UPDATED/CONFIRMED: Evgenia Medvedeva leaving Tutberidze for Orser

S

SmallFairy

I will not say anything about the so-called adult Eteri T, because it will be very nasty and ugly. Instead I will say this:
Evgenia, go to Canada, practice hard, have a blast, see the world, make new friends and skate because you love it! Last season made me your fan, and now I'm rooting for you hard core:respec:

Daena

Lol, Eteri on it again - shitting on her ex-pupils.
Well, I bet this time Averbukh won't join her in this fest - Medvedeva is working for him, doesn't she?

S

SmallFairy

Chusovitina also represented Uzbekistan before she represented Germany. This list makes her look like a country hopper but when the Soviet Union was dissolved, she represented her home nation of Uzbekistan. When her son was extremely ill and needed life-saving treatment, he got it in Germany and she wanted to repay the country for it by competing for them. Eventually she decided she wanted to compete for her home country again.

Chuso is legend! I have the uttermost respect for her!

Dobre

Man Eteri sounds salty. So, so salty about this.

Did she have no idea that when she's constantly dumping skaters for her newer prospects older skaters might want to leave her? I'm baffled by her thought process there.

Oh, come on. You didn't really expect her to applaud this move, did you? We all knew her reaction would be :watch:worthy. Silence would probably have been the best policy, but I don't think we expected it.

I don't see any evidence that she "dumped" Medvedeva during the season. She is constantly training younger athletes with more complex jump formats, and that's kind of a microcosm for how the whole skating world works. You learn the jumps earlier and you're more ready to up the ante. Then the next youngster sees what you have accomplished, learns it even earlier, and ups the ante again. Not all of them can perform at that level under pressure in competition, especially while under the media microscope of expectations. But there's definitely a pattern of youngsters pushing the technical envelope.

Eteri is extremely good at bringing up young competitive athletes. It just doesn't seem like the program at her rink has a good next-step level of development. Nor is there any reason it should have to be Eteri who runs it. But if she isn't comfortable going there, then there does seem to be room for such a program for ladies skating in Russia, either at the same rink or elsewhere--essentially someone to give the more advanced skaters new goals, more of a breadth of performance ability, more of a say in their own skating. (What Tarasova was so good at but we haven't really seen for the Russian ladies this quadrennium). I thought perhaps Medvedeva would get it by hiring her own choreographers. This is a more dramatic step than I would have anticipated. But not everyone can afford to go to Orser so it does seem like a real need and potential opportunity for someone in Russia.

barbarafan

Lol, Eteri on it again - shitting on her ex-pupils.
Well, I bet this time Averbukh won't join her in this fest - Medvedeva is working for him, doesn't she?

I hope he stands up for her......It is possible she asked advice of what is best thing to do.

Bellanca

Channel One (main Russian tv channel) showed an interview with Eteri Tutberidze in the evening news.

Eteri sent them a screenshot, which showed all the messages she sent to Evgenia from the middle of April and said that Evgenia didn’t respond to her...
She also said that after Olympics Evgenia asked their coaching team: “Why couldn’t you keep Alina in juniors for one more year”
and Eteri answered her that “they couldn’t do that, everyone deserves equal opportunities”.

From that interview it also looks like Evgenia is indeed moving to Orser.
Averbukh and TAT were also asked to comment this situation and both said that Evgenia is a very strong young lady, and that she had her own motives to leave Eteri
Okay, so now we learn there was a desire from skater A (Evgenia) to keep skater B (Alina) safely and conveniently tucked away in juniors so that skater A (Evgenia) could go on to win unopposed (because the other ladies didn’t count, remember) at the Olympics, etc.?! Oy! :drama:

Instead, why not (initially) approach a competition (or season) by gracefully committing to accept winning or losing based on the results of the competition itself?! Not by the desired or hopeful manipulation of any competition or season via holding back or keeping another skater/rival at the junior level. And, then, pressing for answers (after the fact) from a (soon to be former) coach to a ridiculous suggestion/request and question in the first place. Sorry, folks, but sheesh! :rolleyes:

I'm glad Eteri & Co. resisted doing that to Alina, or any skater for that matter, on behalf of one skater's wish and desire for such an action, in this case, Evgenia, supposedly.

BTW, don’t get any cute ideas from all of this, USFS!! :sneaky: :p :judge:

Last edited:

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Except Tutberidze says that Medvedeva said those words about leaving Zagitova in Juniors right after exiting the ice after the free program at the Olympics. Needeless to say that their interactions after the free skate were dissected, analyzed, lip-read in minute details, and at no point could she have said that.
Yes, I'd like Eteri to please point out at what point Evgenia had allegedly said that.

hanca

Values her privacy
:confused::confused:

That doesn't make sense, as Zagitova was a senior at the Olympics.
That does make sense. She said why couldn’t they keep Zagitova in juniors a year longer. If Zagitova was in juniors a year longer, she wouldn’t compete at Olympics because she would be still junior this past season and Medvedeva would have won gold at Olympics. Saying that, it could be taken out of context, e.g. she could have meant it jokingly when she said it and Tutberidze now presents it as an example how selfish or immature Medvedeva is.

Meoima

Okay, so now we learn there was a desire from skater A (Evgenia) to keep skater B (Alina) safely and conveniently tucked away in juniors so that skater A (Evgenia) could go on to win unopposed (because the other ladies didn’t count, remember) at the Olympics, etc.?! Oy! :drama:

Instead, why not (initially) approach a competition (or season) by gracefully committing to accept winning or losing based on the results of the competition itself?! Not by the desired or hopeful manipulation of any competition or season via holding back or keeping another skater/rival at the junior level. And, then, pressing for answers (after the fact) from a (soon to be former) coach to a ridiculous suggestion/request and question in the first place. Sorry, folks, but sheesh! :rolleyes:

I'm glad Eteri & Co. resisted doing that to Alina, or any skater for that matter, on behalf of one skater's wish and desire for such an action, in this case, Evgenia, supposedly.

BTW, don’t get any cute ideas from all of this, USFS!! :sneaky::p :judge:
Eteri actually shoots herself in the foot here because frankly no one can prove Evgenia actually said that. Evgenia can just go on tivi and: “I am deeply hurt that my previous coach is spreading lies about me.” Oops...

Perky Shae Lynn

Well, it took Lubov four years to be released by Russia. I don’t think Medvedeva would want to wait so long. Russian federation does not have to release her at all.
Oh I agree. And Medvedeva would need some sort of a Canadian connection. I am just saying it's not impossible.

Perky Shae Lynn

Eteri's true colors are really showing. Medvedeva has not said one negative thing about her. And Eteri, a successful mature woman, chooses to start a smear campaign against her former pupil because her feeeeeeelings are hurt. Hey Eteri, keep your private conversations with an 18 year old girl PRIVATE.

Bellanca

Eteri actually shoots herself in the foot here because frankly no one can prove Evgenia actually said that. Evgenia can just go on tivi and: “I am deeply hurt that my previous coach is spreading lies about me.” Oops...
True, but, it goes both ways because frankly no one can prove Evgenia actually did not say that. :violin: I kind of really don't care, one way or the other, tbth. :lol: Sorry! :saint: :inavoid:

Or, here's a thought, a press release of an upcoming coaching change is announced and both women could possibly, just, maybe, you know -- move on?! ;)

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

One thing is for sure, she's OUT of Eteri's group. I wonder if Raf didn't have new students if she would choose him. I am still shaking my head though at her going to Brian or even that there is a possibility that she will. She will be training with Yuzu... like, arguably, the best two skaters in the world, same coach. Un-Real.

Meoima

True, but, it goes both ways because frankly no one can prove Evgenia actually did not say that. :violin: I kind of really don't care, one way or the other, tbth. :lol: Sorry! :saint::inavoid:

Or, here's a thought, a press release of an upcoming coaching change is announced and both women could possibly, just, maybe, you know -- move on?! ;)
If you don’t care you wouldn’t made a whole lengthy post degrading Evgenia on words she might or might have not said. The thing is we have no video to prove Eteri’s words so it’s bad on Eteri’s side. Why would she want to drag Evgenia badly even before Evgenia stated any words on Eteri herself? Eteri is 44 years old, not a teenager. People expect more from an adult.

barbarafan

From what is "out there", the time line goes like this:
- (from Med's mother's interview) Med's leg start to hurt late summer'17. The team considered taking time off to heal it and skip the GPs. Med wanted to skate believing that before the Olys she needs to participate in competitions to keep current. She also decided to change FS programme, and wanted more difficulty.
- In Nov 2017 she could not skate in GPF, and Nationals. She continued to discuss "increase of difficulty in the programme", and it seems like Eteri cautioned her against it. The issue of increased difficulty came up again after Med came 2nd at Europeans, and again Eteri probably talked her out of it.
- in early March (5-6) there were news that Med is leaving Eteri, which both denied with vigor. Yet people at the rink and "around the rink" (in chats, blogs, etc.) started discussing "Med is not happy, feels held back".

Eteri, Med, Zag, had a very difficult season, with Med's injury and additional OAR/Wada/IOC issues and uncertainties. They all did a great job holding it all together, and Med/Zag behaved exemplary, and Eteri managed to give both her best to take 2 spots on the podium.

Med spent 11 years with Eteri, and on working towards Gold at the Olympics. She came .10+ points short. She is upset, she has been very strong, but her nerves are not steel. Neither are Eteri's. Eteri can't reach Med since middle of April, she is frustrated, and now the leaking of info. Med is skating shows after shows, flying back and force to Moscow for other commercial obligations. They both need a break!

Russian yellow press, and all the speculations are not helping, by stirring up the situation.. .neither do the people who are helping to stir up the conflict.
So is your problem that people will know what is going on. Is Eteri spewing her vileness to get a story out before Med makes a statement. Maybe when Med asked Eteri to help her learn more difficult elements Eteri suggested she retire and offered to have a nice celebratory dinner for her as a sendoff and Med was so angry she has dismissed her from her life so of course she will not answer her texts. I am sure Med will be far more classy in her statement tomorrow. Eteri is acting like a ten year old.

Meoima

I understand why Med would leave Eteri. But I don't understand why Orser would want to get himself and TCC involved in such a potentially messy situation.
I am still in denial as well. Orser doesn’t look like someone who take WC champion. He might have some criteria and Med has fulfilled that?

Bellanca

If you don’t care you wouldn’t made a whole lengthy post degrading Evgenia on words she might or might have not said. The thing is we have no video to prove Eteri’s words so it’s bad on Eteri’s side. Why would she want to drag Evgenia badly even before Evgenia stated any words on Eteri herself? Eteri is 44 years old, not a teenager. People expect more from an adult.
:summer: Take a deep breath, calm down, enjoy the rest of your day - or evening. Remember, it's just skating... Evgenia will go on... Eteri will go on... No one is degrading anyone... It'll be fine... ;)

barbarafan

I understand why Med would leave Eteri. But I don't understand why Orser would want to get himself and TCC involved in such a potentially messy situation.

Because he is a good person and has seen Med's potential and who knew Eteri would go off the reservation. He knows he can look after Med's needs and she would never need to worry about being stabbed in the back. He does not care about colour or nationality...A kid is a kid and they need to be supported and protected.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Really people? Orser is the best choice on paper for Janny. He’s coached 2 of the most popular skaters that this sport has had as of late (Yuna and Yuzuru) so he more than anyone has the experience to deal with the :drama: that comes with taking on such a big name skater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information