U.S. Ice Dance 2022-23 news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Starting a new thread with the preliminary ISU Grand Prix assignments that were announced today - 9 teams received at least one GP :):

*making Grand Prix Series debut in 2022

Skate America:
Madison Chock and Evan Bates, Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker; TBD

Skate Canada International
Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville*, Molly Cesanek and Yehor Yehorov, Caroline Green and Michael Parsons

Internationaux de France
Eva Pate and Logan Bye*, Katarina Wolfkostin and Jeffrey Chen*

MK John Wilson Trophy
Oona Brown and Gage Brown*, Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko

NHK Trophy
Madison Chock and Evan Bates, Caroline Green and Michael Parsons, Katarina Wolfkostin and Jeffrey Chen

Grand Prix Espoo
Oona Brown and Gage Brown, Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko, Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker

Sylvia

TBD
2022-23 TEAM ENVELOPES (published by USFS on July 1, 2022):

TEAM A
Madison Chock & Evan Bates
Caroline Green & Michael Parsons
Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker

TEAM B
Emily Bratti & Ian Somerville S5
Oona Brown & Gage Brown JW-1
Christina Carreira & Anthony Ponomarenko S7
Katarina Wolfkostin & Jeffrey Chen S6

TEAM C
Angela Ling & Caleb Wein J2
Leah Neset & Artem Markelov J1
Eva Pate & Logan Bye S8
Elliana Peal & Ethan Peal J3

TEAM D
Helena Carhart & Volodymyr Horovyi J5
Molly Cesanek & Yehor Yehorov S10
Jenna Hauer & Benjamin Starr J6
Lorraine McNamara & Anton Spiridonov S9
Vanessa Pham & Jonathan Rogers J4
Novice last season:
Julia Epps & Blake Gilman
Olivia Ilin & Dylan Cain
Sylvia Li & Rowan Le Coq

Copying over some relevant posts from last season's to this season's thread:
IDC's report from the Dallas Classic ice dance competition:

Dallas Classic FD music of U.S. teams, thanks to @TanithandBenFan's sister :):
Lorraine McNamara/Anton Spiridonov - "Rain in Your Black Eyes"
Emilea Zingas/Vadym Kolesnik - Phillip Glass "Metamorphosis" and violin concerto; "Truman Sleeps" from The Truman Show
Raffaella Koncius/Alexey Shchepetov - W.E. soundtrack

Junior FD music:
Neset/Markelov - Pirates of the Caribbean
Larson/Young - "Steppin Out With my Baby"/"Don't Mean a Thing"
Epps/Gilman - Bruno Mars "Talking to the Moon" and "Runaway Baby"
The Peals - Halo soundtracks
Hauer/Starr - Pina soundtrack
Pham & Rogers - Scheherazade

Senior teams currently in USFS' International Selection Pool (12):
Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville
Oona Brown and Gage Brown
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
Molly Cesanek and Yehor Yehorov
Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Caroline Green and Michael Parsons
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker
Angela Ling and Caleb Wein
Lorraine McNamara and Anton Spiridonov
Eva Pate and Logan Bye
Katarina Wolfkostin and Jeffrey Chen
Emilia Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik (added after Dallas Classic)

Junior teams in ISP (7):
Kristina Bland and Matthew Sperry (added after Dallas Classic)
Helena Carhart and Volodymyr Horovyi
Jenna Hauer and Benjamin Starr
Caroline Mullen and Brendan Mullen
Leah Neset and Artem Markelov
Elliana Peal and Ethan Peal
Vanessa Pham and Jonathan Rogers
Update: Top 10 summer scores for junior teams.
(Teams in bold are currently on the ISP. Let me know if you see any corrections that I need to make).

Neset & Markelov-160.13 (Dallas Classic)
Pham & Rogers-140.77 (Dallas Classic)
Hauer & Starr-140.70 (Dallas Classic)
Carhart & Horovyi-136.59 (Orange Blossom Open)
The Peals-135.55 (Dallas Classic)
Bland & Sperry-130.86 (Dallas Classic)
Larson & Kapran-126.99 (Orange Blossom Open)
Epps & Gilman-108.90 (Dallas Classic)
Larson & Young-106.51 (Orange Blossom Open)
O'Brien & Wei-103.91 (Dallas Classic)

Mullen & Mullen-none yet.

*Technically, I believe the RD and FD events at the Orange Blossom Open were separate events. I just added the scores.
Cesanek/Yehorov and McNamara/Spiridonov were the only teams mentioned by name in the press release for the Lake Placid Ice Dance International/Championships club competition being held July 27-29 (there's a competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section but no info available yet about entries or livestreaming).

Last edited:

Ena Grins

I'm bummed Ling/Wein didn't get any GP spots; they can be really strong technically. I hope they'll be in contention for the SkAm host pick.

Also, I'm relieved to finally know that the Browns and Wolfkostin/Chen are going senior! There's going to be strong competition for US seniors 4-6 (or even 3-6, though I doubt it).

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I'm bummed Ling/Wein didn't get any GP spots; they can be really strong technically. I hope they'll be in contention for the SkAm host pick.

Are they planning on doing any summer competitions? It would be nice to see Ling/Wein, Bratti/Somerville, and Pate/Bye's current shape before the spot is awarded. McNamara/Spiridonov (already competed at Dallas Classic) and Cesanek/Yehorov will compete at Lake Placid.

If not the GP, I would expect to see Ling/Wein on the Challenger circuit.

Debbie S

layman

Here's an IDC article about the new team of Emilea Zingas/Vadym Kolesnik. Their first tryout was suggested and arranged by Igor Shpilband.

Even though Emilea Zingas is brand new to Ice Dance, after watching some vids of her singles skating on You Tube, I can see why Igor Shpildband was so excited about her potential (in Ice Dance). In her singles programs, I see great foot work, fantastic posture, beautiful extension through her limbs, wonderful body line (even through to the tips of her fingers) and great expression and sensitivity to her music, which are all great attributes for dance.

layman

2022-23 TEAM ENVELOPES (published by USFS on July 1, 2022):

TEAM A
Madison Chock & Evan Bates
Caroline Green & Michael Parsons
Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker

TEAM B
Emily Bratti & Ian Somerville S5
Oona Brown & Gage Brown JW-1
Christina Carreira & Anthony Ponomarenko S7
Katarina Wolfkostin & Jeffrey Chen S6

TEAM C
Angela Ling & Caleb Wein J2
Leah Neset & Artem Markelov J1
Eva Pate & Logan Bye S8
Elliana Peal & Ethan Peal J3

TEAM D
Helena Carhart & Volodymyr Horovyi J5
Molly Cesanek & Yehor Yehorov S10
Jenna Hauer & Benjamin Starr J6
Lorraine McNamara & Anton Spiridonov S9
Vanessa Pham & Jonathan Rogers J4
Novice last season:
Julia Epps & Blake Gilman
Olivia Ilin & Dylan Cain
Sylvia Li & Rowan Le Coq

Copying over some relevant posts from last season's to this season's thread:

Dallas Classic FD music of U.S. teams, thanks to @TanithandBenFan's sister :):

Senior teams currently in USFS' International Selection Pool (12):
Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville
Oona Brown and Gage Brown
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
Molly Cesanek and Yehor Yehorov
Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Caroline Green and Michael Parsons
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker
Angela Ling and Caleb Wein
Lorraine McNamara and Anton Spiridonov
Eva Pate and Logan Bye
Katarina Wolfkostin and Jeffrey Chen
Emilia Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik (added after Dallas Classic)

Junior teams in ISP (7):
Kristina Bland and Matthew Sperry (added after Dallas Classic)
Helena Carhart and Volodymyr Horovyi
Jenna Hauer and Benjamin Starr
Caroline Mullen and Brendan Mullen
Leah Neset and Artem Markelov
Elliana Peal and Ethan Peal
Vanessa Pham and Jonathan Rogers

Cesanek/Yehorov and McNamara/Spiridonov were the only teams mentioned by name in the press release for the Lake Placid Ice Dance International/Championships club competition being held July 27-29 (there's a competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section but no info available yet about entries or livestreaming).
This is a really strong crop of American Ice Dancers. I am very excited about what the next four (plus) years may bring (in Ice Dance) and I look forward to following all the teams!

sk9tingfan

:( Molly Cesanek posted last night that she and Yegor will not be able to make their planned season debut in Lake Placid this week because she is recovering from emergency surgery for acute appendicitis that happened a little over a week ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/CgdBjgnLzZo/
Thank goodness for laparoscopic surgery. In the old days, her recovery might have taken her out for months. Wishing her a quick recovery!

Sylvia

TBD
Elliana & Ethan Peal and Vanessa Pham & Jonathan Rogers (Team USA debut) will make their respective JGP debuts in Courchevel, France, August 24-27. :)

The 4 alternates listed on the ISU entries page are:
Kristina BLAND / Matthew SPERRY
Helena CARHART / Volodymyr HOROVYI
Jenna HAUER / Benjamin STARR
Leah NESET / Artem MARKELOV

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
:( Molly Cesanek posted last night that she and Yegor will not be able to make their planned season debut in Lake Placid this week because she is recovering from emergency surgery for acute appendicitis that happened a little over a week ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/CgdBjgnLzZo/
Noooo but hopefully she will heal quickly and be ready for the rest of the season.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Link to the Lake Placid Dance [club & international] competition thread that I just updated in Kiss & Cry: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ice-dancing-championship-july-26-29th.109497/
There doesn't appear to be a livestreaming option this year. :(
For those who can't access the Kiss & Cry, the Lake Placid Ice Dance International starting orders/results link is posted in the Dance Hall thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ma-samba-2022-2023.109753/page-5#post-6279045

Dobre

(Teams in bold are currently on the ISP. Let me know if you see any corrections that I need to make).

Pham & Rogers-145.70 (Lake Placid International)
Carhart & Horovyi-141.83 (Lake Placid International)
The Peals-140.77 (Lake Placid International)
Ilin & Cain-126.58 (Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships)
Epps & Gilman-120.45 (Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships)
Larson & Young-107.48 (Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships)
Chen & Liu-106.89 (Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships)

*Technically, the RD and FD events at the Orange Blossom Open were separate events. I just added the scores.

Lots of teams earned new high scores at Lake Placid, but I don't think we'll see any new junior teams on the ISP with them as no one passed Larson & Kapran's score from their earlier event. Still a nice junior debut for Ilin & Cain and over a 10 point jump up for Epps & Gilman relative to their previous high.

skateguy776

Lake Placid was a great outing for a lot of teams and solo ice dancers.

I think Pham and Rogers are the team to watch out for this season! They’ve really improved over the past few seasons and if they keep up this momentum they could earn their second junior national medal this season.

I also want to point out some solo dancers that could be in contention for the Junior and Senior National Podium.

Amal Israilova of the Panthers FSC, won the Junior Solo Dance Event Lake Placid and sported just a little over what she scored at the Orange Blossom Open a few weeks ago. Nicole Kirsanov placed second and also has the potential to be on the National podium in juniors as well.

For Senior, Brooke Tufts sported a 155 and won the division. Which is higher than her previous score which I believe was 150. Right now for Senior Solo in the United States it is pretty stacked, just like team dance.

Past nationals results will be in parentheses.

Contenders for the national podium in Senior Solo seem to be…

Brooke Tufts(S1)
Lucas Appel(N1- 2019)
Hannah Kim(J4)
Kiana Pan(S6)
Anna Lewis(S2)
Sophie Lewis(S3)
Adrienne Carhart(N1- 2018)
Abby Mumby(J2)
Shin Lei Case(S11)
Marius Driscoll(S8)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Pham & Rogers-145.70 (Lake Placid International)
Carhart & Horovyi-141.83 (Lake Placid International)
The Peals-140.77 (Lake Placid International)
Ilin & Cain-126.58 (Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships)
Epps & Gilman-120.45 (Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships)
Larson & Young-107.48 (Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships)
Chen & Liu-106.89 (Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships)

*Technically, the RD and FD events at the Orange Blossom Open were separate events. I just added the scores. ...

Freeman/Bennett 115.96 (Lake Placid Ice Dance International) belong on the list above Larson/Young.

... Lots of teams earned new high scores at Lake Placid, but I don't think we'll see any new junior teams on the ISP with them as no one passed Larson & Kapran's score from their earlier event.

As a theoretical matter: I don't think we know whether the required score for ISP is above Larson/Kapran's -- because they will represent Ukraine.
Seems to me that we cannot rule out the possibility that a score below their 126.99 could be sufficient for addition to USFS ISP?

... Still a nice junior debut for Ilin & Cain and over a 10 point jump up for Epps & Gilman relative to their previous high.

Meanwhile, I believe I heard in the special Lake Placid edition of This Week In Skating podcast that two couples from Lake Placid are not age-eligible to compete as juniors internationally. I think the implication was that they are Ilin/Cain and Epps/Gilman? Did I understand that correctly?

Last edited:

Dobre

Ah.

123.63 at Nationals was not enough for Bland & Sperry to be named heading into this season. But if all of the above is true, then you're correct about the 126.99.

@skateguy776 , thank you for sharing your thoughts. Can you tell us anything about Bratti & Somerville's, Sales & Wamsteeker's, or Ilin & Cain's music/programs?

Sylvia

TBD
Meanwhile, I believe I heard in the special Lake Placid edition of This Week In Skating podcast that two couples from Lake Placid are not age-eligible to compete as juniors internationally. I think the implication was that they are Ilin/Cain and Epps/Gilman? Did I understand that correctly?
I found a reference online that at 2019 U.S. Nationals, Olivia Ilin and Dylan Cain won the Juvenile Dance title as "the youngest skaters on the podium at ages 9 and 10" and subsquently learned that Olivia turned 13 last month (after July 1; he will turn 14 this month) so Ilin/Cain are not ISU Junior age-eligible this year. I assume Julia Epps is also too young?

Ilin/Cain have posted 4 Junior RD photos on their team account: https://www.instagram.com/p/CgqTAEjD4Md/
Coach: @dimailin_ [her father]
Choreography: @gzuerlein
Argentine Tango: @thetangoclubdc @catrinel.iftode [professionals Gabriel Gaumond & Catrinel Iftode]
Music: @sk8mixhugo
Costumes: @feelingmathieucaron
Home Club: @washingtonfigureskating
Their FD is to Grease - IDC has photos in their LPIDC gallery: https://photos2.ice-dance.com/2022-23/22LPIDC/Jr/FD/page/2/

Last edited:

ice coverage

I found a reference online that at 2019 U.S. Nationals, Olivia Ilin and Dylan Cain won the Juvenile Dance title as "the youngest skaters on the podium at ages 9 and 10" and subsquently learned that Olivia turned 13 last month (after July 1; he will turn 14 this month) so Ilin/Cain are not ISU Junior age-eligible this year. I assume Julia Epps is also too young? ...

You inspired me :) to poke around a little regarding Julia ❤️, and I think you are correct that she is too young.

She was age 10 in Aug 2020, when she was featured in Skating magazine's Kids Spotlight. And her birthday is in September, per an old IDC post.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Since it looks like the U.S. won’t use all its JGP spots (based on the number of age-eligible teams in ISP), I hope they are planning to send these younger teams to Advanced Novice internationals.

azcalder

Ah.

123.63 at Nationals was not enough for Bland & Sperry to be named heading into this season. But if all of the above is true, then you're correct about the 126.99.

@skateguy776 , thank you for sharing your thoughts. Can you tell us anything about Bratti & Somerville's, Sales & Wamsteeker's, or Ilin & Cain's music/programs?
Bratti & Somerville - LaLaLand. Sales & Wamsteeker - Phantom of the Opera

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information