U.S. Pairs 2018 - News & Updates, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amantide

I agree there's much improvement in A&C's skating in terms of power, speed, body awareness, improved concept, choreo and costume. They are showing more attention to line, and to intricate details. But I wouldn't say Aliona couldn't communicate well. She had to communicate well in order for A&C to show this level of improvement in their skating skills. They just need time and some coaching stability to put what they've learned altogether.

The reasons for the split are unclear, but possibly have to do with Aliona's comfort level in making a transition to coaching. She probably can't make a full commitment at this time, and A&C do need a full-time coach. We don't know what the understanding was on both sides when they leapt into this collaboration. But I think A&C should just take the positives from the experience and push forward. And the same goes for Aliona.

I'm just making a guess here cause obviously smth didn't work out, and it wasn't the technical aspect of coaching. But I'm in the dark as anybody else, which is fine. It's done now.

I wonder where should they go now, Canada?

aftershocks

Banned Member
I wonder where should they go now, Canada?

I mean they can surely choose to go anywhere, after making the leap of faith they made with Aliona in the off-season. As already discussed earlier in this thread, the issue with changing coaches this late in the season is timing and logistics for the coaches who may be interested in helping them. It's got to be mutually beneficial on both sides, so it could take time for the best decision to be made.

Obviously, Gauthier/Marcotte are excellent coaches, but is it the best decision for Alexa & Chris to make another move to an out-of-country locale? And might they need more guidance and attention than G/M can give? That might not be an issue, and it could be helpful to be surrounded by other high level teams pushing them. Of course, Montreal is closer to their homebase than Germany. Montreal is also closer to Chicago than a move to Florida would be. There's also Brubaker/Berton who are located in Chicago. The decision will surely be based more on making sure wherever A&C end up is the right fit. We'll see what happens.

Sylvia

TBD
USFS must have given D/F and K/O the option to travel directly from Grenoble to Tallinn. The Pairs SP & FS in Tallinn is currently scheduled for Wednesday to Thursday, November 28-29, 2018. It would be the second Challenger for both teams and the chance to gain additional ISU WS points/improve their rankings.

ETA:

Re-posting @Skittl1321's D/F question and @chachacha's reply from the Pairs general discussion thread in the TC to here:
Is Haven Denney injured? Was Denney/Fraiser performance today at SC expected? I haven't kept up...but it shocked me.
I watched practices and Denney was hitting her SBS jumps and throws. If she was injured you would think in practices it would show or why skate a Grand Prix while injured? Usually when you see skaters having great practices but can’t deliver in competition, it make one wonder if it’s the athletes mind that needs work to deliver in competition. If she had an injury practices would have reflected her being inconsistent. It’s a shame since I can see improvement in there overall skating. Haven hopefully can work on the delivering part in competition when it counts. It must be frustrating.

Last edited:

happycamper2554

I'm so excited that Tarah & Danny received another event this fall! :cheer:

I hope they do well. but my concern is that puts them in 3 competitions in 4 weeks after she is coming off an overuse injury. That seems like a lot for anyone. Of course it's a great opportunity for them to get standings points and hopefully some hardware.

hoptoad

I hope they do well. but my concern is that puts them in 3 competitions in 4 weeks after she is coming off an overuse injury. That seems like a lot for anyone. Of course it's a great opportunity for them to get standings points and hopefully some hardware.
It's definitely a concern. I think most skaters work harder physically both on and off the ice when they are at home training than when they are actually competing. Hopefully she stays injury free AND they get some WS points.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I think Tarah and Danny have been quite smart about their training regimen this summer so I'm not terribly worried about them. They have a great medical team helping them out in Colorado Springs (the main reason they switched coaching locations) and I don't think they would be doing that extra assignment if they didn't feel like they could handle it. I'm just excited to see their programs again! :cheer:

happycamper2554

I think Tarah and Danny have been quite smart about their training regimen this summer so I'm not terribly worried about them. They have a great medical team helping them out in Colorado Springs (the main reason they switched coaching locations) and I don't think they would be doing that extra assignment if they didn't feel like they could handle it. I'm just excited to see their programs again! :cheer:

Two weeks until NHK, i'm excited to see them too. I heard a rumor about a short program change for them, so i'm curious.

happycamper2554

:(The short program is the one I like. It is the one that is new.

That is what tsl said. I actually think that while the short is cool, it doesnt play to their stregnths. In my opinion they create charcters and stories really well. So the short doesnt do it for me. Especially compared to swan lake. Plus last time they scrapped the short mid season they won nationals so im hoping for a similar outcome.

mattiecat13

What were their old and new short programs? I like Tarah/Danny a lot and am rooting for them to have a successful season.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I hope the new coaching situation works out well for the Knierims. Glad they found someone.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I think it's still too early to say that a final decision has been made? I have heard that Todd Sand will accompany the Knierims to NHK Trophy and am glad they have lined up someone to coach them there.

Oh, I didn't know. I was just going off what @TanithandBenFan said.

Cleo1782

I would wait for an official statement from Alexa and Chris, but TSL is pretty spot on with coaching changes. I have heard the same: Chris and Alexa to Jenni and Todd and Tarah and Danny are getting a new short. And this was at least 5-6 days ago. There is a lot of talk that Alexa and Chris feel a bond with Jenni and Todd because they are both married pairs skaters.

happycamper2554

I would wait for an official statement from Alexa and Chris, but TSL is pretty spot on with coaching changes. I have heard the same: Chris and Alexa to Jenni and Todd and Tarah and Danny are getting a new short. And this was at least 5-6 days ago. There is a lot of talk that Alexa and Chris feel a bond with Jenni and Todd because they are both married pairs skaters.[/QUOTE

Do you know if they are going back to Shae Lynn? That seems logistically difficult at this point.

Cleo1782

Sorry. I don't know the music or the chreo details. I don't think they are going back to an old program. Also, I never heard it was all Dalilah wanting the change. I heard it got a pretty meh review at Champs Camp and they were kind of waiting to see how it scored.

Dobre

I liked it because it was not a "meh" typical U.S. pairs program. (No I am not trying to complain about the typical programs or even Delilah's typical programs--at the moment. I just liked that it was outside of the box, both for Tarah & Danny and for a U.S. pair team. Same with Alexa & Chris's programs this season).

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
FYI, Tarah & Danny will be on the cover of the next Skating Magazine and they look AMAZING on it (US Figure Skating announced it on FB today). I actually knew it was coming but I'm still super excited to see the pictures and read their article. Just thought you guys would want to know! :cheer: :biggrinbo :rollin:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I would wait for an official statement from Alexa and Chris, but TSL is pretty spot on with coaching changes. I have heard the same: Chris and Alexa to Jenni and Todd and Tarah and Danny are getting a new short. And this was at least 5-6 days ago. There is a lot of talk that Alexa and Chris feel a bond with Jenni and Todd because they are both married pairs skaters.

Yeah, Meno & Sand were obviously one of the coaching options. And, having skated under John Nicks and coached with Nicks, I feel Jenni/Todd are good coaches. They have had some decent teams, along with a very good team in Marley/Brubaker who had great potential, derailed by the unfortunate personal circumstances that Mary Beth needed to address and found overwhelming at her young age. Despite their age differences, Marley/Brubaker were delightful together and still memorable.

We never know what will happen, but I'm hopeful that Chris & Alexa working with Jenni/Todd will be a fruitful relationship on both sides. And yes, it could be a great advantage for Jenni/Todd being partners on and off the ice like Chris and Alexa. Hopefully, the Knierims can take what they learned from Aliona, continue to hone and craft, and then gain some mental approach strategies to competing from Meno/Sand (as well as consistency on sbs jumps) that will help them achieve their goals. Jenni/Todd strike me as mellow, purposeful, flexible and strict in their approach to coaching, which could be what Chris/Alexa need. And J/T should also be able to give C/A some devoted attention, without a lot of distractions.

Jenni/Todd also coach Calalang/Johnson, and I wonder if Serafini/Tran are actually still working together at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information