U.S. Ice Dance 2023-24 news & updates

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
@jackson The way Chen treated/dumped his former partner was pretty questionable, so fans are skeptical of how he'll treat any new partner.
Look, we don't know what was going on behind the scenes with that partnership. Neither he nor Katarina have commented much about it, other than it seemed pretty abrupt and she was not expecting it - at least not the timing of it from Jeffrey. It was pretty clear to anyone who watched Wolfkostin/Chen during their last junior season and their only senior season that there were tensions, especially when one or the other made errors in their programs.

marshallpond

It appears that Jane Calhoun (12th in Junior at the U.S. Ice Dance Final with Daniil Veselukhin) has teamed up with Wolfe Jin (he has competed in solo ice dance & also has professional acting credits)
Wolfe is appearing in Season 6 of the show "All-Round Champion." He used to compete in singles; Intermediate Men was his last competition, but he didn't compete last year as he was filming the show in Toronto. He also did solo ice dance and was on the Washington DC team for theatre on ice. He went to Colorado in 3rd week of January to start training with Jane. He was a kid model, and I still see his pics as a kid displayed in Target

Sylvia

TBD
Bratti/Somerville article before their Worlds debut: https://www.usfigureskating.org/new...izing-opportunities-first-world-championships

ETA that I've cross-posted Hersh's Chock/Bates Q&A (March 19) link in the Dance Hall & Valieva threads:

Last edited:

PeterG

My apologies for not following this thread and now asking a question which you have probably already covered in this thread.

My question is about Green and Parsons. Last season they were second at US Nationals and sixth at Worlds.

This year they placed third and fourth at their Grand Prix events, the same placements for their Grand Prix assignments last year. At 4CC they placed fifth last year and sixth this year. Almost identical results both seasons.

U.S. Nationals. They come in fourth and are not sent to Worlds. Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville do attend Worlds, but do not qualify to skate their free dance.

I did not think that Green and Parsons skated horribly at US Nationals. Their free dance is possibly my favourite FD this season and maybe the last few seasons. I was shocked when they didn't come in second at US Nationals. Now, even if everybody in this thread thinks they made costly errors at US Nationals, doesn't their track record mean that the US Figure Skating association (apologies for not knowing the proper name) should have recognized that one bad performance should not keep them from going to Worlds?

I would not be happy if I was Green and Parsons, for numerous reasons. I look forward to hearing all your thoughts.

Sylvia

TBD

layman

My apologies for not following this thread and now asking a question which you have probably already covered in this thread.

My question is about Green and Parsons. Last season they were second at US Nationals and sixth at Worlds.

This year they placed third and fourth at their Grand Prix events, the same placements for their Grand Prix assignments last year. At 4CC they placed fifth last year and sixth this year. Almost identical results both seasons.

U.S. Nationals. They come in fourth and are not sent to Worlds. Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville do attend Worlds, but do not qualify to skate their free dance.

I did not think that Green and Parsons skated horribly at US Nationals. Their free dance is possibly my favourite FD this season and maybe the last few seasons. I was shocked when they didn't come in second at US Nationals. Now, even if everybody in this thread thinks they made costly errors at US Nationals, doesn't their track record mean that the US Figure Skating association (apologies for not knowing the proper name) should have recognized that one bad performance should not keep them from going to Worlds?

I would not be happy if I was Green and Parsons, for numerous reasons. I look forward to hearing all your thoughts.
I said that Bratti and Somerville would not make the top 10 at Worlds (after they were put on the team). Turns out they did not even qualify to skate the free.

This was predictable and shows what a colossal error the USFSA made in not sending Green and Parsons to Worlds (despite their strong body of work).

The decision to throw Green and Parsons under the bus at Nationals will hurt the whole US Ice Dance program in the short and long term.

layman

Chock and Bates were outskated at Nationals as well. With the (shaky) skates they put out, they probably deserved 4th or 5th place, but I would have still put them on the World team because of their body of work. At least the USFSA got that right. Green and Parsons deserved the same consideration.

dancefan17

I think Green and Parsons have had a shaky season- it wasn’t just at Nationals. Several folks questioned whether there were some injuries they were recovering from. I think there is a silver lining to not going to worlds this year. I am hoping that some time to rest and get a head start on new programs can set them up well for next year and hopefully for an Olympic spot when the time comes.

shan

I think Green and Parsons have had a shaky season- it wasn’t just at Nationals. Several folks questioned whether there were some injuries they were recovering from. I think there is a silver lining to not going to worlds this year. I am hoping that some time to rest and get a head start on new programs can set them up well for next year and hopefully for an Olympic spot when the time comes.

Yeah, that's why I thought not making it to Worlds, though surely disappointing, would be helpful to them in the long run.

Willin

I said that Bratti and Somerville would not make the top 10 at Worlds (after they were put on the team). Turns out they did not even qualify to skate the free.

This was predictable and shows what a colossal error the USFSA made in not sending Green and Parsons to Worlds (despite their strong body of work).

The decision to throw Green and Parsons under the bus at Nationals will hurt the whole US Ice Dance program in the short and long term.
Bratte/Somerville had a fall - a freak accident in ice dance. Even worse a fall at a time that caused the entire element to be invalidated. That's why they didn't make the FD - not because, as you imply, they're bad. G/P very well may have had the same sort of mistake. Almost every US ice dance team have had falls at inopportune moments. Who can forget when C/B both fell at the Olympics costing them a podium spot?

Do I think they would've gotten top 10? No. But that's not because they're bad. That's because they're new and the judges in ice dance reward longevity. C/B wouldn't be on or near that podium if this was truly about skill.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I don't see any ill effects to the whole US Ice Dance program. Bratti/Somerville got their chance and messed up. That's life. But long-term consequences? Neither Green/Parsons or Bratti/Somerville were in any danger of winning a medal at worlds. So no medals lost. No spots lost. G/P got world standing points at 4CC so they also didn't miss out on filling that box with world standings points.

Nothing's stopping G/P from coming back swinging next season. Or B/S from holding their heads up and continuing to fight hard for their future. Or Z/K from emoting their way to the top, etc.

BTW Congrats to Chock/Bates and Carreria/Ponomarenko for a successful worlds!

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Top American teams from Season Best List (top 75)

1 Chock/Bates (guaranteed 2 GP assignments)
8 Carreira/Ponomarenko (guaranteed 2)
11 Zingas/Kolesnik (guaranteed 1)
15 Pate/Bye (guaranteed 1)
17 Green/Parsons (guaranteed 1)
19 Brown/Brown (guaranteed 1)
21 Bratti/Somerville (guaranteed 1)
25 Flores/Desyatov
29 Neset/Markelov (still junior eligible, unclear if moving up, possibly moving into top 24 world standings once they dump the data from 2 seasons ago, but I'm not going to do all that math :p)
32 Wolfkostin/Tsarevski
57 Peal/Peal (still junior eligible)

There's a lot of good teams, and it's quite possible that some of these teams will end up with only one GP (or even none), but USFS has been very good at getting teams out to senior Bs so at least they all have that to look forward to. Gotta love American ice dance depth!

chameleonster

Green/Parsons may in the long run turn out to be benefitted from being passed ocer for Worlds, as they've said themselves they've both been struggling with injuries this season. Z/K have also struggled with consistency and are even more inexperienced than B/S. Any of the three teams in contention for that third spot could have had a fluke fall on an element. The way assignments shook out means that USFS has more teams with championship experience. I don't see how the decision to send B/S has hurt US ice dance in the short or long term, given that Carreira/Ponomarenko kept three spots easily and with room to spare.

Karen-W

Top American teams from Season Best List (top 75)

1 Chock/Bates (guaranteed 2 GP assignments)
8 Carreira/Ponomarenko (guaranteed 2)
11 Zingas/Kolesnik (guaranteed 1)
15 Pate/Bye (guaranteed 1)
17 Green/Parsons (guaranteed 1)
19 Brown/Brown (guaranteed 1)
21 Bratti/Somerville (guaranteed 1)
25 Flores/Desyatov
29 Neset/Markelov (still junior eligible, unclear if moving up, possibly moving into top 24 world standings once they dump the data from 2 seasons ago, but I'm not going to do all that math :p)
32 Wolfkostin/Tsarevski
57 Peal/Peal (still junior eligible)

There's a lot of good teams, and it's quite possible that some of these teams will end up with only one GP (or even none), but USFS has been very good at getting teams out to senior Bs so at least they all have that to look forward to. Gotta love American ice dance depth!
I'll do the math later this evening for the WS. I'd bet that any team who is in the SB Top 24 and WS Top 24 will get 2 GPs on the initial assignments list. A quick glance says that GreenP will easily remain WS Top 24.

Not sure if BraSom have enough to remain in WS Top 24 and HawBak and the Browns will drop out. ZingKol should move up into the WS Top 24 regardless of what happens with the three teams ahead of them that I just mentioned. NesMark and PateBye are on the cusp, I'm thinking.

litenkyckling

Such a shame for C/P that they missed out on 6th by 0.64 points (I think they should've gone above R/A personally...) because to miss out on seeded spots by such a fine margin is frustrating! I think a best scenario would be to have C/B, R/A and C/P at SkAm because with a home ice advantage they could beat R/A there!

Karen-W

Such a shame for C/P that they missed out on 6th by 0.64 points (I think they should've gone above R/A personally...) because to miss out on seeded spots by such a fine margin is frustrating! I think a best scenario would be to have C/B, R/A and C/P at SkAm because with a home ice advantage they could beat R/A there!
Oh, I think they're going to wind up seeded. My gut says GilPoir call it a career after today.

peibeck

Simply looking
It's a shame about Bratti/Sommerville at Worlds, especially when the more talented member of a very talented team makes an error that's so costly. Hopefully the USFS doesn't throw them under the bus for more opportunities. They were lucky to get the chance, but Zingas/Kolesnik equally blew their chance to be at Worlds by making errors at Nats, but then outskated G/P at 4CC and finished just off the podium.

Biggest factors for next season have to be whether Chock/Bates decide enough is enough and retire gracefully and if Hawayek/Baker decide to return, and if so where they are going to fit in with the rise of Christina and Anthony?

Lacey

Sorry to be so slow, just coming home, so Chock/Bates won overall, but all I am finding is their second place finish in the actual free dance itself. Where are overall placement for everyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information