U.S. Women [#1]: The Contenders Unmask Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
The qualifying competition in Henderson, Nevada this week has Mariah Bell (she already has a bye to Nationals but good idea to compete before her GP season, especially since she now doesn't have an ISU Challenger beforehand) and Hanna Harrell listed in Senior; JGP singles competitors listed in Junior are Clare Seo, Mia Kalin, and Josephine Lee. They all compete on Friday & Saturday (to be streamed on Peacock Premium).

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The qualifying competition in Henderson, Nevada this week has Mariah Bell (she already has a bye to Nationals but good idea to compete before her GP season, especially since she now doesn't have an ISU Challenger beforehand) and Hanna Harrell listed in Senior; JGP singles competitors listed in Junior are Clare Seo, Mia Kalin, and Josephine Lee. They all compete on Friday & Saturday (to be streamed on Peacock Premium).

My greatest hope is that Mia Kalin has ditched the black-red onesie Sambo-Wanna-Be costume for the LP. Complete with gloves...exactly like Valieva’s Bolero in Finlandia!

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Thanks, @Sylvia

ETA: I've been looking at who scored what and who is in which 'priority' group for Olympic selection.

Basically, it is too soon to know anything although Karen, Alysa and Lindsey have not hurt themselves. That said, I do think Nationals will be as important as ever, if not more so. I am almost impressed with USFSA's selection criteria. It seems well thought out and relatively transparent. Fingers crossed that team selection is uncontroversial and no one feels double crossed.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the Championship Series thread last night in Kiss & Cry:
69.73 for Mariah's "River Flows In You" [by Yiruma] SP debut - 2A with nice edges/turns on entry & exit, 3F+2T, back spiral to 3Lz.
I liked what I saw. :)

I don't think she's planning to skate her FS (reportedly has gone back to Hallelujah) because she's not listed in the starting order of the final group in Henderson, NV tonight.

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over the relevant parts of this post from the Challenger Series thread (thanks, @Stephanie):
USFS has published their entries for the November challengers:

Cup of Austria: Andrews, Shin, Tennell

Warsaw Cup: Izzo, Tennell, Thorngren
A few comments from me:
-Tennell will be competing 3 weekends in a row and 4 weekends out of 5. I'll be surprised if she ends up doing both challengers.
-Andrews and Shin will now have byes to nationals with their 3 challenger/GP assignments

olympic

This particular program from Mariah Bell - I feel like I am watching the best of MK and Sasha in one person; the soft lyrical overall quality and good technique of MK, and the flexibility, spins and performance quality of Sasha. This can go far! I would not count her out for the Olympic team

ETA - the ponytail made me think of Sasha circa 2002

mtnskater

If you have Peacock and haven’t watched Starr Andrew’s short program from the Blaine, MN competition, I highly recommend checking it out. A good reminder of just how good Starr can be! Wish she could produce this type of performance consistently. All around fabulous. I know her eeville twin reappeared for the free but that short was great!

Also watched Mariah Bell’s new short from Henderson. Now that program is vintage Mariah. Gorgeous and spellbinding. Perfect for her IMHO. She is such a special performer and the jumps were really good (lutz, flip/2 toe and 2 axel) even though no 3/3.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
If you have Peacock and haven’t watched Starr Andrew’s short program from the Blaine, MN competition, I highly recommend checking it out. A good reminder of just how good Starr can be! Wish she could produce this type of performance consistently. All around fabulous. I know her eeville twin reappeared for the free but that short was great!

Also watched Mariah Bell’s new short from Henderson. Now that program is vintage Mariah. Gorgeous and spellbinding. Perfect for her IMHO. She is such a special performer and the jumps were really good (lutz, flip/2 toe and 2 axel) even though no 3/3.

Is it subscription Peacock? I’m about to do that today to watch the new Halloween movie

wickedwitch

I don't particularly love Mariah's new SP -- although it could just need more mileage -- but it's sooooo much better than her old SP that I don't care.

(I am still amazed at how bad it was. I can't remember watching such a terrible program -- and that's saying something! I have no clue how Raf (or even Mariah herself) thought that program was remotely decent.)

mtnskater

Is Kanon Smith scheduled to compete at any of the Nationals qualifiers? 🙏 Or is she out of Nationals?

Marco

I don't particularly love Mariah's new SP -- although it could just need more mileage -- but it's sooooo much better than her old SP that I don't care.

(I am still amazed at how bad it was. I can't remember watching such a terrible program -- and that's saying something! I have no clue how Raf (or even Mariah herself) thought that program was remotely decent.)
It's like... bland is sufficient in comparison.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
It's like... bland is sufficient in comparison.
That is her major problem. Bland is her forte. She has the personality of a perky smiley cheerleader, and when she tried to pull off Adam Rippon's choreo to edgy/modern music to show her 'bad girl' side, well, it ain't there. Don't try it. Do not try this at home. But, she did, got it out of her system, and fortunately put that program to pasture. I'm glad she went back to Hallelujah, no matter how overdone I think that song is. It allows her to present herself at her best. And that's all we want from her.

eta: I would look just as ridiculous trying to perform Adam Rippon choreo like Mariah, so I'm not crapping on her or anything.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Could somebody please explain the thing about Mariah Bell and bunnies? Does she collect stuffed bunnies...or is it a nickname? In the latest TSL episode, Dave Lease and Jeni Kirk allude to something about bunnies, related to the USFS Nats qualifier event in Nevada. Huh?

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Bland and pretty have been working Ok for Karen Chen these past few years. Bell just need to land all of her jumps, including the 3-3.
Karen Chen has been such a disappointment as a fan for six years. Yes, Butterfly Lovers is pretty pretty, but she is capable of so much more choreographically. I would like more Chinese movements and less NorthAmericanPrettyArms in her program. Otherwise, she just comes across as boring to me. Pretty, but boring.

kwanatic

That is her major problem. Bland is her forte. She has the personality of a perky smiley cheerleader, and when she tried to pull off Adam Rippon's choreo to edgy/modern music to show her 'bad girl' side, well, it ain't there. Don't try it. Do not try this at home. But, she did, got it out of her system, and fortunately put that program to pasture. I'm glad she went back to Hallelujah, no matter how overdone I think that song is. It allows her to present herself at her best. And that's all we want from her.

eta: I would look just as ridiculous trying to perform Adam Rippon choreo like Mariah, so I'm not crapping on her or anything.
I wouldn't call Mariah bland--that's a bit harsh. She just shines in traditional lyrical or safe programs. Honestly, I think she can pull off the "bad girl" thing just fine, with the right choreography and music. Her Britney SP was surprisingly entertaining and, when she nailed it, it scored well. I think Adam may have been trying to go for a viral/get-them-talking moment with that vogueing SP and it just ended up being a big clusterf*ck of a mess.

Hallelujah is a beautiful program and I'm very happy she went back to it as well. That is an Olympic program--I can see her having another moment with it at nationals and in Beijing as well. Now that first FS she had...THAT was a bland program. Actually I'd say it was boring and, again, it's an Olympic year. You want something that can create a moment and that FS would have just created nap time for the audience.

I love Yiruma's music and that piece is beautiful. It's safe but it's pretty so it will work.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Basically, it is too soon to know anything although Karen, Alysa and Lindsey have not hurt themselves. That said, I do think Nationals will be as important as ever, if not more so. I am almost impressed with USFSA's selection criteria. It seems well thought out and relatively transparent. Fingers crossed that team selection is uncontroversial and no one feels double crossed.
I agree, and it appears we are probably set with a team comprised of Alysa, Bradie, and Karen. No big surprises are likely, though Thorngren taking Karen's spot would be nice.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I hate to think of any of them that making it, but I feel that Bradie is far more vulnerable than Karen. At least Bradie has a medal from Pyeongchang team event.

I feel that Lindsay is going to be on the team. It will most likely be Alyssa, Karen and Lindsey.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I hate to think of any of them that making it, but I feel that Bradie is far more vulnerable than Karen. At least Bradie has a medal from Pyeongchang team event.

I feel that Lindsay is going to be on the team. It will most likely be Alyssa, Karen and Lindsey.
I am concerned with Bradie too. But she has never really been a major </UR skater like Karen, so her return to form shouldn't be as hard. Just get back to BradieForm, no need to start learning 3axels at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information