U.S. Pairs 2021-22 season - News & Updates, Part X

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Just a lot of nonsense about how Jackie Wong should have known, and why didn't so and so do this or that, etc. Their usual gossip and self-righteousness.
A tweet was also deleted stating something about how they were removed from the official hotel in the morning (Something like that). My guess is that tweet suggests they knew of the positive test before the Junior Pairs event which would open a can of worms for USFS I would think.

sk8nlizard

Lord, Hersh needs to STFU. He replied to his tweet with this gem... https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1478921994561327108

Do Nathan and Mariah even share the same ice/practice sessions with K/F or C/J?
If You are vaxxed, the US does not require quarantine. I don’t know why people are pushing for others to withdraw due to close contact. Honestly, if this is a mild case and they both get it, at least K/F would have increased immunity for Beijing.

Mayra

Maybe the USFS is just acknowledging what so many of us have already figured out... You can get Omicron anywhere, from anyone, and it's probably going to be a mild case if you're vaccinated. At least they are still making the teams/skaters withdraw if they do test positive.
Maybe they should have gone the Canadian route and saved themselves the headache? :shuffle:

At the end of the day though, how severe the variant is, isn't going to matter when the time comes to test and get into the competition bubble in Beijing. A positive test will be a positive test.

yeslek

If You are vaxxed, the US does not require quarantine. I don’t know why people are pushing for others to withdraw due to close contact. Honestly, if this is a mild case and they both get it, at least K/F would have increased immunity for Beijing.
My thoughts haha. If it’s mild it’s one less thing US FS had to worry about in Beijing.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Maybe they should have gone the Canadian route and saved themselves the headache? :shuffle:
What good does removing spectators from the arena do? Brandon still needed to travel to Nashville. It's not like he could avoid any and all contact with people and drive from LA to Nashville.
At the end of the day though, how severe the variant is, isn't going to matter when the time comes to test and get into the competition bubble in Beijing. A positive test will be a positive test.
And he has about 18 days to test negative. Hopefully he will be able to do so. I do have to agree with those who think that keeping them out of the Team Event might be wise, if this is a more serious case like the one Ashley had last summer.

Mayra

What good does removing spectators from the arena do? Brandon still needed to travel to Nashville. It's not like he could avoid any and all contact with people and drive from LA to Nashville.
I meant the fact that they aren't testing skaters for Canadian Nationals.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I meant the fact that they aren't testing skaters for Canadian Nationals.
Ohhhh! Gotcha! I suppose a "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" approach might have been far less of a PR nightmare.

rhapsody

You called her out by name so as NOT to pin it on her? Interesting rhetorical technique.

You got it toots! ;)

Coughing doesn't imply C19 anymore than it implies a basic cold. :rolleyes:

And, by your logic, should all of the SCOB skaters be presumed to have C19 also since they've been wearing masks during their practices, including their program run-throughs?

I will grant you that she (and probably Chris, as her spouse) should not have been at the arena today, even if they were merely waiting on Brandon's test results to come back. I'm not sure that restricting Meno & Sand from the arena is feasible since they have so many junior and senior pairs teams that they are coaching, though I suppose they could have found someone to assist with the coaching duties until they at least had negative tests come back.

Maybe the USFS is just acknowledging what so many of us have already figured out... You can get Omicron anywhere, from anyone, and it's probably going to be a mild case if you're vaccinated. At least they are still making the teams/skaters withdraw if they do test positive.

There were also judges who were informed early on today about a positive test regarding them that got around so that paired with the masks was pretty telling.

No you don’t need a negative ********* test to fly from Los Angeles to Nashville. It’s not an international flight.

I would link the information on the two on the risk of flying on planes but I’m tired of doing it. Let’s just say your risk is not the plane your risk is the grocery store.

And yet Brandon is still positive despite those low risk odds. 🤷‍♂️ The point I was trying to make is that by not staying put, anything you do puts you at risk of contracting it and there were plenty of opportunities to get sick.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I miss out on a few hours and now this thread is overtaken with the same nonsense that was just being discussed yesterday in lieu of the comments about Cain probably not being vaccinated, even after she said she was. The suppositions on this board are beyond crazy.

I guess we can talk about the fact that he was tested to begin with rather than just assuming all skaters are good to go...

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I miss out on a few hours and now this thread is overtaken with the same nonsense that was just being discussed yesterday in lieu of the comments about Cain probably not being vaccinated, even after she said she was. The suppositions on this board are beyond crazy.

I guess we can talk about the fact that he was tested to begin with rather than just assuming all skaters are good to go...
If you are addressing me asking a question all I got for you is :rolleyes:

tony

If you are addressing me asking a question all I got for you is :rolleyes:
What are you talking about? I'm not addressing anything you've said in this thread from the moronic suppositions I see here. But okay. :rolleyes:

beckab81

They have both addressed it on Instagram, and described all the precautions they took. Heartbroken for them and any other skaters who miss out on this opportunity, and hope Brandon is able to recover quickly.

Alexa probably benefits from having had her booster so recently, hopefully they all stay safe.

olympic

K/F should be OK for Beijing if they petition and make the team. Brandon has more than enough time to seroconvert to negative, and they should be more immune for the next couple of months.

JC. If this is happening here, I gotta wonder how many Russian skaters will have YKW after seeing the maskless crowds and skaters clustering at Russian Nats.

clairecloutier

K/F should be OK for Beijing if they petition and make the team. Brandon has more than enough time to seroconvert to negative, and they should be more immune for the next couple of months.

People who have CV19 may still test positive weeks or even months later--way beyond the time when they're symptomatic or contagious.

stjeaskategym

Devastating. Nationals won't feel complete without our top pair, but I will feel much better if their petition is accepted (as it deserves to be) and they are given every possible opportunity to show readiness for both the Olympics and the Team Event. Earlier in the thread I dissected all the US pairs scores to help show that Alexa & Brandon are our best choice for the team. There's nothing that could happen at US Nationals that would change my feeling on that.

Alexa said she's doing the best skating of her life, and I could see that in the way she was practicing. She posted a runthrough of a recent LP and it was so fantastic that I just feel even more sad now. This pair has such great potential and athleticism and no real weaknesses. I would have been surprised if they didn't win this Nationals. I'm praying USFS accepts their petition so that our Olympic selection can be based on pair skating and international scoring history and not who is lucky enough to be last man standing.

I'm relieved USFS has such a good and detailed Selection Procedure document these days that is based on international scoring far more than Nationals. If they are truly following that document, K/F should have a spot of the team as our clear best international pair that is in a higher Priority Grouping. The are the only US pair that has ever shown consistency in scoring over 200 points, and they have plenty of room to grow.

Alexa was in a similar predicament in 2017- she wasn't recovered from her surgery in time for Nationals, but they were named to the World/4CC teams and competed there on limited training time and were the US's best pair at both. So she has experience handling these situations well.

It would be wise to solidify selection for the Team Event at a later date after giving Alexa/Brandon a chance to be monitored. There's no rush in determining that. The Team Event SP is especially important, and their SP scores were clear best among US pairs. There were so many lower scores by the other US pairs, that it really solidified K/F being the best choice there.

No, they said Jackie SHOULD have known. Why they think that, or mentioned him at all, I don't know.

Jackie clearly didn't know about the situation because he remained in the practice arena through an ice-resurface waiting to watch Knierim/Frazier practice and then expressed surprise at them not being there. Hours later he still thought K/F were competing. So obviously he didn't know much before everyone else did. And what would it even matter if he did. I wasn't sure what Dave was getting at. During distressing times, it's easy to want to lash out at people, and Jackie was the target.

I was fixated on Yesterdays Pairs session where Alexa was the only one on the rink with a mask on. I thought that was thoughtful of her but I found it was weird that she would have one on and not Brandon… And then watching the ladies practices just now a lot of people had a mask so I just thought maybe there was nothing to it then. But who knows

I think Alexa wore a mask during a gala practice at GP France, so it seemed normal enough to see her in a mask here. She had been doing everything in her power to try to stay safe-- I remember her tweeting about getting groceries delivered and it seemed like she wasn't even leaving her house at all leading up until Nationals aside from going to train.

Skaters aren't required to wear a mask while skating or during anything overly strenuous, so Brandon not wearing one on the ice is totally understandable especially in pairs. It's often nobody's fault when someone gets sick, it's clearly just going around now and there's sadly nothing we can do to fully protect the athletes. It's very sad for them to get dreams crushed over something that often tends to just be cold symptoms. Think of how easily the common cold spreads.

Why the suspicion--how about hearing the excessive coughing on the practice ice and her wearing a mask? If it was Brandon on the other hand, it would be even more irresponsible considering the fact that he wasn't wearing a mask at all. IMO, if it makes you feel better I can just say Alexa/Brandon--I didn't mean to exactly pin it on her but regardless of who, BOTH should NOT have been in the arena even if only one tested positive because everyone in close contact including their coaches should be isolating right now.

You made a lot of wrong assumptions. Both skaters tested negative before getting on the plane. They had to present a negative test to USFS, not the airport, to get into the competition. They practiced Tuesday night. Brandon went to get tested Wednesday and it was positive, so they didn't go to that day's practice. Alexa wasn't in the arena for Jr pairs, she tweeted a photo during it where she was watching on a TV.

olympic

sk8nlizard

My understanding is that this has to do with availability of testing in Canada.
True, but if they are all around each other and asymptomatic spreading it to each other, that’s no safer than US Nationals. I mean they all had to fly there, and are in hotels together. Is the hotel in Canada just for the people competing? I mean, Brandon is vaxxed and boosted according to Instagram and had a negative test before leaving, which is more than the Canadian competitors are required to have.

tony

True, but if they are all around each other and asymptomatic spreading it to each other, that’s no safer than US Nationals. I mean they all had to fly there, and are in hotels together. Is the hotel in Canada just for the people competing? I mean, Brandon is vaxxed and boosted according to Instagram and had a negative test before leaving, which is more than the Canadian competitors are required to have.
The Canadians competitors have to be vaccinated to enter the rink. But yeah, the lack of testing availability is going to make this no safer in terms of risk while getting from A to B, and for those athletes, they are risking infection even closer to the Olympics.

sk8nlizard

The Canadians competitors have to be vaccinated to enter the rink. But yeah, the lack of testing availability is going to make this no safer in terms of risk while getting from A to B, and for those athletes, they are risking infection even closer to the Olympics.
Yep, I knew they had to be vaxxed, I was saying that Brandon basically took more precautions than are required at Canadian nationals and still caught it.

mackiecat

However in Canada, you must be vaccinated to fly, to enter the hotel, there is no indoor dining, no food at all allowed in rink, except water during practice and events, so all masked at pretty much all the time at rink And much higher overall vaccine rates. Masks are required in all indoor settings . Lots of people wear them outdoors too.

Allskate

However in Canada, you must be vaccinated to fly, to enter the hotel, there is no indoor dining, no food at all allowed in rink, except water during practice and events, so all masked at pretty much all the time at rink And much higher overall vaccine rates. Masks are required in all indoor settings . Lots of people wear them outdoors too.
I don't think any set of rules is going to be entirely fail-safe. And there are some people who simply will refuse to follow the rules. But, I agree that the rules do help. And rules can set a culture and a sense of understanding if explained properly. (Masking practices do vary a lot around the world and not necessarily because of the amount of spread.) I know plenty of people who will insist that they are being very careful because they are doing what is legally required and what others are doing. My sister says she is being very careful and following all the rules. She is following the rules, but she took her unvaccinated kids to a restaurant two days before they went to stay with the in laws for a big family Christmas get together that included four elderly family members in poor health. Similarly, she planned to go to a New Year's Eve party until the host canceled due a COVID infection.

I will bet that there are plenty of skaters who thought they were being very careful because they wore their masks on the plane and only took them off in the crowded airport restaurant or designated hotel eating area to eat and drink surrounded by people doing the same, which is permitted but much riskier behavior. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that we don't see a lot more infections with the skaters and the visitors. What Brandon and Alexa are going through is so sad, though I realize that there are others who are suffering more severe effects of the virus.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Attached is a very interesting article about Timothy Le Duc, whose fundamentalist parents tried to have him exorcised because he is homosexual.

First out winter olympian? What's Eric Radford? Chopped liver? And there was another out athlete at the last games, American I think, who Eric connected with.

StitchMonkey

First out winter olympian? What's Eric Radford? Chopped liver? And there was another out athlete at the last games, American I think, who Eric connected with.

Eric to my knowledge is a gay man who identifies as a man and uses masculine he/him pronouns.

Timothy is a non-binary gay person who does not identify as a man specifically and uses gender neutral they/them pronouns.

And in case it comes up. Timothy prefers the term "lifting partner" to describe their role in the team.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information