U.S. Women [#1]: The Contenders Unmask Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I've always thought of Amber to be like Tonya Harding or Nicole Bobek. You know she has the talent, but not the discipline to make it. It's probably why Bradie and Karen are ahead of her right now in the race, but who knows, she might surprise us all.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Unless someone is practicing with Amber, I don't think they are qualified to comment on her discipline. From her own comments and what we've seen in competition, she is more emotional than the typical US lady. This can be both a strength and a liability. But it by no means blocks her from succeeding.

aml78

Cranberry Cup was before Champs Camp and Mariah showed up at the latter with her new SP and "Hallelujah" FS.

I and a few others posted positively about Mariah's new SP to "River Flows In You" by Yiruma a few pages back, starting here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...unmask-themselves.108436/page-30#post-6078865

ETA:

Hersh transcribed Bell's quotes about returning to her "Hallelujah" FS: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1450500681727684614

She also said in her Team USA media session online today that she has the option of competing at Golden Spin of Zagreb (same week as GP Final) since she and the rest of Team USA couldn't go to the Asian Open Trophy.
Sorry. I’ve been a little behind on my news. I misremembered the timing. Glad it’s been worked through for a while.

clairecloutier

IMO, she needs a change of coach.

Amber's greatest success as a senior has come since she went to the Cains. She got the triple Axel (or got it consistently) after going to the Cains. I think she had trained with several other top U.S. coaches in the past but, for whatever reason, has had her best results where she is now.

Unless someone is practicing with Amber, I don't think they are qualified to comment on her discipline. From her own comments and what we've seen in competition, she is more emotional than the typical US lady. This can be both a strength and a liability. But it by no means blocks her from succeeding.

Amber has ADHD. That means she is likely to have a different approach to training and competing and organizing her training than people who don't have ADHD. Emotions and managing them differently than other people might also come with the territory. Like you say, it doesn't mean she can't be successful, but it's got to be be on her terms and in a way that works for her.

sk9tingfan

Amber's greatest success as a senior has come since she went to the Cains. She got the triple Axel (or got it consistently) after going to the Cains. I think she had trained with several other top U.S. coaches in the past but, for whatever reason, has had her best results where she is now.

Amber has ADHD. That means she is likely to have a different approach to training and competing and organizing her training than people who don't have ADHD. Emotions and managing them differently than other people might also come with the territory. Like you say, it doesn't mean she can't be successful, but it's got to be be on her terms and in a way that works for her.
I did not know that; thank you. But I think something is still missing.

Marco

Pre-GP recap on the contenders of the US women's Olympic team -

Bradie - Needs to get over her injuries and then perhaps needs to face the UR demons that plagued her internationally earlier last season. Not sure at this stage how much pre-Nationals exposure and mileage with new programs she can have. Fortunately for her, she does have some clout with USFS. Still a strong contender for the team.

Amber - Basically same story as Bradie but her demon is more consistency-related. Not the same clout / BOW as Bradie though and will probably lose out to her in a tight race between the two just like she did to Karen to Worlds last season.

Karen - Some solid skates so far this season despite still receiving UR calls. As seen in 2017 and 2021 Worlds though, she has a knack for clearing up the URs when it mattered the most. I hope she can set herself up nicely with more solid skates at her GPs and advance in the selection enveloping.

Alysa - Best form, best outings and so far the best bet for the US. Please stay healthy and focus on the 3axel. I say forget the 4lutz. 3 3axels ala Tuk can still get her close to (if not on) the podium at Olympics and Worlds.

Mariah - Not much to see so far but at least the programs are no longer a concern. I love her skating but I feel unless she breaks out at GPs she will need some mistakes from others to contend.

[Lindsay] - Surprisingly stable and may play spoiler like Paulina.

What I want: Alysa, Karen, Mariah
What I predict: Alysa, Karen, Bradie

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I predict:
Alysa, Karen, Lindsay on Oly Team

but...

Alysa, Isabeau, Karen Top 3 at Nationals. (Isabeau too young for O/W.)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Has Courtney retired?
Hicks? She had hip surgery in January 2021 and was off the ice for a while before starting to compete again this summer & fall.

Courtney Hicks competed in Allen, TX this past weekend and placed 6th. Here are the current qualifying competition standings compiled after the first 3 of 8 comps in the Championship Series competitions thread in Kiss & Cry:
SENIOR WOMEN OVERALL (TOP 9 once all 8 comps done make Nationals)
(byes- Tennell, Liu, Bell, Chen, Glenn, Levito, Thorngren, Andrews, Shin)
Gabriella Izzo 183 E
Hanna Harrell 171 E
Finley Hawk 164 M
Alena Budko 163 P
Wren Warne-Jacobsen 162 M
Sonja Hilmer 157 M
Maryn Pierce 156 M
Sierra Venetta 153 P
Maxine Bautista 148 M
Paige Rydberg 146.73 M
Courtney Hicks 146.21 M
Alex Evans 144 P

Yet to skate/score- Gracie Gold E, Emilia Murdock P, Heidi Munger E, Rena Ikenishi E, Ting Cui E, Pooja Kalyan M, Emily Zhang E, Sarah Jung E
Technically it will be the top 2 skaters in each of the 3 sections (E, M, P) and then the next top 3 total scores from the nation that will qualify for 2022 Nationals, along with those with the byes, for a total of 18.

Skaters can enter up to 2 Championship Series comps and their highest total score will be used for ranking purposes.

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I feel like there will be a few notable names of past Nationals competitors who don't qualify this year. The hard cap of 18 skaters seems to be more of a factor in this than going from 4 to 2 per section.

Another thing that is different with this new system is skaters can compete outside of their region or section in their attempt to qualify. Not sure that is helpful if they aren't familiar with the panels, but it is new.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I will say that going by score is at least much better than going by placement in the cups the way Russia does it. Their fields are wildly uneven so it becomes very unfair, but at least some of their skaters are finding success competing for other countries when they realize there are 9 Eteri skaters ahead of them at any given moment...

euterpe

I want Alysa, Mariah and Amber to go to Olympics. Bradie and Karen have been to an Olympics and it’s not like either one has a prayer of medaling so why go back? I want people to go who’ve never been.

Alysa, I agree with. Mariah and Amber, not so much.
Just because Bradie and Karen have been to an Olympics shouldn't rule them out this time. Both have done pretty well internationally (Karen's two 4ths at Worlds; Bradie's 6th and 7th before skating in disintegrating boots at Worlds 2021; plus a 4CC bronze) while Mariah has had inconsistent results over the years, and Amber's international results have been mediocre, to be kind.

Do you realize that Mariah is older than Bradie (25 to 23)? Mariah is limited technically; her best finish at Worlds was 9th, after two 12th place finishes. So how are her medal chances in Beijing better than Bradie's or Karen's?

And Amber, at 22, has done little internationally (10th-Finlandia 2021: fall on 3a<< in SP, 4-triple FS) to show that she could be at all competitive against the current crop of Russian, Japanese and Korean women. We hear a lot about her 3a, but have yet to see a successful attempt in competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information