What’s your 1994 Olympics ice dance and pairs results?

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
What I noticed during Torvil & Dean's performance to Bolero at the 1984 Olympics were cameras flashing. It apparently didn't distract in any way of Torvil and Dean winning that OGM. Of course, there were no laptops, iPads or camera phones back then, either.

But I also know that those flashing cameras, especially if there were several people taking pictures at the same time, were a distraction to the skaters because some of the skaters were temporarily blinded by all those cameras flashing at the same time. It actually could have made a huge difference between someone winning a gold or silver medal or not even making it on the podium.

Eventually, those cameras were banned. And now there's tons of restrictions of what people can bring to any competition. I was amazed after reading all the restrictions at the present time.

Taso

What I noticed during Torvil & Dean's performance to Bolero at the 1984 Olympics were cameras flashing. It apparently didn't distract in any way of Torvil and Dean winning that OGM. Of course, there were no laptops, iPads or camera phones back then, either.

But I also know that those flashing cameras, especially if there were several people taking pictures at the same time, were a distraction to the skaters because some of the skaters were temporarily blinded by all those cameras flashing at the same time. It actually could have made a huge difference between someone winning a gold or silver medal or not even making it on the podium.

Eventually, those cameras were banned. And now there's tons of restrictions of what people can bring to any competition. I was amazed after reading all the restrictions at the present time.
This puts some mistakes from that era into such a different context for me, even in that event. I mean, little slips happen, but a lot of top dance teams had them in that competition - K&P in the CD, B&S in the OSP, B&B in the FD. Not that there is a way to know other than to ask them and them remember :lol:, but gosh, how many mistakes especially at the Olympics, right, may have been a part of this!

Simone411

This puts some mistakes from that era into such a different context for me, even in that event. I mean, little slips happen, but a lot of top dance teams had them in that competition - K&P in the CD, B&S in the OSP, B&B in the FD. Not that there is a way to know other than to ask them and them remember :lol:, but gosh, how many mistakes especially at the Olympics, right, may have been a part of this!
ITA. That, too, would have added to the equation! :lol:

Yuri

In honor of their 30th anniversary of G/P winning their first Olympic gold medal, I pulled out my old VHS tapes of the CBS coverage and watched the CDs (such lousy coverage, just showing the top 3 and Punsalan & Swallow), the Rhumba OD, and the free dances. As an initial matter, I simply loved that era of ice dancing and T/D, G/P, and U/Z are all among my all-time favorite dancers. Going into the Olympics, I was pulling for T/D based upon memories of the absolute magic of Bolero in Sarajevo in 1984 but was concerned that their basic skating would be rusty in comparison to the top two Russian couples. I had much preferred G/P over U/Z at 1993 Worlds and really had enjoyed their Rock & Roll routine that stunned the world at Europeans in Copenhagen, so I definitely had my eyes on them (I wouldn't meet them for another six months when they relocated to the USA at the University of Delaware). Some may recall the unusual ordinals situation at Europeans, where U/Z initially defeated T/D in the free dance to move into gold medal position--only to have G/P not only dominate the FD, but scramble the ordinals to flip-flop T/D and U/Z in the FD and overall to make the finish T/D Gold, G/P Silver, and U/Z Bronze.

Personally, I thought T/D panicked and made a strategic error when they re-choreographed 80% of their FD despite ultimately edging out U/Z in the FD and winning gold at Europeans. Maybe they should have added a trick here or there, or increased some difficulty in their footwork, but they simply didn't have time to present a polished, confident program at the Olympics with so little prep time. I guess that was caused by Christopher Dean's ego. As Gracie Gold mentioned in her book, at some point you need to stop changing your program and allow "muscle memory" to take over. Instead, T/D put on a "Greatest Hits" program stealing from past programs, clearly going for the audience more than the judges at the Olympics. I saw little of Dean's genius in their revamped FD that I loved in T/D's old programs or even the innovative choreography for the Duchesnays. While I thought U/Z skated had their all-time worst FD program in theme/choreography and really slowed down at the end, I agreed 100% with the judges when they placed T/D below them in the FD because U/Z were still quite clean with great edges and acrobatic lifts.

Those who were in the arena state the G/P ran laps around both U/Z and T/D in speed and deep edges, ultimately the decisive factor in the competition. It's hard to argue that G/P accelerated the transition of ice dancing to an athletic competition, complete with their separated, side-by-side twizzle sequences that eventually have become required elements in today's ice dancing. So much for criticizing G/P by saying top teams shouldn't need to separate to do difficult footwork, Tracy!--the ISU disagreed and made such moves required elements! As T/D did with Bolero, admittedly G/P at times stretched the rules beyond recognition and 5 of the 9 judges rewarded them for it over U/Z. It's unfortunate that the old 6.0 system boxed in the judges at an Olympics with 21 couples, so there was too much talk about whether T/D and G/P had their scores reduced by illegal moves. G/P winning about 23 consecutive competitions (including Pro/Ams) over the next four years helps to justify their legacy as a great couple, being the first to win two OGMs in ice dancing with the fabulous Virtue & Moir being the only other dancers to match that feat.

I am not discussing pairs other than saying Gordeeva/Grinkov became and remained my all-time favorite team with their two OGMs in 1988 and 1994. But I still have tons of respect for Artur Dmitriev winning two OGMs with different partners!

As an aside, I can tell you first hand that it's pretty cool to hold and wear an Olympic gold medal. Or two. Not to mention World gold medals. Or getting a first person play-by-play account of Lillehammer years later while watching an old tape. Just saying...

Last edited:

Simone411

@Yuri, thank you for sharing with us. It's definitely an accomplishment you should be proud of since you know first hand. I'm afraid I don't have the experience of winning an OGM. However, I do know how it feels to win second place and a trophy in another sport.

That was in 1984. It had been brought up before about adding the sport to the Summer Olympics, but disappointedly, the sport wasn't accepted by the Olympic Committee. I would have qualified to be on the Olympic team. But needless to say, it does feel pretty cool to have that 2nd place trophy.

Yuri

@Yuri, thank you for sharing with us. It's definitely an accomplishment you should be proud of since you know first hand. I'm afraid I don't have the experience of winning an OGM. However, I do know how it feels to win second place and a trophy in another sport.
No, I haven't won an OGM myself! I have only been able to "borrow" them for a little while from :GnP1:

VGThuy

Not sure it was age, marital problems, chain smoking, or what, but U&Z also seemed sluggish to me that whole season.
I think it was a lot of factors that you’ve listed, but I also think the biggest contributing factor was that their Nino Rota FD actually pushed U/Z technically. They attempted more ice dance-related content and difficulty than their past FDs, and it showed with how they couldn’t execute it the way they were able to execute their more eye-catching, theatrical, and interesting FDs, all of which had more two-foot skating, separations, and posing where they ran across the ice on flats more.

U/Z were always kind of slow but they were able to hide it better with more theatrical and empty programs that were light on the actual holds and footwork. The ISU pushing the back-to-basics approach after the 1991-92 season where they demanded ice dance teams to emphasize close holds and footwork and actual skating turns/steps hurt U/Z. They got away with it at first with their “Blues for Klook” FD, but if you pay attention to the content of that dance, there wasn’t much going on with their blades.

That’s why I didn’t get why they were being picked by Dubova over her other students Klimova/Ponomarenko by 1991-ish because K/P always had like at least twice the difficulty and skills Usova/Zhulin had, who themselves were capable of more technical content and had a stronger grasp on their basics and skating skills than the Duchesnays. That said, I get why the latter two captured the skating fans’ attention over K/P in 1991 with the Duchesnays having the skate of 1990 Worlds.

Re: 1990 Worlds FD, I agree with Sandra Bezic who said the Duchesnays out performed Klimova/Ponomarenko but they did not out skate them. She, Toller, and other skaters turned commentators made sure to emphasize the sheer difficulty and high level of skill and intricacy that they were putting out there on the ice during their Dubova years and those skaters turned commentators held K/P to a higher level of respect and loved them more than the fans did, which is a shame IMO.

It is funny that K/P had to decrease their difficulty by some way, add many more lifts, and become dramatic to win the OGM. Their compulsories actually got a bit worse under Tarasova.

Last edited:

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
[U&Z] got away with it at first with their “Blues for Klook” FD, but if you pay attention to the content of that dance, there wasn’t much going on with their blades.

I agree with your entire analysis. There were warning signs for Usova and Zhulin even then: Krylova and Federov(!) had two first-place ordinals over U&Z at 1993 Worlds.

canbelto

I personally would have put M&D over G&G. M&D had the skate of their lives, while G&G had an unusually sloppy skate. But I can understand why the judges went with G&G.

I felt bad for Sergei. He looked so upset in the K&C and on the podium. He wasn't happy with his performance, and you could tell. Considering what happened to him I really wish he had enjoyed his second OGM.

briancoogaert

I wouldn't change anything. Even though I admit Shishkova&Naoumov skated better than Brasseur&Eisler, so, a bronze for them wouldn't have been a problem !

Fadeevfanboy

The dance is a hot mess since the top 3 were all very good, but all had clear weaknesses/issues, and none had as strong of programs as they usually do so I have no idea what to do.

The pairs is a bit easier.

Dance:

Gold- Usova & Zhulin- I guess I default on them?! Even though their free dance was their most boring and unsuitable ever. They were the only team that didn't break any clear rules which Torvill & Dean (deducted), Gritschuk & Platov (not deducted which was hypocritical of the judges when T&D were, regardless which you think should have placed above) did. And skated a program with more content than they usually do, even if weird, and slow at the end. They also didnt have a clear weakness in any of the round which G&P and T&D both did.

Silver- Gritschuk & Platov- Their original dance was not even a real rhumba and should have placed lower than 3rd for sure. It is a joke they even got 3 2nd place votes in it, and clear the Russian fed was heavily in their corner over U&Z at this point, which is strange since U&Z were the reigning World Champions, and how things usually worked back then. Didn't the Russian judges also place G&P above U&Z in every dance, so yeah that says it all. Anyway their OD alone should have kept them out of gold contention, and given the seperations and the deductions they should have gotten for them, not sure if I even give them silver over T&D or not.

Bronze- Torvill & Dean- Their compulsories were pretty weak and should have been lower than 3rd for sure, and only weren't due to their name, same reason G&P were placed 3rd for their weak non Rhumba Rhumba OD. Not their fault, it is just impossible to come back at nearly 40 after 10 years not training CDs and be that strong in them, at their peak their CDs were immaculate. Their original dance was oustanding and deservedly 1st. Their free dance had rule violations, particularly a big one with the back flip at the end and was too tricksy, I preferred their Europeans FD by far and they were frankly dumb as rocks to change it after WINNING the Europeans. However it was unfair G&P weren't deducted for their seperations and T&D were deducted.

So yeah that is it I guess, but all 3 were kind of silver/bronze level at this competition, none really skated at gold level here.

As for pairs:

Gordeeva & Grinkov- I give it to them partly since they had such a dominant season as well, and even if they were a bit off in the free skate, frankly they were still the best team here.

Miskuteniok & Dmitriev- I think part of the reason the judges didn't give them gold is they had such a subpar season, losing to Shishkova & Naumov at Europeans and nearly finishing 3rd behind S&N at their own Nationals too, and winning the pre Olympic event with a subpar performance only since Brasseur & Eisler bombed. That they did not feel you should be able to just sweep in, skate great at one competition, and win after not delivering all season. Which I kind of agree with. Plus they had small mistakes too, including a big stumble on their footwork sequence in the free skate. The fact 2 judges even had them behind Brasseur & Eisler (which to be clear I strongly disagreed with, I think Shishkova & Naumov were robbed of the bronze over B&E in fact) and only 1 had them 1st is a clear sign. It is hard to make a strong wuzrobbed case given that.

Shishkova & Naumov- As I said they clearly deserved the bronze over Brasseur & Eisler but lost by 1 judge. Brasseur & Eisler even two footed both throws, or atleast the 2nd one, had no SBS triple toes and not even two 2 SBS double axels like G&G had, and still had 2 2nd place ordinals over M&D. It was clear favortism since they were reigning World Champions and the judges did not want to drop the World Champions off the podium skating even decently. I bet if both reinstated pros aren't here and both skate the same S&N win gold over B&E most likely, but as it was they were the sacrificial lambs. Judges also don't like sweeps, especialy at the Olympics.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I preferred their Europeans FD by far and they were frankly dumb as rocks to change it after WINNING the Europeans

Several of you have mentioned that…. I need to try and go back to watch the European competitions from 94 because I don’t think I ever did. So it was much better there?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
One of the things I disliked about the pairs coverage was how Scott Hamilton went on and on about G&G's fairytale romance and life, and mentioned M&D only to talk about Natalia's weight problems.

Ohhhhh yessss. If I do remember one thing about fluff pieces from 94 outside of Nancy and Tonya, it was Natalia’s what going from 107 pounds all the way to 109 pounds?

Not sure if comments and fluff pieces like that could fly today. Natalia looked great and healthy. And she looks downright amazing and beautiful today.

I mean seriously the only thing that looked different between 92 Natalia and 94 Natalia was cutting her hair short.

canbelto

Ohhhhh yessss. If I do remember one thing about fluff pieces from 94 outside of Nancy and Tonya, it was Natalia’s what going from 107 pounds all the way to 109 pounds?

Not sure if comments and fluff pieces like that could fly today. Natalia looked great and healthy. And she looks downright amazing and beautiful today.

I mean seriously the only thing that looked different between 92 Natalia and 94 Natalia was cutting her hair short.

She looks incredible today.

And her mom sort of resembles Tamara Moskvina.

Meanwhile, Artur does not look great.

VGThuy

[Torvill/Dean’s] free dance had rule violations, particularly a big one with the back flip at the end and was too tricksy, I preferred their Europeans FD by far and they were frankly dumb as rocks to change it after WINNING the Europeans. However it was unfair G&P weren't deducted for their seperations and T&D were deducted.
I think the muted audience reception and the fact that they lost the FD to Grishuk/Platov at Euros made them panic and redo the first 2/3s of their FD to add more show skating and signature moves from their repertoire to get the audience and Olympic tv viewers on their side and had hoped that fanfare would sway the judges back to their side on top of hoping that doing those familiar crowd-pleasing moves would make the judges remember how much they loved many of those moves back in the early 80s and reward them like it was the early 80s… I mean Jayne even went back to her 1980s haircut in-between Euros and the Olympics :lol: .
Several of you have mentioned that…. I need to try and go back to watch the European competitions from 94 because I don’t think I ever did. So it was much better there?
T/D’s program had more ice dance content and substance but it kind of seemed boring for more casual viewers compared to what they were did at the Olympics. Grishuk/Platov had the FD performance of the night IMO, and their skate there was way better than it was at the Olympics.

Former Lurve Goddess

I think the muted audience reception and the fact that they lost the FD to Grishuk/Platov at Euros made them panic and redo the first 2/3s of their FD to add more show skating and signature moves from their repertoire to get the audience and Olympic tv viewers on their side and had hoped that fanfare would sway the judges back to their side on top of hoping that doing those familiar crowd-pleasing moves would make the judges remember how much they loved many of those moves back in the early 80s and reward them like it was the early 80s… I mean Jayne even went back to her 1980s haircut in-between Euros and the Olympics :lol: .

T/D’s program had more ice dance content and substance but it kind of seemed boring for more casual viewers compared to what they were did at the Olympics. Grishuk/Platov had the FD performance of the night IMO, and their skate there was way better than it was at the Olympics.
I remember watching being in a bar that was showing the 94 Euros Ice Dance comp for some reason. One of the friends looked up and realized that T & D were on the screen and said, "What happened to them? They used to be sexy!":D G&P's performance, on the other hand, was unexpectedly stunning.

Fadeevfanboy

Yeah all good points. I guess that they didn't win the Europeans more decisively, or win the actual FD round, was the reason for the change. And they did show signs of thinking they could revert to a return to 84 effects, the haircut change is a good point.

Yes G&P's FD at Europeans was much better than the Olympics IMO. Had they done the same performance as Europeans at the Olympics, which was a messier version, there probably would not have been as much controversy over their win; still some perhaps, but far less.

Fadeevfanboy

OK I’m just gonna keep this real 1994 messed up in so many of the disciplines including ladies, but we’ve discussed that to death, including the Olympic judge that did not “see” Nancy Kerrigan’s triple triple combination.

But I also saw dance and pairs differently than the results, did you?

Ice Dance
1. Torvill and Dean
2. Usova and Zhulin
3. Rahkamo and Kokko

Sorry G and P

Pairs
1. Mishkutonok and Dmitriev. No contest
2. G and G
3. Brasseur and Eisler (although maybe even second)

If Mandy and Ingo had finished the free skate, I wonder if I would have them in third

Sidenote, I know almost nothing about Todd Reynolds and Karen Courtland. How long were they together for?

Just wanted to say I strongly disagree with the idea Rahkamo & Kokko could have ever won bronze. They in fact fell in their free dance, and it was a pretty bad fall, which would end even entertaining the idea for me. It is frankly amazing they stayed ahead of Moniotte & Lavanchy, both overall, and in the free dance itself, with the fall; when at worlds soon after the Games they skated perfectly and lost handily to Moniotte & Lavanchy, even in the original dance portion where M&L had a horrifically bad Rhumba that year and R&K had a very nice Rhumba. Then at Europeans right before the Games M&L finished above R&K in the FD portion even with a fall and big stumble themselves, so the judging between those two was drastically conflicting all season long. The judging of ice dance all that season was strange, and a bit confusing, but in a good way, as it is often boringly predictable, and this whole season it was anything but.

I remember at worlds later that season, CBC mentioning there were 3 ties in the top 11 before Bourne & Kraatz's skate at the end of the 2nd compulsory dance, and after they skated they would be part of a 3 way tie as one of those 3 ties. Super unusual.

VGThuy

Yeah all good points. I guess that they didn't win the Europeans more decisively, or win the actual FD round, was the reason for the change. And they did show signs of thinking they could revert to a return to 84 effects, the haircut change is a good point.

Yes G&P's FD at Europeans was much better than the Olympics IMO. Had they done the same performance as Europeans at the Olympics, which was a messier version, there probably would not have been as much controversy over their win; still some perhaps, but far less.
Your posts inspired me to rewatch 1994 Euros, and I had forgotten that Torvill/Dean placed behind Usova/Zhulin in the FD initially, and were second there and overall before Grishuk/Platov skated. The looks on their faces in the KnC as they saw themselves ranked second said everything … and you know placing second was not something they were used to as they went four seasons in a row undefeated last time they had competed.

So when G/P flipped the results around and T/D somehow ended up first but not only still losing the FD but needing G/P’s help to make them not place third in the FD, I can see how that messed with their heads. Their Euros win must have felt hollow.

alj5

I had Torvill & Dean in first, followed by Grishuk & Platov, and Usova & Zhulin.

For pairs, I had it the same way the judges did.
Up against any other team, M&D's free skate would have come out on top. But for me, G&G's unison and pair-ness are unmatched. Coupled with the Beethoven choreography, they would have had to make more mistakes for M&D to beat them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information