5th annual Peggy Fleming Trophy returns as in-person event in 2022

Sylvia

TBD
Event info https://broadmoorskatingclub.com/2302-2/
The event will be held on Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 6:30 pm (currently listed as 6:20‐8:30 pm Mountain time on the schedule) at the Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs. Admission is free.

Entries (13) are posted: https://www.instagram.com/p/CfUs37ND2Hq/

Skaters were selected to enter through invitations by Peggy Fleming Jenkins and Chief Referee, Gale Tanger.

Alena Budko
Courtney Hicks
Sonja Hilmer
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Wren Warne-Jacobsen
Jordan Moeller
Liam Kapeikis
Emilia Murdock
Maryn Pierce
Clare Seo
Audrey Shin
Sierra Venetta
Kate Wang

Fingers crossed that -- if there isn't a livestream this year -- the event will be made available to be streamed on demand via USFS' Fan Zone video corner or another platform.

@mtnskater - hope you will be able to attend in person!

Last edited:

Evgeniafan

Event info https://broadmoorskatingclub.com/2302-2/
The event will be held on Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 6:30 pm (currently listed as 6:20‐8:30 pm Mountain time on the schedule) at the Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs. Admission is free.

Entries (13) are posted: https://www.instagram.com/p/CfUs37ND2Hq/

Skaters were selected to enter through invitations by Peggy Fleming Jenkins and Chief Referee, Gale Tanger.

Alena Budko
Courtney Hicks
Sonja Hilmer
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Wren Warne-Jacobsen
Jordan Moeller
Liam Kapeikis
Emilia Murdock
Maryn Pierce
Clare Seo
Audrey Shin
Sierra Venetta
Kate Wang

Fingers crossed that -- if there isn't a livestream this year -- the event will be made available to be streamed on demand via USFS' Fan Zone video corner or another platform.

@mtnskater - hope you will be able to attend in person!
I really want to see this. I like a lot of these skaters and I want to Kate Wang.

Sylvia

TBD
I received this reply to my inquiry yesterday: "There will not be a livestream of the PFT this year. We are hoping to release video coverage after the event, but stay tuned for more information on that front."

DreamSkates

I received this reply to my inquiry yesterday: "There will not be a livestream of the PFT this year. We are hoping to release video coverage after the event, but stay tuned for more information on that front."
After the event is better than not at all. I need some live/recorded new figure skating events to watch to escape from all the craziness in this world. Binging on Star Trek just isn’t enough!

Sylvia

TBD
Second group's skate order was Venetta, Budko, Kapeikis, Pierce.

SCORES SPOILER ALERT!

Don't
read
if
you
don't
want
to
know
the
unofficial
scores
so
far

Hiwatashi 111.47
Seo 99.71
Budko 94.54 - "Send in the Clowns" (USFS' Insta story)
Hicks 89.29 - see above for her music
Venetta 85.45 - "No Ordinary Love" performed by John Legend
Pierce 80.42
Murdock 74.20
Kapeikis - random fall near beginning & had to withdraw :(

Final group: Hilmer, Wang, Moeller, Warne-Jacobsen, Shin

Sylvia

TBD
Unofficial final standings:

Hiwatashi 111.47
Shin 107.50 - "a familiar film soundtrack" see post below
Hilmer 101.29 :) - was told her program was creatively self-choreographed as usual
Seo 99.71
Moeller 97.58 - self-choreographed, included an inside Axel-double toe combo
Budko 94.54 - "revelation of the event"
Warne-Jacobsen 94.25 - "something Spanish"
Wang 91.90 -"classical music that is nice"
Hicks 89.29
Venetta 85.45 - "No Ordinary Love" performed by John Legend
Pierce 80.42
Murdock 74.20 - yes, West Side Story is her SP music this season
WD: Kapeikis

Last edited:

YukiNieve

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I love Kate Wang’s dress and overall style. She’s really grown into a beautiful skater.

Congratulations to Tomoki! I hope that this is but the start of a great year for him.

mtnskater

I made it down to Colorado Springs to see the Peggy Fleming Trophy in person. The event was a lot of fun. No charge for tickets. The crowd was a bit sparse but enthusiastic for all the skaters. We sat right behind the judges and had a good view of Peggy Fleming and her husband who also sat on the panel. Peggy spoke to the audience before the event. The panel awarded bonus points for certain elements judged to be exceptional. Those were announced after the skater received his or her scores in the kiss and cry. A young man rang two cowbells when the bonus was announced and someone on the panel held up a sign as to what element the bonus was given for (footwork, signature move, etc.). I still found scoring and award of bonus to be a bit confusing. I also think the early skaters were judged more conservatively than many of the later skaters. I was surprised Clare Seo, one of the early skaters who skated beautifully and clean got no bonus. Tomoki was the last skater in the first group and the first to get a bonus (two actually). After that the judging panel was handing out bonus more readily…like the ice was broken.

Personally I enjoyed Audrey Shin, Tomoki Hiwatashi, Sonja Hilmer and Elena Budko the most. I felt they had the best artistic performances of the night. I was little surprised how high Jordan Moeller was placed. Though he is a quality skater I didn’t get much from his program and he mostly did double jumps. During the warm up he did a gorgeous inside to outside edge spread eagle sequence. I thought he would get a bonus for that but he didn’t put it in the program.

I would have placed Audrey Shin first. She skated cleanly with everything so beautifully done coupled with lovely moving interpretation of the music. She even opened her program with a triple toe/triple toe. She underrotated her fourth triple, a salchow. But wow is she all around impressive. I hope she can continue to improve on consistency because the quality of her skating is Olympic level. And she is a lovely artist.

Loved Tomoki too. He skates like a wild horse out of the gate and does so many unique and eye popping moves. He had a fall during the footwork sequence…he was really going for it. He also singled an axel. But the panel awarded two bonuses to him which gave him the edge over Audrey I think.

Sonja Hilmer was absolutely mesmerizing. What a creative artist with solid quality skating. She did fall twice. Once on a reverse camel spin and the other on her final triple loop. I’m pretty sure she did a triple salchow and then immediately jumped a reverse double axel out of it. But I’d like to review video to be sure what she did. The audience applauded loudly for the element.

I would have had Clare Seo in fourth. She skated early in the first group but her program was so lovely and of such quality and beautifully presented, it stood out for me. She looks like a future Olympian for sure. Her triples looked good with maybe one that looked underrotated. Many of the other skaters were doubling or even singling their jumps.

Alena Budko should have been a close fifth. Her presentaction was absolutely stunning and beautiful. She clearly felt the music, took her time with her movements, no rushing. Everything so well done including some triples. Outstanding!

Others of note:

Liam Kapeikis was off to an amazing start. He jumped right into a super deep edged besti squat timed perfectly to the music. We were all riveted. Them immediately on the next steps fell in front of the judges so I couldn’t see exactly what happened. He hit the boards and was holding his arm at the elbow and my husband thought he may have dislocated his shoulder…or I thought hit his elbow too hard. I’m SUPER glad the reports are he is okay. I would have loved to see the rest of that program. He has lovely, solid edges.

Kate Wang was lovely and is really improving artistically. Very nice to see. A couple of years ago she was a jumper but very shy with presentatio. Great to see the strides she has made. She also did a reverse spin, which always impresses me.

Emilia Murdock has lovely engaging skating and I can only think she was last because she skated first.

Before the event, we visited the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Hall of Fame and Museum. Michelle Kwan is featured in a large video in the lobby for new inductees, since she was just inducted last week. She also had her picture hanging from the street lamps outside the museum. Figure skaters are highlighted throughout the museum. One display in winter sports has Peggy Fleming‘s 1968 Olympics chartreuse dress and skates. Mirai Nagasu is featured in a video, as is Scott Hamilton. I saw a picture of Karen Chen, Brian Boitano, etc. The museum opened in 2020 so it is very modern and brand new…a stunning piece of architecture with the back drop of the Rocky Mountains behind it.

Sylvia

TBD
Unofficial final standings:
[6] Budko 94.54 - "revelation of the event" [quote passed along to me from someone watching in the arena]
Alena Budko should have been a close fifth. Her presentaction was absolutely stunning and beautiful. She clearly felt the music, took her time with her movements, no rushing. Everything so well done including some triples. Outstanding!
I found Alena's "Send in the Clowns" performance (fan cam): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNENtDbA9c8

ETA that Budko shared 5 fun photos with several of her fellow competitors on her Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfb76qDr0ha/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Sonja Hilmer was absolutely mesmerizing. What a creative artist with solid quality skating. She did fall twice. Once on a reverse camel spin and the other on her final triple loop. I’m pretty sure she did a triple salchow and then immediately jumped a reverse double axel out of it. But I’d like to review video to be sure what she did. The audience applauded loudly for the element.
Sonja Hilmer posted a clip of her cool 3S to reverse 2S (it's after the 3 photos): https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfap89CuBLK/
Her program was self-choreographed (not for competition) and featured two songs from Arcane (series on Netflix).

Audrey Shin posted photos with her fellow medalists & Peggy Fleming (3rd one is Sonja's selfie of them): https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfa1gheO_iL/

Kate Wang posted 3 formal photos, including 2 with Peggy Fleming: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cfpo2xLpe7z/
And 5 photos with her fellow female competitors on the ice after the event, plus 2 "silly" clips: https://www.instagram.com/p/CfaomDruiAi/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
OFFICIAL results from the Peggy Fleming Trophy (revised from the unofficial standings I had posted on 6/29):
Link to protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2022/60068/SEGM001.html

1 Tomoki Hiwatashi, DuPage FSC Buffalo Grove, IL 115.23
2 Audrey Shin, SC of New York New York, NY 110.21
3 Alena Budko, Winterhawks FSC Beaverton, OR 107.93 (moved up from her unofficial 6th place - she used "Send in the Clowns" for her U.S. Junior Team Cup FS this past weekend ETA and was presented with her PFT bronze medal there)
4 Sonja Hilmer, Centennial SC Colorado Springs, CO 106.97 (moved down one placement but, happily, I heard she got to keep her bronze medal that was presented on 6/29)
5 Jordan Moeller, Northern Ice SC Woodridge, IL 104.78
6 Clare Seo, Broadmoor SC Colorado Springs, CO 103.93 (moved down 2 placements)
7 Sierra Venetta, SC of San Francisco San Francisco, CA 101.29 (moved up 3 placements)
8 Kate Wang, SC of San Francisco San Francisco, CA 100.34
9 Wren Warne-Jacobsen, Go4Gold Shakopee SA 100.26 (moved down 2 placements)
10 Courtney Hicks, Broadmoor SC Colorado Springs, CO 98.17 (moved down one placement)
11 Maryn Pierce, Broadmoor SC Colorado Springs, CO 86.42
12 Emilia Murdock, SC of San Francisco San Francisco, CA 82.37
WD Liam Kapeikis, Wenatchee FSC Wenatchee, WA

Last edited:

mtnskater

Wow, Alena Budko moved up to third! She had one of the standout performances (and one of my favorites of the night) for sure but I wonder why the places switched?? Sonja equally as impressive. Will they award two bronze medals? Clare should have been higher too but she skated very early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information