(Updated) Denis Ten Murdered: was stabbed in the thigh

Tinami Amori

Thanks! ok.....
The one on the right is Arman Raiymbekov, 31 years old, past criminal record, but not on "active registry" as of lately.
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=595f56959b5c9f72be25360bbf2582a6&oe=5BD94AB3
The one on the left is Danyiar Toktagaliulyi, 23 years old, criminal record/active registry (sort of like prob. reg.)
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=a3d7875f2dc6dd9c7654a4bb05c1d515&oe=5BD617FF

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Thanks! ok.....
The one on the right is Arman Raiymbekov, 31 years old, past criminal record, but not on "active registry" as of lately.
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=595f56959b5c9f72be25360bbf2582a6&oe=5BD94AB3
The one on the left is Danyiar Toktagaliulyi, 23 years old, criminal record/active registry (sort of like prob. reg.)
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=a3d7875f2dc6dd9c7654a4bb05c1d515&oe=5BD617FF
So just two criminal idiots who didn't even have an idea of who their victim was.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Some videos I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbpC_z3xSCY
"Underneath the Ice" documentary 2018 - In English, Russian, and Korean
An interesting documentary, they have clips of him as a child, old family photos and the history of his Korean ancestry (I don't speak Korean but am assuming).
A beautiful quote from Denis at 36:45 "All people find themselves struggling with something, fighting for something. I think it's actually interesting and beautiful because it's not naive, typical. I think that's what makes you a human being." :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imuRH0Zbs_U
2017 interview by Yagudin with subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2hJlkIwbmE
pt 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eX5kh36-jw
2015 interview with KIM Magazine (with subtitles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZMsoA2rc_c
Short clip of Denis singing (April 2017) - Wow, he was really talented!!!

coppertop1

I first saw him at Skate Canada in 2009. He was so young and his potential was obvious. I will always remember his performance at the 2013 Worlds where he actually beat Patrick in the free skate.

topaz

So sad about the new of Denis Ten. I did not hear about it until @Coco texted me the news. His murder is so sad and tragic. I had the pleasure of Denis skate live in Milwaukee at Skate America. His natural musicality and great skating was nice see in person.

My prayers and love go out to his family, former coaches and friends.

mrinalini

Every time I see "murdered" in the thread title, I wince; you never want to think of someone so young, so seemingly lovely and kind, in that context.

As for those sickening monsters; they've not only ended one life but probably destroyed the family's lives as well...think of Denis' poor mother! They have to live with the knowledge of that fact, and may they get all that they deserve!

Bonita

I'm sure 99℅ of you aren't victim blaming. But for the 1%, he saw his car getting robbed and tried to defend it. In retrospect yes it's a thing. Walk away.

Violence escalates so fast you don't have time to be logical. He probably thought he'd chase them away.

I can't believe a young man like this is dead over ****ing mirrors. My heart hurts. May his joy of skating live on and inspire others.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I'm sure 99℅ of you aren't victim blaming. But for the 1%, he saw his car getting robbed and tried to defend it. In retrospect yes it's a thing. Walk away.

Violence escalates so fast you don't have time to be logical. He probably thought he'd chase them away.

I keep thinking we don't know his financial situation. Maybe that car was purchased with his prize money and that was his biggest asset.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
The articles say he is in critical condition, having lost 3 liters of blood. We have 5 liters. Sounds like they got his femoral artery.

That was my first thought, that they must have knicked his femoral artery. Usually a good rule of thumb is your estimated blood volume is 70ml/kg. Having seen him in person, I can't imagine him weighing much more than 60kg, so losing 3L was too much. So tragic. RIP

Last edited:

Japanfan

What are the lessons we should learn?

Life can be taken from us in the blink of an eye, without warning.

So sad. Dennis Ten gave so much so the sport - always humble and genuine, always looking to improve his skating, always grateful for whatever medals he earned. He had so much more to give, especially as the face of FS in Kazakstan.

RIP Dennis.

OlieRow

So unbelievably tragic. My heart breaks for everyone who knew him.

That was my first thought, that they must have knicked his femoral artery. Usually a good rule of thumb is your estimated blood volume is 70ml/kg. Having seen him in person, I can't imagine him weighing much more than 60kg, so losing 3L was too much. So tragic. RIP

Almost certainly had a femoral artery or vein injury. Shortly after the Pulse shooting, I was putting together a first aid kit for my car. I felt a little morbid including a tourniquet but you just never know what could happen in the world we live in. It just seems wrong that someone should die from a penetrating injury to the extremity but it happens.

Japanfan

I can't believe a young man like this is dead over ****ing mirrors. My heart hurts. May his joy of skating live on and inspire others.

As you said, there wasn't time to be logical. For certain Denis would not have expected to be attacked/murdered for those windows.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

Really the correct response to finding two thugs robbing you is Can I get you anything else?

We had a friend years ago fought a robber in front of the ATM machine. . He was shot and killed over $40.... in front of his wife and two daughters. None of us could believe this guy....a pillar of the LA Jewish community and a real mensch how he could lose his life trying to save his $40.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I've been trying to process this since I saw the news come across my Twitter feed this morning and I still have no words. This is such a sad and senseless tragedy. I saw Denis skate in person a few times at various competitions (I think Skate Canada 2009 might have been the first time for me) and he always brought a smile to my face. He will be missed so much. RIP :fragile:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Really the correct response to finding two thugs robbing you is Can I get you anything else?

We had a friend years ago fought a robber in front of the ATM machine. . He was shot and killed over $40.... in front of his wife and two daughters. None of us could believe this guy....a pillar of the LA Jewish community and a real mensch how he could lose his life trying to save his $40.

Yes, of course AxelAnnie shows up to tell us all about how Denis had the incorrect response and that's why he's dead.

Are you ever not an asshole?

Skittl1321

I had a conversation with my about to be 16 year old skater girl this morning. I told her, even though you are a black belt, if someone has a weapon and wants to rob you, just give them the watch/car/diamond earrings. Things can be replaced. Your life can't. Obviously, if they are trying to abduct you, thats a whole other thing. Poor Denis. To die for a car mirror. The world is a poorer place. Safe travels and smooth ice....
While this is very good advice, in this thread it is victim blaming. We don't really know what Denis did, how he confronted the men, or if he stumbled upon them. Frame it the other way: someone killed for a car mirror! What kind of world do we live in where that happens?

Words cannot even express what a tragedy this is. I only saw Denis skate live once, but he was an incredible talent. What a senseless death. My condolences to his family and friends. This is just truly horrible.

Anita18

It depends!

Japanfan

Seriously Axel Annie, I don't think there is such a thing as a 'correct response' in this situation. A person acts impulsively in the moment, and when one's property is being tampered with, the natural inclination would be to intervene unless the thieves were obviously armed.

These guys were petty thieves - not reason for DT to believe they were capable of murder.

In any case, RIP Denis Ten.

So sad to see such a young man murdered. Skater or not, Denis was just 25 with the whole rest of his life ahead of him. :cry::cry::cry:

Sally1214

This is awful. It would be one thing if they stabbed him once to get away and just happened to get his femoral artery, but this is SO much worse. :fragile:

I also have been trying to bring a tiny bit of comfort to myself by thinking that maybe he didn't suffer too much before losing consciousness. Like you, I thought they probably stabbed him ONCE in the thigh (not meaning to kill him but just to take him down) so that they could run away. And, if that ONE stab hit the femoral artery in his thigh, the blood loss would be massive in a very short time & maybe he lost consciousness very quickly. But this .... no, this does not sound like it was quick. And, they didn't just want to escape. They intended to hurt him very badly and he suffered. And, so ... I'm in tears again. My heart is aching and it just won't stop.

PeterG

I've been trying not to think about this today, because every time I do I start crying. Now it's starting again...

I'm posting because I watched the news tonight, both at 10pm and 11pm, first the Canadian channels and then the American channels. There was nothing. Which made me angry, he's a two-time World medallist and an Olympic medalist. This happened within the last 24 hours, right? Or am I not understanding correctly the time this happened and his story was reported last night?

I'm so gutted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information