UPDATED: Jason Brown to Brian Orser (official)

skatfan

ok....I kept missing him on the practices at SCI- (I was watching livestreaming). When I said practices I meant training home at the rink...not at the competition.

Yes, now I understand. When you are not landing anything on the competition practices, I have to think that the at-home rate isn't very good. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm guessing.

CaliSteve

Tracy expected him to do the quad in the long.. She said when commentating ,,,here comes his quad whatever.....which he doubled. If it was not fairly consistent in practice they would not have put it in the program yet.

I love Jason, but I didnt think he would the quad early in the season. Its too early and he needs to stabilize his triples.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yes, now I understand. When you are not landing anything on the competition practices, I have to think that the at-home rate isn't very good. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm guessing.
It just depends. Some skaters get tense at the competition even at the practice sessions and their jumps go to pot.

My theory is that Brian wants him to get used to doing these jumps in front of a large audience as part of working his way up to doing them in competition. Doing jumps at a practice session at a GP is a lot different than doing them at home.

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
Jason's problem with the jumps has always been a poor take-off and lack of height. I knew the first time I watched him he would have trouble with 3A's and quads because he has very little spring and no height to speak of. Brian will have to break down his take-offs so he get's better spring off the ice, if Jason is ever to have success with the big jumps. He rotates quickly, he just needs more time in the air.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I have a friend who did the cruise ship thing awhile. He enjoyed it. The pay wasn't great, but the adventures were. They are a public facing role, so he got to go on excursions with guests when there was room. The only "grunt work" was muster drill.

But no one on any of his ships was an Olympic medalist, or even Olympian. They were all just really good skaters who had been juniors or seniors, some without even international experience.

There are a few right now have been for years including Jessica Dube amongst others from different countries.

skatfan

It just depends. Some skaters get tense at the competition even at the practice sessions and their jumps go to pot.

My theory is that Brian wants him to get used to doing these jumps in front of a large audience as part of working his way up to doing them in competition. Doing jumps at a practice session at a GP is a lot different than doing them at home.

That makes sense - to do the jumps in competition practices. I just question putting it into the program - but again, he was so far out of the medals that they probably said, "Try it, it won't matter."

Fiero425

I agree he jumps big. My impression is that rotational speed is more of an issue, but I haven’t actually spent a lot of time watching him.

Few really skate fast enough as far as I'm concerned; some slower than others! I just can't see Jason turning back the clock and learning to jump better! Maybe if he had had this epiphany a couple years ago well then maybe! Not all are meant to skate at a high level well into their 20's! Anything's possible I guess, but I'm not seeing it so far! The look is better with the haircut, but that won't score him bonus points! :rolleyes: :COP: :plush: :yikes:

mag

His team is saying he is working on starting the rotation sooner. Not on jumping higher or turning fast. So I assume that's the issue. :D

If he doesn’t snap quickly into rotation when he jumps, that would give the impression that he rotates too slowly. If that is what Brian has said is the problem, I have no doubt that is the case.

screech

I wonder if his flexibility is an issue with his jumps. Shawn Sawyer was also incredibly flexible, but while he had gorgeous jumps up to the triple lutz, he struggled with his axel (and I don't think ever cleanly landed a quad either).

Sylvia

TBD
Orser, 1984 and 1988 Olympic singles silver medalist, was taught a jump technique that was like climbing onto a step and rotating on the way down from there, which worked fine when triple jumps were the limit. Now he teaches the opposite: starting to rotate on the way up, beginning with the skater having his feet together under him on the takeoff to facilitate the earlier rotation.

Brown said he also is working on head placement and using the core differently than he had on jumps in the past.
Excerpted from:
In case anyone missed reading it, Hersh's in-depth article on Jason was published before Skate Canada International and the link was posted in other threads but not this one: https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018...tory-ahead-of-skate-canada-and-2022-olympics/

leigh466

I wouldn't be surprised if they chose this music precisely because of the relaxed pace, as a way of allowing him time to focus on the new jump technique. I happen to love the first section :shuffle:.
I love the whole thing, and so did the Eurosport guys. And to whoever called Simon and Garfunkle "muzak", please do some research on their place in rock history. They made masterfully crafted, brilliantly arranged, completely original, unique, timeless, music. I think they are perfect for Jason.

Lacey

Jason's 3 axel combo (was it 3T?) in the long at SC was exquisite, let alone the 3Axels this fall have been much improved over previous seasons. I, along with just a few others here, consider he has improved a few things greatly so far. And yes, in breaking down things to consider what to change, it might be as simple as how he holds his head while jumping. Brian has very keen eyes and different ones than those of Kori. I predict that Jason, Brian and his other coaches will get to everything sooner rather than later, hopefully this season, but perhaps it might take more. As they said in the K&C, baby steps. So, let's hang on, even I was depressed after his SC Short. But he'll get there. Soon. Trust me. They didn't chop his hair off for no reason.

Last edited:

Seerek

I love the whole thing, and so did the Eurosport guys. And to whoever called Simon and Garfunkle "muzak", please do some research on their place in rock history.

It's unfortunate that David Wilson didn't really incorporate much opportunity for interpretation in the "Old Friends/Bookends" section, especially given the lyrics are pretty specific. Kind of a missed opportunity, IMO, so I can see why people unfamiliar with the song before this program would dismiss it as "background music".

wickedwitch

It's unfortunate that David Wilson didn't really incorporate much opportunity for interpretation in the "Old Friends/Bookends" section, especially given the lyrics are pretty specific. Kind of a missed opportunity, IMO, so I can see why people unfamiliar with the song before this program would dismiss it as "background music".
It's not being unfamiliar with the song that leads to it being called background music, IMO, but that there's not much connection (yet) between the music and the choreography.

Rock2

His team is saying he is working on starting the rotation sooner. Not on jumping higher or turning fast. So I assume that's the issue. :D

In my limited ability to diagnose I assumed this was the problem, too. I think it's the lutz and flip where you really see it. He often times doesn't start rotating until he's near the apex of his air position.

As with Medvedeva, the improvments Jason needs are major. My belief is that the REAL work will start in the spring/summer when they are both done competing. Neither arrived early enough this year to get a lot of work in when the focus for the first few months is getting used to your new life, routine, surroundings.

I have no doubt that by next year's GP, we'll see Jason turning quads in his programs and hopefully landing them. Anything he does before that is a bonus.

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
I wonder if his flexibility is an issue with his jumps. Shawn Sawyer was also incredibly flexible, but while he had gorgeous jumps up to the triple lutz, he struggled with his axel (and I don't think ever cleanly landed a quad either).

Sean Sawyer barely cleared the ice on his 2A. His jumps were smaller than Jason Brown's. And yes, he was slow in starting his rotation too. It had everything to with his lack of spring off the ice.

Mariposa skaters jump big. They learn early to get down into their knees and spring high. It's what they're known for.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I love the whole thing, and so did the Eurosport guys. And to whoever called Simon and Garfunkle "muzak", please do some research on their place in rock history. They made masterfully crafted, brilliantly arranged, completely original, unique, timeless, music. I think they are perfect for Jason.
I loved the program too. There were some things I'd change (maybe start Hazy Shade of Winter sooner) but I love those two songs by S&G and I thought the choreography was interesting, if not possibly executed 100% correctly (a few times it seemed off from the music).

Japanfan

Is it possible that maybe he already has reached his potential?

It's possible, but I don't think Jason sees it that way. When a skater who has already accomplished a lot grapples with staying versus leaving in sport, and chooses the former, they would have to believe there are areas in which they can improve.

Even though skaters may or may not actually fulfill the purpose they envisioned in staying, believing in that purpose would be a necessary mindset.

I'm reminded of when Elvis Stojko brought his Bruce Lee program back for the 2002 Olympics, and said he still felt he had more to get from/contribute to the sport. I don't know if he got what he was looking for, and am not sure if he made any further contributions - barring perhaps demonstrating that a skater can have longevity.

Japanfan

The music cut between Old Friends and Hazy Shade of Winter is downright jarring and I don't understand the thought process that put these two songs together.

I often find it jarring when two different pieces of music are put together for one program. To be honest I don't quite understand the logic for doing that (excepting for the Rhythm dance), rather than just skating to one continuous piece of music.

However, I find this music cut far less jarring than many other music cuts. At least it's the same singers and similar style of song - not two pieces that are completely different.

I love 'Old Friends', but don't think it is particularly 'skatable' music. And it would be better suited to pairs or dance, as it tells the story of two friends.

If David Wilson wanted a Simon & Garfunkel song, I could see him doing a great job with Sound of Silence or Bridge Over Troubled Water, especially if he can channel his emotions from last season.

Maybe he wanted to try something that hadn't been skated to before, or skated to often. If so, good for him.

I always assumed the ‘Old Friends’ section was Jason’s way of thanking and saying good bye to his former coach, and that the “Hazy Shade of Winter” reflected his move to a new life training in Toronto. IRC his coach Tracy Wilson even mentioned something about him leaving his old friends when she was doing the commentary for this program on CTV.

That's a plausible theory.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Jason's fp came off much better. He was clearly more into the program in terms of feeling and expressing the music, but I'm still not enamored of it, and I still don't think it works that well for his personality. On the CBC broadcast, Tracey Wilson mentioned something about Jason having left an 'old friend,' maybe as part of the reasoning for the S&G ballad. But I should think that kind of reasoning/ approach would work best for an exhibition program, not a competitive one. Plus Jason left more than just an 'old friend.' His former coach was like a second mother to him, not strictly an 'old friend.' The opening music sounds so melancholy, and why dwell on having left someone every time you compete this season under a new coaching situation? I realize that they are building an arc in attempting to portray over the course of the program that now things are looking up and he's moving on, etc. The changes they've made do clarify that connection and the build toward the final, more upbeat cut. But once again, the first cut for me seems too contemplative, sad and melancholy, and not Jason.

The costume I didn't find as off-putting as I remembered. The colors are okay, but the shirt itself and the design make it seem like a Dad shirt from the 1960s and 1970s. Seriously, I can recall my Dad wearing something similar, although not that bright, and not that specific pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information