U.S. Pairs 2017 - News & Updates, Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I really enjoyed their SP today but dang, I'm glad it wasn't just me having a seizure over that camera work. I hope it's better for the LP tomorrow or I'm gonna have to take anti-nausea medication before watching it, LOL :lol:

I REALLY loved that lift! Wow, it went across the entire length of the ice, had like two or three changes of position, and he's holding her over his head with ONE HAND near the end of it. That was impressive! I cannot wait to see this program in San Jose! :cheer:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
The underrotation error on the twist didn't seem too egregious, surprised they got called downgrade, they must be looking at the takeoff and landing of the twist together. Despite their mistakes it is a good program and good fit for them.

Well the angle was terrible and that element didn't get shown in the replay, but it looked outrageously low. I am sort of surprised there isn't some kind of Knierim bootcamp they can't go through to fix that. I think having elements like that are what keep them from being seen as a top team. I do love them though and want them to win everything.

Cleo1782

Well the angle was terrible and that element didn't get shown in the replay, but it looked outrageously low. I am sort of surprised there isn't some kind of Knierim bootcamp they can't go through to fix that. I think having elements like that are what keep them from being seen as a top team. I do love them though and want them to win everything.

I honestly think 2 very serious injuries this quad on Tarah's end have kept them from being a top team. The 3twist was never their best element but they have been playing catch up. I think I heard Tarah just started doing throws in October, so the Olympic year is probably coming a few months too fast for them to be at full strength. I believe they intend to continue, so hopefully they will stay injury free and dominant the next quad. I don't think they are out of the running for the worlds or 4cc spot this year, though. And who knows? Strange things happen at Nationals in the Olympic year.

Cleo1782

Watching K/O at Golden Spin and I have to say they have my favorite SP and LP of all US pairs this year. Overall, the LP was very rough technically. They really didn't hit any hard elements, but on the bright side Tarah landed her 3sal and 1 of her 2a's in sequence. Unfortunately, you can see they are just behind on training. I really hope they keep this LP for next season! Their lifts were great too! I hope they can deliver well at Nationals, but I think they deserve so much credit for just coming back from a horrible injury. They definitely have an 'it' factor I appreciate.

semogal

I just finished watching Tarah and Danny's programs at Golden Spin. First, it was great to see them back on competitive ice. They are one of my favorite US teams and when they are "on" they are magical. But they are obviously not yet ready for prime time. When she fell on that throw in the FS and started sliding towards the boards, I had flashbacks to KC. Scary moment.

But I really like the programs. The FD has some amazing tricks in it and skated clean, has good scoring potential. I really hope they can skate well enough at Nationals to make the 4CC and Worlds team.

maureenfarone

I hope to see some improvement from Smith/Reiss at Nationals. They seemed very promising in 2016, but now seem to be really struggling. Hope to see some improvement with the coaching change over the summer.

insideedgeua

I hope to see some improvement from Smith/Reiss at Nationals. They seemed very promising in 2016, but now seem to be really struggling. Hope to see some improvement with the coaching change over the summer.

I’m hoping that they will be a bit of a surprise packet. Maybe not enough for the podium, but enough of an improvement for people to sit up and take notice. Their throws are huge.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Yep, I've always enjoyed watching Smith/Reiss. I think they looked very good in their first senior debut together, but then they began having a lot of problems with consistency and performance execution. There's so much that goes into being a successful skater, and twice as much when you're a pair skater! It's always a roller coaster ride for every team. The pairs is always my favorite event, even despite the U.S. not having teams who are considered highly competitive internationally. Hopefully that assessment and dismissal will begin to change.

I must say, the U.S. has some very talented and attractive pairs teams! I really enjoy them all, and I hope they can each have the opportunity to further develop their potential. Training issues and costs, making the right music selection and cutting, choreo decisions and costs, and so on and so on. I suppose if we could just be accepting and supportive of all these young teams on their journeys, no matter what happens, that would be a good thing.

insideedgeua

I suppose if we could just be accepting and supportive of all these young teams on their journeys, no matter what happens, that would be a good thing.

This, the bit above! I’d extend that the singles and dance too. I find so many fans terribly dismissive of skaters’ efforts.

They all work so hard, day in, day out. Many in the US would have still skated yesterday as it is so close to Nationals.

They know they sometimes have bad days or under rotate jumps, they are working on everything. They know the issues better than the fans do.

They’re not out to disappoint you, and a little more support for all skaters would go a long way.

Sylvia

TBD
This local Florida article on the 3 Ellenton senior level pairs -- Pfund/Santillan, Kayne/O'Shea and Stellato/Bartholomay -- was published back on Dec. 7th: http://www.observernews.net/2017/12...-olympics-at-ellenton-ice-and-sports-complex/

Here's a Falmouth, Maine article on local skater Franz-Peter Jerosch, age 16, and his Novice Pairs partner Jade Hom, 14 (from Massachusetts) who train in the Boston area Skate Pairs program: http://www.theforecaster.net/yarmouth-figure-skater-taking-another-leap-for-olympic-dream/

Thank you to @Limonite for finding & posting this link to a NBC Dallas-Fort Worth TV news piece on young Natasha Mishkutionok and her mother/coach in the M/D fan thread here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...enok-artur-dmitriev.95047/page-5#post-5221242

Sylvia

TBD
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/946078786910654465
#USChamps18 call: Haven Denney, @Brandon_F1992 say training is going well. Brandon: "I think we will have big smiles on our faces next week. We feel very light." Have changed order of elements in FS including 3 twist & pair spin, in order to help max death spiral & spin levels.
ETA:

Here's an article based on their media teleconference call earlier today: http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/haven-denney-poised-second-trip-olympic-games

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
There are some misstatements and misinterpretations in the local articles @Sylvia linked. It's always great to see fs coverage of any kind, locally and nationally. I wish the news outlets could try though to check write-ups for accuracy and correct interpretation. But I suppose misunderstanding the sport of figure skating is inevitable.

It's nice to hear about the two novice level skaters, Hom/Jerosch. But they clearly are focusing on 2022 to 2026 Olympics, not 2018. Do novice level skaters get a team jacket @Sylvia and become considered part of Team USA on the lower level, and gain some funding? If so, they are setting goals in that sense and preparing short term for their longer term Olympic goal. They will not be selected for the 2018 Olympic team if they place first, second, or third in novice pairs, as the writer mistakenly implies:

"The 2018 U.S. Championships serve as the final qualifying event before selecting and announcing the U.S. Olympic Figure Skating Team that will represent Team USA at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games. According to Jerosch, if he and Hom place first, second or third in San Jose, they’ll be selected for Team USA."

@Sylvia, does IN no longer offer free to fans audio clips of the media teleconferences with skaters?

Sylvia

TBD
"The 2018 U.S. Championships serve as the final qualifying event before selecting and announcing the U.S. Olympic Figure Skating Team that will represent Team USA at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games. According to Jerosch, if he and Hom place first, second or third in San Jose, they’ll be selected for Team USA."
Novice pairs that place 1st-3rd at Nationals would qualify for Team D envelope funding, which technically means being part of Team USA (what Jerosch is referring to, I assume). Skaters only receive a team jacket when they are assigned by USFS to an international competition.
@Sylvia, does IN no longer offer free to fans audio clips of the media teleconferences with skaters?
I didn't see audio recordings of any of the pre-Skate America media teleconferences included in the videos section of IN last month so maybe they're not sharing them anymore?

chachacha

I agree that Alexa and Chris will be the team to get the Olympic Spot and even if they have not so good performances at the US Championships they will get the lone spot. Lets face it, they have the political backing internationally and within the US and yes they have a beautiful twist but they really have not had good skates and have not landed a side by side jump as a team all season, but they have always struggled as do the other US Pair Teams in the Jumps. Hopefully they can contribute to the Team Event and have good strong skates during the Olympics and Worlds! It will be quite interesting to see if they will continue next season as well as the other teams that were actually on the Podium at Nationals last year. Hopefully their are some new teams coming up from the Junior ranks who will be able to move US pairs to the next level and can be competitive on the international scene. Can't wait to tune in next week even if the lone Olympic Spot is already determined. The Men and Ladies events will be the nail biter to see how that situation plays out!

Cleo1782

EXCELLENT! And I agree with all you said!!!!! Even Castelli & Tran :)

P.S. Knierims coulda skyped a performance into last year's Nationals and still won.

I think either a healthy Knierms or K/O would have easily won Nationals last year with even a so-so performance. It was not a very good long program event.....It's a shame both were injured.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I'm glad they included Tarah & Danny in that NBC Olympics article series. They're kind of the forgotten pair this year due to Tarah's injuries. I really don't have any expectations for them next week. I just hope they can skate two great programs and feel really good about themselves after all the struggles they've been through in the last year. I know they want to prove that they're finally on an upswing again with their career. I'm excited to see their programs in person and I'll be right there cheering loudly for them! :cheer:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Thanks @Sylvia for your responses, and for linking the NBC Olympics Team USA profiles. Cool! :cool: I love that there are so many profiles of the skaters up on Youtube/ posted on USFS Twitter, and other media outlets. I only wish the promotion of the athletes would continue throughout every season, as well as more promotion of the sport in a way that brings new followers.

If there was more interest and understanding of what the sport of figure skating is actually about, a larger audience in the U.S. might help bring us more and better ice shows. All of this works hand-in-hand. I also don't think TPTB realize how much they hurt the sport and shot themselves in the foot by purposely pitting eligible competitions against professional events. That was a wrongheaded catastrophe. Breathing life into professional competitions as well as figures competitions, can only help grow the sport as a whole. But, when speedskaters hold so much of the power in the ISU, and some feds are run by clueless figureheads, it's gonna take a long time for all the complicated problems figure skating faces to be resolved in a beneficial and productive way.

nimi

pairskatingfan

When do we start making predictions? I noticed there are only 15 pair teams now, down from 16... hopefully we don't have a litany of withdrawals like last year. I am ready to try to predict 1 all the way down to 15 :D

Sylvia

TBD
I noticed there are only 15 pair teams now, down from 16...

The Senior pair that withdrew was the new team of Jade Esposito/Rique Newby-Estrella, 2nd at Eastern Sectionals.

Their teammates, Allison Timlen & Justin Highgate-Brutman (making their senior national debut together), have side-by-side 3F in both programs. They didn't land the jump cleanly at Easterns but here's a nice set done in practice earlier this month: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc47f14F3PF/?taken-by=allisont.justinhb
Also sbs 3T+2T: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc2ypypFK7x/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information