What’s your 1994 Olympics ice dance and pairs results?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
OK I’m just gonna keep this real 1994 messed up in so many of the disciplines including ladies, but we’ve discussed that to death, including the Olympic judge that did not “see” Nancy Kerrigan’s triple triple combination.

But I also saw dance and pairs differently than the results, did you?

Ice Dance
1. Torvill and Dean
2. Usova and Zhulin
3. Rahkamo and Kokko

Sorry G and P

Pairs
1. Mishkutonok and Dmitriev. No contest
2. G and G
3. Brasseur and Eisler (although maybe even second)

If Mandy and Ingo had finished the free skate, I wonder if I would have them in third

Sidenote, I know almost nothing about Todd Reynolds and Karen Courtland. How long were they together for?

Yuri

Wow, so much Grishuk & Platov (G/P) hate to post on the 30th anniversary (February 21, 1994) of their Gold-medal winning free dance in Lillehammer that they didn't even belong on the podium, especially finishing behind Rahkamo & Kokko (R/K) who fell on their @sses during their FD! I was thinking about posting a tribute to G&P today, but for now I will post an HD version of their FD:

R/K took exactly ONE ordinal from G/P in the entire competition in the Original Dance and that's likely due to some monkey business by a single judge. R/K came a single judge away from dropping to 5th place behind Moniotte & Lavanchy (M/L) after their disastrous fall in the FD. What competition were you watching?

I will summarize the ordinals (totaling them up) from each element of the ice dancing competition below:

CD 1 (10%): U/Z 14, G/P 15, T/D 27, R/K 35, M/L 43
CD 2 (10%): G/P 13, U/Z 16, T/D 27, R/K 38/ M/L 43
OD (30%): T/D 10, U/Z 20, G/P 25, R/K 35, M/L 45
FD (50%): G/P 16, U/Z 15, T/D 23, R/K 40, M/L 41

In the two compulsories, almost every judge had either Usova & Zhulin (U/Z) or G/P in 1st and 2nd, and Torvill & Dean (T/D) likely received a gift to place 3rd in both of them to stay in contention for the gold. T/D completely dominated the OD winning 8 of the 9 judges, while U/Z took 2nd over G/P by a 6-3 margin. In the FD, the ordinals were mixed with 1st place being G/P 5, U/Z 3, and T/D 1, resulting in G/P defeating U/Z 5-4 and T/D 6-3 head-to-head (HTH).

U/Z actually defeated T/D 8-1 in the FD, a wider margin than G/P did! It's strange how CBS and Tracy Wilson never focused on why 8 of the 9 judges placed U/Z over T/D, as there's no way T/D could win the gold without beating BOTH Russian couples. Yet G/P got all of the hate from CBS, the fans, and the general public...

I personally congratulated my great friends Oksana and Evgeny today, so please forgive me for being a bit testy on this topic.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

personally congratulated my great friends Oksana and Evgeny today, so please forgive me for being a bit testy on this topic.

Yeah, you’re being a bit drama here. When you talk about hate? You need to check yourself… a strong words like that. heard about the Torvill and dean Farewell tour I started watching videos of them yesterday. I don’t think anyone’s following the specific date of the anniversary of who won a medal.

Yeah, I watched the programs and politics especially in dance and that country definitely falls in to play, especially that time Period.

you summarized what the judges scores are, that’s obvious. The purpose of the thread like the other one is if you were to score it. Torvill and dean had no politics behind them in 94, nothing by then. I don’t even have a horse in the rice cause dance is my least favorite discipline, and I think Torvill and dean had that sewn up. It’s a shame they did not win again.

You can even tell by the expressions in the kiss and cry, that the judging was somewhat of a joke. And I concur.

This is also the era where judges of those time periods were tip tapping their toes to signal to other judges who they are scoring for first, second and third.

Threads like this are supposed to be you know 65% fun, and posts like yours kind of ruin it. you know what I’m saying?

Last edited:

Debbie S

Torvill and Dean should have won the OGM in 1994. In pairs, I think the right team (G/G) won. Yes, they had some minor jump errors but in 1994, the judging system didn't heavily penalize that, at least in the FS. Their pair elements, choreo and skating skills were stronger than M/D. Had it been judged under IJS, the doubling/singling of jumps would have really hurt G/G, but under the 6.0 system, they were the correct winners.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
AngieNikodinovLove said:
OK I’m just gonna keep this real 1994 messed up in so many of the disciplines including ladies, but we’ve discussed that to death, including the Olympic judge that did not “see” Nancy Kerrigan’s triple triple combination.

Maybe that judge was blind or crosseyed. I don't know, but Nancy successfully completed that triple triple in the beginning at 1:14 in her free skate. And it was a beautiful triple triple.

bardtoob

Maybe that judge was blind or crosseyed. I don't know, but Nancy successfully completed that triple triple in the beginning at 1:14 in her free skate. And it was a beautiful triple triple.

That judge, the first skater to land a 3Lz at the Olympics, was jaded by his own Olympic experience, where he had the highest total points but didn't win, and perpetuated it.

Last edited:

Simone411

That judge, the first skater to land a 3Lz at the Olympics, was jaded by his own Olympic experience, where he had the highest total points but didn't win, and perpetuated it.

Wow. His total score was 189.72 and Cousins won with a score of 189.48. Still, he shouldn't have jaded Nancy because of his experience. That's not right, but that's how it went down in history, and I don't guess we can change it.

caseyedwards

G/P brought the HOUSE DOWN!!! They rocked it!! Literally. Did they violate rules? Apparently. Were they penalized when T/D were? No.

gkelly

Wait, how was that possible?
Factored placements.

AFAIK, at that time point totals were used as tiebreakers (hence their listing in the results) but were not the first thing looked at in determining results of each competition phase or in determining combined results from all phases of the overall event.

I do know that the details of the scoring changed at the 1980 ISU Congress to the factored placement system we were familiar with through the rest of the 80s through 2004 (with the elimination of school figures partway through that time).

caseyedwards

Because that accept of the scores didn’t matter. It was all about total places.
Yes! Placement was king!!
There is also this

RankNameNationSPFSPointsPlaces
Irina Rodnina / Alexander Zaitsev
22px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png
Soviet Union
Marina Cherkasova / Sergei Shakhrai
22px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png
Soviet Union
You can see how it didn’t matter that when it came to points Soviet Union swept pairs in 1980

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
Grishuk and Platov were fast, fresh, and fun. Usova and Zhulin learned the same hard lesson that many others, past and present, have: playing it safe in the Olympic year usually results in a silver or bronze medal. This was their worst free dance by far. Rahkamo and Kokko pulled off Nino Rota better. Not sure it was age, marital problems, chain smoking, or what, but U&Z also seemed sluggish to me that whole season.

I'm in the camp that liked Torvill and Dean's Olympic free dance better than the Europeans version (the consensus seems to be the opposite), but pieces did look sloppier than usual. The program was also very reliant on "tricks." Maybe T&D were victims of their own success, as this free dance just didn't compare to either their spectacular OD or any other free dance they had done.

In pairs, the competition was very well skated, and all of the pairs in the top five were amazing. Even some further down the pack were quite good. I actually think M&D (and not G&G) would've been hurt by Code of Points. They would have struggled to gain points on lifts in particular. To me, M&D's problem had a rare combination of wild creativity, even wilder drama, miraculous luck, and brilliant musical interpretation. I'd have thrown the rulebook out the window and give them a 6.0 for presentation. I understand why G&G won, but M&D's free is on my list of top 5 all time programs, one I'd take with me on a desert island.

Former Lurve Goddess

Wow, so much Grishuk & Platov (G/P) hate to post on the 30th anniversary (February 21, 1994) of their Gold-medal winning free dance in Lillehammer that they didn't even belong on the podium, especially finishing behind Rahkamo & Kokko (R/K) who fell on their @sses during their FD! I was thinking about posting a tribute to G&P today, but for now I will post an HD version of their FD:

R/K took exactly ONE ordinal from G/P in the entire competition in the Original Dance and that's likely due to some monkey business by a single judge. R/K came a single judge away from dropping to 5th place behind Moniotte & Lavanchy (M/L) after their disastrous fall in the FD. What competition were you watching?

I will summarize the ordinals (totaling them up) from each element of the ice dancing competition below:

CD 1 (10%): U/Z 14, G/P 15, T/D 27, R/K 35, M/L 43
CD 2 (10%): G/P 13, U/Z 16, T/D 27, R/K 38/ M/L 43
OD (30%): T/D 10, U/Z 20, G/P 25, R/K 35, M/L 45
FD (50%): G/P 16, U/Z 15, T/D 23, R/K 40, M/L 41

In the two compulsories, almost every judge had either Usova & Zhulin (U/Z) or G/P in 1st and 2nd, and Torvill & Dean (T/D) likely received a gift to place 3rd in both of them to stay in contention for the gold. T/D completely dominated the OD winning 8 of the 9 judges, while U/Z took 2nd over G/P by a 6-3 margin. In the FD, the ordinals were mixed with 1st place being G/P 5, U/Z 3, and T/D 1, resulting in G/P defeating U/Z 5-4 and T/D 6-3 head-to-head (HTH).

U/Z actually defeated T/D 8-1 in the FD, a wider margin than G/P did! It's strange how CBS and Tracy Wilson never focused on why 8 of the 9 judges placed U/Z over T/D, as there's no way T/D could win the gold without beating BOTH Russian couples. Yet G/P got all of the hate from CBS, the fans, and the general
Big love for G & P from me! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Torvill and Dean should have won the OGM in 1994. In pairs, I think the right team (G/G) won. Yes, they had some minor jump errors but in 1994, the judging system didn't heavily penalize that, at least in the FS. Their pair elements, choreo and skating skills were stronger than M/D. Had it been judged under IJS, the doubling/singling of jumps would have really hurt G/G, but under the 6.0 system, they were the correct winners.

I disagree with you about Pairs but totally respect what you say

Simone411

ITA that Torvil & Dean should have won gold in 1994.

When I watched them perform Bolero as a tribute to Sarajevo, they were just as amazing during that exhibition as they were ten years before.

Torvil and Dean's OGM performance to Bolero in 1984. ETA that this was the last time my mom and I watched the Olympics together, and she couldn't believe how amazing they were. :love:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Grishuk and Platov were fast, fresh, and fun. Usova and Zhulin learned the same hard lesson that many others, past and present, have: playing it safe in the Olympic year usually results in a silver or bronze medal. This was their worst free dance by far. Rahkamo and Kokko pulled off Nino Rota better. Not sure it was age, marital problems, chain smoking, or what, but U&Z also seemed sluggish to me that whole season.

I'm in the camp that liked Torvill and Dean's Olympic free dance better than the Europeans version (the consensus seems to be the opposite), but pieces did look sloppier than usual. The program was also very reliant on "tricks." Maybe T&D were victims of their own success, as this free dance just didn't compare to either their spectacular OD or any other free dance they had done.

In pairs, the competition was very well skated, and all of the pairs in the top five were amazing. Even some further down the pack were quite good. I actually think M&D (and not G&G) would've been hurt by Code of Points. They would have struggled to gain points on lifts in particular. To me, M&D's problem had a rare combination of wild creativity, even wilder drama, miraculous luck, and brilliant musical interpretation. I'd have thrown the rulebook out the window and give them a 6.0 for presentation. I understand why G&G won, but M&D's free is on my list of top 5 all time programs, one I'd take with me on a desert island.
There’s more creative choreo in that one program than in ten free programs this year.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

If Mandy and Ingo had not had that freak fall does anybody think they could’ve placed on the podium?

The Basic instinct program was interesting

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
If Mandy and Ingo had not had that freak fall does anybody think they could’ve placed on the podium?

The Basic instinct program was interesting

Woetzel and Steuer took themselves out of medal contention on her double axel (a common issue!) in the short program. They ended up 8th because the competition was so well skated. I did love their Rain Man short program, complete with green velour bodysuits.

In the free skate, they had more errors prior to the fall. I'm not sure they would have moved up more than a place, if at all, given how well the rest of the competition was skated.

Even in a hypothetical case with two completely clean programs, I think they would have been fifth behind four essentially clean programs from G&G, M&D, B&E, and Shishkova and Naumov. The higher tech content would've probably kept them ahead of Meno and Sand.

Judges always ran hot and cold on Woetzel and Steuer. They were very hot on them as a new team in 1993 (the world silver was a bit generous if you ask me!) and then again in 1995 and 1997. But they were cold toward them in 1994 and 1998. 1996 ended up being a crazy ordinal situation for everyone.

Former Lurve Goddess

The G&G versus M&D battle was one of those events where a judge would be correct in awarding either team the gold.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Sorry, after watching that FD I stand by my 1994 opinion that U/Z were robbed. So much standing and posing. So little unison. Meh.

Same. I didn't love U&Z's program that year but I've always thought they were robbed of gold.

Woetzel and Steuer took themselves out of medal contention on her double axel (a common issue!) in the short program. They ended up 8th because the competition was so well skated. I did love their Rain Man short program, complete with green velour bodysuits.
That Rain Man program is still one of my favourite pairs SPs of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information