U.S. Ice Dance 2020-21 season news & updates

layman

I was looking at the list of US Ice Dance Junior Champions (for the past 20 years) and I saw some interesting patterns. If the teams stuck together, then they won World or Olympic titles but sadly most of the US Ice Dance Junior Champions split up before reaching those heights (of success).

For example, Davis and White won in 2006 and were Olympic Champions (first ever for the US) in 2014. The Shibutanis won in in 2010 and were Olympic Bronze medalists in 2018.

If this pattern holds true then I see great things ahead for Carreira and Ponamarenko (winners in 2018) and Hawayek and Baker (winners in 2014) if they stick together, as it takes roughly 8 years to go from US Junior National Champion to Olympic (or World) Champion. I wish them luck.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I was looking at the list of US Ice Dance Junior Champions (for the past 20 years) and I saw some interesting patterns. If the teams stuck together, then they won World or Olympic titles but sadly most of the US Ice Dance Junior Champions split up before reaching those heights (of success).

For example, Davis and White won in 2006 and were Olympic Champions (first ever for the US) in 2014. The Shibutanis won in in 2010 and were Olympic Bronze medalists in 2018.

If this pattern holds true then I see great things ahead for Carreira and Ponamarenko (winners in 2018) and Hawayek and Baker (winners in 2014) if they stick together, as it takes roughly 8 years to go from US Junior National Champion to Olympic (or World) Champion. I wish them luck.

Is your sample size 2?

layman

Is your sample size 2?
Not at all. The sample size was 19 (winners of the US Junior National Figure Skating Championships) over the past 20 years (Matthews & Zavozin and McNamara & Carpenter won twice) but only Belbin & Agosto, Davis & White and the Shibutanis stuck together long enough to win World and Olympic medals.

Sylvia

TBD
This photo made me smile today :): https://www.instagram.com/p/CItoRbrrVsc/
(This is the team account of the 2020 U.S. Dance Final Intermediate silver medalists.)

ETA:
Jordan Cowan recently filmed Oona & Gage Brown's new Junior FD to "Nothing Else Matters" (choreo. by Joel Dear) at the Bryant Park rink in NYC:
Part 1: https://www.instagram.com/p/CITGz06nLuB/
Part 2: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIX3aZIHRw6/
(to be continued -
Belatedly, here are parts 3 & 4: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIdPkmVr9fI/

Post #122 has the full version on YouTube.

Last edited:

skylark

The Browns' performance:

Wow. Wow. Wow. I just saw this.

Look at their faces! Look at her dazzling smile and his grin! Look at their stretch, their lines, and their matching commitment and passion for the dance. I just fell in love, yet again, with another US Ice Dance Team.

beckab81

Not at all. The sample size was 19 (winners of the US Junior National Figure Skating Championships) over the past 20 years (Matthews & Zavozin and McNamara & Carpenter won twice) but only Belbin & Agosto, Davis & White and the Shibutanis stuck together long enough to win World and Olympic medals.

I think you're ignoring an important data point - Hubbell/Bates/Chock all won with different partners, and went on to win world medals. So 3 teams stayed together & won world medals, and 3 teams that broke up had partners move on to win world medals.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I think you're ignoring an important data point - Hubbell/Bates/Chock all won with different partners, and went on to win world medals. So 3 teams stayed together & won world medals, and 3 teams that broke up had partners move on to win world medals.

Yeah, I mean teams that split up by definition couldn’t win would medals together.

Colonel Green

Oona and Gage’s video has already logged over half a million views — I guess it must have gotten shared somewhere highly visible?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Wow. Wow. Wow. I just saw this.

Look at their faces! Look at her dazzling smile and his grin! Look at their stretch, their lines, and their matching commitment and passion for the dance. I just fell in love, yet again, with another US Ice Dance Team.
I fell for them last season but this FD is a quantum leap forward. 2026 has a new contender.

Sylvia

TBD
USFS published the list of 2021 Nationals qualifiers today - copying out all the ice dance teams/clubs below.

Championship Ice Dance (13)
Hilary Asher (Skokie Valley SC) and Ryan O'Donnell (The SC of Houston) - new
Adrienne Carhart (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Ivan Gurianov (Individual Member) - new
Christina Carreira (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Anthony Ponomarenko (The Skating Club of San Francisco, Inc) BYE
Molly Cesanek (ION Figure Skating Club) and Yehor Yehorov (Peninsula SC) Bye-ISP PC
Madison Chock (All Year FSC) and Evan Bates (Ann Arbor FSC) BYE
Caroline Green (Pavilion SC of Cleveland Heights) and Michael Parsons (Washington FSC) BYE
Kaitlin Hawayek (Detroit SC, Inc.) and Jean-Luc Baker (Seattle SC) BYE
Madison Hubbell (Lansing SC) and Zachary Donohue (Lansing SC) BYE
Lorraine McNamara (Peninsula SC) and Anton Spiridonov (ION Figure Skating Club) - new/Bye-ISP PC
Cara Murphy (Arctic FSC) and Joshua Levitt (Pittsburgh FSC, Inc.) - new
Eva Pate (The Strongsville SC) and Logan Bye (The SC of New York, Inc. Bye-ISP PC
Livvy Shilling (Columbus FSC) and Alexander Petrov (Hershey FSC)
Breelie Taylor (Atlanta FSC) and Tyler Vollmer (Los Angeles FSC) - J14 at 2020 Nationals

Junior Ice Dance (10)
Oona Brown (The SC of New York, Inc.) and Gage Brown (The SC of New York, Inc.) - J3/in ISP
Katarina DelCamp (Dallas FSC, Inc.) and Ian Somerville (Washington FSC) - J5/in ISP
Isabella Flores (Broadmoor SC, Inc.) and Dimitry Tsarevski (All Year FSC) - new
Angela Ling (Peninsula SC) and Caleb Wein (Washington FSC) - J6/in ISP
Leah Neset (Magic City FSC) and Artem Markelov (Magic City FSC) - new
Elliana Peal (Scott Hamilton SC) and Ethan Peal (Scott Hamilton SC) - N1 at Dance Final/in ISP
Vanessa Pham (The SC of Houston) and Jonathan Rogers (Texas Gulf Coast FSC) - N8 at Dance Final
Elizabeth Tkachenko (Washington FSC) and Alexei Kiliakov (Washington FSC) - J7/in ISP
Gracie Vainik (SC of Novi) and Daniel Brykalov (All Year FSC) - new
Katarina Wolfkostin (Peninsula SC) and Jeffrey Chen (Peninsula SC) - J2/in ISP

Last edited:

mjb52

So is there still no news about new partners for Nguyen or Kolesnik or did I just miss it?

Debbie S

So is there still no news about new partners for Nguyen or Kolesnik or did I just miss it?
It was reported during the summer that Vadym was skating with Anya Lavrova. But since they didn't enter the qual series, it looks like that is no more. Or perhaps they decided to forgo Nats and focus on training for this season?

Per IG, Avonley seems to be in MI but no partner yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information