U.S. Women [#1]: The Contenders Unmask Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
"Starr Andrews will represent Team USA at 2021 Guaranteed Rate Skate America, U.S. Figure Skating announced Monday. Andrews will replace Bradie Tennell, who has withdrawn from the competition due to injury."
Fingers crossed that Bradie will heal soon - she has GP #3 in Italy (Nov. 5-7) and also has been entered in 2 Challengers in November - Graz, Austria & Warsaw Cup.

ETA:

Sept. 19th:
Phil Hersh tweeted today that he asked Zakrajsek about Bradie's current status:
"Just some foot pain related to fixing some boot issues. Being cautious early in the season." He said Tennell still plans to do Skate America.
Oct. 6th: https://twitter.com/AngelaSkates84/status/1445764120926633984
Looks like Bradie is recovered from her injury and ready for SA. Tom Z posted video on Instagram [stories] of her doing 3F, 3Lz, and 3Lz-3T
Oct. 11th:
Bradie's pre-Skate America media call was yesterday (she did not elaborate on her boot/foot issues and talked about her programs) - recapped starting here: https://twitter.com/fsonline/status/1447696718141792258

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Karen Chen has been such a disappointment as a fan for six years. Yes, Butterfly Lovers is pretty pretty, but she is capable of so much more choreographically. I would like more Chinese movements and less NorthAmericanPrettyArms in her program. Otherwise, she just comes across as boring to me. Pretty, but boring.

Her On Golden Pond short program was exceptional I thought and also self choreographed

❤️❤️

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I agree, and it appears we are probably set with a team comprised of Alysa, Bradie, and Karen. No big surprises are likely, though Thorngren taking Karen's spot would be nice.

Well it’s because of Karen that the US ladies have three spots so I think Karen is probably going to get the spot and US judges love her and rightfully so

Karen changed my mind last year as she performed well under pressure again. And she did well last week.

I was hoping for Amber to squeak her way on but I don’t think it will be possible. She seems to injured

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I hate to think of any of them that making it, but I feel that Bradie is far more vulnerable than Karen. At least Bradie has a medal from Pyeongchang team event.

I feel that Lindsay is going to be on the team. It will most likely be Alyssa, Karen and Lindsey.

I need to see how Lindsey’s racks up points on her programs still for the season. She’s also a possibility. And just like Bradie four years ago she is consistent with her jumps. I feel like she’s exactly in the position where Bradie was four years ago or five years ago. Artistry still being developed and jumps are there. So she could be the Polina/Bradie

And if Lindsey puts the triple axle out and it gets consistent. There’s even more potential

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Starr Andrews will represent Team USA at 2021 Guaranteed Rate Skate America, U.S. Figure Skating announced Monday. Andrews will replace Bradie Tennell, who has withdrawn from the competition due to injury."

Wht?!?!??!,!!,!,,

Couldn’t you at least wait until I downed my first Kahlúa this morning? Bradie is out?

kwanatic

Very sad to hear about Bradie withdrawing but I can't say I'm surprised. We haven't seen or heard anything from her all summer and it's not usual for her since she usually competes in at least one summer competition every year.

Sad to say this likely means there's no shot at seeing an American on the podium at SA this year. I like Amber but I don't trust her as a competitor. I'm happy for Starr--this is a great opportunity for her but we all know she's in no danger of being a contender for a spot to Beijing at this point. Hopefully she'll have strong performances she can be proud of.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Bradie is tough (and I say that as a non-fan.) If any of the current US ladies can come back from a late start and boot/foot problems it's probably her, but remembering Med's ill-timed injury four years ago I'd now guess the US team will be Alysa, Karen and Mariah.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Very sad to hear about Bradie withdrawing but I can't say I'm surprised. We haven't seen or heard anything from her all summer and it's not usual for her since she usually competes in at least one summer competition every year.

Sad to say this likely means there's no shot at seeing an American on the podium at SA this year. I like Amber but I don't trust her as a competitor. I'm happy for Starr--this is a great opportunity for her but we all know she's in no danger of being a contender for a spot to Beijing at this point. Hopefully she'll have strong performances she can be proud of.

Tell me, why do skaters replace their boots in an Olympic year? Unless if it’s court ordered or absolutely necessary and threading has come apart…

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Oh, wow. This has me very concerned about Bradie's status and hoped of making a 2nd Olympic team. Hopefully she'll be able to make it to her other events in a few weeks.

As far as the women go... Mariah put herself back in the mix with her new SP but she's going to have to skate like she was 2 years ago if she hopes to make the Olympic team. Not sure where I see Karen in the mix. Her Finlandia showing was a vast improvement over ACI. My gut has been telling me Thorngren since last month when she threw out a 3A at Mid-Atlantics and went for it at her 2nd JGP assignment and I'm sticking with that. Right now... Alysa, Karen and Lindsay are my bets, but Mariah could take Karen's spot, very easily.

Debbie S

More than one pair a year? They don’t last longer than that?
It depends on the boots and the skater. Some change their boots once a year (spring/early summer) and some need more than 1 new pair a year (I think I read that Nathan Chen goes through several pairs per season). I think ice dancers don't always need new boots each season, sometimes they can go for 2 seasons with the same boots, but it depends.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
For sure Alysa will make the three. Bradie & Amber are ???, depending on their health/boot issues. Karen & Mariah, hard to say. It wouldn't surprise me if a new name pops up.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
"Starr Andrews will represent Team USA at 2021 Guaranteed Rate Skate America, U.S. Figure Skating announced Monday. Andrews will replace Bradie Tennell, who has withdrawn from the competition due to injury."
Fingers crossed that Bradie will heal soon - she has GP #3 in Italy and has been entered in 2 Challengers in November - Graz, Austria & Warsaw Cup.

ETA:

Sept. 19th:

Oct. 6th: https://twitter.com/AngelaSkates84/status/1445764120926633984

Oct. 11th:

Sad for Bradie but thrilled for Starr!!!! ⭐💫 🌟

You know, when assignments to the various Sr GPs came out in midsummer, I had a feeling that Starr might be getting the SkAm “tbd,” in addition to going to G-P France. Then Audrey Shin got the SkAm “tbd” instead.

Of course, I hate to see it happen under these circumstances but I like Starr a lot...and let’s not forget that she’s also a spokesperson for sponsors, a fave of the ISU and inclusivity! Yeah!!!

Go, Starr!!!!

euterpe

Does anyone know where the GP events following SA will be viewable for us folks in the US?

Sylvia

TBD
Not sure if Peacock will provide expanded coverage.
They will: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...2021-22-schedules-listed.108706/#post-6080292

Bradie just posted: https://www.instagram.com/p/CVLStagFieO/
Hi everyone, I just wanted to pop on here and give an update.
With sadness, I've withdrawn from Skate America. I've been working hard to beat an ongoing injury with my foot. While I'm very happy to be making a LOT of progress in overcoming this and now getting back to full training, competing right away doesn't make sense. Energy and persistence conquer all things, and I'm full of both! I can't wait to compete again soon 💪🏻

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Fan Zone article on Audrey Shin who will make her "real" Grand Prix debut later this week:
Excerpt:
At the end of August, Shin was invited to attend Champs Camp in Nashville, Tennessee, receive feedback on her programs. The performance-based camp is intended to prepare athletes for the Grand Prix Series. The feedback from Champs Camp proved to be valuable and helped Shin win a skate-off against other skaters to secure her Skate America® assignment.

Audrey and Gabriella Izzo were invited to Champs Camp in addition to Starr (since she had GP France) and, from what I heard, Starr placed a close 2nd to Audrey in the skate-off and became the 1st alternate.

Last edited:

kalle

I felt this was coming for Bradie but I would never count her out. If she is really back training fulltime again, she should be fine for Italy.
For the Olympic team, it is impossible to say for now but overall speaking, I am glad that we see Alysa and Lindsey "hungry" out there going for the 3/3's and 3A. No matter how much I love Mariah and Karen, I would love to see a bit more from them.
Karen can always surprise technically but I don't understand that in an Olympic season, they dont go for a 3/3 consistently in every single competition they are attending?
I assume with the years of experience they have that they are fully aware with the international competition they have around them. It is not that it is all about the technical mark but I see no big improvement in that area and it is reasonable to say that other skaters are catching up.
I would especially love for Mariah to earn a spot on the Olympic team and I hope there will be no more 3/2 coming into the GP season. Many of the top Europeans (not even counting the Russians) are now attempting 3/3 both in SP and LP like Kurakova, Loena, Kibus..

SkateFanBerlin

Decision to skip SA a good one. Bradie doesn't need a bunch of competition time; she's a reliable skater. Best she get as healed as possible. Even waiting to name the ladies Oly team could be put off. US strongest ladies team has Bradie on it.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Her On Golden Pond short program was exceptional I thought and also self choreographed

❤️❤️
YES!!!!! It was a-maz-ing. I had so much hope and optimism to see her grow as both a skater and a choreographer. Four years later, she's still the carrot queen and has resorted to pretty pretty vacuous skating.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

YES!!!!! It was a-maz-ing. I had so much hope and optimism to see her grow as both a skater and a choreographer. Four years later, she's still the carrot queen and has resorted to pretty pretty vacuous skating.

Carrot queen? Lol. I created a Bradie fan page and I think I titled it these jumps aren’t under review, turns out a year and a half later the jumps are under review. I think almost everybody except Alysa not counting her triple axel they are all under review nowadays

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Carrot queen? Lol. I created a Bradie fan page and I think I titled it these jumps aren’t under review, turns out a year and a half later the jumps are under review. I think almost everybody except Alysa not counting her triple axel they are all under review nowadays
Yes, I remember!!! LOL. Now it should be titled "All These Jumps are NOW Under Review!!!" hehe. Poor Bradie, she's such a hard worker. I really want to see her succeed this year.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Philip Hersh just tweeted the following:

Philip Hersh
@olyphil

1 / On a USOPC press conference a few hours after announcing her withdrawal from #Skate America, Bradie Tennell gave a few details about the foot injury that has derailed her. She said she had a stress reaction followed by tearing some muscles in her foot.

2 / Tennell called the problems “bumps in the road,” said her prognosis is good and said she was “extremely hopeful” to compete in the two November Challenger Series events in which she is entered: Cup of Austria Nov. 11-14 and Warsaw Cup Nov. 18-21.

Last edited:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I hope Bradie can comeback fully. I'm starting to have flashbacks of Wagner's last Olympic attempt with a poor (for her) showing at the previous worlds and then injury withdrawal.

Jammers

I need to see how Lindsey’s racks up points on her programs still for the season. She’s also a possibility. And just like Bradie four years ago she is consistent with her jumps. I feel like she’s exactly in the position where Bradie was four years ago or five years ago. Artistry still being developed and jumps are there. So she could be the Polina/Bradie

And if Lindsey puts the triple axle out and it gets consistent. There’s even more potential
Lindsey's not really where Bradie was 4 years ago. Bradie was skating in Senior competitions and making a name for herself and outscoring what Lindsay is doing right now especially in the LP and even skated in a GP event and medaled which was huge and as bad as the US ladies are right now or are questions marks because of injuries in 2018 no US lady was doing well other then Bradie not even Ashley. Karen was her usually underachieving self as always on the GP and Mirai's big thing was the triple axel but she wasn't exactly setting the world on fire and that was your Olympic team in 2018. At least this time there is a US lady who seems to want it and is winning and if the likes of Mariah, Bradie and Amber skate well they will all easily beat Lindsey.

wickedwitch

Lindsey's not really where Bradie was 4 years ago. Bradie was skating in Senior competitions and making a name for herself and outscoring what Lindsay is doing right now especially in the LP and even skated in a GP event and medaled which was huge and as bad as the US ladies are right now or are questions marks because of injuries in 2018 no US lady was doing well other then Bradie not even Ashley. Karen was her usually underachieving self as always on the GP and Mirai's big thing was the triple axel but she wasn't exactly setting the world on fire and that was your Olympic team in 2018. At least this time there is a US lady who seems to want it and is winning and if the likes of Mariah, Bradie and Amber skate well they will all easily beat Lindsey.
No. Lindsay's where Polina was 8 years ago.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Humbly disagree, Lindsay has been scoring 125 in the free program Bradie was slightly higher. Then she also has the triple axel not quite ratified as full around in a competition yet.

Looking at their technical marks and the PCS marks respectively aren’t they pretty much at the same point. Granted Bradie was on the senior scene for a year before 2018. Their scores are just about the same. Only thing different is There wasn’t so many Russian women scoring 150+ 4/5 years ago

Regarding Mirai didn’t she go to Tom the year before the Olympics as well? I know Mirai was without a coach and in search for a coach at that time but I think Bradie should’ve stayed put in Illinois with Denise. It’s not like tom is the triple axel coach.

If Lindsay skated the program to the Queens gambit four years ago in the Grand Prix circuit she probably would’ve medaled as well with her score. Not anymore with the Korean and Russian women and Japanese. They have upped the ante

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information