What song are you listening to?

PeterG

Nick Kamen - Each Time You Break My Heart - 1986

Kamen passed away yesterday after a long fought battle with bone marrow cancer. He was a protégé of Madonna's, who co-wrote the above song. He released five albums between 1987 and 1992. He was first successful as a model, most famously for this Levi's commercial:

PeterG

Last year, Neil Diamond released an album of some of his classic songs recorded with The London Symphony Orchestra. The album is called Classic Diamonds and two songs stand out:

I'm A Believer - This is slowed down a lot, so instead of a boppy pop song it becomes an inspiring love anthem. This new version is so good!

You Don't Bring Me Flowers

I first heard Streisand's version of this song and I think as a teen, I heard a duet version on a Portland, Oregon radio station (which I mentioned because I thought it was wild that I could get find this station at night on my transistor radio from Vancouver, Canada). But the duet was one spliced together by a radio DJ of Diamond's and Streisand's solo versions. This spliced version became so popular, people were clamoring for a version to buy. It appears that the two singes agreed for this version to be released as a single, but their record company (Columbia) wanted the two singers to record a live version in the studio. Which went on to become a #1 worldwide hit.

More info about this whole story at wikipedia. Learned some new stuff about the story, might make for a good movie!

Anyway, this new version by Diamond with the London Symphony Orchestra made me cry (a lot). So wanted to share both of these songs with you. :D

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Most of All - my favorite BJ Thomas album from when I was a kid:

And a remake with Vince Gill of I Just Can't Help Believin' -

RIP BJ Thomas. Sha-na-na-na-na-na-na-na, It will be alright ...

Last edited:

PeterG

B.J. Thomas had such a wonderful, soothing voice. Kind of like the male equivalent of Karen Carpenter. My favourite song of his:

Whatever Happened To Old-Fashioned Love

I thought this song did well on country radio and crossed over to pop radio as well. But while it hit #13 on the country charts, it only went to #93 on the pop charts. Maybe I thought it was a bigger pop hit because it went to #1 here in Canada (but on the country charts).

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Came across another old record that my mom and dad loved to dance the Jitterbug to (Shake, Rattle and Roll). I remember I was around 5 years old, and loved to watch them dance. The year was 1963 and we had an RCA Victor turntable/record player. My parent's friends would come over on the weekends and dance the night away! :rockstar::lol:

Shake, Rattle and Roll - Bill Haley & The Comets

They also danced to Bill Black's Combo and Ace Cannon:

Ole Buttermilk Sky - Bill Blacks' Combo

Yakety Sax Ace Cannon

PeterG

Bernadette Peters - Don't

The most famous version of this song is by Elvis Presley, a giant hit for him with his recording being the third biggest hit song of 1958 according to Billboard. But Peters' version is even better. Just her voice and an acoustic guitar, with the tempo slowed down even more than the original. Simply gorgeous.

PeterG

Chic - Give Me the Lovin'

Classic Chic from 1983, this song was ignored by pop radio and even the dance charts, only R & B radio played it, and the song only made it to #57 on that chart. But to me, if this had been released after Good Times or Le Freak, it would have charted much better. Unfortunately, 1983 was firmly in the era of "disco sucks" and by then, this song (and Chic) never stood a chance.

Rina RUS

Muslim Magomayev is a great singer, but recent years I heard his songs not often. Today I suddenly saw a video with his song and decided to watch it. His voice is fantastically strong! It seems to me this song is so filled with love, that one doesn’t even need to understand the lyrics. :)
The song is called “The Best City on Earth”

You can also hear Magomayev sing “My Way” (in English), if you’d like to

Rina RUS

Just hoping it can make somebody smile :)

Her name is Pelageya.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information