Your Forehead Slapping Moment(s)

Cachoo

I may be the only one to post in this thread but I just wanted to share my exasperation at my own goofy stupidity. Today I shopped at Aldi for groceries for the first time. I was almost violently trying to separate the grocery carts as I found I could not unhook the chain that held them together when a man came up, stuck a quarter in a slot at the base of the chain, unhooked my cart, smiled and winked at me and said "pay it forward."

I felt like such an idiot.

Do you ever have those DUH! moments?

Angela-Fan

I had a moment at Aldi where I was returning the cart and couldn't figure out how to get my quarter back. I should have just left it, it's only a quarter. But I can get oddly stubborn at random times, and this was one of them.

gkelly

I spent several minutes searching for my keys before leaving for work this morning. Couldn't find them in any compartment in my purse, nor on the two tables or the desk where I'm most likely to have put them down.

I knew they had to be in the apartment somewhere because I must have used them to get in when I came home last night.

Or, as it happened, they could still be in the lock on the outside of the door. :duh:

Last edited:

Susan1

For me, those types of things are a daily occurrence.

Just off the top of my head - I have one pair of regular glasses and four pairs of reading glasses in different rooms. I have to take the regular glasses off to put on the reading glasses (yeah, bifocals made me sick) and I get up to do something (which I usually have forgotten what it was by the time I get there) and don't put my regular glasses on since I'm coming right back, then I can't remember where I left them. I have to go to every room where I might have taken them off. And I also end up with two pairs of reading glasses in one room and none in the place where I am planning to use them.

I spent several minutes searching for my keys
In my apartment awhile back, I used to put my purse (I ALWAYS put my keys right back in my purse wherever I am) on a chair (upholstered - matching couch and love seat) by the door. I came home, did that, changed clothes, ate or whatever and was going back out and my purse felt too light. Where were the keys? I had to use them to drive home and get in the apartment? I did check the lock outside. And inside and under and over everywhere they could have been or couldn't have been. I asked Sadie, but she didn't track them down like Lassie. ha ha An hour later, I finally went to lift up the chair to look under again and heard a rattle. They had fallen INSIDE the chair that I had taken the cushion off of before. I flipped it upside down and fortunately had skinny enough arms to get them out. Then I just stayed home!

FYI - Watch your keys. Many, many years ago, my aunt dropped her keys while putting them in her purse when she got out of the car at the grocery store and didn't notice. Someone stole the car, and it was found the next day after being set on fire. We never knew what they did in between stealing it and burning it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I had two back to back such moments 4-5 years ago.

After shopping at Costco I drove home and found that my purse which is normally on the passenger seat was not there. After loading my purchases I had forgotten to load the purse in the car. It may still be sitting on that cart in the parking lot. I panicked and drove back (cursing all the slow drivers along the way during the 3 mile drive) to see if I had left it on the cart. I checked the carts in the parking lot, but it was not there. Then rushed inside Costco and the gal at the Returns counter asked “Did you forget something?” I said “ my purse!” She said many people have forgotten things today, like cell phones. That made me feel better. I got my purse back, but I had not learned a lesson yet.

A few days later I went grocery shopping at Albertsons and did the exact same thing. I had left my purse on the cart after loading the groceries into the car. This time the return trip was twice as long and my panick even bigger. When I entered the store and told the manager about my forgotten purse she brought it out and all was well.

Losing a purse was terrible. My whole life was in it - credit cards, drivers license, cell phone, ID card for work, and of course cash. I was grateful to the honest people who had turned in the purse on the cart to the store management. Nothing was missing from the purse, either time.

I started wondering if I should get my brain checked by my doctor. My hair stylist had an easier solution. She said always hold on to the purse and load it first in the car. Now I always make sure that at least a part of the strap is around my hand at all times. I make sure that the purse is next to me before I drive off, no matter how rushed I feel.

Susan1

I started wondering if I should get my brain checked by my doctor. My hair stylist had an easier solution. She said always hold on to the purse and load it first in the car. Now I always make sure that at least a part of the strap is around my hand at all times. I make sure that the purse is next to me before I drive off, no matter how rushed I feel.
Off thread subject, but I have to keep my purse on my arm while I am putting groceries in the trunk. You never know who could be walking or driving by that would pluck it right out of the seat. The only time in recent memory that I did not because I was trying to organize things, wouldn't you know a young lady made a beeline across the parking lot aisle toward my cart (not me). I grabbed my purse and she asked me if I knew where the closest YMCA was. (edited to clarify - and I don't mean a YMCA where people stay like in the Village People song. It's just a place with a pool and exercise classes and stuff.) I said no (even though I did - she wasn't in a car and she could have asked me for a ride and killed me).

When I left, I saw her just walking down the next aisle away from the store. Inside stores, I put the strap under the handle and put my wrist through it on top. I don't know how many times I have walked past a cart with a wide open purse sitting in the seat and the owner with her back turned. I even told a lady in Walmart once. You know how wide those aisles are. Her cart with her purse in it was over by the deli meats and she was looking inside one of the end compartments with the doors. Anybody could have just walked up and pushed her cart down another aisle and grabbed the purse.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Off thread subject, but I have to keep my purse on my arm while I am putting groceries in the trunk. You never know who could be walking or driving by that would pluck it right out of the seat. The only time in recent memory that I did not because I was trying to organize things, wouldn't you know a young lady made a beeline across the parking lot aisle toward my cart (not me). I grabbed my purse and she asked me if I knew where the closest YMCA was. (edited to clarify - and I don't mean a YMCA where people stay like in the Village People song. It's just a place with a pool and exercise classes and stuff.) I said no (even though I did - she wasn't in a car and she could have asked me for a ride and killed me).

When I left, I saw her just walking down the next aisle away from the store. Inside stores, I put the strap under the handle and put my wrist through it on top. I don't know how many times I have walked past a cart with a wide open purse sitting in the seat and the owner with her back turned. I even told a lady in Walmart once. You know how wide those aisles are. Her cart with her purse in it was over by the deli meats and she was looking inside one of the end compartments with the doors. Anybody could have just walked up and pushed her cart down another aisle and grabbed the purse.

It never hurts to be extra careful.

Rob

Beach Bum
1. Put nozzle in gas tank; turn on gas; run into the convenience store to get coffee; get back in car and drive off without taking gas nozzle out of gas tank. Yeah.

2. Getting groceries at Walmart; Hang my jacket on the cart with cell phone in pocket; Load groceries into car; Push cart into cart holder in parking lot; Drive off without jacket; Drive home 40 minutes; Drive back 40 minutes; Jacket with cell phone still hanging on cart where I left it. Phew.

Japanfan

I have left my keys in the car or in the trunk lock quite a few times. Looking for my keys and my glasses (I have two pairs) is a regular activity for me.

Perhaps my biggest :duh: is going to a movie theater and once again forgetting to buy tickets in advance for films that were sold out by the time I got there.

Losing a purse was terrible. My whole life was in it - credit cards, drivers license, cell phone, ID card for work, and of course cash. I was grateful to the honest people who had turned in the purse on the cart to the store management. Nothing was missing from the purse, either time.

I have never lost a purse, but did have a purse stolen once (wallet inside), off of a chair in a restaurant. My check book was in my purse, and the person who stole the purse managed to clear my bank account out (about $500.00). The whole thing was rather an ordeal. And the bank manager was just horrible. I'll never forgetting her telling me that the $500. the bank replaced was not coming out of her branch.

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

All right I’ll admit mine - and I hope the Canadian FSUers here aren’t too :rolleyes: or :mad: at me.

I was convinced until my early thirties that the way that they pronounce the city of “Regina” wasn’t real and they were just joking around with us Americans.

There - I posted it. :saint:

myhoneyhoney

A few days ago, I was talking on the phone with Hubby and he asked how my research for our trip was going. Well, I had the Expedia page on my phone with the hotel I decided on. I searched the living room, panicked, and told Hubby I couldn't find my phone.

Yeah, slap forehead big time hahaha

Lizziebeth

I stopped at the Toyota dealership to look at cars. When it was time to leave I discovered I did not have the key to the car we arrived in. Looked in the window and could not see the key in the ignition or on the seat. I had left my purse in the car so I might have put the key in my purse - ya think? So they found a guy to open the door [that did not take long - kind of skary how little time that took] and key was nowhere to be found. The sales guy said 'did you sit in a vehicle?' I had opened the door and sat in one vehicle. He reached in and found the keys on the floor of the one and only car I sat in. I guess they fell out of my pocket :slinkaway :wall:

Susan1

I once walked straight into a glass door, thinking it was open. :shuffle:
Were you on America's Funniest Videos? ha ha
I run into things all the time, but not in public. I was leaving this room one time and went to turn around to see if I turned the computer off and hit my face on the door frame. Gave myself a black eye. I said if I went to the hospital and said "I ran into a door" they would think someone was abusing me. ha ha (not)

I did trip on a handicap ramp at a very busy Speedway one time. I was looking straight ahead and thought I was stepping up on the sidewalk, but it wasn't there. I fell on my hands and knees and everybody came running to help me up. My knees were all bloody. At least I had on shorts and didn't tear my pants.

Which I did in high school. I was getting out of the back seat of my friend's sister's car who drove us to school and tripped over a purse strap. Tore the knees in my pants, one of the few times in four years I did not wear jeans, and she took me home to change and we got back and were not even late for school. My mom was going to write us excuse notes if it looked like we weren't going to make it. Can you imagine. "Susan trippped over a purse strap and tore her pants and Kathy had to take her home to change." A likely story. Geez.

I could probably think of a bunch more over the years.

And while I was in Meijer today, I thought of a :duh: that is also even purse-adjacent. I use the short carts in there for just a few things. And the self-checkouts with the long belts so I don't have to put stuff in bags as I go and then have the machine yell at me if I take them out too soon or don't pick them up fast enough while I am putting my wallet away at Kroger. So.............TWICE I have gotten TO THE CAR and realized that my 2 liter bottle of pop was under my purse that was in the little seat. When I go through a cashiered line, I take my purse out of the seat and put it up on the counter so somebody would see if I left something in the cart. Generic Dr. Pepper - what, 79 cents? - and I finished putting my groceries in the trunk and took it back in and paid for it. I couldn't even accidentally steal it. I had to go by the person who watches over the self-checkouts and tell her why I was going the wrong way with an item, and she was surprised that I came back (both times). Who would have known. It's not like you put everything in bags. Although, I do at Meijer because I use their bags for indoor trash can liners. Now I make sure I put anything big under the "purse seat" or turn things out longways so I can see them around my purse.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Well, I never dreamed this would happen in a million years, but it did. Several years ago, I went to my family's home in Logansport for Halloween. It was on a Saturday, and I was able to spend the weekend there to help pass out candy. We also had a Halloween party with hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.

When I first got there, my dad handed me a huge bag of candy and said Happy Halloween. I was sort of confused, and my stepmom was laughing so hard that she had tears in her eyes. Then I realized why when I suddenly noticed about 20 huge bags of Halloween candy on the counter.

My dad had been in Walmart, and was using one of the scooters. He suddenly ran into the shelf of Halloween candy as he was going down the isle where it was located at. He hit the shelf pretty hard, and all the bags of Halloween candy fell into the basket of the scooter.

He was so embarrassed when it happened, so he didn't put all the candy back on the shelf. He bought 75 dollars worth of Halloween candy that day. He was giving away the candy to everyone that showed up for the Halloween party in order to get rid of it!

I never dreamed this would happen, but I ended up doing the same thing when I was at Walmart a few days ago. I went down the isle, and rammed the shelf with Halloween candy on it. Several bags of candy fell into the basket of the scooter, and I was also too embarrassed to put the candy back. I ended up with close to 40 dollars worth of Halloween candy. I guess I'll be giving it away, too, when I go to my stepmom's home in Logansport for Halloween!

I learned a valuable lesson. Never laugh at someone when something like that happens because the same thing can happen to you! Those darn scooters! :rofl:

jobelle

I wear contacts and the prescriptions are slightly different for each eye. Once in the midst of my masters degree (so lots of reading and computer screens) I complained for days that my eyesight had suddenly taken a turn for the worse. It was driving me crazy! 4 or 5 days into this I changed out my contacts for a new pair -- suddenly I could see normally again. My contacts had gotten switched somehow and it didn't even occur to me to check that!

One time i also put both contacts into the same eye - but I think that one occurred in the midst of new baby sleep deprivation.

Susan1

I wear contacts and the prescriptions are slightly different for each eye. Once in the midst of my masters degree (so lots of reading and computer screens) I complained for days that my eyesight had suddenly taken a turn for the worse. It was driving me crazy! 4 or 5 days into this I changed out my contacts for a new pair -- suddenly I could see normally again. My contacts had gotten switched somehow and it didn't even occur to me to check that!

One time i also put both contacts into the same eye - but I think that one occurred in the midst of new baby sleep deprivation.
Notice I have a "me too" for everything? Sad, isn't it!
I always used to put my contacts in at the end of my dining room table and wipe up any contact fluid drops off the placemat. (You see where this is going, huh?) I was in a hurry one morning to get to the hospital when my mom was in the ICU in 1999, and put them in and went to get dressed and put makeup on and everything and left. I was halfway down the street and realized I couldn't see out of one eye. (I always was able to do things around the house without them, but not driving.) I felt my eye and there was nothing there. I went back home and looked in the contact case. Nothing. The placemat. Nothing. The floor. Nothing. Sadie said she didn't eat it. ha ha And then the trash. There it was all mangled in the paper towel I used to wipe the drops up with. I must have dropped it on the way to my eye and not even noticed. Geez.

So...........I called my eye doctor's office and told them what happened. She said "do you want to order another one?". No, you idiot I just thought I would call and let you know before I go to the hospital. (Not.) So she ordered it. I had to wear old my glasses for a couple days. This was before they came in multi-packs.

Cachoo

That was cute!

I struggle all the time with carts that are stuck together. I wouldn't have expected having to put a quarter in.

I was surprised. The carts were outside but I'm not sure why they use the refundable quarter. Do that many people steal carts? It reminded me of the time we drank cola from glass bottles and returned them to get our deposit back. And then came plastic....

Thanks for sharing your moments: I am glad I'm not alone. ☺

Susan1

I was surprised. The carts were outside but I'm not sure why they use the refundable quarter. Do that many people steal carts? It reminded me of the time we drank cola from glass bottles and returned them to get our deposit back. And then came plastic....

Thanks for sharing your moments: I am glad I'm not alone. ☺
I've never been to Aldi (or I would have been a person who wouldn't know how to get the cart loose; I have trouble getting them unstuck inside regular stores sometimes! ;)), but I thought it was so people wouldn't leave them in the parking lot? It's a lot of trouble to take them back just to get a quarter though. Do they have cart corrals in the parking lot at all? It's not like everybody at Kroger or Meijer or Walmart uses those either. And anybody who would steal a grocery cart wouldn't miss their quarter anyway.

Lizziebeth

My first time at Aldi's, someone gave me their cart when they were leaving. Next time I went there I tried taking one from the cart rack, not realizing that you had to pay.

Of course, I did not have a quarter. I just use my reusable bags when I go there.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I just had one of these moments. It’s not like I have not burned food before, but it was more like burning spinach, for example. This time it was in a pressure cooker. I turned it on, then I went upstairs to watch FS on my computer. When I came downstairs I got this strong burning smell. Steam was coming out of the pressure cooker, and it took a lot of effort to contain the steam on the cooking range. One dish was about 90 percent cooked, the other was burned but was salvaged by adding water. I cooked both in the microwave after adding water. Will see they taste.

Cachoo

I've never been to Aldi (or I would have been a person who wouldn't know how to get the cart loose; I have trouble getting them unstuck inside regular stores sometimes! ;)), but I thought it was so people wouldn't leave them in the parking lot? It's a lot of trouble to take them back just to get a quarter though. Do they have cart corrals in the parking lot at all? It's not like everybody at Kroger or Meijer or Walmart uses those either. And anybody who would steal a grocery cart wouldn't miss their quarter anyway.

They did not have corrals at this particular store. I like the suggestion of just using the reusable bags. At any rate there are too many bargains there cart or no cart. I'd drag a little, red wagon if carts and bags disappeared.

Susan1

Not "my" anything - there just wasn't an appropriate thread to share this on. The comments underneath are funnier than the story -

So, anyway, today, I accidentally hit the "4" on the microwave instead of the "1" and noticed at about a minute and 15 seconds!
I was pushing my hair back and knocked my earring out and spent five minutes on the kitchen floor looking for the back.
I sat on my glasses when I was changing clothes and had to run over to the eye doctor to get them straightened.
Hit a full glass on the "roof" of the microwave opening and spilled liquid all over it and the counter. First one since I got the new microwave almost a year ago.

That's pretty much what most of my days are like. And going to bed with the covers over my head won't help. I slept off and on from 7:45 p.m. (fell asleep during commercial before Double Jeopardy - got off the couch at some point and brushed my teeth and went to bed. I think it was around 12:30 a.m. that I woke up and turned the bedroom t.v. off) till 5 this morning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information