U.S. Ice Dance 2022-23 news & updates

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I found it totally unconvincing and they (WISA) totally phoned it in choreographically - almost like they were trying to copy paste the success of Gr/Pa last year). The costuming was so confusing too.
I thought McSp were in Boston not at WISA?

Ena Grins

Not to be "that person" but...do we have any updates on Green/Parsons coaching situation? I think last we heard it was rumored they had left WISA, but I don't recall updates on where they landed.

I'm sure we'll know where they're training eventually but I guess I'm a bit impatient in the off season.

angi

McNamara and Spiridonov's FD has been posted at this link
This is basically a phoned-in version of Green/Parsons FD from last season, not sure if the fact that it was choreographed by the same people makes it better or worse.

The programs MIDA gave B/S and W/C were surprisingly underwhelming, was really expecting more from the school considering their previous experience with choreographing.

Lara111

This is basically a phoned-in version of Green/Parsons FD from last season, not sure if the fact that it was choreographed by the same people makes it better or worse.

The programs MIDA gave B/S and W/C were surprisingly underwhelming, was really expecting more from the school considering their previous experience with choreographing.
All teams were quite underwhelming. I hope the others who were not at LPID show us something more interesting.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
All teams were quite underwhelming. I hope the others who were not at LPID show us something more interesting.
A certain level of roughness is to be expected at summer monitoring competitions.

For where we’re at in the season, I thought Pate/Bye’s programs have real potential, McNamara/Spiridinov look smooth and ready to go with a few fixes on the technical side, Wolfkostin/Chen have a nice RD with some polishing to do on the FD and vice versa for Bratti/Somerville. Everybody’s programs should improve as the teams become more comfortable with them.

sk9tingfan

I hope that Green and Parsons don't opt out of this season for some reason. The fact that no one can pin down where they are training is really puzzling. :confused::watch:

Dobre

Not to be "that person" but...do we have any updates on Green/Parsons coaching situation?
Nope.
A certain level of roughness is to be expected at summer monitoring competitions.
(y)This time of year it usually feels to me like half the teams take a fall, especially the year after the Olympics when new rules are in place. They're getting used to the new movement and they maybe push harder in competition than they are used to. Also there are the teams that get through almost everything, are like we-made-it! And then they wipe out on the last element. I'm kind of blown away that there weren't any falls in the senior FDs.

I'm treating the programs like candy & watching them one at a time in the midst of other stuff.

I've made it through M&S's FD and P&B's RD thus far. I really prefer watching with the excitement of not knowing the placements, but it's early August.
I hope that Green and Parsons don't opt out of this season for some reason. The fact that no one can pin down where they are training is really puzzling.
They're signed up for the GP.

The year the Greens missed the JGP, we didn't get the scoop about why they missed it until about 3 months after the JGP was over so either a. there is nothing to tell or b. we'll find out when they're good & ready to tell us. Maybe eat a little 🍿 in the meantime.

sk9tingfan

Nope.

(y)This time of year it usually feels to me like half the teams take a fall, especially the year after the Olympics when new rules are in place. They're getting used to the new movement and they maybe push harder in competition than they are used to. Also there are the teams that get through almost everything, are like we-made-it! And then they wipe out on the last element. I'm kind of blown away that there weren't any falls in the senior FDs.

I'm treating the programs like candy & watching them one at a time.

I've made it through M&S's FD and P&B's RD thus far. I really prefer watching with the excitement of not knowing the placements, but it's early August.

They're signed up for the GP.

The year the Greens missed the JGP, we didn't get the scoop about why they missed it until about 3 months after the JGP was over so either a. there is nothing to tell or b. we'll find out when they're good & ready to tell us. Maybe eat a little 🍿 in the meantime.
Given that Caroline will be attending GW in the fall, I can't imagine them changing coaching teams.

Ena Grins

I loved Wolkstokin and Chen's dances. I like the use of the authentic Samba-roll(s) in the RD. I love the quality of the dancing in their FD and am puzzled why they were scored so low in the FD portion of the event.
It was definitely a messy FD. I was surprised when I saw the protocol, not so much when I watched the skate itself. It's early in the season and that happens. That said, I have a lot of hope this program. I think they need more time getting comfortable with all of the choreography, and the choreography itself maybe needs some editing and clarity, but there's a ton of potential there.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I agree. I think that program could be really good once they get it polished.

dancing_on_ice

Not to be "that person" but...do we have any updates on Green/Parsons coaching situation? I think last we heard it was rumored they had left WISA, but I don't recall updates on where they landed.

I'm sure we'll know where they're training eventually but I guess I'm a bit impatient in the off season.
TSL strongly implied in a recent video that they're training with Charlie, Tanith, and Greg at MIDA

SorrySkater

Now that I’ve watched M/S’s free dance, I agree with what others have said. IMO they need new coaches and/or new choreographers. The latter would probably help a lot. The one thing I thought while watching was that the dance was very … blah. Maybe they’ll add more to it as the season progresses?

RoseRed

Not sure either, but I think the fact that they chose music by the same composer definitely makes it worse.

skateguy776

Here is the link to all the Lake Placid videos!

I suggest to go watch the winner of the Junior Solo Dance Event, Amal Israilova! For being so young (13, I believe) with the right partner she could be amazing!

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I'm really wondering what the USFS is doing with their JGP dance assignments this season. So far, Pham/Rogers (a good team) have two assignments, but Neset/Markelov (clear top US junior team), nor Carhart/Horovyi haven't been assigned to any yet, and only 1 team has been assigned to both Ostrava and Riga. There are 4 JGPs left for a grand total of 8 spots - presumably N/M and C/H will get 2 each, and Hauer/Starr will get a 2nd one, same with the Peals, and that leaves Bland/Sperry to potentially get 2. I suppose it all works out, but it's a shame that it doesn't seem like any other teams are likely to be added to the ISP or given even one JGP assignment.

Sylvia

TBD
Simon Shnapir coaching ice dance? :eek: ;) IDC article by Gina Capellazzi:
Excerpt:
So how did the 34-year-old with more than 15 years of pairs’ experience find himself back into the ice dance world as a coach? Shnapir, who is the on-ice director at the Skating Club of Boston, credits his return to ice dance and joy for the discipline to his student, Caroline DePetri, who trained with Shnapir in Boston during her singles career. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Shnapir said, DePetri, who had tested out of freestyle, started to learn ice dance.
“She really fell in love with it and decided she wanted to compete again and compete in ice dance,” he explained. [...]
After a year working with Shnapir, DePietri teamed up in April with TJ Carey, who last season competed with Klara Kowar. DePietri and Carey competed in the senior domestic event at the 2022 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships.

sk9tingfan

Simon Shnapir coaching ice dance? :eek: ;) IDC article by Gina Capellazzi:
Excerpt:
One time at a local show in Massachusetts, I caught Simon's eye and went over to speak with him. I was at that time six feet tall. After a couple sentences, he pointed down and it was pointed at Marissa Castelli who was a foot shorter than me and about 1.5 feet shorter than Simon. I remember apologizing to her and saying, "It's an eye-level thing".

ice coverage

...As a theoretical matter: I don't think we know whether the required score for ISP is above Larson/Kapran's -- because they will represent Ukraine.
Seems to me that we cannot rule out the possibility that a score below their 126.99 could be sufficient for addition to USFS ISP? ...

I'm really wondering what the USFS is doing with their JGP dance assignments this season. ... it's a shame that it doesn't seem like any other teams are likely to be added to the ISP or given even one JGP assignment.

Romy Malcolm/Noah Lafornara have been added to ISP. :)
With a score of 126.11, they placed second in junior dance at Silicon Valley Open a few days ago.

I do not think anyone else is in ballpark range of Team USA's JGP entries/alternates this season ... other than:
- the Mullens, who have not competed yet this season (WD from Dallas :()
- Ilin/Cain and Epps/Gilman, with neither couple age-eligible for junior internationals​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information