U.S. Men 2020-21 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavi

Well I’m sure I’d he mentioned Vincent you would not have cared .

The only context you are able to understand is “he said something mean about Jason.”
Thanks so much for the entertainment but your fandom is getting old.
Carolla darling, as someone who parses words and makes arguments for a living, I assure you my knowledge of rhetoric isn’t limited to “he was mean to Jason,” and I’d suggest you not make assumptions about what I do and don’t care about. I’ve had you on ignore for ages so I’m not quite sure how I ended up seeing and responding to your recent posts, but I can assure you I’ll think twice before doing so again. In the meantime, you can always ignore me. 😊

VGThuy

Men's entries for World Team Trophy

USFS is sending Chen and Brown, with Pulkinen and Zhou as substitutes.

I guess this means that they would send Pulkinen to Nebelhorn if the nomination deadiine were today.
I mean were the other four men who placed above him at Nationals not available or are they just that enamored with Camden? Maybe it was a favor to Karen, our third spot whisperer.

Sylvia

TBD
The original alternates for Worlds were (in order): Hiwatashi, Naumov, Pulkinen. Naumov was later removed (at his request, I heard unofficially) and Jimmy Ma became 3rd alternate.

The fact that Tomoki was not listed as an alternate for WTT likely means he is not competition ready or declined, like Naumov reportedly did for Worlds.

ETA that I just realized Pulkinen is currently the 3rd highest U.S. man (behind Nathan & Jason) in the ISU World Standings at # 19 (because from 2018-2020 he had the maximum number of competitions for ISU points).

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

jiejie

Checking out the new Intl Selection Pool for next season-men's. Paniot's not on but that's to be expected, USFS can't add him until he's officially released by Ukraine....but I'm sure he'll get added. Missing: Andrew Torgashev. Anybody know what's going on with him? His retirement would be very :cry:

jlai

Question everything
Checking out the new Intl Selection Pool for next season-men's. Paniot's not on but that's to be expected, USFS can't add him until he's officially released by Ukraine....but I'm sure he'll get added. Missing: Andrew Torgashev. Anybody know what's going on with him? His retirement would be very :cry:

He didn't compete this season so I guess he will have to compete this Sumer to get added? Just guessing

Sylvia

TBD
Andrew sounded like he's looking forward to competing again next season:
Polina's latest podcast conversation (March 2) is with Andrew Torgashev:
There are 28 men currently listed in the ISP - I've noted the 5 newly added ones below:

Lucas Altieri
William Annis
Lucas Broussard
Jason Brown
Nathan Chen
Jonathan Hildebrandt (new; U.S. Championship Series 2nd in Novice FS)
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Nicholas Hsieh
Joseph Kang
Liam Kapeikis
Joseph Klein
Alex Krasnozhon
Jimmy Ma
Ilia Malinin
Daniel Martynov
Samuel Mindra
Maxim Naumov
Matthew Nielsen
Eric Prober (new; 2021 Junior champion)
Camden Pulkinen
Jacob Sanchez (new; 2021 Junior pewter medalist)
Eric Sjoberg
Beck Strommer (new; U.S. Championship Series 1st in Novice FS)
Dinh Tran
Michael Xie
Robert Yampolsky
Maxim Zharkov (new; 2021 Junior men's competitor)
Vincent Zhou

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan (1st place) and team captain Jason (3rd) skated excellent short programs at World Team Trophy in Osaka to pull USA up to 2nd overall (2 points behind Russia) after Day 1.

Jason looked thrilled to be able to skate his "Sinnerman" SP (94.86) in front of a half-full arena - here's a pre-WTT article by Lynn Rutherford that includes quotes from Rohene Ward and a dancer/teacher about Ward's Alvin Ailey-inspired choreography:
Excerpts:
... Ward thought it was time to honor Alvin Ailey (1931-1989), founder of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and choreographer of “Revelations,” a landmark work telling elements of the Black American experience through modern dance. ...
“I knew this was a special piece of music, it was a special time, and I knew Jason was special,” Ward said, adding that although the skater is not Black, “He has been close to people in the African-American community for so long, he has a different perspective than some people would have. He has the ability to make people stop and watch him and feel something. It doesn’t matter the race, the sex or the age, or anything.”
“Sinnerman” appears in the third and final section of “Revelations” – “Move, Members, Move” – and is danced by a male trio. Ward chose Nina Simone’s jazz-infused version of the spiritual, with its propulsive beat, for Brown’s short program.
Brown announced he will keep “Sinnerman” as his short program next season, with hopes to compete it at the Beijing Games next February. Following the 2021 World Championships, where he placed seventh, the skater returned to Chicago to polish the program before the World Team Trophy.
“It still has a ways to go, and I’m definitely going to watch more Alvin Ailey pieces and continue to learn as much as I can from them,” Brown said, adding, “It’s all about the symbols, the shape, the lines. Alvin Ailey is such a modern, contemporary take on dance, unlike anything I’ve seen before with other styles. It’s really about this abstract movement on a piece of modern music.”
Nathan decided not to include the 4Lz in his WTT SP - his jumps were 4F, 3A, 4T+3T (not much flow out) - scored 109.65.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Just popping in to say how in love I am with Nathan Chen. He’s like Michelle Kwan with music selections .... always going for stuff I’ve never heard of .... and trust me I’ve been around. And year after year I’m searching his music online to download it. I am so enamored with his skating. He’s like the Michelle Kwan of a new generation. And then pepper in some Kristi Yamaguchi nerves of steel and it’s such a winning recipe!!!

To contrast I also like Jason’s skating but I always detest his music especially his free music this year ....slaughter on 34th St. 🎅🏼 or whatever. It’s one program I can’t wait for it to be over (solely because of the music) with which is a shame because I love his skating. I also don’t particularly care for the clothes he wears. But I am very proud of our US men.

Can’t wait to see what they skate to next year.

Last edited:

olympic

^In regards to personality, Nathan reminds me more than any skater out there of Michelle Kwan: For the most part, unhurried, unflappable, good peaking strategy, an 'I got this' attitude in the face of anxiety-ridden fans.

In regards to strategy though, Nathan and RA remind me of the Witt / Mueller team: They always seem to have an eye on what the competition is doing (Hanyu) and calculating what it takes to win, He ramps it up when the JPN men are doing well but backs off when it's either less important or the competition isn't quite up to par. ETA - the 4T-Eul-3F and 4L are examples of Nathan playing with jumps when Yuzu was committing to them, kind of the way in which Witt would skate to other people's music.

Last edited:

A.H.Black

To contrast I also like Jason’s skating but I always detest his music especially his free music this year ....slaughter on 34th St. 🎅🏼 or whatever. It’s one program I can’t wait for it to be over (solely because of the music) with which is a shame because I love his skating. I also don’t particularly care for the clothes he wears. But I am very proud of our US men.

Can’t wait to see what they skate to next year.
Slaughter on 10th Avenue was originally in a movie called On Your Toes in 1936 (who knew Eddie Albert was a dancer - I missed it). That is the same era as the great Fred Astaire movies. Jason seems to have used the Gene Kelly and Vera Ellen Words and Music in 1948 as his inspiration (the costume is a giveaway). This was 3 years before Kelly made An American in Paris - Slaughter on 10th Avenue is definitely a precursor to American in Paris. True, the music is not like much of the current music trend - I think of the current trend as sort of "stream of consciousness" in format. I like hearing music that has a particular structure. I have always liked "Slaughter on 10th Avenue". I think Jason did the music justice and looked great doing it. I like a change from the current trend - which has a certain monotony to it.

I hope the coming year brings out tons of good music - War horses and all.

Oh, by the way, Vera Ellen reminds me of Bradie Tennell - especially in White Christmas. Love it that she wears flats with Gene Kelly so her height doesn't overwhelm him.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Slaughter on 10th Avenue was originally in a movie called On You Toes in 1936 (who knew Eddie Albert was a dancer - I missed it). That is the same era as the great Fred Astaire movies. Jason seems to have used the Gene Kelly and Vera Ellen Words and Music in 1948 as his inspiration (the costume is a giveaway). This was 3 years before Kelly made An American in Paris - Slaughter on 10th Avenue is definitely a precursor to American in Paris. True, the music is not like much of the current music trend - I think of the current trend as sort of "stream of consciousness" in format. I like hearing music that has a particular structure. I have always liked "Slaughter on 10th Avenue". I think Jason did the music justice and looked great doing it. I like a change from the current trend - which has a certain monotany to it.

I hope the coming year brings out tons of good music - War horses and all.

Oh, by the way, Vera Ellen reminds me of Bradie Tennell - especially in White Christmas. Love it that she wears flats with Gene Kelly so her height doesn't overwhelm him.

I agree with you that I don’t appreciate the monotonous music choices a lot of pairs and single skaters are using these days and I appreciate a different direction, just not that direction. LOL

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan's Instagram story in reply to Philip Glass' Instagram post yesterday: "An honor to use your music"

ETA:
Not surprisingly, Nathan opened his Rocketman exhibition program (overnight Sunday in Osaka) with the 4T+1Eu+3F combo that he missed in his WTT free skate ;): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNzlFRhJEb2/

His encore was part of his Caravan SP from last season: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNzppvfpQO4/
Jason's spellbinding WTT EX to "Melancholy" by Alexey Kosenko was choreographed by Rohene Ward (debuted at Peggy Fleming Trophy last summer and also performed in the 2021 Nationals gala): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNzO-R_pc1m/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Jason just tweeted he is bringing back Schindler's List (FS that he didn't get to skate at 2020 Worlds; choreo. by David Wilson) and "Sinnerman" (article about his SP choreography by Rohene Ward is linked in post #310 above) for the Olympic season: https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/1387222713551527947
Feels right - これらが しっくりきます

2021/2022
#schindlerslist
#sinnerman

Last edited:

dinakt

Jason just tweeted he is bringing back Schindler's List (FS that he didn't get to skate at 2020 Worlds; choreo. by David Wilson) and "Sinnerman" (article about his SP is linked in post #310 above) for the Olympic season: https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/1387222713551527947
While I always look forward to new programs by Jason, it is a great choice. Especially if it gives him a chance to solidify tech.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Attaboy, Jason, great choices!
You already love both pieces, so it should be easy to go for the top in both!

I agree. So it’s the same short program as this year? And the long program from last year? I don’t mind either of those. As long as he ditches this year’s free program

Sylvia

TBD
Fan Zone article on Vincent Zhou by Darci Miller (May 3):
Heading into the Olympic season, Zhou and his team are working to get him on track to reach the levels of success he's capable of. This past season, he finished second at 2020 Guaranteed Rate Skate America and the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships, but a rough short program left him 25th at the World Championships.
"Basically we're focusing on removing all the variables so that, when the time comes, I can focus on my own performance and actuate my thoughts," Zhou said. "I'm getting into shape earlier this season. I'm fixing my boots. I'm doing all I can to make sure that I'm training confidence and consistency, not, 'Maybe I can do this,' 'I'm not sure if I can,' 'I know I have the capability but there's just so many variables that I don't know that I can do it in the moment.'
"That's not what I want to be thinking when I'm going into what I describe myself as the most significant single event in my career, right?" he added with a laugh.
ETA:

Vincent shared this sponsored 1-minute IGTV video of him skating in the mobile game app "Time Princess" yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/tv/COjdrHindBF/
A follow-up to the Time Princess project with @igg.global, this time we visit Japan! @timeprincessen adds a new themed story to its library of unique stories! Watch this Time Prince's cosplay on ice!

TP is a unique game featuring lovely dress up elements alongside many classic stories with a twist. It is available on both Android & iOS.
Vincent's first skating video (2+ mins.) for this game was posted on their IG account - Swan Lake Prince Cosplay (January 24):https://www.instagram.com/tv/CKc08j-Bf1b/

Last edited:

YukiNieve

As Sylvia noted, Vincent Zhou did a promotion video for a role-playing game app "Time Princess" and portrayed a character of the game, Swan Prince, on the ice - which was choreographed by Joshua Farris! :love:

You can see Joshua and Ben (Agosto) with Vince here:

Joshua looks nice - I am happy to know that he seems to be doing well.

Spun Silver

Love Sinnerman - wish it was his long. Would be such a great signature piece for him. Schindler good too but just doesn't give chills like Sinner.
Speaking of Sinnerman, Jordan at OnIcePerspectives recently posted marvelous closeup vid of Jason practicing some of it:
If the link doesn't work, just check out OIP on Instagram. It's a recent post.

Sylvia

TBD
Speaking of Sinnerman, Jordan at OnIcePerspectives recently posted marvelous closeup vid of Jason practicing some of it:
Since Jason has not returned to the Cricket Club since Worlds/WTT, I assume this 44-second clip was filmed last year?

Here's more recent footage from this past Thursday in Chicago (Rohene Ward's Instagram account is rohenew) that I posted in Jason's fan thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...roll-uber-thread-2.98882/page-26#post-5999909
Rohene filmed 3 IG Live videos earlier today of Jason practicing re-worked sections of his "Sinnerman" SP:
#1: https://www.instagram.com/tv/COiUmJkpusQ/
#2: https://www.instagram.com/tv/COiVNf2Jpr7/
#3: https://www.instagram.com/tv/COimtVpJtE-/

Spun Silver

Since Jason has not returned to the Cricket Club since Worlds/WTT, I assume this 44-second clip was filmed last year?

Here's more recent footage from this past Thursday in Chicago (Rohene Ward's Instagram account is rohenew) that I posted in Jason's fan thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...roll-uber-thread-2.98882/page-26#post-5999909
I so wish Nina Simone had lived to see this program!

On a lighter note: I am going to take a cue from Rohene. From now on, when I screw something up, instead of getting mad at myself, I'm going to tell myself, "We made a lil boo boo, a lil mistakey-stake." I expect works of genius to ensue.

Evanstonsktr

Sylvia

TBD
What rink in the Chicago area was this filmed at?
...here's a pre-WTT article by Lynn Rutherford that includes quotes from Rohene Ward and a dancer/teacher about Ward's Alvin Ailey-inspired choreography:
Relevant excerpt from this article:
Alongside his choreographic career, Ward coaches at Fox Valley Ice Arena in Geneva, Illinois, about 35 miles outside of Chicago. There, he works with the rink’s skating director, two-time U.S. pairs’ champion Rockne Brubaker, and Brubaker’s wife, Stefania Berton, a European pairs’ medalist. Two of Brubaker’s pairs won junior medals at the 2021 U.S. championships.
“Amber Gil and I are building a singles program and also working on technique with the pairs,” Ward said. “We teach in groups, more in the European style, so it’s more affordable for the kids.”
Ward hopes to attract more students of color.
“I’ve reached out, but with COVID it’s been difficult,” he said. “It’s about going into the community and doing the work. I’m ready to do that, once COVID clears.”

Sylvia

TBD
Lutz Get Down to Business podcast's interview with Camden Pulkinen (uploaded to YT today): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IchKo9RNiYk
We are beyond excited to bring you Lutz Get Down to Business podcast’s inaugural interview guest!! We had the wonderful opportunity of spending some time talking to Camden Pulkinen - US National Team Member, 2018 US Junior National Champion, and a fan fave. We ask Camden about this season and next; discuss music, choreography, and what artistry means to him; and finish on some fun ‘rapid-fire’ questions that were certainly NOT done in a rapid-fire manner.
(scroll down further in the caption for timestamp links.)

Sylvia

TBD
Krasnozhon's coaches at SC of Boston have posted about "A New Chapter" for him today: https://www.instagram.com/p/COxkuZbLxJx/
Alex, we are very proud of you! You make us smile every day. We and your training mates always look forward to working with you. You are smart, kind, hard working and loyal. Most of all, you are a gentleman and a great friend. All these qualities will bring you tremendous success in your future. Remember, in any life situations, your coaches aka. your best friends will always be there for you! Good luck future lawyer!!!!❤️
Relevant excerpts from his interview after Nationals, posted earlier in this thread:
The whole interview by Kosntantin Lesik for sport24.ru
Q: What are your plans now?
AK: Train, analyze the mistakes. I will retire after the Olympics, so I have 12 months left, hence I need to plan with my coaching team so in a year I will be able to say I gave it all.
Q: Why do you retire?
AK: I have 0 chances to make it to the Olympics. I will not get the passport on time. Hence no games. The Worlds and the 4CC - yes. Olympics - no. So I want to dedicate the next 12 months to the ice and close that chapter of my life. It's already clear I will not become an Olympic champion. I moved to the USA because of the sport, but it helped me in the other aspects, I got my green card. Think I took all I could from the ice. The results could be better of course, but I only have one life. I'm 20, I have to think how do I use the opportunities that the USA gives me.
Besides, am a big guy. Am not built for the figure skating. I'm huge. I'm 179. Ok, not like Marak Ignatov, but nevertheless, it's too tall for a single skater. Last year I got my green card and decided to move to Boston with some friends. We decided we'd skate till the Olympics and that's it. Skating is fun, I enjoy being so young and being able to do all that.
Q: What will you do then? Will you stay in the USA?
AK: I will become a local student in September. Previously I was studying as a foreigner. We are now picking the uni together with my parents - I applied to 11 places. I will be studying part time and after I retire I will become a full time student. Then my goal is to get accepted to one of the best American law schools.
I constantly speak in 2 languages now. I have an interesting migration story. I could write a book about my move and the paper work adventures. I would love to help people who can't develop to their full potential in Russia. Am not the best skater out there, but when I moved to the USA I was able to win the Junior GPF. In Russia I wouldn't even have made it to the international competitions. A lot of talented skaters can't develop appropriately. I would love to become an immigration lawyer. I have a project for a website that will help the Russians pursuing an education in the USA. It only seems tough. It's really easy. I have many Russian friends in the USA who helped me out here. I want to help the others now.
It sounds like he has moved up his timetable by a year? Best wishes to Alex as he starts his next chapter of life!

ETA: https://twitter.com/akrasnozhon/status/1392513284948041739
Hey guys!! Just wanted to give few updates! Yes, I am retiring to pursue my academic dreams! I have a long way to go (still have an undergraduate degree to finish). I will be posting a detailed message later this week :)
Followed up by this post: https://www.instagram.com/p/COx5BnhpboX/
"... I will be attending @texaschristianuniversity this fall 💜💜 "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information