U.S. Ice Dance 2023-24 news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Kaitlin Hawayek launched her new website today:

Re-posting here from the U.S. Club Shows thread... Kaitlin & Jean-Luc are scheduled to perform in 2 Saturday shows in Utah -- on April 27 at the Utah Olympic Oval in Kearns & on May 4 at the Salt Lake City Sports Complex (former home of the U.S. FS Classic comp.) in Salt Lake City.

Tickets for the April 27th show in Kearns are available to purchase now here, along with the May 4th SLC show: https://www.saltlakefigureskating.com/store

Sylvia

TBD
Re. Bland/Sperry on April 7:
I know, but I'm still curious if they are planning to compete as seniors.
No, Kristina has decided to take a break from skating to focus on university (her post today): https://www.instagram.com/p/C6Rmcsbx6LV/
After many memorable performances and shared moments on the ice, I have made the difficult decision to take a break from ice dancing. I want to take this moment to express my deepest gratitude to our friends, and coaches who have supported us on this exhilarating journey. As much as I cherish the joy and excitement that skating brings, I realized the importance of focusing on our individual journeys of self-growth and academic pursuits. This break will allow me to fully dedicate myself to personal development and academic excellence. I wish Matthew much success as he continues this year!
ETA link to Lois Elfman's B/S article last October:
"Both Bland, 19, and Sperry, 21, are students at the University of Michigan, so an international competition meant missing a week of classes. They admitted it’s not easy to balance school and skating, but they value the college experience."

Sept. 2022 IDC artoicle by Anne Calder:
“I just graduated from high school,” Bland said. “I’m heading to the University of Michigan in the fall to major in Political Science and minor in Crime and Justice. Then it will be law school to become a Defense Attorney. That’s the dream.”
“I just finished my first year at the University of Michigan in Mechanical Engineering,” Sperry added. “A lot of us at Novi are focusing on both school and skating. We all know what it’s like, and we support each other.”
“Both my parents work in education, so they are very education focused,” Bland said. “I have an older brother who is in his second year of college. We’re 18 months apart.”
“Actually both our families are really into education,” Sperry added. “I have an older brother too. He’s a student at the University of Maryland.”
Bland/Sperry are still listed among the 20 ice dance teams in the ISP as of today (Helena Carhart/Volodymyr Horovyi's names have since been removed).

Last edited:

ice coverage

And from Matthew Sperry's post today:

" ... We’ve come so far in our three years together and achieved many of our lifelong goals. I am proud of everything we have accomplished and wish Kristina all the best as she pursues college full-time.

I want to thank @usfigureskating and all of my coaches for their support throughout our career together.

As for me, I plan to continue skating and look forward to what the future will bring."

(ETA: Matthew's caption accompanies a nice photo of their togetherness -- on ice after their 2024 Nats FD, I believe.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6RpYr8xAt9zWLdlFjmjgIGsguIEcmgY73K6RU0/

From joint account for Kristina and Matthew:

"... and Matthew will be continuing to pursue skating while studying engineering."

Best wishes to both!

Last edited:

icedancefan!!

North Dakota local TV news segment on Neset/Markelov before they performed in her club's shows in Minot, a.k.a. "Magic City" (March 29):

Magic City FSC's "Senior Spotlight" post last month featuring Leah: https://www.instagram.com/magiccityfsc/reel/C4v6rN4rt8W/
I know I'm late to this post, but the part about "Wouldn’t you know it, they’re engaged and will get married later this year." I'm hoping that the reporter is confused with Chock/Bates... right?

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I know I'm late to this post, but the part about "Wouldn’t you know it, they’re engaged and will get married later this year." I'm hoping that the reporter is confused with Chock/Bates... right?
The reporter did not get anyone confused. Neset & Markelov are also engaged and getting married this year apparently.

Debbie S

No. :) The news (and discussion) was earlier in this thread.

pixie cut

Here's the info. You can go to the registry and buy them a gift.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Oh wow. What date was this discussed? I haven't been on in a while
The discussion starts here and continues for a couple of pages.

Leah and Artem are getting married

ice coverage

Caroline and Brendan Mullen's "Survivor" FD was filmed by Jordan Cowan at NYC's Bryant Park on Feb 5, 2024, and published today on On Ice Perspectives channels on YouTube and Instagram:

(4:14)​

Last edited:

farahfan

Re. Bland/Sperry on April 7:

No, Kristina has decided to take a break from skating to focus on university (her post today): https://www.instagram.com/p/C6Rmcsbx6LV/

ETA link to Lois Elfman's B/S article last October:
"Both Bland, 19, and Sperry, 21, are students at the University of Michigan, so an international competition meant missing a week of classes. They admitted it’s not easy to balance school and skating, but they value the college experience."

Sept. 2022 IDC artoicle by Anne Calder:

Bland/Sperry are still listed among the 20 ice dance teams in the ISP as of today (Helena Carhart/Volodymyr Horovyi's names have since been removed).
Aw, will miss them. Does this leave N/M as the only junior team moving up to seniors? Supposing that they do...

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Junior age-eligible teams now listed in the 2024-25 ISP:

Leah Neset and Artem Markelov JGPF1/J1/JW1 [currently expected to move up to senior internationally]
Elliana Peal and Ethan Peal IDF-J2/J3/JW5
Caroline Mullen and Brendan Mullen IDF-J3/J5
Olivia Ilin and Dylan Cain IDF-J4/YOG2
Julia Epps and Blake Gilman IDF-J9/J8
Emily Renzi and William Lissauer IDF-J8/J9

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
ISU Junior age-eligible teams now listed in the 2024-25 ISP:

Leah Neset and Artem Markelov JGPF1/J1/JW1 [currently expected to move up to senior internationally]
Elliana Peal and Ethan Peal IDF-J2/J3/JW5
Caroline Mullen and Brendan Mullen IDF-J3/J5
Olivia Ilin and Dylan Cain IDF-J4/YOG2
Julia Epps and Blake Gilman IDF-J9/J8
Emily Renzi and William Lissauer IDF-J8/J9
Did those last two couples switch partners?

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Any videos available of Kaitlin & Jean-Luc from their recent performances? I saw she posted some great photos on instagram but I haven't caught any videos yet.

Sylvia

TBD

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Andrea82

Im very hazy on this, but didn’t he fall during one of their programs at Nationals?
They fell both in the Original Dance and in the Free Dance at 2006 Nationals.
It was between them and Jamie Silverstein/Ryan O'Meara for the third Olympics spot

Compulsary Dance: Matthews/Zavozin 33.98 Silverstein/O'Meara 32.24
Original Dance: Silverstein/O'Meara 54.46 Matthews/Zavozin 52.81

Then the FD went to Silverstein/O'Meara 91.76 to 87.74.

Silverstein/O'Meara were with Shpilband and they scored well in the TES in the FD (second highest, better than Gregory/Pethukov)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information