U.S. Ice Dance 2022-23 news & updates

ice coverage

I don't believe any other Senior teams have the required minimum scores for Nationals? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

ETA from November 22, 2022:

This just in: Caroline Depietri / TJ Carey have been added today to 2023 Nats roster, per USFS pages.

They did/do have both TES minimums for 2023 Nats.

I guess TJ Carey un-retired to seize this unexpected opportunity? Which is totally understandable.

(Lest anyone wonder: Depietri/Carey placed 7th at U.S. Ice Dance Final. Kowar/Schwappach placed 8th.)

ice coverage

That was why he was so distraught at the dance final in Norwood. His dad said that this was going to be his last try at going to Nationals.

I have no insight into what goals Kowar/Schwappach have at this point, but the partnership seems to still be active, per social media as recently as a couple of weeks ago.
(Also: FWIW, they performed in Vail in December.)

2022-23 was their first season together. If they decide to try for 2024 Nats, I'll be rooting for them. 👏 🤗

Last edited:

topaz

Not that Green/Parsons and Carreira/Ponomarenko are lacking in motivation before these championships, but with a silver medal on the line now, maybe there will be an extra fire lit under them. Like I said, G/P and C/P are both already hungry and this won't ultimately hurt Hawayek/Baker's rankings domestically, as H/B have earned an opportunity to miss a competition, IMO, but every little opportunity to place higher than expected can't help but add just a little more motivation.

Those my thoughts exactly. US Dance always seems to have fantastic rivalries within the country. We have a few young teams that are going to be fighting it out over the next several years.

sk8nlizard

This just in: Caroline Depietri / TJ Carey have been added today to 2023 Nats roster, per USFS pages.

They did/do have both TES minimums for 2023 Nats.

I guess TJ Carey un-retired to seize this unexpected opportunity? Which is totally understandable.

(Lest anyone wonder: Depietri/Carey placed 7th at U.S. Ice Dance Final. Kowar/Schwappach placed 8th.)
I’m glad to see this. In past, the rule has been that if someone got a bye to Nationals (like H/B), if they withdrew their slot would not be filled. But maybe with USFS limiting the number of people qualifying to Nationals to a smaller number, they are making other rules. I think it’s great to give more teams/skaters the opportunity to compete at Nationals!

ice coverage

I’m glad to see this. In past, the rule has been that if someone got a bye to Nationals (like H/B), if they withdrew their slot would not be filled. But maybe with USFS limiting the number of people qualifying to Nationals to a smaller number, they are making other rules. I think it’s great to give more teams/skaters the opportunity to compete at Nationals!

Yes, Rule 2521 regarding seniors was changed at USFS Governing Council, Apr 29-30, 2022.
The change is shown on p. 58 of 2021-22 Combined Report of Action.

2521 For the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, there are no alternates for the championship (senior events). Alternates for the junior events alternates are designated as follows as follows [sic]:​
A. For senior events:
1. Singles skaters who have met the minimum TES, in the order of their scores, nationwide, from their respective
sectional singles final. In the case of a tie, it will be broken by the free skate score.
2. Pairs and dance teams who have met the minimum TES, in the order of their scores at the U.S. Pairs and U.S. Ice
Dance Final.​

When the previous version of Rule 2521 was in effect, I think it was the same rule regardless of whether a senior entry who withdrew had a bye or not? No alternates for senior events at Nats regardless, until the change for 2022-23.
(Junior events at Nats previously had alternates, and still do.)

Firedancer

So sad we won’t get to see H/B at nationals. It seemed like they started off really strong at Skate America and have struggled with injuries since then. I hope they can heal and be ready for worlds.

Dobre

Hawayek and Baker have withdrawn from Nationals!
Ah.

Well, it seemed like a big ask that they were going to be able to keep pushing a knee injury in this discipline. I hope they can set themselves on the mend. I know this is such a big year for the teams hoping to grab the opportunity of moving up after retirements (and then the Russian teams out on top of that); but health does have to come first. (Also, I feel like H&B's RD this season is such a nice fit for their personalities on the ice.)

Along with getting another team into 4CCs, this could maybe bump another team up enough to get funding.

Barbara Manatee

Ouch! for Emily - what a scary fall.

Ian comes off as a more empathetic partner than I expected. Either he's matured a lot or the reports of his previous behavior weren't altogether accurate.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Really interesting article on Bratti & Somerville from our @clairecloutier

They talk about how they got together and about the injury they had last summer, :eek: I did not know about that!

Bratti and Somervillle: Rising Through the Ranks
Thanks, that was a good read. So sorry about their injury, glad she has healed. It was good to read how close they are and that bodes well for a long term partnership. Looking forward to seeing them skate (on tv, lol) You know, reading about their mental trauma from that fall, it helps to understand why H/B described their mental state as reason for withdrawing from Nats, skating with an injury or even a recovering injury is pretty traumatizing I would think.

DreamSkates

Hawayek and Baker have withdrawn from Nationals!

“After much consideration, we have decided to withdraw from the 2023 Toyota U.S. Championship

Over the past 18 months, our team has dealt with significant physical injuries that have led to challenges in our mental health & we feel it is in our best interest to prioritize this currently."(2/3) #USChamps23

We are grateful to have the collective support of our whole team behind this decision and cannot thank them enough. We will use this time to come back stronger with the intention to petition for a spot on the 2023 World Team.” (3/3) #USChamps23
Can someone please explain what lingering injuries? I'm so sad to hear this but have high hopes they'll return strong in the near future and continue.

flatfoot

H/B have been my absolute favourite team as they seem to have the whole package:
Sublime skating skills, absolute grace in dealing with being the underdogs, the delivery of great dad jokes and what seems to be very sweet and sincere personalities and strength and courage when dealing with important issues which makes them wonderful role models. I hope they reach their goals both in the short term and looking further forward

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Avonley Nguyen is featured in the Athlete Corner in this month’s Skating magazine, and the article says she has given up skating to pursue a career in sports medicine and orthopedics. I wish she had been able to continue in the sport because she was so talented, but I hope this next chapter will be great for her.

CesYeg

Avonley Nguyen is featured in the Athlete Corner in this month’s Skating magazine, and the article says she has given up skating to pursue a career in sports medicine and orthopedics. I wish she had been able to continue in the sport because she was so talented, but I hope this next chapter will be great for her.
Best wishes for her future endeavors. Did she ever give any reason as to why she and Kolesnik had split?

VGThuy

I always assumed it was something personal and as they were both young teens, I would just leave well enough alone until one of them chooses to speak out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information