Status
Not open for further replies.

ice coverage

I'm not getting the reference but anyway, congratulations Starr on your first GP medal!!

I'm not getting the reference either. 🤔
(I do get the Walter Cronkite reference.
If the thread title itself refers to something, I don't know what it is.)

ETA:
Now occurs to me (after reading Spiralgraph's post below) that maybe(?) the thread title is a reference to Dick Button's commentary, which came before I paid much attention to skating. I acknowledge my ignorance of his commentary.
My comment below still stands.​

Not that my opinion matters, but the thread title from Vagabond comes across as damning with faint praise -- which I do not like and which I would not like in other thread titles regardless of country or discipline. :(

Last edited:

Spiralgraph

Well I do get the reference (sometimes being of a certain age helps) and Starr deserved her medal. It's a competition after all and you succeed or fail on what you and your competitors perform on that day. Earth shattering tech? no.. but the medalists were better than those who didn't medal.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
I for one found Starr Andrews' performances this weekend very riveting.

The thread title is neither witty or amusing, a feeble attempt at humor.

I assumed Miss Manners would be the most antiquated reference I would read on the forum this week, but here we are.

Last edited:

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Well I do get the reference (sometimes being of a certain age helps) and Starr deserved her medal. It's a competition after all and you succeed or fail on what you and your competitors perform on that day. Earth shattering tech? no.. but the medalists were better than those who didn't medal.
Care to explain so people aren't taking it as the direct insult it sounds like?

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
She has 3 flutz if I remember correctly.
Yes I have only seen it called ! or e then she stopped attempting it for the most part. Maybe with her better training situation she can work on it. I feel like we have been watching her forever but she is only turned 21 in June.

Vagabond

For the record, I based the thread title on Hanna's comment about one of the free dances at Skate America. I find it equally apposite to the U.S. women this season. YMMV. 🤷‍♂️

Ena Grins

I don't really care what the thread title is.

I do think we could be shaping up for a fun and competitive US Nationals for the women. Isabeau Levito is still well out in front but Ava Marie Ziegler, Amber Glenn, and Starr Andrews have all shown they can deliver, and Lindsay Thorngren has the technical content to be competitive too. I also don't think you can rule Gracie Gold out this season.

ice coverage

For the record, I based the thread title on Hanna's comment about one of the free dances at Skate America. I find it equally apposite to the U.S. women this season. YMMV. 🤷‍♂️

I will try to make this post my final comment on the thread title.
A comment in one post about one FD at one event is one thing.
For me, it is a very different thing -- and a problematic thing -- for the same (or similar) damning with faint praise to be in a thread title that will be attached to many pages of discussion covering a variety of U.S. women at numerous different competitions. :(

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I don't really care what the thread title is.

I do think we could be shaping up for a fun and competitive US Nationals for the women. Isabeau Levito is still well out in front but Ava Marie Ziegler, Amber Glenn, and Starr Andrews have all shown they can deliver, and Lindsay Thorngren has the technical content to be competitive too. I also don't think you can rule Gracie Gold out this season.
Eh, I think Gracie is behind the other four at this point.

Lindsay is definitely going through a growth spurt at the moment. Whether she's done growing or has enough time to adjust before Nationals remains to be seen, but she's got the technical content to be competitive.

Ava Marie has definitely shown she can deliver at least somewhat consistently at a high level. And, I'm crossing my fingers she lucks her way into a 2nd GP somehow (though I'll take Golden Spin for her if not, lol).

I need to see what Amber and Starr do at NHK before I'm willing to jump completely on board with either. Amber, in particular, always seems to have one really decent GP where she scores in the range she did last week and then the rest of her comps are about 15-20 points lower. Starr outdid herself this weekend, but she did have that undiagnosed heart issue that was finally corrected this past spring, and the confidence she had in her skating this weekend was a marked change, so I'm curious to see if she can match (or come close to) this performance in a few weeks.

It's going to be really interesting to see if Audrey can step up and deliver this next week at GPdF - even if she doesn't medal, she needs to do better than the 175-range she typically scores around to put herself in the Nationals conversation.

And then, there's the great unknown, Bradie...

I don't mind the thread title - it seems to fit. They're maybe not riveting, but the whole field is intriguing, and they're making it so with the way they are upping their game out there on the ice.

Jammers

Nationals is going to be the most wide open since 2008 which was the last time the US ladies were lacking this much depth especially among the veteran ladies. I see a younger skater like Isabeau winning just like Mirai but i think she's old enough to go to Worlds unlike Mirai.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Maybe we could just title the U.S. women's thread like the other disciplines....using the year/season and nothing else. Just sayin'.
Yes. Not like just the other U.S. discipline thread but ALL other news threads don't have insulting titles we are expected to post in for months until it reaches so many pages. Is the next Russian news thread going to be called "Some Dope Some Don't but they sure can skate when allowed?" I hope not.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I find the title of the thread :lol: and interesting solely on the basis that the OP once tried to take me to task about the term 'cheated' for underrotated jumps being a 'disservice to the skaters' and skating in general, regardless of what the ISU and USFS terminology says and the understanding of the term as used in skating. ;)

..Yet this verbiage isn't a disservice to their efforts.... :slinkaway

Anyways, rebuilding year or not, Nationals is always going to be more exciting when there is a big group that could step it up and get a ticket to Worlds.

Last edited:

kalle

Can anyone tell me how it is going for Hanna and Ting? These two showed great promise a few years ago and both are interesting skaters with very much their own style. I believe Hanna did pretty well at a CS earlier this fall? Are they going through Sectionals?

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Can anyone tell me how it is going for Hanna and Ting? These two showed great promise a few years ago and both are interesting skaters with very much their own style. I believe Hanna did pretty well at a CS earlier this fall? Are they going through Sectionals?

I’m not the expert on explaining the details but I know Ting has a challenger coming up and if you’re talking about Hannah Harrell she had a challenge earlier this year and did not do all that well but OK.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I’m not the expert on explaining the details but I know Ting has a challenger coming up and if you’re talking about Hannah Harrell she had a challenge earlier this year and did not do all that well but OK.
Ting does not have a Challenger assignment - there is still Golden Spin, but assignments for that won't be out for a couple more weeks - after Sectionals are completed, which is nice since the USFS can use those results to make any final decisions about who to send.

Debbie S

Ting does not have a Challenger coming up. She is in the ISP but unfortunately, has not yet received an assignment. Theoretically, USFS could assign another woman to Warsaw Cup (right now, it's just Kate Wang) and there is also Golden Spin in early Dec. But I suspect there are others (like Ziegler) who are closer in line for assignments.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Ting does not have a Challenger assignment - there is still Golden Spin, but assignments for that won't be out for a couple more weeks - after Sectionals are completed, which is nice since the USFS can use those results to make any final decisions about who to send.

hmmmm I swear I saw her name coming up for something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information