U.S. Women [#1]: The Contenders Unmask Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

Lindsay hasn't even skated a senior international yet. She scored 193+ in her last JGP event, which is about 4 points lower than Bradie scored at Worlds last March, only with one less element. I don't see any reason to believe that she isn't capable of scoring close to the 208+ that Chen and Hendrickx scored to finish 4th & 5th. If she gets that 3A around at Nationals, all bets are off for keeping her off the Olympic team.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Lindsay hasn't even skated a senior international yet. She scored 193+ in her last JGP event, which is about 4 points lower than Bradie scored at Worlds last March, only with one less element. I don't see any reason to believe that she isn't capable of scoring close to the 208+ that Chen and Hendrickx scored to finish 4th & 5th. If she gets that 3A around at Nationals, all bets are off for keeping her off the Olympic team.

I had to go back and look at Wikipedia for detailed results. I think they’re pretty much at the same point with their scores if you take Lindsey where Bradie was 4/5 years ago

I’m surprised Lindsay didn’t score even higher at her two assignments in the junior Grand Prix this year. I’m not the biggest fan of hers but she’s rocksolid

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Even if Lindsay medals at US nationals don’t be fooled into thinking US figure skating will send her to the Olympics. If Karen or Mariah are right behind her I’m sure they will pick them. I even feel if amber medals at US championships they may not select her either

Karen has proven to US figure skating she can handle pressure of the big league. It’s weird to think that Mariah has not been to a Worlds yet , correct? Or am I four glasses too deep in the Kahlúa right now?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Regarding my comparison to Lindsey today with Bradie 4–5 years ago she’s very consistent with the jumps, rarely falls. Her technical score is higher than her PCS. Artistry needs to develop just like Bradies did 4/5 years ago.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Her On Golden Pond short program was exceptional I thought and also self choreographed

❤️❤️
That program live at Nationals reminded me why I love skating. After 2006 I was frustrated with skating and had so much other stuff going on that I became a casual viewer. Then the 2017 Nationals came to town and I decided I would go. I was in the nosebleeds with tears in my eyes after that program. Results are nice but I truly love skating for moments like that.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Even if Lindsay medals at US nationals don’t be fooled into thinking US figure skating will send her to the Olympics. If Karen or Mariah are right behind her I’m sure they will pick them. I even feel if amber medals at US championships they may not select her either

Karen has proven to US figure skating she can handle pressure of the big league. It’s weird to think that Mariah has not been to a Worlds yet , correct? Or am I four glasses too deep in the Kahlúa right now?
How can you forget THE SLASH heard round the world, lol?

Mariah went to worlds in 17 (12th), 18 (12th) and 19 (9th).

wickedwitch

I suspect that if you looked in the Archives, you could find similar posts about Kimmie Meissner in 2005 and about Polina Edmunds in 2013.
You mean when she was the bronze medalist at Nats? Kimmie making the Oly team was very much the expectation, probably more comparable to Alysa than to Lindsay.

But I agree that it's likely USFSA will send Lindsay if she's top 3 at Nats (or even top 4 behind Isabeau).

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I suspect that if you looked in the Archives, you could find similar posts about Kimmie Meissner in 2005 and about Polina Edmunds in 2013.
My feeling is that the US when they have three Olympic spots: 1. The Here and Right Now (which to me is Alysa). 2. The Dutiful and Decorated Vet (Bradie). The third spot seemed to always be the 3. The Future of US Skating. I'm not too crazy about Lindsay Thornberg, honestly, and I can NOT believe her LP cost 10K.... why? (I know it's not the choreographer's fault....) But I do feel that Karen Chen in 2018 was given that #3 spot (The Future) and obviously did nothing with it, but skate craptacularly at the Olympics only to be indifferent and complain about her boot sponsors and that she couldn't live with her Mom in the Oly Village. I think it's right to give the third spot to the 'next generation'. The USFS needs to throw a bone to the parents of all the skaters who are basically sacrificing their would-be perfect lives to support their child's dream. I tell my friends who want to get their kids in skating to just do it for fun. The USFS is old school, 1950s level. I think the USFS should strongly consider for the sake of the growth of their program to at least pretend that Lindsay Thorngren can make the Olympics. I think Karen is wonderful, and if I sound critical, I'm not, I am merely critiquing her because she is so talented and I think she can handle it. The talented ones don't whine and cry about critiquing, that's left to their fanbase it seems.

VGThuy

If we whine, it’s only because we’re the only ones who have to read it. But I get your point. I’ve reveled when all the negative naysayers were proven wrong once, I should just sit back and hope it happens again. I was just hoping Worlds 2021 would have granted some sort of respite.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

My reason for saying this is based on Worlds selection this year.

"US Medalists need not apply...""

ahem, bitterness over Amber. Cant see them treating Lindsay differently, unless she were to win the JGPF.

Sylvia

TBD
Beijing 2022 Team USA Media Summit (virtual) started today - screenshot of Karen during her session today: "After making it to the Olympics in 2018 made my desire even greater." https://twitter.com/fsonline/status/1450239235915649026
Another quote: https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1450238263856336898
Karen Chen: “If I learned anything from last season it's that I do best if I'm just focused on myself. I know [Skate Canada's] a tough competition... But at the end of the day what matters is myself and putting out two solid programs that I’m proud of.”

Bradie during her session: "Said winning a team medal in 2018 and being there when Mirai landed a triple Axel was a great moment for her" https://twitter.com/fsonline/status/1450228270138494976
Bradie also said: “I had a stress reaction [note: this is less serious than a stress fracture] earlier in the summer and then I was on my way back and ended up tearing a few muscles in my foot.” https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1450227877350367232

From Alysa Liu's session: "Says she is inspired watching Nathan Chen train, and she listens to music to motivate her before she skates." https://twitter.com/fsonline/status/1450190518944550913
Two more quotes: https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1450192690742796293
“I'm definitely going to do the 3A in my short program at Skate Canada, I might do it in the long. It's going really well in practice so hopefully I can do it in competition too.”
On competitions so far this season: “It was definitely good to get out there and compete again for more experience and because it’s the senior level, so i got to see more of what it was like to compete with people on the world level.”

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Beijing 2022 Team USA Media Summit (virtual) started today - screenshot of Karen during her session today: "After making it to the Olympics in 2018 made my desire even greater." https://twitter.com/fsonline/status/1450239235915649026

Bradie during her session: "Said winning a team medal in 2018 and being there when Mirai landed a triple Axel was a great moment for her" https://twitter.com/fsonline/status/1450228270138494976

From Alysa Liu's session: https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1450192690742796293

Get it Alysa!!

Get it Karen!

Karen-W

My reason for saying this is based on Worlds selection this year.

"US Medalists need not apply...""

ahem, bitterness over Amber. Cant see them treating Lindsay differently, unless she were to win the JGPF.
The difference between Amber Glenn and Lindsay Thorngren is that Amber is several years older and has had plenty of time to be the fresh newcomer on the senior level both internationally and nationally to make her mark - and she really hasn't. We're not talking about her being in the mix for SkAm medals the way we are talking about Alysa possibly medaling in the two hardest GP fields for a reason.

Winning silver at Nats in a season like last one wasn't going to gain her a lot of trust that she could handle the pressure of delivering a top 10 finish at Worlds when that's the minimum we needed in order to have a shot at 3 spots this season. This is Lindsay's first season of senior eligibility, plus she's gone out and not only won one JGP but she medaled in her 2nd one plus increased her TSS to a level that places her in the top 10 at Worlds, and that's with a program that's 30 seconds and one jumping pass less than is done on the senior level.

You can be as bitter as you like about Amber being passed over last season for the 2nd spot on the World team but comparing that situation to the #3 spot on the Olympic team isn't the same, nor are Amber & Lindsay at the same point in their careers this season.

toddlj

I like Lindsay's Queen's Gambit free skate... and her consistent, reliable jumps and spins. She's a baby, sure, but she's also a dedicated athlete with speed and attack. If she stays consistent this season (and JGP final and a senior competition) and then finishes top three at nats, I'd support her for the Olympic team. And I think a lot of folks would agree.

But, the above is a tall order.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I like Lindsay's Queen's Gambit free skate... and her consistent, reliable jumps and spins. She's a baby, sure, but she's also a dedicated athlete with speed and attack. If she stays consistent this season (and JGP final and a senior competition) and then finishes top three at nats, I'd support her for the Olympic team. And I think a lot of folks would agree.

But, the above is a tall order.
Well, in 2018 I was one of the few to say that Polina Edmonds before USN that she would be named to the Olympic team, and she only did the JGP/JGPF. I have the same feeling with Lindsay. She is (one of) the future of US skating. Let's give it to a newbie in seniors, maybe she will improve over the next four years. I'd rather see that than the third American who while having a gorgeous Kwan-Spiral will probably place at best 8-15. Just give it to the next generation. Think of the all the parents paying $$$$$$$$$$ for their kid's skating to see that hard work and not politics can triumph.

Sylvia

TBD
Well, in 2018 I was one of the few to say that Polina Edmonds before USN that she would be named to the Olympic team, and she only did the JGP/JGPF.
You mean Edmunds in 2013-14.
Think of the all the parents paying $$$$$$$$$$ for their kid's skating to see that hard work and not politics can triumph.
Well this should apply equally to ALL skaters, not just the young ones.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The difference between Amber Glenn and Lindsay Thorngren is that Amber is several years older and has had plenty of time to be the fresh newcomer on the senior level both internationally and nationally to make her mark - and she really hasn't. We're not talking about her being in the mix for SkAm medals the way we are talking about Alysa possibly medaling in the two hardest GP fields for a reason.

Winning silver at Nats in a season like last one wasn't going to gain her a lot of trust that she could handle the pressure of delivering a top 10 finish at Worlds when that's the minimum we needed in order to have a shot at 3 spots this season. This is Lindsay's first season of senior eligibility, plus she's gone out and not only won one JGP but she medaled in her 2nd one plus increased her TSS to a level that places her in the top 10 at Worlds, and that's with a program that's 30 seconds and one jumping pass less than is done on the senior level.

You can be as bitter as you like about Amber being passed over last season for the 2nd spot on the World team but comparing that situation to the #3 spot on the Olympic team isn't the same, nor are Amber & Lindsay at the same point in their careers this season.

Lol, wasn’t really bitter, who has time for that when there was a below deck reunion on last night. Just some ANL humor. Gets lost on some

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
It's a tough choice to make, but the US is lucky they have three spots. We have one lone spot for the Canadian women's and I'm not confident enough in any of them. I only hope Daleman doesn't get that spot as she is like Amber. They're experienced but unreliable.

aml78

Mariah Bell changed both of her programs. Thank goodness. She’s going back to Hallelujah for the long and has a new SP which she debuted in NV. Good move. Wish they had given her that feedback after Champs Camp and not after she competed them both. That SP was a mess.

Sylvia

TBD
Wish they had given her that feedback after Champs Camp and not after she competed them both.
Cranberry Cup was before Champs Camp and Mariah showed up at the latter with her new SP and "Hallelujah" FS.

I and a few others posted positively about Mariah's new SP to "River Flows In You" by Yiruma a few pages back, starting here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...unmask-themselves.108436/page-30#post-6078865

ETA:

Hersh transcribed Bell's quotes about returning to her "Hallelujah" FS: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1450500681727684614

She also said in her Team USA media session online today that she has the option of competing at Golden Spin of Zagreb (same week as GP Final) since she and the rest of Team USA couldn't go to the Asian Open Trophy.

Last edited:

layman

I don't know why everyone is counting Amber out. Like Brady, she is coming back from an injury. I am going to wait until I see her Grand Prix performances (to see how her season develops).

Plus, I don't think she came out of nowhere to earn the Silver at Nationals last season. She's been making steady progress for at least the last three or four seasons.

I know the Russians were talking about Amber a lot last season (after she won the Silver at Nationals). They pointed out that she was the only US lady who did not under-rotate and she was the only US lady who they saw as a threat. I think that says a lot.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

know the Russians were talking about Amber a lot last season (after she won the Silver at Nationals). They pointed out that she was the only US lady who did not under-rotate and she was the only US lady who they saw as a threat. I think that says a lot.

Oh wow, that’s cool to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information