U.S. Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

Carolla5501

Unless Chock and Bates are a disaster at Nationals, I would say their spot on the World team is secure; they have a track record that none of the younger teams have, and they'd by default be expected to make the top 5 or 6 again.

Sadly I’d say you’re right. Even if they don’t skate well they’ll get the ticket. it’s probably pretty much predetermined who is going to be on the team before we even have the competition. And the body of work argument seems a little weak when your last skate was a year ago.

Colonel Green

Sadly I’d say you’re right. Even if they don’t skate well they’ll get the ticket. it’s probably pretty much predetermined who is going to be on the team before we even have the competition. And the body of work argument seems a little weak when your last skate was a year ago.
It’d be half a year, and that’s counting the summer where there aren’t any competitions. They only missed the Grand Prix. That hardly negates that they’ve been among the top six teams in the world the past quad.

Ena Grins

I guess I'm not totally sure we'll see Chock/Bates at Nationals, just because we don't know where she is in her recovery. I hope they'll be there - I'm curious to see what they're like with Marie France et al.

Dobre

Glad to hear that the Greens are headed for Sectionals!

I think it's too early to know whether we will see Chock & Bates or not this season.

It's still a little hard to tell how Hawayek/Baker compare to McNamara/Carpenter and the Parsons since the latter teams have each had multiple outings so far this season, while this is H/B's first time in front of the judges. I don't think we'll have a clear sense until Nationals are over.

Also since we haven't seen Hawayek & Baker's FD yet.

And since we haven't seen the end of this head-to-head.

And since we haven't seen a head-to-head between McNamara & Carpenter and Hawayek & Baker this season.

And since all three teams have 1-2 competitions left to go before Nationals.

And because it's always been hard to tell how Hawayek & Baker compare to McNamara & Carpenter and the Parsons.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf1314/CAT008RS.HTM

Lara111

Glad to hear that the Greens are headed for Sectionals!

I think it's too early to know whether we will see Chock & Bates or not this season.

Also since we haven't seen Hawayek & Baker's FD yet.

And since we haven't seen the end of this head-to-head.

And since we haven't seen a head-to-head between McNamara & Carpenter and Hawayek & Baker this season.

And since all three teams have 1-2 competitions left to go before Nationals.

And because it's always been hard to tell how Hawayek & Baker compare to McNamara & Carpenter and the Parsons.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf1314/CAT008RS.HTM
H/B do not look good at all. Magic did not happen with the new coaching team.

Debbie S

Yes, it is. The USFS announcement about their CoR w/d indicated they plan to compete at Nats. I hope they'll be able to compete by then! But if they aren't, they could be eligible to receive a medical bye to Worlds, pending monitoring. The Knierims got one 2 years ago (and B/A in 09) so there is precedent. But it's too early to speculate about that.

H/B do not look good at all. Magic did not happen with the new coaching team.
And probably too soon to conclude that. Especially given that Jean-Luc had a concussion this summer that limited their training.

Dobre

Yes, it is. The USFS announcement about their CoR w/d indicated they plan to compete at Nats. I hope they'll be able to compete by then! But if they aren't, they could be eligible to receive a medical bye to Worlds, pending monitoring.

I do think they could. Though if someone other that Hubbell & Donohue makes the GPF and then someone else beats that team at Nationals, that could get sticky.

Anyway, I'd really like to see C&B make it back by 4CCs if they're going to go to Worlds. Considering all the level 1s we've been seeing and the adaptations teams need to make under the new system. Mostly, I just think C&B are likely to show up ready or not at all.

Moustaffask8r

Yes, it is. The USFS announcement about their CoR w/d indicated they plan to compete at Nats. I hope they'll be able to compete by then! But if they aren't, they could be eligible to receive a medical bye to Worlds, pending monitoring. The Knierims got one 2 years ago (and B/A in 09) so there is precedent. But it's too early to speculate about that.

And probably too soon to conclude that. Especially given that Jean-Luc had a concussion this summer that limited their training.
I'm not sure you can compare the pairs field and ice dance field.... there is a lot of young good teams doing well internationaly that could easily be on the world team. Maybe it's better for Maddie that she takes her time and come back stronger next year than rushing back.

layman

I loved Hawayek and Baker's Freedance...the music choice was very unusual, a rock song with Baroque Continuo and bowing, that reminded me of Denkova and Staviski's Baroque Music choice many years ago. In addition to Denkova and Staviski I also saw movements and pictures influenced by Virtue and Moir, Lang and Tchernyshev, Dubreil and Lauzon and Torvill and Dean. This was the most sophisticated and nuanced dance that I have ever seen Hawayek and Baker attempt.

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
I'm not sure you can compare the pairs field and ice dance field.... there is a lot of young good teams doing well internationaly that could easily be on the world team. Maybe it's better for Maddie that she takes her time and come back stronger next year than rushing back.

Yeah but US could use another experienced team to help ensure 3 spots at worlds. Right now about 8-10 teams can get 74+ in RD and the younger teams don't have that kind of score, yet. And H/D isn't known for great consistency.

Not saying C/B has to come back for that, but if they could they would. Considering the late withdrawal, I'd say coming back is at least a very real possibility.

Last edited:

Jammers

It's time for the new younger US Ice Dance teams to start making their marks which they have been doing this season. I'm a bit tired of C/B who have been kinda leveling out over the last couple of seasons while the top US teams like the Shibs and H/D have been improving and moving up in the world. I see one maybe two younger teams passing up C/B by 2022 which would be nice to see new younger blood on the US team.

Dobre

We've got . . .
Papadakis & Cizeron
Hubbell & Donohue.
Weaver & Poje
Stepanova & Bukin
Sinitsina & Katsalapov
Gilles & Poirier
Guignard & Fabbri

7 Teams.

Russia only has two spots. The young U.S. teams could be competitive for 8th, I think. Competitive. Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson are total wildcards on the international scene at this stage of this season, and I count five more in-tact teams likely to make it to Worlds that have split placements with Hawayek & Baker over the past year.

And H/D isn't known for great consistency.

Nor are Chock & Bates nor Hawayek & Baker. And McNamara & Carpenter and the Parsons have never been through the senior Worlds experience at all.

Nerve wracking. Mostly because we know how good all these U.S. teams can be, and therefore, it's really hard to think of them missing out on an opening for next year. It's a lot to ask of any new team coming up at their first Worlds, as we saw last year with H&B during the SD. You like to see a new team be able to come up and have the experience without all that added pressure. But these teams can do it.

Ultimately, it's the first year of a quadrennium. Everyone is going to learn from it.

jlai

Question everything
We've got . . .
Papadakis & Cizeron
Hubbell & Donohue.
Weaver & Poje
Stepanova & Bukin
Sinitsina & Katsalapov
Gilles & Poirier
Guignard & Fabbri

7 Teams.

Russia only has two spots. The young U.S. teams could be competitive for 8th, I think. Competitive. Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson are total wildcards on the international scene at this stage of this season, and I count five more in-tact teams likely to make it to Worlds that have split placements with Hawayek & Baker over the past year.

Point well taken. :) Yes, I know Russia has two spots. I agree that a young US team could be 8th but that's the best to hope for, and like you said, there are quite a few teams with a shot at 8th - 13th.
Still, so many non-US teams are on the upswing that we could use C/B if they are healthy.

VGThuy

We could have a case where the US has three teams in the top ten but not garner three spots. Without C/B, we need one of the younger teams to place at least 8th or 9th to give H/D some breathing room so they won’t be pressured to have to medal to keep three spots. However, I do see H/D medaling.

Dobre

We could have a case where the US has three teams in the top ten but not garner three spots. Without C/B, we need one of the younger teams to place at least 8th or 9th to give H/D some breathing room so they won’t be pressured to have to medal to keep three spots. However, I do see H/D medaling.

Other U.S. teams doing well having always kept H&D from feeling pressure;).

rinettoii

Remember the new Emerging Athletes Program that happened during Champs Camp this past summer? According to the new issue of Skating magazine, Green/Green were invited but could not attend due to illness. Glad to hear that USFS recognizes their achievements.

Candbfan

Anybody know why there are no senior ice dance teams listed for the U.S. for Golden Spin? Are they really not going to send anybody or could they be waiting to see if an injured team like Chock/Bates might be ready to go for one of those spots?

topaz

Wow, at the comments about H/B. I know they lost training time with Jean Luc's injury however, I guess I'm only one who thought Kaitlin's skating looked much improved.

So for me, the switch to Gadbois is working out. Improved skating skills + more options for more choreographed difficult programs = Higher placements and better results.

clairecloutier

Wow, at the comments about H/B. I know they lost training time with Jean Luc's injury however, I guess I'm only one who thought Kaitlin's skating looked much improved.

Not only does Kaitlin's skating look improved, I thought that H/B's partnering, chemistry, and general unison and connection as a team looked better than ever at NHK. JMO.

Debbie S

Can someone point me to an information about sectionals this week? Now with Icenetwork gone there is no place to see the list of participants scores etc.
There is a thread on Sectionals here in the K&C section. If you don't have a subscription, you can go to the USFS website and then their Fan Zone page, search under Comp Central, and see the links to each Sectional which will take you to the results page once they are live, which will probably be later today or early tomorrow.

layman

You're not the only one who thinks that Kaitlin's skills have improved, topaz. I think so too.
I think Kaitlin and Jean-Luc match well by now and the Montreal coaching team will help them develop more.
I also agree regarding Hawayek and Baker. I see tremendous improvement in partnering, emotional connection, speed and confidence.

The one word that comes to mind when I watch their new Freedance is...Masterpiece. I have been watching the dance over and over and over again. I am profoundly moved by it.

Sylvia

TBD
NBC Sports Gold Eastern Sectional - Jr. Rhythm Dance 8:50 pm EST (tonight)

ETA that only 2 Jr. teams are competing at Easterns: Caroline Green/Gordon Green and Oona Brown/Gage Brown.
Emma Gunter/Caleb Wein are listed as "Entry Withdrawn" and it appears their season is over. :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information