate
I'm surprised to see articles based on terrible "delusions," "imagination," and "lies."
That's amazing😊
I won't do it because there's nothing good about suing and winning.

On My Own

LOL. Does he think this'll help him? He's basically admitting he's seen the Bunshun article, and it's highly suspicious that he's still not even named his ex-wife personally. The reply comes across as completely petty and childish.

I'd posted on the T-Swift thread that a lot of 'stars' have a very manufactured image to the public. Hanyu is probably at the top of the list. This reply is clearly meant to galvanize his fanbase against this particular media - something that I've posted about before in the form of articles on this thread, as was done by the fans of a different Japanese celebrity. I bet anything he and his team know it, and they should be ashamed. Misogyny runs deep in Asian society, and they're using it to call the woman and her family liars, on an article coming from something known to be investigative media.

On My Own

Thank you all the fans for all the support

Thank you so much always...!
I'll be skating forever and ever!

According to the chinese fanyu translation of this (so big, big asterisk next to 'translation'), he basically repeats what he said in the tweet (and that the lies have been going on since he was in his teens/'10s'), and adds that he wants to pour his heart and soul (and other flowery bs) into skating.

On My Own

Oh dear. Poor woman, they'll go after her like rabid wolves. :(
Actually, to be "fair", reading reddit, some don't even believe this is indeed the woman he married. Guess some won't believe it unless he specifically announces who it was? And therefore won't attack this person, unless they decide she's some sort of fame whore, I guess.

There was literally only one person in the marriage, both according to Hanyu and his fans.

just tuned in

yeah... I don't get it. He divorced, giving a reason that his wife didn't like the paparazzies and attention.

Now her father (?) has some beef with that?

On My Own

yeah... I don't get it. He divorced, giving a reason that his wife didn't like the paparazzies and attention.

Now her father (?) has some beef with that?
Full article behind a paywall, but this is from the summary of the full bunshun article (via machine translation):

"After Mayuko got married, Hanyu's mother and sister forbade her to go out. Divorce comments were also announced without permission, and Mayuko's mother lost 10 kg ... Hanyu is lying."
"I've been friends with Mayuko's father for a long time, and since he passed away about 10 years ago, I've really thought of her as his daughter. At her debut stage, which was right after her father died, she was crying while playing. That was my starting point. Since then, I've been supporting her as a violinist, and I've had her play the violin many times at our company events. She's a young lady and a really good girl. I was going to give up that violin and get married, so I was very prepared. I really made up my mind."

The man claims to be the ex-wife's father's friend. The article seems to be about her being mistreated by Hanyu's family - thereby making Hanyu's comment about media harassment a lie.

Willin

On one hand I don't know who to believe - tabloids gonna tabloid and things here make sense with what we know. His wife was somehow hidden from the public - easy to do if she wasn't allowed outside. If his wife was indeed the violinist she did mysteriously retire - which the article claims the reason for that was the marriage.

But honestly if the violinist was the wife the truth is probably somewhere in the middle: Hanyu (and his family) may have been so worried about her identity getting found out or the tabloids ruining their marriage that they became her captors. If this is true it's possible they thought they did nothing wrong, not realizing how their actions could hurt someone. Either because the harassment is the truth or because they're overly paranoid I somehow don't think Yuzu will be able to have any sort of actual relationship unless he steps back from the public eye or moves out of Japan - but I also think he probably doesn't realize that.

I'm a little surprised to see Yuzu clap back, but I guess it shows he does indeed have a breaking point.

On My Own

On one hand I don't know who to believe - tabloids gonna tabloid and things here make sense with what we know. His wife was somehow hidden from the public - easy to do if she wasn't allowed outside. If his wife was indeed the violinist she did mysteriously retire - which the article claims the reason for that was the marriage.

But honestly if the violinist was the wife the truth is probably somewhere in the middle: Hanyu (and his family) may have been so worried about her identity getting found out or the tabloids ruining their marriage that they became her captors. If this is true it's possible they thought they did nothing wrong, not realizing how their actions could hurt someone. Either because the harassment is the truth or because they're overly paranoid I somehow don't think Yuzu will be able to have any sort of actual relationship unless he steps back from the public eye or moves out of Japan - but I also think he probably doesn't realize that.

I'm a little surprised to see Yuzu clap back, but I guess it shows he does indeed have a breaking point.
IF the article's contents are as fallacious as he claims - he is indeed free to sue. This was exactly the point that was brought up (rightly) before, he could indeed have sued the stalkers, harassers, and "media".

This is actually discussed quite a bit in PI. Everyone blames "the media", as if "the media"'s job isn't to investigate and be cynical about public figures. If they crossed a line, Hanyu's free to sue - yet he didn't. Somehow, this "tabloid" - which sure, technically is a tabloid yet has engineered the downfall of several unscrupulous politicians and celebrities and is praised for its investigative work - has now amplified the previous "tabloid" rumours of his (ex-)wife's identity, that she gave up her job for this, and the fact that his mother was controlling. He has thrown the mic to his fans yet again, this time publicly and deliberately (so, no, not poor innocent fanyus who are always unfairly blamed and who've 100% not been directed to do so this time around, if they indeed attack the ex-wife).

What gives? Is his image really supposed to be that infallible that no one can even criticize? It's VERY poorly handled on his part, and the reason for him being called 妈宝男 has become very clear. I don't really care about his "breaking point". The LEAST he could do by now his name his ex-wife. It absolutely doesn't look like he's "protecting her" at this point, rather he's protecting himself and his family - and that's why I tend to believe these articles.

Oh and I see he's still delusional about winning. He got his ass handed to him at nearly every major competition before he retired for four years - apparently that didn't deflate his head.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

As @On My Own has pointed out - this particular "tabloid" is well-known in Japan for its investigative journalism - they've gotten some big TRUE scoops because most of the traditional/mainstream media outlets there are too deferential to politicians and corporations. This media outlet has not shied away from digging around for the truth, even if it means going against influential people and revered celebrities. Knowing this does make me less inclined to dismiss their report as "tabloids gonna tabloid..."

Another thing to consider is how patriarchal Japanese society is. The wife being subsumed into her husband's family to the point where she 1) chose to give up her career, and 2) obeyed her husband's family's wishes to retreat from the public eye and live in a strictly guarded compound with her MIL and extended family is entirely plausible. And, I can see all of that putting a massive strain on the short-lived marriage. I don't see the challenge to Yuzu having a successful relationship being either a move out of the country or stepping away from the public eye. The challenge is finding a woman willing to accept a third person in the marriage and that she won't be the primary woman in his life until her MIL is dead - that Yuzu is clapping back here about this report, which doesn't paint Mama Hanyu in a favorable light at all, only proves it.

On My Own

@VGThuy It's begun!!

Just for the record, I think this is a sickening use of an actually useful feature on Twitter, so it's not supposed to be funny. I have no idea if it's allowed to 'community note' literal clips of a news publication as "misinformation", or dismissing publications like the one being spoken about as 'tabloids' when there's been extensive documentation of how it's helped uncover stories before. In this particular case, as an example, Hanyu claiming he was harassed and that the media is slandering him or whatever doesn't mean much - he could just as likely be lying.

Using a channel that's meant to clear misinformation in a way that suppresses opinions and information altogether is not right.

Serious discussion can go there. Funny discussion can go here.

puglover

Any idea what the feeling is in Japanese culture about pre-nups? She may need to have substantial resources to protect herself and who knows if she will ever be able to return to her profession at which she seemed to be quite successful.

starrynight

So am I right in understanding that she and Hanyu married, and then she had to move in with his mother, not go outside and agree to a situation where no one ever finds out they are married?

I can’t imagine a situation where a woman who is 36 and has an independent successful career would find that arrangement appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information