USFS' Championship Series: 2022 US Nationals qualifying competitions, Oct. 5-Nov. 20, 2021

annie720

Wait. Peacock just put up 10 names for the starting order for Senior Men when there are only 3 competitors. 😆

Sylvia

TBD
Glad to see Joe Klein back competing - he was off the ice due to a heel injury (per his Instagram) after Skate Milwaukee and hopefully will do better in his next comp. Nice 3Lz+3T today!

ETA that his Team USA bio lists his FS music as "Flow Like Water" by James Newton Howard from Avatar: The Last Airbender (Cordero Zuckerman, Josh Farris, Drew Meekins are listed as his choreographers): https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/figure-skating/roster/joseph-klein/517

wickedwitch

Glad to see Joe Klein back competing - he was off the ice due to a heel injury (per his Instagram) after Skate Milwaukee and hopefully will do better in his next comp. Nice 3Lz+3T today!
The 3z-3T was gorgeous. Crossing all my fingers and toes he continues his recovery and can skate his best at Nats.

wickedwitch

Will looks pretty disappointed in the KnC after a somewhat rough skate. :( On the bright side, his quad attempt looked rotated live.

ETA: and the tech panel is really taking their time, which has to be extra hard on the skater after a rough skate.

wickedwitch

We're clearly at the Tomoki Hiwatachi SP appreciation portion of the event, with Love Runs Out being played in the arena and Goku skating to Cry Me A River.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Just caught up with the top Sr W skates from yesterday in Henderson, NV. Congrats to Hannah Harrell! That’s the best that I’ve seen her skate in a long time. However...
If she was skating to TURANDOT, why dress as a hotel bellhop??? It reminded me of the old TV commercial: “Call for Philip Morris!”

Sylvia

TBD
2nd group of Senior women is underway in Allen, TX - Kristine Levitina is skating to Madonna's "Frozen." She placed 4th (pewter medal :D) at 2021 Collegiate Nationals this past summer representing Florida International University.

ETA program music if I know it or can identify:

Ariela Masarsky: Romeo & Juliet (2013) film soundtrack by Abel Korzeniowski
Alyssa Rich - "One Day I'll Fly Away" (cover version)
Julia Biechler - "Vienna" performed by Linda Eder (coached by Viktor Pfeifer in CO Springs now)
McKenzie Edwards - "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miz (coached by Kori Ade)
Paige Rydberg - Broken Vessels (Amazing Grace) by Hillsong Worship

Last edited:

wickedwitch

Currently 2-5 in the LP have 0.4 points separating them. The SP is the decider.

Love Paige, but this is not my favorite of her programs.

Sylvia

TBD
FS music for the final group in Allen, TX:

Izzo: Sunset Boulevard, incl. "With One Look" performed by Glenn Close
Pierce: Catch Me If You Can film soundtrack by John Williams
Hilmer: Champion Theme of Viego, The Ruined King from League of Legends made by Riot Games, self-choreographed
Venetta: Mao's Last Dancer film soundtrack by Christopher Gordon, choreo. by Scott Brown
Lin: Slow Dancing in the Big City OST, choreo. by Misha Ge
Hicks: Samson & Delilah by Saint-Saens, choreo. by Jonathan Cassar

Last edited:

wickedwitch

Maryn's a very good skater (although this was a rough performance outside of the 3-3), but I have absolutely no clue what she was going for in this program. She kept look surprised at seemingly random points in the program. It was far more distracting than it was effective. Also, this music goes absolutely nowhere.

wickedwitch

You know what's missing? The "OMG I just qualified for Nats" reactions, because even with a great score, they can't be really sure they qualified at the moment.

Sonja has improved so much in the past few seasons. A few years ago, she was wonderfully expressive, but all her triples were borderline rotated at best. Kudos to her on the improvement.

annie720

You know what's missing? The "OMG I just qualified for Nats" reactions, because even with a great score, they can't be really sure they qualified at the moment.

Sonja has improved so much in the past few seasons. A few years ago, she was wonderfully expressive, but all her triples were borderline rotated at best. Kudos to her on the improvement.
Agree about Sonja! I used to have no confidence she would land anything. I've been pleasantly surprised at how she looks here.

Sylvia

TBD
Senior Women (Allen, TX) final standings/link to protocols:
Top 6:
Gabriella Izzo 183.07 1 1 (123.32 FS)
Sonja Hilmer 157.51 3 2 (100.43)
Maryn Pierce 156.18 2 4 (98.03)
Sierra Venetta 153.89 4 5 (97.24)
Paige Rydberg 146.73 7 3 (98.11)
Courtney Hicks 146.21 5 6 (91.42)
Jessica Lin 141.09 6 7 (87.64)

Final event in Allen is the Junior Women FS - (ETA final standings/link to protocols): https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/30106/CAT005SEG010.html

Soho Lee just landed everything she planned: 3Lz+3T (called << by tech. panel), 3F+2T, 3Lo with twizzle exit, 2A+1Eu+3S, 3Lz, 3F, 2A.

ETA: 110.75 in FS, 164.80 total!

Top 4:
Soho Lee, Glacier Falls FSC 164.80 1 1 (110.75 FS)
Maria Platonova, Panthers FSC 133.72 2 2 (85.90 FS)
Amber Barth, Dallas FSC 126.28 4 3 (82.06 FS)
Lindsay Wang, Los Angeles FSC 124.55 3 4 (78.00 FS)

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Top Total Scores After 3 of 8 Events

SENIOR WOMEN OVERALL (TOP 9 once all 8 comps done make Nationals)

(byes- Tennell, Liu, Bell, Chen, Glenn, Levito, Thorngren, Andrews, Shin)
Gabriella Izzo 183 E
Hanna Harrell 171 E
Finley Hawk 164 M
Alena Budko 163 P
Wren Warne-Jacobsen 162 M
Sonja Hilmer 157 M
Maryn Pierce 156 M
Sierra Venetta 153 P
Maxine Bautista 148 M
Paige Rydberg 146.73 M
Courtney Hicks 146.21 P
Alex Evans 144 P

Yet to skate/score- Gracie Gold E, Emilia Murdock P, Heidi Munger E, Rena Ikenishi E, Ting Cui E, Pooja Kalyan M, Emily Zhang E, Sarah Jung E

SENIOR MEN OVERALL (Top 10 make Nationals)
(byes- Chen Zhou Brown Naumov Paniot Tomoki Camden Malinin)
Eric Sjoberg 227 P
Liam Kapeikis 194 P
Sebastien Payannet 193 P
William Hubbart 184 E
Mitchell Friess 182 M
Jordan Moeller 171 M

Yet to skate/score- Emmanuel Savary M, Jimmy Ma E, Andrew Torgashev M, Dinh Tran P, Ryan Dunk E, Eric Prober E, Artur Dmitriev ?

JUNIOR WOMEN OVERALL (Top 15 make Nationals)
Clare Seo 179 M
Mia Kalin 177 P
Josephine Lee 166 P
Soho Lee 164 P
Hannah Herrera 156 P
Elsa Cheng 154 M
Abigail Ross 152 P
Hannah Lofton 150 M
Kendall Erne 135 M
Ria Basu 133.98 M
Maria Platonova 133.72 E
Adele Zheng 133.03 M

yet to skate/score- Ava Ziegler E, Kate Wang P, Kanon Smith P, Sarah Everhardt E, Gwen Bloesch E, Tamnhi Huynh M

JUNIOR MEN OVERALL (TOP 15 make Nationals)
Matthew Nielsen 194 M
Kai Kovar 190 P
Will Annis 175.98 E
Taira Shinohara 175.84 M
Beck Strommer 172 M
Maxim Zharkov 168.99 M
Michael Xie 168.30 P
Goku Endo 162 P
Daniel Borisov 150 M
Nhat-Viet Nguyen 149 M
Joseph Klein 148 M
Philip Baker 146 E

Yet to skate/score - Daniel Martynov M, Lucas Broussard P, Samuel Mindra P, Jacob Sanchez E

NOVICE MEN (top 3 make Nationals in Junior)
Antonio Monaco 149
Lake Liao 147
Vaclav Vasquez 139
Matthew Lin 133

NOVICE WOMEN (top 3 make Nationals in Junior)
Elyce Lin-Gracey 160
Sonia Baram 156
Phattaratida Kaneshige 154
Katie Shen 145

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Top Total Scores After 3 of 8 Events

SENIOR WOMEN OVERALL (TOP 9 once all 8 comps done make Nationals)

(byes- Tennell, Liu, Bell, Chen, Glenn, Levito, Thorngren, Andrews, Shin)
Gabriella Izzo 183
Starr Andrews 177
Hanna Harrell 171
Finley Hawk 164
Alena Budko 163
Wren Warne-Jacobsen 162
Sonja Hilmer 157
Maryn Pierce 156
Sierra Venetta 153
Maxine Bautista 148
Paige Rydberg 146
Courtney Hicks 146
Alex Evans 144

Yet to skate/score- Gracie Gold, Emilia Murdock, Heidi Munger, Rena Ikenishi, Ting Cui, Pooja Kalyan, Emily Zhang, Sarah Jung
Do we know for sure if Levito is skating senior at Nationals?

Also - might I suggest denoting Andrews' appearance on the scores list with an * or in italics since she now has a bye to Nationals? 💐 Seems like 165+ is going to be the minimum score any of the skaters yet to compete need in order to make it to Nats, possibly even 170+.

Stephanie

The selection for nationals doesn't just go by rank order of top scores in the nation. For senior singles skaters it's the top 2 scores per section (6 total) and then the next best top three 3 scores from the nation in the U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series. In juniors, it's the top 3 scores per section and then the remaining 6 spots (assuming no byes) go down the list nationally by score.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The selection for nationals doesn't just go by rank order of top scores in the nation. For senior singles skaters it's the top 2 scores per section (6 total) and then the next best top three 3 scores from the nation in the U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series. In juniors, it's the top 3 scores per section and then the remaining 6 spots (assuming no byes) go down the list nationally by score.

For the Senior Men, right now, it will be the next best 4 scores from the nation because there are only 8 byes to Nats at the moment - this could change if Ma is assigned to CS Golden Spin as a 3rd international assignment.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
True, thanks, and I should add in section so we can keep track of that. I had been working out the seniors a bit over the last few weeks and figured out that there could be likely 2 per Section in the top scores so it may not end up mattering much but it should be interesting to see if 2 Pac skaters can end up in the top 9 for Senior Women. Personally, with COP, and with skaters often representing different clubs than where they train, I think there is no need to enforce quotas per section anymore. It all feels pretty meaningless. But that's just me, and old habits die hard.

Sylvia

TBD
FYI @haribobo, just noticed you have Courtney Hicks as "P" (she used to represent All Year FSC in CA) but she's now Broadmoor SC in the Midwestern section. Thanks for compiling/posting your lists in this thread!

This local Virginia article for the Championship Series singles qualifier, Oct. 27-30 at the Ion International Training Center in Leesburg, VA, says Gracie Gold and Ilia Malinin (who trains in VA) are registered to compete:

wickedwitch

FYI @haribobo, just noticed you have Courtney Hicks as "P" (she used to represent All Year FSC in CA) but she's now Broadmoor SC in the Midwestern section. Thanks for compiling/posting your lists in this thread!

This local Virginia article for the Championship Series singles qualifier, Oct. 27-30 at the Ion International Training Center in Leesburg, VA, says Gracie Gold and Ilia Malinin (who trains in VA) are registered to compete:
I wouldn't be surprised if Ilia doesn't compete. He would have had to register before he knew he qualified for the JGPF.

OTOH, if he wants senior experience, since he doesn't have to go far, he may compete.

Stephanie

I wouldn't be surprised if Ilia doesn't compete. He would have had to register before he knew he qualified for the JGPF.

OTOH, if he wants senior experience, since he doesn't have to go far, he may compete.
He could do like Mariah and just compete the SP to get more experience doing a SP with quads (which he couldn't do on the JGP).

Sylvia

TBD
He could do like Mariah and just compete the SP to get more experience doing a SP with quads (which he couldn't do on the JGP).
Right, like Malinin did successfully in a Richmond, VA club competition last month: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/30123/SEGM004.html
The qualifying competition judges & tech. panel often include some national and/or international officials so the feedback can be useful.

And it would be good to compete his senior programs before his ISU Challenger debut in Graz, Austria, Nov. 11-14.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information