Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I agree. Her speed has improved. Hopefully, it will continue to improve and help with her jumps.

Her short program:

Her free program:

I'm still not feeling her connection with this music, but it seems like she's focusing on technical issues right now, which makes sense.

Thank you for posting, I really love her programs this year. I don’t understand why so many people nitpick her to death. Do you have somebody better you want to send forward from the USA? OK then. Lindsay will challenge her but she seems the top American

I have not seen her short program before and I absolutely love the costume and the music something original and I love it. Thought it was actually fantastic

I loved her short program the costume and especially the music. Somethings so original. I loved it and could watch that over for a little bit. I think it was fantastic and should be proud

Free program I loved her dress and her artistry and especially her arm movement. However I don’t like this song. It just seems to grating and too Junior for me especially when Madeline used it all season last year. In fact I think the only time I’ve ever liked my sweet and tender beast is when Sasha Cohen did it back in the day without lyrics. Otherwise it seems too Disney or junior for me. Other than that she’s so fantastic I’m so proud of her

honey

I don’t think it’s hatred towards Isabeau that I see. I see a lot of people (rightfully) concerned about her longevity in the sport if the problems she has now are not addressed. Speed and the jump technique are the things I see mentioned about her most often.

She is a special talent, but if some fundamental things are not addressed now, it’s likely that she will not be able to fulfil the great potential that she has. I might be ok-ish for now, but there are three and a half years before the next Olympics and that’s a long time to go.

jlai

Question everything
It's not just Isabeau, Americans nitpick all their women skaters absolutely to death. The moment they show any potential, it begins. I don't know how any of them cope.
But if you gush over them some fans consider that as hype. ;)

layman

But if you gush over them some fans consider that as hype. ;)
Look how far hype got Alysa Liu. She lasted exactly one season as a senior. Yet, the weaknesses in her technique were visible from her juvenile days and foreshadowed what would happen once she grew. So, I don't think it's alarmist to point out how the same kinds of technical issues might hinder other skaters.

Kateri

void beast
Look how far hype got Alysa Liu. She lasted exactly one season as a senior. Yet, the weaknesses in her technique were visible from her juvenile days and foreshadowed what would happen once she grew. So, I don't think it's alarmist to point out how the same kinds of technical issues might hinder other skaters.
You're right, the hype is just as bad, and the other side of the hyper-scrutiny coin. And I mosly blame the media, not people on message boards, and yes, technique issues are fair game for comment.

Mostly, I'm just sick of the constant pattern of "omg Skater X had a bad skate, she is doomed, she cannot be our Chosen one, and must be thrown to the wolves forever, or at least immediately change coaches for the third time this season."

They're all SO young, and I will never forget how so many get hurt by this ridiculousness. Good on Alysa getting out while she could.

D

Deleted member 221

All that alarmism got her to the Olympics and to the world podium..... Maybe people should have devoted more alarmism to Mariah Bell's and Karen Chen's technique instead. :shuffle:.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I think most of us love Isabeau but can't help but worry about her when we see how she twists her back to jump. We've seen far too much of what results from that. :( We want better for her, for the sake of her own health as well as her longevity.

Trillian

You're right, the hype is just as bad, and the other side of the hyper-scrutiny coin. And I mosly blame the media, not people on message boards, and yes, technique issues are fair game for comment.

I think some of the scrutiny - among fans, at least - is a byproduct of the hype in a lot of cases. Sometimes, pointing out the things that a skater needs to improve is just another way of saying, “Hey, let’s be fair to this kid and not overburden her with unrealistic expectations.” But people have been through this cycle enough times that the scrutiny takes off faster than the hype sometimes, and that’s not healthy for the skaters either.

Isabeau is an exceptional skater and she has some work to do before she’s world champion material - both of those things can be true at the same time. The important thing is that she (and her fans) should be able to enjoy her accomplishments without worrying about where she measures up against every other skater in history.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
This is a message board, folks. Things get dull and die when we censor criticism of skaters. It's why I left GoldenSkate (along with the ridiculous Russian focus). I realize it's fashionable to only be supportive and soft these days, but let's not forget these skaters are competing in Olympic-level sport. Fair criticism of music or technique or packaging on a random figure skating forum should not be on any elite skater's (or athlete's) radar.

On My Own

All that alarmism got her to the Olympics and to the world podium..... Maybe people should have devoted more alarmism to Mariah Bell's and Karen Chen's technique instead. :shuffle:.
This makes little sense because in your own opinion the judges thought Karen's jumps sucked. Why does lack of alarmism on message boards matter more than what the judges are saying?
It's why I left GoldenSkate (along with the ridiculous Russian focus).
It really proved stan twitter would still be stan twitter even if we replaced the 16 year olds with 70 year olds.

DreamSkates

More speed is great, but a triple axel or quad attempt would be better :p. Looking at the protocols for the up-and-coming Japanese women, I think Levito and Thorngren need to up the tech content if they want to be relevant by the time 2026 comes around.

During the summer, Levito had a (big) axel early in her program and was supposed to be including the 3A in subsequent competitions, but so far that hasn't happened and the axel has been moved back in the jump order.
She is working on it. Just having moved up to senior level, let’s give her some time. Olympics are likely in her sight and in her plans.

Sylvia

TBD
Belatedly, here's a Senior Women's podium pic from Middle Atlantics this past Saturday night (Sept. 10) in NYC: https://twitter.com/michlmint/status/1568758273897267202
"Alexa Gasparotto. Big jumps well timed to highlights in the music. Entertaining program that really suits her. Crowd got into her program."
Alexa Gasparotto with Rohene Ward (he choreographed her programs this season, including her FS to "Dreamgirls"): https://twitter.com/michlmint/status/1568754870655811587
Article by Lois Elfman:
Gasparotto, 19, grew up in Michigan and began skating at age four at one of the state’s well known training facilities. In 2020, she met prominent coach/choreographer Rohene Ward at a Diversify Ice exhibition. The mission of the Diversify Ice Foundation is to increase access and diversity in the sport. Gasparotto and Ward are both ambassadors.
“I ran into him the following year at a competition and he wanted to work with me, and I was super honored and surprised,” Gasparotto said. “I was already a big fan of his. Fast forward to now, I’ve been working with him for about a year.”

barbk

Karen Chen's jump issues got quite a bit of attention here...I don't know why you would suggest that they were papered over. Mariah Bell still reminds me of Jenny Kirk - pretty skating, but not likely to make it to the top of the podium internationally most years. I also find her skating pretty forgettable. Neither of them had the performance zing that Kwan, Cohen, or Bobek managed to bring to the ice.

That said, I am sure they Chen and Bell are both wonderful people who have worked tremendously hard to compete successfully at an international level. They just don't float my boat.

VGThuy

Karen has done many interviews that show she was very aware of her shortcomings as a skater to the point where she could name the same criticisms that have been hurled at her by many skating fans who spent years talking about her jump issues and where it hurt her confidence and she needed the assistance of a mental health professionals. Her issues weren’t from a lack of trying or laziness.

I don’t get where people get this idea that these skaters are delusional or living lives of a serious lack of awareness of their shortcomings.

That being said, fans should be able to discuss technique issues, criticisms they have of skaters, and even their irrational annoyances of skaters. Fans should also be prepared to get negative responses back, especially if some comments are too irrational to the point of calling for a response, but a discussion board is here to talk about such things and to “debate” such things.

aml78

While Alysa had a lot of hype and hate, her brief senior career, in my opinion was more of a pacing issue and lack of internal motivation. The drive was coming from her Father. Not her.

Willin

@aml78 What makes you say that? The drive was entirely her. I'm sure she had doubts, but she was close enough to the Olympics that it made sense for her to wait until then and then retire.

And seriously. No more racist b******* about how her Dad is some crazy Tiger parent, please. I was even right about the move to Colorado: his decision, while not handled in the best way as far as communicating the problem with USFS/her coaches, was due to extenuating circumstances.

sk9tingfan

Plagued by an ankle injury, Bradie Tennell has withdrawn from The Japan Open and will be off the ice for several weeks.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Plagued by an ankle injury, Bradie Tennell has withdrawn from The Japan Open and will be off the ice for several weeks.

I suppose it's a good thing that her GP doesn't start until MKJW, but I can't help being worried.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I'm wondering if this is more a precautionary measure. She'll be off the ice for a few weeks. After her issues last year, I don't blame her for being cautious.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Hannah Lofton just finished 23rd of 25 at the CS Finlandia Trophy. Top score 109.90. How was she sent to this important international event in her current state? Hadn’t she already moved to full-time studenting?

USA’s other contestant, Lindsay Thornton, did much better: 5th in the free and 6th overall, earning 165.09 points!

Sylvia

TBD
How was she sent to this important international event in her current state? Hadn’t she already moved to full-time studenting?
:confused: Should "full-time studenting" disqualify skaters from getting an international assignment? Lofton's Team USA profile says she "Currently attends Harper College as an engineering major ... Graduated high school in 2022": https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/figure-skating/roster/hannah-lofton/672

I admit I was a bit surprised to see Lofton get a Challenger Series assignment but she had scored 170 in a NQS competition (DuPage Open in late July). She finished #9 in the Senior Women's NQS rankings behind Levito, Thorngren, Seo (assigned to 2 JGPs), Josephine Lee (2 JGPs), Hilmer (1 CS), Harrell (1 CS), Elsa Cheng (173.56 at Middle Atlantics in Sept. - only one not yet assigned to an international this season though she has competed in several Junior Bs before), and Budko (1 CS).

Hannah Lofton's senior international debut was at Cranberry Cup in August where she finished 6th - 153.51 & a respectable 103.34 5th place in the FS with 6 triples through 3Lz called rotated: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/lea...------FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf
Her TES there was 28.36 (makes her 4CC-eligible; the current Worlds minimum is 32) / 57.15 (current Worlds min. is 53).
Maybe her Cranberry FS helped get her the Finlandia assignment? I really was :( to see how much she underperformed this weekend and assume the pressure of competing abroad for the first time ever (she's never had a junior international experience) was likely a factor.

I haven't seen any Finlandia Trophy programs yet but good for Lindsay Thorngren to pull up to 6th overall and earn 178 ISU World Standings rankings points.

ISU SB scores above 158 so far this season (top 11 U.S. Women through Finlandia/JGP Baltic Cup):
198.99 Isabeau LEVITO CS Ondrej Nepela Memorial, 1st
185.92 Soho LEE JGP Riga Cup, 2nd (JGP in Egna next week)
177.71 Mia KALIN JGP Baltic Cup, 4th
177.01 Amber GLENN CS Lombardia Trophy, 4th
176.44 Audrey SHIN CS U.S. International FS Classic, 4th
175.55 Hanna HARRELL CS Lombardia Trophy, 5th
174.46 Sonja HILMER CS U.S. International FS Classic, 5th
170.33 Clare SEO JGP Solidarity Cup, 8th
169.42 Josephine LEE JGP Baltic Cup, 7th
165.09 Lindsay THORNGREN CS Finlandia Trophy, 6th
158.38 Elyce LIN-GRACEY JGP Baltic Cup, 9th

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
:confused: Should "full-time studenting" disqualify skaters from getting an international assignment?….

….
Perhaps yes. I saw the bit about her being an engineering major earlier. She’s in a different world. Wishing her the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information