U.S. Men 2019-20 season - news & updates

Cayuse

It was tweeted today that Han Yan cannot practice for Coronavirus related issues in China. That will probably effect his preparation.

I thought all the Chinese athletes headed to Canada after 4CC's. Was that only the pairs? The dance teams train in Canada.

skatfan

I thought all the Chinese athletes headed to Canada after 4CC's. Was that only the pairs? The dance teams train in Canada.

It’s worse than that - Jin is in Canada. Other pairs not in Canada. All the Dance teams train in Montreal? If so they’re covered. Not sure why some were able to go and others didn’t.

Dobre

It’s worse than that - Jin is in Canada. Other pairs not in Canada. All the Dance teams train in Montreal? If so they’re covered. Not sure why some were able to go and others didn’t.

China only has one dance team qualified for Worlds. The top two teams train in Canada and the third, as far as I know, trains in China. But only Wang & Liu are likely to attend Worlds.

skatfan

China only has one dance team qualified for Worlds. The top two teams train in Canada and the third, as far as I know, trains in China. But only Wang & Liu are likely to attend Worlds.

Thanks for the correction.

Carolla5501

Visa issues?

Back to US men, I assume the Fed will monitor Malinin and Zhou before their respective championship

Honestly I don’t think it matters. Have they ever yanked a spot based on monitoring?

Last edited:

barbarafan

Those that were already training in Canada went to south korea from there so no problem going back.
When the chinese pairs go to Lori in Toronto they stay for a while so most likely Sui/Han used the same setup. As long as Peng/Jin go directly from South Korea to Canada they will be fine. It sucks for Han Yan. I hope they get him out of there.

Dobre

Honestly I don’t think it matters. Have they ever yanked a spot based on monitoring?

I'm not sure how we would know as it would likely be reported as injury-related, family-related, health-related, Jason becoming a nomad looking for a coach, or something else. Starr Andrews replaced Amber Glenn for Junior Worlds. I think that one was said--by posters rather than anyone official as far as I recall--to be due to monitoring during the Junior Worlds performance camp at the time. Camden went to Junior Worlds over Torgashev last year after finishing behind him at Nationals, which I think again was assumed to be due to monitoring at camp & again I don't think was actually stated anywhere.

Last edited:

Japanfan

A quote by Olympic came before this, but I can't find it. Olympic said:

It was tweeted today that Han Yan cannot practice for Coronavirus related issues in China. That will probably effect his preparation

Preparation for what? Yan Han will not be going to world (I think they are sending He Zhang). :wuzrobbed

Japanfan

Only Boyang Jin was listed for China on the entry list.

I recently googled Han Yan and read some of the articles that came up - in one of them I read that He Zhang was going as well. Of course this may not be the case and could just be speculation. And the article was of course translated.

skatingguy

decently
I recently googled Han Yan and read some of the articles that came up - in one of them I read that He Zhang was going as well. Of course this may not be the case and could just be speculation. And the article was of course translated.
He Zhang is not listed on the entries for Worlds. China only entered Boyang Jin with no substitutes.

Jaana

Great, at least Jin has been in a safe place regarding the Corona-virus and apparently the other skater not :(... So, it is a wise decision to sedn only Jin to Worlds, IMO.

barbarafan

Great, at least Jin has been in a safe place regarding the Corona-virus and apparently the other skater not :(... So, it is a wise decision to sedn only Jin to Worlds, IMO.
The stupid and mean decision was to send any of the 4cc competiters back to China. If someone who was allowed to talk had reached out I am sure they would have been looked after. With the large figure skating community and huge Chinese community in Canada.

aftershocks

Banned Member
In the latest episode of IceTalk, Jackie Wong interviews the very creative and artistic, Andrew Torgashev. Andrew is a painter, in addition to being a very talented young figure skater...

Andrew is interviewed toward the end, after the interview with Ted Barton and before the interview with the Knierims.

toddlj

So, since our best skater was behind Russia, Japan and Italy, we don't get the full contingent on the JGP circuit next season? <sadface> Though we are first in line for whatever spots Italy throws back, which should be a lot?

mtnskater

Torgashev’s skating skills and performance ability are so devine, sure wish he could find some consistency on the jumps. I hope he won’t be too hard on himself after the free skate at JR Worlds and instead learns from it going forward with a positive attitude. He’s too good not to keep learning and developing.

Maxim Naumov had the skate of his young life at Junior Worlds. So nice to see. I hope he gains confidence from this and maybe we’ll see him at Nationals in senior men next year.

Malinin is so adorable....all legs at the moment, but lots of promise for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information