Yuzuru Hanyu Divorced (updated)

airgelaal

So am I right in understanding that she and Hanyu married, and then she had to move in with his mother, not go outside and agree to a situation where no one ever finds out they are married?

I can’t imagine a situation where a woman who is 36 and has an independent successful career would find that arrangement appealing.
Why not? I know such women and they are very happy housewives. By the way, I also know men who chose family instead of career.
If we are talking about fame and popularity, then it can be very tiring. I know people who were happy to give up all this.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
So if this is true she basically lived as a member of the Japanese Imperial Family in a compound not allowed to go out unless the Household Agency (aka Hanyu's mother) said it was okay? Oof.

I'm a stay at home mom/housewife who quit grad school to take care of my elderly mom before she died. At least I can go out and do whatever I want. I would cut and run if I were her too!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Why not? I know such women and they are very happy housewives. By the way, I also know men who chose family instead of career.
If we are talking about fame and popularity, then it can be very tiring. I know people who were happy to give up all this.
Well, now... You've addressed several of the points made by the OP but not the one most women in their mid-30s who have lived independently and successfully would probably find most challenging... The prospect of living with the mother-in-law (and perhaps also a sister-in-law). That's... A lot. I'm saying this as an ex-SIL whose brother & new wife (with a daughter from a previous relationship) temporarily moved in with my parents where I was also living while in my 20s - and that situation didn't last long since my brother wanted the marriage to work so they found their own place within a couple months.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
It's one thing to decide to be a housewife, but the stories were saying she wasn't even allowed to go out of the home. That's excessive.

also i would literally die if i had to live with my mil lol

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
A detour. There are two Melinda Gates stories that circulated widely around Seattle: the first is that Bill Gates' dream compound was deep into construction, but when she saw the plans, she said, um, no, the kids aren't growing up in a separate building, and they changed the plans. The second is that the advisors wanted to keep her and the kids under lock and key, and she said, um, no, we're not living like prisoners, so they figured out alternate security.

Hanyu doesn't have that kind of money, but, surely, there were alternatives, if he really wanted to be and stay married.

canbelto

This story sort of says the quiet part out loud, which is that behind every great skater there seems to be an excessively overbearing, domineering, Mama-Rose-like Skating Mom. And that Skating Moms often have a hard time letting go of their precious skating angel son/daughter, and it can be hard for a significant other to adjust.

This isn't unique to skating. It's common in all elite sports, and also virtuoso musicians and dancers.

airgelaal

It's one thing to decide to be a housewife, but the stories were saying she wasn't even allowed to go out of the home. That's excessive.

also i would literally die if i had to live with my mil lol
Working from home is a blessing, no need to leave home :D

I understand where the negative comments about Hanyu come from and I agree with many of them. But I also have questions for his ex-wife. They didn't meet at a wedding. His family and his fans were nothing new to her.

starrynight

Working from home is a blessing, no need to leave home :D

I understand where the negative comments about Hanyu come from and I agree with many of them. But I also have questions for his ex-wife. They didn't meet at a wedding. His family and his fans were nothing new to her.

Given she was 36, I wonder if her better judgement was impaired by feeling time pressured for a desire for marriage and a family?

I think at that age it can go two ways - either one appreciates that any partner must improve one’s quality of life to be worth it or it is a ‘any port in a storm’ kind of situation to secure children.

airgelaal

In any case, I still don't understand the purpose of this article. For Hanyu to publicly name his ex-wife and admit that the marriage failed because of his family? How will this help her? Rather, on the contrary, it will only worsen the situation with his fans.
If she was treated poorly by Hanyu and his family, then she has every right not to remain silent. But this should be her choice, and not the stories of some "godfather".

starrynight

Yeah I mean I’m the same age as Hanyu’s ex wife and I’m trying to imagine giving up my independence and job just to marry some 29 year old that wants me to move in with his mother and not go outside, work or be publicly acknowledged as his wife….

It’s not painting a pretty picture in my head … :scream:

airgelaal

Lots of people get married thinking they can handle their MIL and find out they were wrong. 🤷 (And it really seems like it wasn't the fans that doomed the marriage.)
I know. And this means that she must bear some responsibility for the broken marriage too.

canbelto

I'm kind of confused. Does she mean she LITERALLY isn't allowed to go anywhere? Like she can't go to the movies, the mall, anywhere?

Willin

Honestly, the whole going out of the house thing is just straight delusion.

Hanyu is one of Japan's most famous men. If he announces he's married, everyone will be looking for a wife and trying to find out who she is even if he's as vague as he was. Eventually someone will figure out her identity regardless. Hanyu has to be naive to think otherwise. His wife and sister were keeping her at home to avoid harassment is not a reasonable solution. Her identity would still come out, and he'd just look like a jerk who doesn't understand how to have a relationship.

The better answer to this would be to a) never announce the marriage in the first place and try to hide anything (as they'd apparently been able to hide their relationship up to that point) or b) make your marriage public and turn yourself into couple goals so the fans will fight the paparazzi battle for you.

There was a jpop star who, at 19 and about to have a few projects centered around her, got knocked up by a guy who was 27, less famous, and who had only been dating her less than a year. This was an idol - someone supposed to be virginal and pure and not date anyone. It was quite the scandal both because of the circumstances and because it ruined the projects she was working on (involving other people). They got married and she took time away from stardom. Then she returned to blogging, became a mommy blogger, developed a few merch lines for moms and babies, and got both herself and especially her husband more famous than ever on television. While people including the tabloids criticized their relationship at the time, 16 years later their instagrams and YouTube channel make them one of the most popular couples in Japan to this day. The tabloids try to dig up stuff, but the worst they've found is neighbors complaining their kids are spoiled and too loud. One time tabloids brought up that the couple had arguments - to which they gained more fans by stating the shockingly healthy and mature way they handle their arguments. Their fans are some individual fans, but a lot of fans of their family as a whole.

Yuzu could've gone that route. If you've got nothing to hide, sometimes it's best to not hide it - tabloids live off of hidden secrets. But he didn't, and it made things messy. Maybe he was worried about the fan backlash?

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Honestly, the whole going out of the house thing is just straight delusion.

Hanyu is one of Japan's most famous men. If he announces he's married, everyone will be looking for a wife and trying to find out who she is even if he's as vague as he was. Eventually someone will figure out her identity regardless. Hanyu has to be naive to think otherwise. His wife and sister were keeping her at home to avoid harassment is not a reasonable solution. Her identity would still come out, and he'd just look like a jerk who doesn't understand how to have a relationship.

The better answer to this would be to a) never announce the marriage in the first place and try to hide anything (as they'd apparently been able to hide their relationship up to that point) or b) make your marriage public and turn yourself into couple goals so the fans will fight the paparazzi battle for you.

There was a jpop star who, at 19 and about to have a few projects centered around her, got knocked up by a guy who was 27, less famous, and who had only been dating her less than a year. This was an idol - someone supposed to be virginal and pure and not date anyone. It was quite the scandal both because of the circumstances and because it ruined the projects she was working on (involving other people). They got married and she took time away from stardom. Then she returned to blogging, became a mommy blogger, developed a few merch lines for moms and babies, and got both herself and especially her husband more famous than ever on television. While people including the tabloids criticized their relationship at the time, 16 years later their instagrams and YouTube channel make them one of the most popular couples in Japan to this day. The tabloids try to dig up stuff, but the worst they've found is neighbors complaining their kids are spoiled and too loud. One time tabloids brought up that the couple had arguments - to which they gained more fans by stating the shockingly healthy and mature way they handle their arguments. Their fans are some individual fans, but a lot of fans of their family as a whole.

Yuzu could've gone that route. If you've got nothing to hide, sometimes it's best to not hide it - tabloids live off of hidden secrets. But he didn't, and it made things messy. Maybe he was worried about the fan backlash?
"Stop to tell a lie Yuzu-san."

Vagabond

🤔

This whole thing sounds like the basis of a 1990's Yang Zhimou movie that would have been transposed to China in the 1920's, most likely with Gong Li in the female lead. I have no idea whom he would get to play the parts if he were filming it today.

Last edited:

Willin

"Stop to tell a lie Yuzu-san."
Maybe I'm missing what you're saying, but I didn't say Yuzu had to lie. He could lie about being married or lean into being married. Well, maybe he'd have to lie about being a wife guy. Leaving her locked up in a house with his mom and seemingly being more married to his skating career than her makes being a wife guy unlikely, but...

Once fans got over the marriage, leaning into it wouldn't be a huge deal. Unlike Korea, Japan has changed in the last 10-15 years - in part because of that idol I mentioned. There are now openly married idols and even one who went on maternity leave and returned to being an idol. It doesn't ruin your career as it once did. I dare say Yuzu's fans may even dig a Yuzuru solo show where she played romantic music for him to skate to on her violin.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
@Willin - you're presuming Yuzu is willing to share the spotlight with anyone. I'm not sure there's any evidence to support that notion - certainly nothing about how he has handled his marriage and divorce would indicate that. I mean, there's a reason some people are questioning if the marriage was even real, lol.

justAfsfan

I am aware that I should not find any "enjoyment" from other people's hardship; but this is even more dramatic than keeping up with the Kardashian :watch:.

Anyway, if this is true, hope his ex-wife get the healing she deserves.

Xallie

So am I right in understanding that she and Hanyu married, and then she had to move in with his mother, not go outside and agree to a situation where no one ever finds out they are married?

I can’t imagine a situation where a woman who is 36 and has an independent successful career would find that arrangement appealing.
There was a tabloid article a while ago that said she was disappointed not to have been appointed to authority positions of his various businesses. Her being in it "for the wrong reasons" is a possibility.

Oh also, another tabloid article even before the marriage announcement stated he had bought two apartments making up the top floor of a luxury building. The speculation was that one was for him and the wife, and the other, for his family. So at least, the wife wasn't sleeping in the room right next to her in-laws... (Unless one apartment was a living space and the other, a working space. Many possibilities there.)

The better answer to this would be to a) never announce the marriage in the first place and try to hide anything (as they'd apparently been able to hide their relationship up to that point)
I personally don't believe there was much of a relationship prior to the marriage. She would have known what to expect, and been ready to handle it. Clearly, that wasn't the case.

So, the "guardian" guy spoke on TV for two hours!? I wonder what else he said.

Last edited:

On My Own

There was a tabloid article a while ago that said she was disappointed not to have been appointed to authority positions of his various business.

Oh also, another tabloid article even before the marriage announcement stated he had bought two apartments making up the top floor of a luxury building.
Which tabloids?

On My Own

I'm sorry, I don't remember. The news about the apartments came out in June, I think.
It seems ever more suspicious that there are bits to this that started even before the marriage announcement happened. Maybe he was only being followed because of his celebrity, or maybe there's even more behind the scenes.

exNyer

Hanyu’s threat of suing is most likely directed at his ex-wife and her family. He, his rabid supporters, and most importantly his financial backers will crush this woman in legal court if she and her family continue to speak.
It’s him threatening her.
Nasty, egotistical, delusional, manipulative trump wanabe

On My Own

While I agree his fans are rather Trumpian, I'm not so sure I'd call him Trump apart from the occasional bit of humour. Of course, maybe Bunshun will publish an article about him wanting to run for the Japanese Parliament or something soon, who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information