U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Is Alex located in NYC?
Yes. Link to Kelly Rippon's IG Live chat with Johnson this past April (part 2 - after the 11-min. mark he mentioned he moved to NYC this past February): https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cc6hgqrFIcL/
I don't see part 1 archived.

ETA - copying out Camden's post-Worlds FS quotes from the ISU's Quick Quotes document:

(on his performance today and 3 new ISU personal best scores in his Worlds debut) It feels still surreal... I think I’m still processing the fact that I’m actually at Worlds! When I skated that program I knew that I was well-trained for it. I’m just very thankful it happened and I was happy I could give myself a nice 22nd birthday gift (his birthday was on Friday). It’s my first full clean free skate.
(on his goals for the future) I still want to progress both technically and artistically, definitely working on other quads for these next four years and hopefully make the (2026 Olympic) team.
(on what this success at Worlds means) It just reinforces the fact that I can do it and I can contend for at least for top 10 (at Worlds). It’s a big confidence booster and I really hope to carry this energy into the next few years.
(on his summer training plans in Colorado Springs) Tentatively the plan is to get a real strong base over the summer and really be super fit so once I’m at Columbia (University) I’ll have a little more room to focus on school (studying financial economics). So over the summer I plan to train really hard, get new programs and really maximize the training I can get.

Last edited:

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
I love this move for Camden. Let's be real-- Tammy Gambill is one of America's classiest and well-dressed coaches, but getting Camden to 5th in the World is more than likely her ceiling as a coach. I do not see her taking Camden to the elite level, of which he does possess that level of natural talent.

I'm excited to see Camden progress and grow with Arutyunyan and Johnson.

SkateFanBerlin

I hope Camden continues to improve. He's very late starting with Raf. Raf says it always takes 2 years to get a result with him. How old will that make Camden? Is a doable goal to get him consistent with what he has - beautiful skating, 3A, 4T with combo? Similar goals to Adam - some grand prix medals, back to worlds with top 10 finish, on mext Olympic team. On the positive side Raf is backing out of coashing and heading to retirement. Maybe he sees some big potential in Camden - enough to take him on at such a late stage.

Sylvia

TBD
GS article on Ilia Malinin by Tatjana Flade (June 10): https://www.goldenskate.com/2022/06/ilia-malinin/
Excerpts:
The 2022 World Junior Champion, who is still studying in high school, visits Arutyunyan in California during school holidays to work with him.
“I talk regularly on the phone with Ilia, as well as his parents,” said Arutyunyan. “He has improved dramatically since I first watched him a couple years ago. We are already talking about going further and I would really like to see him work with Shae-Lynn (Bourne). She is such a unique choreographer and person and I think she could really take him higher.”
The coach went on to say that Malinin’s spins, basic skating skills, artistry, and presentation will improve with time as he matures.
For the 2022-23 season, the skater wants to change both programs. He is thinking of doing a Swing or Jazz style piece for the Short Program and slower music for the Free Skate, maybe even Japanese music.
“Not exactly because Worlds is in Japan,” Malinin said of the Free Skate music, “but because I had a program that was in Japanese style and it kind of didn’t work out. So I kind of want to redeem it.”

jlai

Question everything
A skater's placement is based on how others have skated. How do we know a coach's limit regarding their skaters' placement beforehand when it depends on how others have skated?
A coach with a skater with a world bronze -- not shabby credentials.
Not every coach is a Brian Orser

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Can we take a moment to consider what a great opportunity this is for Johnson, as a young coach, to work with Raf and learn more of his coaching philosophy and strategies? I appreciate that Raf is willing to share his knowledge and experience with coaches all over the country and help in developing the next generation.

sk9tingfan

Can we take a moment to consider what a great opportunity this is for Johnson, as a young coach, to work with Raf and learn more of his coaching philosophy and strategies? I appreciate that Raf is willing to share his knowledge and experience with coaches all over the country and help in developing the next generation.
And kudos to Raf. Two words: Succession Planning

Willin

@sk9tingfan Raf has talked a lot about training coaches. He's currently working with Adam and a few others (I don't remember who) and previously worked to train Ashley Wagner as a coach. I don't know if Ashley's working as a coach other than her Skate and Sculpt classes, but she did for a while.

DreamSkates

He has so much to share that can benefit skaters coming up and growing into senior and top level athletes. I appreciate that he has this vision given he said he’s on his way to not coaching.

Sylvia

TBD
Raf has talked a lot about training coaches. He's currently working with Adam and a few others (I don't remember who)
Nadia Kanaeva - here she is leading a stroking exercise (Gogolev, Torgashev, Matthew Nielsen, etc.): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdWBIkkKGRv/

Rippon is not planning a career in coaching (beyond helping out with Mariah this past season).

I expect Michal Brezina will take on an even bigger role with "Team Raf" now that he has retired from competition.

Willin

@Sylvia Yeah the Adam situation is a bit weird. He's getting trained by Raf and does help out with coaching a handful of others but doesn't seem to be fully committed to coaching.

soogar

@Sylvia Yeah the Adam situation is a bit weird. He's getting trained by Raf and does help out with coaching a handful of others but doesn't seem to be fully committed to coaching.
Adam still is trying to milk his 15 minutes. I think that in a few years, he may be ready to commit to coaching full time. I think that he would have a lot to offer since he trained with so many different coaches and his road to success was a long one.

Sylvia

TBD
Misha Ge has been choreographing new programs for U.S. skaters and sharing his concepts on his social media accounts - the men so far:

Eric Sjoberg SP to “Black & Gold” from Fame (assume it’s Sam Sparro’s cover used in the 2009 film): https://www.instagram.com/p/CaiZSFhvR97/
@Karen-W (for GP possible assignments reference; he's #70 on the ISU SB total scores list), Sjoberg's SP was choreographed back in February and I've seen him practicing 4S in his Instagram stories.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
March 15:
Update on Yaro Paniot - his latest Instagram story says he had surgery yesterday “to remove a bump” from his right ankle that was giving him pain and making it difficult to fit his foot into his skating boot.
Update on Paniot 3 months later - his latest Instagram story shows him stepping onto the ice at Great Park Ice yesterday & is captioned "First time."

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

YukiNieve

At one of SOI M&G, I asked Nathan and Mariah (they were sitting next each other) if Raf will be retiring anytime soon. They looked at each other laughing and told me something like (I don't remember their exact words) "he keeps saying that but no way!" :D

sk9tingfan

It is pretty much a given that Nathan will do Dancing with the Stars in the fall. They would be smart to invite Hubbell-Donohue, Cain-LeDuc or Alysa Liu.
IMO, given that he will be starting his junior year at Yale in New Haven, CT after a two-year hiatus, I don't see this happening. I think it's too much and too long of a commitment.

skatfan

IMO, given that he will be starting his junior year at Yale in New Haven, CT after a two-year hiatus, I don't see this happening. I think it's too much and too long of a commitment.
I tend to agree.

Nathan seemed very focused on getting back to school this spring and I’m hearing the budget for the show is going way down with its move to Disney+.

Sylvia

TBD
Tomoki Hiwatashi won the 2022 Peggy Fleming Trophy that was held in Colorado Springs on June 29 (re-posting here from the PFT thread in the Kiss & Cry section):
Loved Tomoki too. He skates like a wild horse out of the gate and does so many unique and eye popping moves. He had a fall during the footwork sequence…he was really going for it. He also singled an axel. But the panel awarded two bonuses to him
According to my Twitter follower (in Japan), Tomoki's music is Kyoran Hey Kids!! by The Oral Cigarettes. Tomoki skated to this music (the same program) for 4CC exhibition.
Fan cam of Tomoki's performance (thanks for finding it, Yuki!):

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information