U.S. Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

Colonel Green

The thought of Greens maybe breaking up depresses the heck out of me :drama:
I was thinking their absence from the roster might have something to do with the health issues that kept them out of the first half of last season, but I guess that would be even worse than them breaking up.

If it's a breakup, that's got some real awkwardness potential around the Green household.

Dobre

I will miss Gropman & Somerville together as a team as they have quite wonderful expression. G&S have been together longer than almost everyone in the current U.S. dance field. Maybe longer than everyone who competed this season except McNamara & Carpenter?

Given that they're at the same rink, I would imagine that if Michael hasn't already found somebody, he's considered Eliana. It's understandable that she's still reeling, but I hope she gives it a shot. I think they would make a good match, and I have a hard time imagining them finding better partners that are as convenient(no coach or country hopping).

Eliana Gropman is age appropriate for Michael and close to aging up. She is also short enough for him. (Basically Eliana & Shpilevaya are the two ladies coming up over the past several years that have always appeared unlikely to outgrow the shorter guys in the field, and he's one of the stronger shorter guys in the field). I've always thought Eliana & Michael would be a very logical team if he elected to repartner. I wouldn't have advocated for it because the Parsons had strong speed and unison that I think you can't just replicate with a new partner; but with Rachel pulling out, I would go for it if he doesn't already have a partner. Eliana is very expressive. She has a lot of experience in dance. And they would have a different dynamic and the ability to tackle some elements together that were not possible with their previous partners. Different strengths, essentially. I think they would go quite well together.

Colonel Green

Assuming the ISU bio stats are up to date, Eliana is about two inches shorter than Rachel, so that would be advantageous physically if she teamed up with Michael.

Dobre

Cheers to Cesanek & Yehorov for their listing now on the ISP. (Probably he needed to wait out the year after skating for Ukraine the previous season).

Athletes now off Ice Partner Search: Jeffrey Chen, Benjamin Starr, Alexander Colucci.

The most obvious lady to me that is currently MIA is Katarina Wolfkostin. (I would guess she has a partner).

Last edited:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
WHEATON! What are you doing to all my favorite teams? :eek::wuzrobbed

Parsons/Parsons
Gropman/Somerville
Gunter/Wein
Green/Green
?

The Parsons' split is very understandable and health should come first. I will miss them together because they had amazing unison and wonderful deep edges. Their Queen FD at nationals showed real promise and it's sad that it won't ever be fully developed. Best wishes to both members as they move on. He-Parsons will be a real catch for his new partner, but She-Parsons is not that easily replaced. It didn't look like anyone was available for him in his league until reading about Gropman/Somerville's split. :wideeyes:

Gropman/Somerville had been so perfectly-matched size-wise, and having been together so long, this split really is shocking. Gropman, give Michael Parsons a call if you decide you still want to skate! Gropman's instagram message is really sad; what are the coaches doing at Wheaton if they're allowing teams to break up over email and arranging new partnerships while one partner is on vacation? I eagerly await finding out who Somerville's new partner is. OTOH, I'm having some Yankowskas/Coughlin feelings abut the shady way this happened so it may take a while for me to be a fan. :drama:

Green/Green: another split(?) that would be really shocking. OTOH, they are siblings who may eventually become a size mismatch and they're limited in which dance themes they can explore. Maybe it's better to break up now and find new partners while they're young instead of doing great in junior and then never breaking through in senior. Most sibling teams aren't the Shibs. If they have split, I hope they each find well-suited partners and continue.

Man, it really seems like an end of an era at Wheaton with McNamara/Carpenter as the only team left standing. These teams were together so long and we've been able to watch them grow together for year. Can't think of a year with this many break-ups since 2011 when the Shibs' surprise world medal sent a seismic shock through the U.S. dance scene. Sad that all these old faves won't be around this upcoming season. :(

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
So from junior nationals we have:

GOLD Caroline Green/Green, Washington FSC 172.54 NOT in ISP
SILVER Nguyen/Kolesnik, SC of Novi 171.06
BRONZE Gropman/Somerville, Washington FSC 155.46 SPLIT
PEWTER Brown/Brown, SC of New York 153.67
5 Cesanek/Yehorov, Peninsula SC 144.23
6 Haines/Koszuta, Glacier Falls FSC 136.64 SPLIT, she retired
7 Ales/Tsarik, SC of Novi 132.24
8 Elder/Elder, Louisville Skating Academy 131.94
9 Wolfkostin/Zhao, Detroit SC 127.63 SPLIT
10 DelCamp/Gart, All Year FSC 121.52 SPLIT
11 Efimova/Petrov, Hershey FSC 119.73 SPLIT
12 Purnell/Purnell, Louisville Skating Academy 108.10 SPLIT

13 Udell/Udell, All Year FSC 53.96

Lots of room for new pairings and up-from-novice teams to get a JGP assignment.

Dobre

It reminds me a bit of 2011-12. I knew we were spoiled having so many of the junior teams stick together 2014-2018. (The top Wheaton teams have been together longer than most of the dance teams from other clubs. This is why it's surprising, along with the fact that these teams compose 2/3rds of the current podium at Junior Nationals).

Green/Green: another split(?) that would be really shocking. OTOH, they are siblings who may eventually become a size mismatch

Gordon is already taller than the shorter guys in the dance field though? It's hard to tell with online profiles because the athlete info doesn't always get updated, and I didn't go to Nationals this year. But as far as I can tell, he is taller than Michael and Ian. Of the Wheaton guys (those currently without a partner as far as we know), Wein and Becker are both listed as a few centimeters taller.

(I don't suppose someone could talk Chloe into coming back. Chloe Lewis & Kana Muramoto, I have missed a lot this season).

AYS

🌻
Personally, I would have liked to have seen the award go to Manta/Johnson. While they are not a “top tier” team, I thought their program was innovative, crowd pleasing, and skated impeccably!!!
While I loved C/B FD performance, I'm absolutely shocked the award didn't go to Manta/Johnson. It seems like they've been less willing in recent times than they were early on to go with the occasional lower ranked performance that was very impactful.

just wondering

Two observations:
1. Eliana did not specify who sent or signed the email. Only that she received the news via email.
2. This whole process is a micro-incident, giving us a glimpse of why females in the skating world can feel so replaceable. Moments like this, or others that underscore their disposability, make it easier for female skaters to elevate perceived imperfections and absorb them at damaging levels.
What a crappy way to begin an adult life. That said, Eliana is tough and resilient! She will make this a launching pad for great endeavors.

Lara111

Two observations:
1. Eliana did not specify who sent or signed the email. Only that she received the news via email.
2. This whole process is a micro-incident, giving us a glimpse of why females in the skating world can feel so replaceable. Moments like this, or others that underscore their disposability, make it easier for female skaters to elevate perceived imperfections and absorb them at damaging levels.
What a crappy way to begin an adult life. That said, Eliana is tough and resilient! She will make this a launching pad for great endeavors.
This happen not to females only. We all know several girls who jump from one guy to another hoping they will lift them up in standings. They get rid of guys just like that as well. This is unfortunately a nature of ice dance. I just know that people who do that will not be very successful.

Dobre

There are a number of short guys with experience looking for dance partners. Short guys and tall girls--those are the athletes that often have difficulty finding a partner that is technically comparable. If she isn't calling athletes, I would hope someone might call her.

(Just repeating that Gropman & Somerville have been together longer than most dance teams in the U.S. dance field. Longer than the current top 3 senior teams, I think. So we are not talking about athletes that have jumped around here).

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Gordon is already taller than the shorter guys in the dance field though?

He is tall, but Caroline Green is also tall and has more years to grow.

(Just repeating that Gropman & Somerville have been together longer than most dance teams in the U.S. dance field. Longer than the current top 3 senior teams, I think. So we are not talking about athletes that have jumped around here).

Gropman/Somerville began skating together in 2009 according to their ice-dance.com profile. They won their first national medal, juvenile gold, in 2012--the same season that Chock/Bates and Hubbell/Donohue first competed together.

just wondering

This happen not to females only. We all know several girls who jump from one guy to another hoping they will lift them up in standings. They get rid of guys just like that as well. This is unfortunately a nature of ice dance. I just know that people who do that will not be very successful.

Agree. Not just females. It's a sport, and of course, skaters will partner hop for an advantage - even a perceived one. That's to be expected. It's not necessarily the movement or hopping that's problematic, rather the manner in which it is done.

In other words, the general treatment of females as compared to males in the sport, overall, is distinctly different. E.g., Russian pipeline of female skaters. It's a scarcity issue. In most any year the number of female skaters across all disciplines exceeds the number of male skaters. (But this is an ice dance thread, so I'll stick with that.)

Systemically, the supply and demand issue is unlikely to change. But, the treatment of and level of respect extended to people (male or female) can and should improve. This change would be meaningful for the person receiving the dismissal and requires little effort on the part of the person who made the decision.

But even if a situation is handled with the upmost respect and care, the person left behind can be devastated. It is critical that skaters are taught and nurtured to find value in life and in their self-worth outside the world of skating throughout their skating career. At some point, competitive skating will end for every skater. It's easier to pick up the pieces and move on when you know who you are!

Dobre

He is tall, but Caroline Green is also tall and has more years to grow.

Yes, she may. This is why I found it questionable when people suggested after some event this year--Junior Worlds?--that she skate with Michael. As he is apparently already shorter than Gordon. And now people are thinking she might skate with Ian? He has grown over the past couple years so who knows how tall he is right now? But his bio still says he's shorter than Michael. Plus the Greens had/have more years of junior eligibility ahead of them than anyone placing at their level internationally. Anyway, I'm ??? as far as what is going on with the Greens, and since no one posting on the board knew about her illness last season, it doesn't seem too likely that we will get the answer promptly.

chameleonster

ISU bios are often out of date or inaccurate, so I don't hold to them as gospel, but Caroline does seem like she is, or may end up being kind of tall for Ian. She definitely is for Michael, aside from being, imo, too young.

All these splits are a little startling, especially with Wheaton having become known for longstanding partnerships, but given the pretty high retention rate US dance has had recently, we were bound to have a year with more splits sooner or later. It's the Greens mysterious situation that is really surprising to me, though.

Lara111

ISU bios are often out of date or inaccurate, so I don't hold to them as gospel, but Caroline does seem like she is, or may end up being kind of tall for Ian. She definitely is for Michael, aside from being, imo, too young.

All these splits are a little startling, especially with Wheaton having become known for longstanding partnerships, but given the pretty high retention rate US dance has had recently, we were bound to have a year with more splits sooner or later. It's the Greens mysterious situation that is really surprising to me, though.
I do not think that such number of splits and quits in one skating academy is a norm. Something is going on there. As far as Michael and Caroline we should wait and see. I personally do not see them together and would not pair them up but who knows. I just think Caroline could enjoy a few years of Junior success without pressure of competing in Seniors. Michael would probably be good with Eliana though.

Colonel Green

I do not think that such number of splits and quits in one skating academy is a norm. Something is going on there.
You will necessarily have instances where the churn among teams is above average. Rachel Parsons' health issues wouldn't have anything to do with Somerville breaking up with Gropman, and we don't have any idea what's up with the Greens, but given last season that could well also be health-related.

AYS

🌻
I do not think that such number of splits and quits in one skating academy is a norm. Something is going on there. As far as Michael and Caroline we should wait and see. I personally do not see them together and would not pair them up but who knows. I just think Caroline could enjoy a few years of Junior success without pressure of competing in Seniors. Michael would probably be good with Eliana though.
With the caveat that it's impossible for someone on the outside to know what went on, even if we had more information, BUT - If the Wheaton coaches had anything to do with how the G/S split happened (and if Ian was already training with a new partner, it seems like they must have at least known and possibly orchestrated, depending on who the new partner is), I wouldn't continue to work with them, if I were Eliana.

Sorry to hear all of this news, as it's been pleasure watching these teams develop from the time they were little kids (lucky to have had the opportunity to see them each year in competitions in the region). I wish them all the best moving forward, especially Rachel.

Debbie S

Why does no one suspect that the "master poacher" Igor has been at work here?
:confused: Because the teams and coaches involved are in a different program/rink hundreds of miles from Igor? It seems pretty clear that Ian and new partner are still in the Wheaton program.

(I don't suppose someone could talk Chloe into coming back. Chloe Lewis & Kana Muramoto, I have missed a lot this season).
Chloe posted on her IG recently that she will be attending USC next year.

rinkside

:confused: Because the teams and coaches involved are in a different program/rink hundreds of miles from Igor? It seems pretty clear that Ian and new partner are still in the Wheaton program.

Lets not forget the Beckers. Why did they break. Why did Luca take a year off and then get a new partner and now I don't think they are together. Right now Igor has a very promising senior and Jr team. Plus he has Yura and Daniel skating for Korea and I think they could become contenders, especially with the right programs.

Dobre

Lets not forget the Beckers. Why did they break. Why did Luca take a year off and then get a new partner and now I don't think they are together. Right now Igor has a very promising senior and Jr team. Plus he has Yura and Daniel skating for Korea and I think they could become contenders, especially with the right programs.

Which is the result of Aldridge & Eaton and Min & Gamelin splitting up. Plus Wolfkostin & Zhao and Efimova & Petrov.

Facing reality, I would estimate that we are down 15-16 U.S. junior dance teams since last summer. Probably that covers about every club with more than one junior dance team, no?

Sigh. I'd guess we get one, maybe two successful teams out of all this splitting up & shuffling of deck chairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information