U.S. Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

Carolla5501

He received scholarship also whitch is a lot of money. I don't think it has anything to do with US field when it come to deciding if they release someone or not.

"A lot of money". Hmmm... Not sure which "scholarship" you think he's receiving and I can't find any information, but based on what I have seen "a lot of money" and USFS Scholarship funds are not compatible statements. One of their press releases touts a generous $2,000!

I think they will release him because in spite of your continued statements that he got a "Lot of money" I don't think they actually have invested much in him at all.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Gianna Buckley and Kenan Slevira have teamed up and are interviewed briefly in this local Florida (Fort Myers-Naples news station) report about Marina Zoueva's academy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0roG3tHrKYo
Gianna was the 2018 Novice silver medalist (with Jeffrey Chen) and Kenan the 2018 Novice bronze medalist (with Caroline Liu); neither competed last season.

ETA: I am only assuming they have teamed up based on the video; they could just be practicing together in Florida right now.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Joe Johnson did an interview: https://soundcloud.com/sameteampodcast/joe-johnson

He mentions that he and Karina may not compete this season because of financial reasons. :( Which just reminds me of how pissed I was that USFSA didn't name them as the #3 alternative to Worlds in 2016 and instead left that slot blank. That would have bumped them up an envelope.
That is so unfortunate. Someone needs to start a Gofundme.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Looking forward to next season's GP:

-Hubbell/Donohue, (seeded), Chock/Bates (seeded), and Hawayek/Baker are guaranteed 2 GP spots based on worlds results.
-Parsons/Parsons (SB14), McNamara/Carpenter (SB16), Carreria/Ponomarenko (SB18) are guaranteed 1 based on SB. USFS better do their lobbying right so that each team gets two spots. :skandal

There probably won't be any new teams just up from junior debuting on GP. The top four junior teams are all young enough to stay junior and have more goals to go after on that level. Teams that would have aged out have split. If Manta/Johnson stick around, they are probably first in line for a host pick if USFS doesn't need it to ensure that all of M/C, Parsons, and C/P have two assignments.

It will be interesting to see who USFS invites to SA. Hubbell/Donohue and Chock/Bates are in different seeding groups, so they could take both of them if so inclined. Or they could protect H/D and hope that Chock/Bates do well against opponents in an away-field. As usual, whoever gets China or Japan gets a break because the local teams aren't that strong and it's neutral territory for the battle at the top.

Twizzler

Congrats to Chock/Bates and their team! The PSA award went to their FD. Which is good, because if it had gone to H/D's FD, it would have single-handedly invalidated any other award PSA has ever given.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen the award go to Manta/Johnson. While they are not a “top tier” team, I thought their program was innovative, crowd pleasing, and skated impeccably!!!

Debbie S

It will be interesting to see who USFS invites to SA. Hubbell/Donohue and Chock/Bates are in different seeding groups, so they could take both of them if so inclined. Or they could protect H/D and hope that Chock/Bates do well against opponents in an away-field. As usual, whoever gets China or Japan gets a break because the local teams aren't that strong and it's neutral territory for the battle at the top.
Japan will most likely have P/C (they've chosen NHK multiple times and I assume they enjoy competing there) and I'm guessing China will have SinKats, so those comps will also be a tough battle. The assignments for the 4-6 seeded group will depend on whether S/B compete in Russia along with SinKats or whether they or their fed prefer they go elsewhere. They theoretically have first pick in the 4-6 group. C/B theoretically will get whatever events S/B and W/P don't want, but since USFS is a host country, they do have some control over the process. I'm sure they will talk to C/B and their coaches and discuss what they want before the assignments meeting.

I would expect the Parsons, M/C, and C/P to get 2 spots. They did this year and they each earned a medal. And I agree that there won't be any new U.S. Senior teams, at least not among the top Juniors.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen the award go to Manta/Johnson. While they are not a “top tier” team, I thought their program was innovative, crowd pleasing, and skated impeccably!!!
Agree about M/J's FD (and I hope they can continue competing and get the SA spot!) but C/B's FD featured more difficulty and in terms of skating skills, C/B skated a stronger performance than M/J.

Dobre

I would expect the Parsons, M/C, and C/P to get 2 spots. They did this year and they each earned a medal.

I do believe they can each get two spots. That said, this is exactly why I wouldn't take it for granted that they will be easy to place for a second invite at a non-host event. They have one spot guaranteed. They don't have a second one guaranteed. And they all medaled. This means, they are a problem everywhere. They are a problem for Lauriault & Le Gac and Galayavieva & Thauron in France, for Lajoie & Lagha/Soucisse & Firus/Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen in Canada, for anyone who gets the third & possibly the second berth in Russia. And for the current national champions in China and Japan. (Probably Japan won't care. Most teams on the GP will be a problem for Komatsubara & Koleto).

Anyway, I think six teams ought to be placeable; but it may take a little work and some strategy to get them. And a host spot or two.

Or they could protect H/D and hope that Chock/Bates do well against opponents in an away-field. As usual, whoever gets China or Japan gets a break because the local teams aren't that strong and it's neutral territory for the battle at the top.

This is true for talented young teams just trying to break in, at least in China where all the host spots are often filled. But neutral territory often means the toughest battles at the top, since the top teams would rather meet their major competition in neutral territory than in someone's backyard. (Plus NHK is popular as there is money to be made touring there if you can develop a fan base). It's not an accident that Virtue & Moir, Papadakis & Cizeron, and Cappellini & Lanotte were all at NHK a few years ago. China had Papadakis & Cizeron, Chock & Bates, and Bobrova & Soloviev the last time it was held.

Having said that, I do think Chock & Bates could quite possibly have a better route away this coming season. Stepanova & Bukin and Weaver & Poje won't be in any of their fields. Plus it wouldn't be a bad thing to get a crack at a win over Sinitsina & Katsalapov, who will most likely be in China. There is the possibility that C&B could wind up at Rostelecom; but if that's going to happen, it will likely happen whether or not they go to SA. SA is pretty likely to be one of the tougher fields if C&B attend. If they do, the odds are all-but guaranteed that either Gilles & Poirier or Guignard & Fabbri will be there. (And Zagorski & Guerreiro wouldn't be a huge surprise as neither of the top two Russian teams would be there). That said, the reality is that you have to be able to defeat those teams no matter where you go. It could look different in the fall--or in June if we get surprises for who signs up for the GP; but as of now, the top six look likely to be well divided up.

Last edited:

Spiralgraph

It's like a giant chess game trying to figure out which each dance team will go to what GP for the best chances at medaling or winning. And what happens if the Shibs do come back to competition this coming season? Would they get the spot at SA? Oh my these early predictions would go out the window for the American teams.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Link to the GSD thread dedicated to Rachel Parsons: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/rachel-parsons-i’ve-decided-to-take-a-step-back-from-skating.105490/

Per her IG, [Elliana] Pogrebinsky has moved back to CA and is attending school full-time. Sounds like she is majoring in kinesiology/exercise science and she seems very happy.
Good to hear! From her IG story: "... I never thought I would enjoy school as much as I do now." She's at the University of San Francisco.

An update (wow!) on her former partner, originally posted yesterday in the "Dance Hall 6" thread:
Congrats to Alex Benoit who has been admitted for the MA program at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. It’s one of the most prestigious schools for acting and theatre out there and some of the most famous Brit actors got their start there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvy9sJXHKwH/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1tbq9qy5xwsf

Last edited:

rinkside

And if the new partner is someone already at WISA, then potentially the coaches are involved in arranging that as well.
It wouldn't be the first time someone found out their partner had a new partner at WISA. Or that their partner was to heavy and the coaches broke them up.

Colonel Green

Seriously. How do you do that to someone over email? And especially when they've been together a decade. :angryfire
Indeed, very poor form.

I know Eliana says she's planning to take a step back to consider things (I certainly would), but if I were Michael Parsons I'd be giving her a call. She's about as good a dancer as is currently available.

Who is the departing partner you are referring to?
Per Eliana's Instagram post, Ian dropped her by email.

chameleonster

Given that they're at the same rink, I would imagine that if Michael hasn't already found somebody, he's considered Eliana. It's understandable that she's still reeling, but I hope she gives it a shot. I think they would make a good match, and I have a hard time imagining them finding better partners that are as convenient(no coach or country hopping).

RoseRed

Given that they're at the same rink, I would imagine that if Michael hasn't already found somebody, he's considered Eliana. It's understandable that she's still reeling, but I hope she gives it a shot. I think they would make a good match, and I have a hard time imagining them finding better partners that are as convenient(no coach or country hopping).
If the coaches helped Ian find a new partner essentially behind her back (not that I know what happened, but I could see her thinking of it that way), she may not want to stay at WISA and train with Ian and his new partner.

But yes, I hope she and Michael consider it.

Colonel Green

If the coaches helped Ian find a new partner essentially behind her back (not that I know what happened, but I could see her thinking of it that way), she may not want to stay at WISA and train with Ian and his new partner.

But yes, I hope she and Michael consider it.
If the coaches were helping Ian arrange an exit while still taking Eliana's money, that's pretty unethical of them, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information