U.S. Men 2023-24 news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
And Ilia's FS seems to have gone viral on social media. I've even seen his FS posted/re-posted by sources I'd NEVER in a million years think would post a figure skating video (like influencers who normally post about things as disparate as food and politics).

Some of my favorite of the comments posted: "I can simultaneously feel ("Succession" characters) Kendall crying and Shiv raging to this,"

"I haven't watched figure skating in about 20 years, but it's nice to see that audiences still start to clap along as soon as the music shows even the faintest hint of a rhythm,"

"Holy sh*t :eek: I don't know a damn thing about skating but that was... HOLY CRAP!"

"He's awful old not to have learned about gravity yet!"
:lol:

I saw that CBS News posted a clip of Ilia on their TikTok over the weekend. Mia Farrow even posted on X about him earlier today!
ETA that I had missed the fact that Succession composer Nicholas Britell, first(?) was made aware of Ilia using his music during Nationals and saw that he congratulated Ilia yesterday via his (Britell's) Instagram story - I've posted a screen shot in the fan thread.

I’ve been compiling news/article/related links in Ilia’s fan thread (including your earlier X post @peibeck): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/ilia-malinin-fan-thread.109289/page-16

Last edited:

DreamSkates

Hersh's post-SP article on Ilia and Jason:
Lots of talk about Ilia lacking artistry in the SP but he was only 2 points behind Shoma and it seems Soma’s quad flip gave him an extra 2 points. If Ilia had done a quad flip there could have been very similar scores.
Or am I looking at scores wrong?

skatingguy

decently
Lots of talk about Ilia lacking artistry in the SP but he was only 2 points behind Shoma and it seems Soma’s quad flip gave him an extra 2 points. If Ilia had done a quad flip there could have been very similar scores.
Or am I looking at scores wrong?
Shoma's lead in the short program was based on PCS - Malinin had a higher technical score. If Malinin had done a clean quadruple Flip he would have had the lead.

Marco

Shoma's lead in the short program was based on PCS - Malinin had a higher technical score. If Malinin had done a clean quadruple Flip he would have had the lead.
Ilia hasn't been doing the 4flip much this season, perhaps for a reason. He doesn't really need to be 1st after the short, he just needs to keep himself in contention (smart to leave out 4axel in the sp for example) and his massive BV lead in the free will carry him home if he delivers around 85%+, as it did here. And now that he is WC, he will probably get a bit more PCS recognition too going forward.

And wowza, I watched Ilia live and he was incredible. INCREDIBLE. He had no fear, no hesitation and just went for everything like it was nothing. Has his performance gone viral yet? Here's hoping the WC title doesn't give him extra pressure. I can't exactly see him upping the ante much further, other than perhaps switching the final pass into a 3axel-3axel if he rotates the opening 4axel.

Jason was stunning to watch too but that was predictable. :D I am glad the 3axels worked for him this week. The rest of the top ten are all gaining consistency with quads and overall skating so I don't know if his content can leave him in top 6 at Worlds in the coming seasons. I suppose we should just enjoy his skating as long as he is doing it. He isn't going to be able to finally nail the quads or compete frequently like Tuk did in 2005 so there really should be no expectations on him. I do hope to see interesting programs.

skatingguy

decently
Ilia hasn't been doing the 4flip much this season, perhaps for a reason. He doesn't really need to be 1st after the short, he just needs to keep himself in contention (smart to leave out 4axel in the sp for example) and his massive BV lead in the free will carry him home if he delivers around 85%+, as it did here. And now that he is WC, he will probably get a bit more PCS recognition too going forward.
I was answering a question about whether he would have led after the short program, not suggesting that he should do the quadruple flip.

Jammers

Next season is where Ilia really needs to work on his skating skills, speed and component elements since we all know he has all of the jumps. Show the judges you are more then just a jumper so you can become more complete and narrow the PCS disadvantage you have and you become nearly unbeatable. That's how Nathan did it.

skatfan

Next season is where Ilia really needs to work on his skating skills, speed and component elements since we all know he has all of the jumps. Show the judges you are more then just a jumper so you can become more complete and narrow the PCS disadvantage you have and you become nearly unbeatable. That's how Nathan did it.
He’s not just a jumper imo. I hope you noticed that he made good progress this season in all those non-jump areas. It’s clear he will continue to do so.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Yes, his free skate is already in the millions just 4 days later.
People are starting to do reaction vids - that's definitely a sign that he's gone viral.

I should totally send his FS to the CartierFamily guys and ask them to react.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Why does Yaroslav Paniot never get any love (or Grand Prix or Challenger Assignments) from the USFSA? He's been doing well at Nationals for quite a number of years now. I love his Quad flip and he's a natural entertainer.
Because he’s insanely overmarked domestically and the officials probably know those PCS will drop to 4s and 5s internationally? Of course it’s not that because USFS never seems aware of the boosts they give not applying to the ISU, but his marks belong there anyways. Zero choreography.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
People are starting to do reaction vids - that's definitely a sign that he's gone viral.

I should totally send his FS to the CartierFamily guys and ask them to react.
The private film that the Turkish guy is watching is a great complement to the official ISU/NBC/Peacock feed…I get more of the audience reaction…so much fun to hear the Turkish guy’s reaction. He loves the choreography & musicality too. Bravo!

cailuj365

Because he’s insanely overmarked domestically and the officials probably know those PCS will drop to 4s and 5s internationally? Of course it’s not that because USFS never seems aware of the boosts they give not applying to the ISU, but his marks belong there anyways. Zero choreography.

Whatttt, I loved Yaraslov's boogie choreography last year! I thought he was so hysterical. Perhaps not to everyone's taste and a lot of just dance choreography and not much actual skating skills...

Ilia's skate has really gone viral, and there's articles being written from major media outlets about how he's reaching beyond the sport. He could actually be a household name by the time of 2026 Olympics if he keeps this up and NBC and his agent play it right. The pressure would, no doubt, be huge, but I think he deserves the attention after a skate like that. It's honestly so unfortunate that US SOI doesn't have a tour this year as he just got a lot of attention, and it would have established him and Isabeau as the leaders of US Figure Skating and not just the newcomers behind the previous generation.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I’ve had several casual-friend fans ask me about him. I’ve consistently sent them to watch Kagayama as well!

NBC is so blessed this cycle if Ilia and Isabeau stay on track. Exciting/lovely skaters to watch with lots of personality and, to be shallow but accurate about what works, they’re both very attractive young people.

Gayo

I’ve had several casual-friend fans ask me about him. I’ve consistently sent them to watch Kagayama as well!

NBC is so blessed this cycle if Ilia and Isabeau stay on track. Exciting/lovely skaters to watch with lots of personality and, to be shallow but accurate about what works, they’re both very attractive young people.

Dobre

I have really enjoyed Yaroslav's development into an entertainer the last several years. One thing you notice when you see him live, though, is that his speed across the ice and in spins is much less than the guys competing for medals at Nationals. Some of his more basic skills are lacking, and that really hurts him despite the big jumps. As for seeing him compete, I agree that it would be nice to see him compete more.

Last edited:

Jessica

I just watched Ilia's free skate for probably the 10th time. I have a question that maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can answer.
His ChSq1 was element 9. I assume that he/his team designates this in advance. Why wouldn't they use the one that has his famous raspberry instead? It has a lot more impact.
Thanks in advance.

olympic

With regard to Ilia's reach outside the FS community -

I drag my spouse along on my FS journey and have to 'show' him performances (Look, look)

But he by himself fishes around on Youtube to find Ilia's program ... and actually expressed an interest in watching it again! you'd have to know him to understand what a BFD that is!

Sylvia

TBD
I didn't want to "spam" this thread so, ICYMI earlier:
I’ve been compiling news/article/related links in Ilia’s fan thread [and others too]... : https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/ilia-malinin-fan-thread.109289/page-16
Ilia's upcoming show schedule:

Stars on Ice in Yokohama, Japan this weekend, April 5-7.

“Kings on Ice” show in Tallinn, Estonia on April 9 - info is posted in this GSD thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/ice-shows-in-europe-2024.111697/

Ilia was added (announced on Feb. 28) to the Canadian Stars on Ice tour - April 25-May 16, 2024 (12 shows): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2024-canadian-stars-on-ice.111317/

Last edited:

carriecmu0503

I just watched Ilia's free skate for probably the 10th time. I have a question that maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can answer.
His ChSq1 was element 9. I assume that he/his team designates this in advance. Why wouldn't they use the one that has his famous raspberry instead? It has a lot more impact.
Thanks in advance.
A ChSq is unleveled, typically shorter/ less complicated than a leveled StSq, and has different criteria for garnering GOE. He does his raspberry in a leveled StSq in the short program. There is no ChSq in the short program; the long program has both a StSq and a ChSq.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
A ChSq is unleveled, typically shorter/ less complicated than a leveled StSq, and has different criteria for garnering GOE. He does his raspberry in a leveled StSq in the short program. There is no ChSq in the short program; the long program has both a StSq and a ChSq.
Yes, but I think the question is why didn't he do the raspberry twist in the ChSq during the FS instead of waiting until the end right before the final spin?

My guess is that, choreographically, he and Shae-Lynn thought the raspberry twist would have a greater impact near the end of the program where they placed it than in the designated ChSq.

skatingguy

decently
Thanks in advance.

Yes, but I think the question is why didn't he do the raspberry twist in the ChSq during the FS instead of waiting until the end right before the final spin?

My guess is that, choreographically, he and Shae-Lynn thought the raspberry twist would have a greater impact near the end of the program where they placed it than in the designated ChSq.
If you're a skater known for their jumps, and you've been told by the judges that you need to focus on skating skills, then demonstrating skating skills by doing a spread eagle, and a Ina Bauer during the choreo sequence instead of using a trick/jump element makes sense.

carriecmu0503

If you're a skater known for their jumps, and you've been told by the judges that you need to focus on skating skills, then demonstrating skating skills by doing a spread eagle, and a Ina Bauer during the choreo sequence instead of using a trick/jump element makes sense.
I don’t know how it is in other countries, but in the United States, judges are not allowed to tell skaters specifics of what they need to focus on, like skating skills. If they’re in a formal critique, you can give observations of why you may have given the skating skills mark you gave, but you can’t tell them what they need to do to get higher marks.

Debbie S

I don’t know how it is in other countries, but in the United States, judges are not allowed to tell skaters specifics of what they need to focus on, like skating skills. If they’re in a formal critique, you can give observations of why you may have given the skating skills mark you gave, but you can’t tell them what they need to do to get higher marks.
Judges are constantly giving top skaters feedback outside of comp. When skaters get to a certain level - usually when they first get named to ISP as Juniors but sometimes before that - they get a (usually local) judge as their "monitor," who stays in regular communication with the skater and their coach, may come and watch practice from time to time, shares feedback they have heard on the skater at comps on how they can improve, change their program if it's a dud, etc.

Then there are the official monitoring comps in the summer when skaters get critiques, and Champs Camp for the GP skaters. I'm sure Ilia and his coaches have heard plenty from judges about what they want to see in his programs and how he can build his reputation with the int'l judges.

carriecmu0503

Judges are constantly giving top skaters feedback outside of comp. When skaters get to a certain level - usually when they first get named to ISP as Juniors but sometimes before that - they get a (usually local) judge as their "monitor," who stays in regular communication with the skater and their coach, may come and watch practice from time to time, shares feedback they have heard on the skater at comps on how they can improve, change their program if it's a dud, etc.

Then there are the official monitoring comps in the summer when skaters get critiques, and Champs Camp for the GP skaters. I'm sure Ilia and his coaches have heard plenty from judges about what they want to see in his programs and how he can build his reputation with the int'l judges.
I am an actual judge with USFS. I know what I am allowed to do and what I am not allowed to do. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information