(Updated) Denis Ten Murdered: was stabbed in the thigh

yfbg722

My daughter just reminded me that I actually met Denis. In 2009 at the Skate Canada International grand prix I was staffing the skater's lounge. Denis would come in every day and ask for chocolate milk. At the time, I'm not sure he spoke a lot of English and he was very proud of himself for making the request. He always had the cutest grin when making it. He was one of the highlights of my volunteer time for that competition. It breaks my heart that he's gone. I hope the men who did this to him are punished to the full extent allowable in their country.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I saw the announcement on the news here yesterday. Today the news was that they caught one of the men & he has confessed plus given the name of the other man. Actually I expected that they would be caught. When the victim is that beloved as Denis was then law enforcement usually won't stop until the perps are in custody.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I am still nearly beyond words devastated by this. There are certain skaters, in my tenure of fandom, who touch my soul. Wylie, Abbott, Weir were an American trio who had that capacity, at times. But internationally? Lambiel. Takahashi. Chan. Ten. Maybe I keep coming to this thread, knowing that it is not going to be revealed as a fake, but because each viewing hopefully gets me slightly closer to understanding this loss. Maybe so many skaters, and fans, are so shattered by this because Denis was not just an amazing athlete who we respect. He was one who touched souls, and who we respected so much also as a person. I credit Hanyu and Chen with being incredible athletes; neither touches me like Denis, whether he was "on" or not. Here was a young man who carried a country on his small, young shoulders, and did it with such grace and dignity. He is so much of a loss, and then again, so much of a loss in an even greater sense. This is beyond sad, it's somewhat traumatizing. For someone who's purpose and function in life was to bring beauty and grace and art to the world, to be so violently and callously dispatched, is just horrifying.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
^@Kasey, I love the way you formulated this. That's why the hearts. Otherwise just tears.
I had s pleasure to interview Denis once. What a gentleman, very analytical and mature for his age.
This is so very wrong.
You know what, I love you and who you are, and who you have been for me here. And I am still so devastated, I can not give you hearts back. Maybe it's the wear and tear of doing nursing for over 20 years. But I am so ****ing weary of what this population does to each other. (sorry for the cursing, ok, so maybe not really). I loved his skating. I loved him as a person the one time I met him. I loved him as a person as anyone else has met him. He just was special.

Veronika

gold dust woman
Oh, I know exactly how you feel. This wonderful young man DESERVED to have his death reported on Canadian and US news channels. He achieved so much and did a lot of good for his country in his extremely short life.

It was not on the cable news yesterday...not sure if the nightly news mentioned it in the US yesterday. The story was on the front page of headlines for most of the day (on 7/19/18) on the USA Today website. I know that CNN.com also had an article.

I agree that the news should've gotten much more coverage. :(

danibellerika

From a skating pal in NYC...

The Consulate General of the Republic of Kazakhstan has a condolence book for Denis that visitors can sign today and on Monday from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM -- address is:
535 5th Avenue (between 44th & 45th Streets), 19th floor
New York, NY 10017
http://kazconsulny.org/content/about-consulate

I've contacted the Embassy in DC asking if they can do the same. It's less than 10 minutes from my office by cab.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

My daughter just reminded me that I actually met Denis. In 2009 at the Skate Canada International grand prix I was staffing the skater's lounge. Denis would come in every day and ask for chocolate milk. At the time, I'm not sure he spoke a lot of English and he was very proud of himself for making the request. He always had the cutest grin when making it. He was one of the highlights of my volunteer time for that competition. It breaks my heart that he's gone. I hope the men who did this to him are punished to the full extent allowable in their country.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

I'm going to light a candle and pour myself a chocolate milk (which I will toast to the sky) in honour of this lost skating legend.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
So I think what makes this hurt so much was that I was first exposed to Denis when he was 16 and I was 14. As a fan I watched him develop as a skater. I witnessed his journey (as much as a fan could of course) from his underperforming to him being a world and Olympic medalist. Then I got
to thinking how much of a trailblazer he was for Kazakh skating and for Kazakhstan in general and realizing that a country lost one of their heroes, the skating world lost one of their future leaders, and in general the world lost one of its brilliant minds. I never thought the death of someone I never met would affect me this much, but here we are. Sending hugs to those out there that are also processing this.

screech

It was not on the cable news yesterday...not sure if the nightly news mentioned it in the US yesterday. The story was on the front page of headlines for most of the day (on 7/19/18) on the USA Today website. I know that CNN.com also had an article.

I agree that the news should've gotten much more coverage. :(
I was at my car dealership today getting for some maintenance, and they keep the CBC News channel on the TVs, and the arrest of the first murderer was one of the items on the news ticker.

It's been in seemingly ALL of the major news publications online, and updates have been getting posted as well. I think that it is receiving a remarkable amount of international coverage, considering a Kazakh figure skater is not at the top list of concerns for most people outside the sport (and I know that sounds a bit insensitive).

And speaking of insensitive, I read one place (I think it was a blog post) someone saying something like 'A figure skater who literally died by the blade.' Ugh!

Scrufflet

Just filled with sadness looking at that lovely fresh young face and knowing that he is no more.

And left with so many "if onlys". Ah Denis, if only you had stopped to have a chat with a fan and arrived at your car minutes later. If only you had taken a call from a figure skating colleague and stopped. If only you had had several friends with you who could have scared them off.....If only...

The outpouring of love and sadness from his skating family and his fans here moves me greatly.

dinakt

I am still nearly beyond words devastated by this. There are certain skaters, in my tenure of fandom, who touch my soul. Wylie, Abbott, Weir were an American trio who had that capacity, at times. But internationally? Lambiel. Takahashi. Chan. Ten. Maybe I keep coming to this thread, knowing that it is not going to be revealed as a fake, but because each viewing hopefully gets me slightly closer to understanding this loss. Maybe so many skaters, and fans, are so shattered by this because Denis was not just an amazing athlete who we respect. He was one who touched souls, and who we respected so much also as a person. I credit Hanyu and Chen with being incredible athletes; neither touches me like Denis, whether he was "on" or not. Here was a young man who carried a country on his small, young shoulders, and did it with such grace and dignity. He is so much of a loss, and then again, so much of a loss in an even greater sense. This is beyond sad, it's somewhat traumatizing. For someone who's purpose and function in life was to bring beauty and grace and art to the world, to be so violently and callously dispatched, is just horrifying.
Thank you, you speak for me. I've been reading, reading all day yesterday and not writing because I find it very hard to acknowledge this tragedy. I fell in love with Denis's skating at 2009 LA Worlds and loved it ever since. He was an incredibly talented, creative, thoughtful person- and writing "was" hurts as hell.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Apparently the picture Europe on Ice posted was fake. In this article they write that just one of the attackers got caught so far and his name is also different http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...held-killing-Olympic-figure-skating-star.html
Ha! i was wondering about that.... before your post this is what i was thinking (which is no longer true, thanks for confirming EOI not the right foto).
== Seems there was originally some confusion between 2 suspects on the video, the 2 men that were later arrested, their names, and now the info that “one is arrested and confessed” and the other one is being searched for (and now arrested). If the 2 men on the video where later shown together arrested and fotographed, then why now one man with a different name confesses, and 2nd one is searched for and arrested later? And they all have different names than those identified on the video…. And yet this original video is used as evidence for the last two men arrested, one of which confessed? Either it is a media mess-up and premature info leaks, or original mis-identification…. Or! The original two guys on the video “did it” but they are “well connected and protected” and instead the “authorities” found two other guys who are facing other previous serious murder charges and offered them a deal in exchange for lighter treatment by court and later in prison (a very common practice in post-soviet territories and not only).==

Anywho…. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrSWGhvksSA
Away from conspiracy theories, the last guy who confessed and the 2nd one who is just caught, said they did not intend to kill or even knew which part of the body they are hitting; they just wanted to get away and swung the knife randomly.

Yet experts insist that the angle of the cut and the “dynamics” of the knife usage clearly indicate knowledge of offensive knife-fighting. But another think that “expert criminals would not engage in such a fight over a minor object like car mirrors, the stakes are too low, so these guys are simple street thugs”.

Both detainees have criminal records related to theft and violent injuries on other victims. They are facing 15 years to life.

:D people on the Russian and Kazakh chats/forums are now talking about various issues of knife defense and SAMBO/KRAV-MAGA (self defense tactics) and what we all would like to do with the two criminals.... :EVILLE:

Also, the ambulance unit and the emergency surgery team are being investigated/reviewed if both acted efficiently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twss7JGziQA
So far the information is as following: When the ambulance unit arrived (few minutes after call) Ten already lost 2/3 of blood supply and was in a state of clinical death. Looks like so far both ambulance team and surgery team acted very professionally.

Last edited:

tamms

According to this article https://www.nur.kz/1743370-nuraly-kiasov-rasplakalsa-v-zale-suda.html , Kiyasov, the one who first got caught, broke into tears during the questioning and said he just watched his "colleague" stab and beat Denis. He has a criminal record and is unemployed.

Watching his partner stab another person to death over freaking car mirrors and leaving him on the street to die...I just can't. No words can properly describe the anger I have. These two murderers are not humans.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Watching his partner stab another person to death over freaking car mirrors and leaving him on the street to die...I just can't. No words can properly describe the anger I have. These two murderers are not humans.
He also quickly gave away who was his partner in crime and then accused him of doing most. I bet the other one says the same things. I don't believe anything these assholes say apart from them probably really not knowing whom they attacked.

Tinami Amori

According to this article https://www.nur.kz/1743370-nuraly-kiasov-rasplakalsa-v-zale-suda.html , Kiyasov, the one who first got caught, broke into tears during the questioning and said he just watched his "colleague" stab and beat Denis. He has a criminal record and is unemployed.
There is an eyewitness (the man who called the ambulance) who said, that all 3 personas where engaged in physical fighting, then when one man fell, and the witness ran to help him and then called the ambulance.
https://www.nur.kz/1743329-troe-dra...ec-rasskazala-o-napadenii-na-denisa-tena.html

Journalists visited Kiyasov's village, neighbors and parents. All said he was no good, a thug and thief. He was trouble in school, even while studying in college he preferred to steal and fight.
https://www.nur.kz/1743354-voroval-...li-o-zaderzannom-kiasove-ego-odnoselcane.html

Kaz is a muslim country.... they used to cut off the hand of a thieve... and then place them in jail for other crimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information