Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

Both, kinda: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_califfa
It's an Italian film but the Anglicized spelling is Caliph.
(I am not arguing with you, nothing personal.... :lol:), it's about the name and translation.

“Lady Califfa” is a rather odd (not to say wrong) translation for “La Califfa”, given linguistics, history, and the movie subject and characters. The right translation would have been simply “Calipha”.

a) It was possible for women in the middle-east to be a “Calipha”, if she was a daughter or a wife of a deceased Caliph. English word is “Calipha”. In the context of the movie for which the music was written, it means the same as Spanish “Jefa”, female for “Jefe” – boss, leader, person in charge.

b) The movie/music: The subject and the main character is pretty much “Norma Rey with an adulterous affair”. She is not a “lady”, but rather a rough around the edges, sexually unconstrained, blue color factory worker who is fighting for workers’ rights and encourages strikes; she starts an affair with her married Boss/factory owner in hope to soften and influence him and his employment policies.

http://theredlist.com/media/.cache/.../1468679918-120-romy-schneider-theredlist.JPG
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.co...2895521baeed13--romy-shneider-alain-delon.jpg

c) The subject is not an “Arabian fantasy story”…… Hicks’ dress does not make sense. I hope someone tells her to 1) watch the movie. 2) style her routine and costume accordingly.

d) B/S costumes were correct (white). There are romantic segments in the movie where both wear white.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
She did! It was UR and two-footed but I love that she went for it! Several mistakes in both programs but she held it together fairly well and still managed to win the FS and place second overall to Courtney. There's work to be done but not bad for July! :D I haven't seen Mirai's FS yet but it seems (going by pbps and comment's by some who have seen it) that she's going in the right direction thanks to the brilliance of Jeff Buttle! And she still has time to get even better! I did hope to see a 3A in the FS too but again it's early yet! There's time.
It is a huge improvement over last years Skate Detroit almost 35 points higher!

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
(I am not arguing with you, nothing personal.... :lol:), it's about the name and translation.

“Lady Califfa” is a rather odd (not to say wrong) translation for “La Califfa”, given linguistics, history, and the movie subject and characters. The right translation would have been simply “Calipha”.

a) It was possible for women in the middle-east to be a “Calipha”, if she was a daughter or a wife of a deceased Caliph. English word is “Calipha”. In the context of the movie for which the music was written, it means the same as Spanish “Jefa”, female for “Jefe” – boss, leader, person in charge.

b) The movie/music: The subject and the main character is pretty much “Norma Rey with an adulterous affair”. She is not a “lady”, but rather a rough around the edges, sexually unconstrained, blue color factory worker who is fighting for workers’ rights and encourages strikes; she starts an affair with her married Boss/factory owner in hope to soften and influence him and his employment policies.

http://theredlist.com/media/.cache/.../1468679918-120-romy-schneider-theredlist.JPG
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.co...2895521baeed13--romy-shneider-alain-delon.jpg

c) The subject is not an “Arabian fantasy story”…… Hicks’ dress does not make sense. I hope someone tells her to 1) watch the movie. 2) style her routine and costume accordingly.

d) B/S costumes were correct (white). There are romantic segments in the movie where both wear white.

I think that if Courtney were to try romantic with this... :scream: it could be a complete disaster, but I agree with you that Elena and Anton did it right (it is absolutely perfect and the best Pairs SP ever no matter what. IMO.)

I kind of like that Courtney took a somewhat darker approach, she just doesn't have the ballet to her skating to really make you gasp like Elena & Anton. They really were just heaven to watch in that program. :swoon:

Here it is again, why not? :watch:
https://youtu.be/enegcJGB4NY

Oh and here is Courtney's LP from Skate Detroit:
https://youtu.be/4r8aAcbIBHw

Willin

Love Mirai's FP! The choreography is great when it's there, so I hope they add more in during transitions. I still see some UR's, but that first 3-3 was HUGE

I love the opening to Courtney's FP. I'd like the rest more without vocals.

So far I'm loving the long programs this year. Can't wait to see more!

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
:rofl: somebody should keep her abreast of the (real) essence of the music.

I don't ever want to see that happen in my lifetime. Cobras are fine though.

J

Jeschke

Now I am kinda surprised by 'gracious' Hicks with 'Amazing Grace'. Never thought that music might work for her, but it actually does somehow. Lots of drama singing of Groban and xxx (who's the girl?) so that works for Hicks skating style.

Funnily I kinda like the non-vocal soft start more; the steps to starts are gorgeous, followed by that kick-ass Ando-3-3loop-combo :respec:
In the latter half the program actually is really flat, there is not much happening besides the backloading, which actually in July did not work for her. So funny, that Ando seems to start that trend in 2011 :p

So, the 2nd half needs some work, but overall I am amazed by this choice, great costume too. So c'mon Hicks, kick ass! Just for the entertainment!

I fear for Zhangs SkAM spot now :drama:

Last edited by a moderator:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Caroline has a 3loop/3loop and a 3flip/3toe, and ............. footwork

Try to keep up Courtney! :gallopin1

I really dislike the music but think she's just great. The 3flip/3loop was :kickass:

Bellanca

This is exactly what I was hoping for! All the ladies bringing their game, stepping it up and not assuming Oly team spots have already been designated to others - which is not true - all three spots are up for grabs. Courtney, Mirai and Co. need to continue full speed ahead and resist the chatter of those who have already assigned spots and named the team. Not this season, and not with this discipline. Too unpredictable...
So, rock the boat and shake the :EVILLE: out of things, ladies! It ain't over till it's over.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm impressed with both of Courtney Hicks' programs and music selections this season. She's showing so much improvement in challenging herself artistically. The choreo is quite lovely, especially for the fp. She landed that gorgeous triple flip?/triple loop in the fp beautifully, even despite she became tired toward the end of the program and began doubling out some jumps. This is a nice start to the Olympics season for Courtney. I think both of Courtney's music selections would work so well for Karen Chen. I would have liked to see Karen keep her wonderful On Golden Pond sp, and perhaps try something unique with maybe an Asian-themed piano piece as someone suggested in Programs/Music thread. BTW, what choreographer(s) is Courtney working with this season?

I like Mirai's attack in her Skate Detroit fp. I haven't seen Mirai's sp at Skate Detroit yet. With Mirai, she always needs to stay focused, to believe in herself, and to project more/ feel more. That's a tall order for most athletes/ figure skaters.

J

Jeschke

Caroline has a 3flip/3toe
did anyone see her land it again? it's not 2007 anymore :EVILLE:
mirai was the best proof that practice and competition are too different side.

Either way, kick ass Caroline! All the way! Until the bitter end!
#teamzhang
#zhangcomeback

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
:COP:*la la la la la* I can't hear you, you'll see next week. I'm disappointed in your logic and reason, you're losing it what the heck is that! Caroline is the boss. :mitchell: Slow and steady wins the race! #CarolineforSKAM

ETA: Her coach Peter O. said at Nats last year in an interview that she practices 3flip/3toe all the time, and that she was saving it for the Olympic year. And the 3salchow. Why would he lie? You'll see! :gallopin1:gallopin1

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I have such a dreadful feeling that I'm going to be eating my foot in 10 days. :barefoot: #lifeofazhangfan #teamzhang

SkateFanBerlin

What I notice is that Courtney's jumps were more in control. She's a fantastic jumper - powerful, fast. But, in the last 2 seasons she had some disappointments because she vaulted high, lost axis/timing and fell. If she continues to control the jumps it could make a a big difference in her results. Is her axle good enough to be a 3?

olympic

Courtney's 3F-3L was marvelous. When she controls her jumps, she reminds me of Harding, Ito and Manley. I love my power girls and will always have a soft spot for them.

I enjoyed Mirai's entire program: 3F-3T, 2A-3T-2T and let's not forget a 3Z combo in the second half is a big deal for her, and I assume the solo 2A in the 2d jumping pass is intended to be a 3A

Frida80

Courtney's 3F-3L was marvelous. When she controls her jumps, she reminds me of Harding, Ito and Manley. I love my power girls and will always have a soft spot for them.

I enjoyed Mirai's entire program: 3F-3T, 2A-3T-2T and let's not forget a 3Z combo in the second half is a big deal for her, and I assume the solo 2A in the 2d jumping pass is intended to be a 3A

Yeah it is suppose to be 3A. Se jumped so big that she couldn't control the landing of her 2A. She probably does all her run through a with the 3A. It may be hard to remember to hold back.

I think her focus should be on the second half. If she can commit her second half of her program to muscle memory and really sell it no matter how the first half goes she be able to keep her score consistent even if the 3A fails.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Wow, the USA ladies who have my full attention so far are Courtney Hicks and Amber Glenn (neither of which have GP assignments tho).

Come on, Gracie Gold, serve me!

aftershocks

Banned Member
BTW, what choreographer(s) is Courtney working with this season?

Wow, okay as I see from the wonderful spread sheet resource, Courtney Hicks has Rohene Ward as choreographer for her sp, and Jonathan Cassar as choreographer for her fp! You go girl!!! :cheer2: No wonder both programs are so good. :D

bronwynsings

Mirai was absolutely awesome today in the long program. She landed eight triples, including a 3A (<<, but stood up), and the only mistake besides that was turning out on the very last loop. Her jumps looked very secure, and I don't think she missed one in the warm-up. I feel very confident about her this season, she is on the attack and she looks determined!

leigh466

I'm a total snob about "The Lady Califf" because of Elena & Anton, but IMO Courtney is much improved. Much softer, better use of her arms, better fluidity, better quality of movement, better interpretation, better musical accents, better transitions, and that's a gigantic triple lutz. :kickass:

I'm pleased to see this growth from her, she's a fighter and you can see a big improvement to her skating. I just wish it were a different piece of music.

Yes, I thought this too! I do not know the music, but liked the program choreography and transitions, and as you noted she looks much improved aesthetically!

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Mirai was absolutely awesome today in the long program. She landed eight triples, including a 3A (<<, but stood up), and the only mistake besides that was turning out on the very last loop. Her jumps looked very secure, and I don't think she missed one in the warm-up. I feel very confident about her this season, she is on the attack and she looks determined!

Well if bronwyn says it then it's true. :kickass: She was amazing, I've never seen her so focused in an early season performance. She was out for the kill today! I'm in love with the long program. :swoon: it already works.

I hope this continues for her.

J

Jeschke

off-topic: just at the olympics; during gp-series they've had different costumes in a rose tone;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5yu8HZSl7A

the whites were classy, but i liked the 'original' ones very much too.
they work with the soft music; that's what i am missing with hicks' costume.

Last edited by a moderator:

olympic

Did Mirai land a clean 3A in the final round of Skate Detroit? :eek: I watched the video, but wasn't sure if I was seeing things ...

ETA - I saw the post upthread that it was downgraded, but it was at least pleasing in real time

meggonzo

Banned Member
I thought Mirai only did a double axel and put her hand down? I'll have to watch the video again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information