Status
Not open for further replies.

olympic

Any comments on US Ladies' prospects at Worlds after seeing the results of JPN Nationals [which were a bit surprising] ? I thought that Kaori would be the biggest roadblock to 3 spots, but unfortunately she failed to make JPN's team for Worlds.

Jammers

Does anyone know what her injury was? Her first and last competition was way back in September. It must have been serious for it to not heal in the last 3 months. Is this yet another example of a Tom Z skater competing when they shouldn't have? Well Nationals just got a lot less interesting. Next season Ting is really going to have to make things happen to make up for losing a full season because 2022 is coming up fast.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Here's Ting's Instagram post/message today (linked above):
Hi everyone,
I have decided to withdraw from Nationals this year to focus on my recovery and rehabilitation from my second right ankle injury this year. This was a difficult decision to make but I think ultimately it’s the smart choice. I’m going to miss competing at the US Champs this year but I’m hoping to come back stronger than ever :) Thank you to my medical team for the best care and to my family, friends, and fans for the relentless support ❤️
All the very best to Ting for a full recovery so she can come back strongly next season! (I just noticed today that her name was removed from USFS' official list of 2020 Nationals competitors and was hoping she would post her own message, which she now has.)

Last edited:

Josh78

Is there any replacement that gets called up because Ting withdrew? Currently in a discussion about this with a friend, and we're unsure...

Dobre

Such a shame as she had laid the groundwork for some great international competitive opportunities this season. Fortunately, I think she has made a strong statement among the U.S. ladies over the past couple seasons. That if she comes back healthy and ready, USFS will do the best they can to get her back out there. Heal well, Ting. Thank you for the message, and we all look forward to seeing you healthy next season!

all_empty

Any comments on US Ladies' prospects at Worlds after seeing the results of JPN Nationals [which were a bit surprising] ? I thought that Kaori would be the biggest roadblock to 3 spots, but unfortunately she failed to make JPN's team for Worlds.

Propects are very good.

Assuming the team is Bradie and Mariah, we could have:

1. Kostornaia
2. Trusova
3. Scherbakova
4. Kihira
5. Young
6. Tennell
7. Bell
8. Miyahara
9. Lim
10. Higuchi

This would give Russia, Japan, and the US three spots.

It's not outside the realm of possibility for:

1. Kostornaia
2. Trusova
3. Scherbakova
4. Kihira
5. Young
6. Tennell
7. Bell
8. Lim
9. Miyahara
10. Daleman
11. Higuchi

Which would be beneficial to all, with Russia, Japan, the U.S. and Korea all getting three spots, and Canada two. The 4-8 placement will be critical.

Marco

Bummer about Ting Cui. I just adore her skating. Wishing her a speedy recovery and a full and strong comeback next season. With Tingting out, I am fully rooting for Mariah to have her moment at Nationals.

As for 3 spots next season, the Japanese ladies struggling is probably good news for US ladies. We will see how they skate at US Nationals and 4CCs. @all_empty 's analysis make sense but I would add that Young You is definitely the wildcard. She hasn't really had the success rate on the 3axel all season.

Dobre

I would add that Young You is definitely the wildcard. She hasn't really had the success rate on the 3axel all season.

And Higuchi, no? She did the 3 axel in practices at Nationals, and she looked good. The other jumps are looking around again. She looks to be on her way back, with 4CCs ahead for another run-through. Actually, a lot of wildcards. We don't know who is going to make it out of Russian, U.S., or Korean Nationals.

olympic

And Higuchi, no? She did the 3 axel in practices at Nationals, and she looked good. The other jumps are looking around again. She looks to be on her way back, with 4CCs ahead for another run-through. Actually, a lot of wildcards. We don't know who is going to make it out of Russian, U.S., or Korean Nationals.

I think that US Nationals is pretty easy to figure out: The USFSA is using BOW to determine teams as of recently and Liu, Tennell and Bell are a mile ahead of everyone else. The US has 2 spots for Ladies and Liu is age-ineligible. Plus, the one lady that could get close to these 3 and make it interesting, Ting Cui is out sadly due to injury. The bigger mystery is in which order they will finish (this is all of course barring injury or some catastrophic event in their lives).

I am interested in Amber's progress. She just had a life-changing event recently, and I wonder if coming out will lift a burden from her shoulders and allow her to live her life and skate more freely. We might see something great from her.

olympic

Amber will have to put together two clean programs at Nationals, because she doesn't have much of a BOW to back her up.

Yes. I don't think Amber will make the Worlds team, but a 4CC spot is very possible especially when you consider how subpar Karen Chen has been, and how uneven Starr Andrews has skated. Amber has skated a notch better this season than either Karen or Starr and as stated, this life changing event might help her feel free.

Sylvia

TBD
Besides Tennell, Bell, Andrews, Chen and Glenn, the 3 other ladies scheduled to compete at Nationals who also have the 4CC minimum scores are Courtney Hicks, Gabriella Izzo and Hanna Harrell.

Dobre

I would guess that at least Chen, Andrews, Glenn, and Harrell have a strong enough argument to make the 4CC team over one another with a top three result among the age-eligible athletes at Nationals.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Do we anticipate that neither of the two skaters going to worlds will go to 4CCs?

Tinami Amori

Tennell and Bell are clearly two best skaters in Senior Ladies in USA. If they perform OK at Nationals, they will be on the podium. They should be sent to WC and 4CC. I hope US FSF does not engage in "redistribution" and gives Bell/Tennell first right of refusal to skate at 4CC. All other senior ladies in USA are weaker than Tennell/Bell. I hate the thought of not sending one of them to 4CC "just to give others a chance". Sport is about "merit".

olympic

Worlds is in Montreal. Where are 4CCs? Distance and location of 4CCs is sometimes a determinant of attendance there ...

Sylvia

TBD
4CC will be in Seoul, Korea. Nationals ends on Sunday, Jan. 26; 4CC official practices start on Tuesday, Feb. 4.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Based on how assignments have been done in the past, I assume Bradie and Mariah (assuming they are the top 2 age-eligible skaters, and maybe even if not, based on BOW) will be offered 4CC and then it's up to them if they want to attend, and I assume they would - it's a quick turnaround but they've done it before, and I'm sure they're preparing for that scenario. The 3rd skater at 4CC will likely be the next-in-line age- and score mins-eligible skater, and it could be any of those mentioned above. I give Amber and Hanna the edge (with both Hanna and Starr in line to get a JW spot, along with Alysa), but who knows. There is a month between 4CC and JW and 6 weeks between 4CC and Worlds, plenty of time to regroup and train.

Jayar

Isn't the camp for Junior Worlds the week after nationals? If you get named to 4CCs, might an athlete be precluded from JW because they will miss selection camp?

Debbie S

Isn't the camp for Junior Worlds the week after nationals? If you get named to 4CCs, might an athlete be precluded from JW because they will miss selection camp?
Well, last year, Ting was named to 4CC and also attended the JW camp. Which I hope TPTB realized was exhausting and counterproductive and wouldn't do again. I assume they could name someone to JW w/o requiring them to attend the camp, and they also might not name the same skater to both teams. We'll have to see how the final results play out.

Jayar

Well, last year, Ting was named to 4CC and also attended the JW camp. Which I hope TPTB realized was exhausting and counterproductive and wouldn't do again. I assume they could name someone to JW w/o requiring them to attend the camp, and they also might not name the same skater to both teams. We'll have to see how the final results play out.

There were changes this season to preclude the young'ins from USN. They earn a spot at the camp after Championships week, as do the athletes in consideration for JW. I am just wondering if selection will be different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information